Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Good front offices use the offseason to address team needs and strengthen the weak spots on the roster.

The Redskins used it to replace known strengths with question marks, new problems, and downgrades on both sides of the ball.

We are a worse team today than we were yesterday.

A good front office figures out how to take the next step and get better, realizing that the end goal is a Super Bowl win.

Our front office is content to try and tread water while adding more hurdles, less talent, and question marks at more positions than before. 

Staying pat isn't the goal.  Going 50/50 with less talent doesn't prove you are a smart franchise.  it proves your too stupid to know what the point of running a team is.

Bruce thinks getting similar output to last season with less resources counts as a win.  It doesn't.  It's just a unnecessary re-arrangement that ends in a different way to lose and stay irrelevant.  

5 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Because he has given zero indication that he has any interest in that? He refused to even come to the table last year, he "wants to test FA before talking to us this year" etc etc. There's obviously some bad blood between him and some members of the FO. He indicated he would play for us on the tag again but in terms of LTD - We can't pay him the most money, we don't offer him the best chance to win a SB, and he obviously doesn't really care all that much about the franchise so what makes you think he would sign a fair market deal?

Players always want to sign fair market deals to stay with their teams.  What I feel the people justifying this debacle by saying "Well, Kirk didn't want to be here" are willfully ignoring is that fact that, if Kirk truly didn't want to be here, it was because 

The Front Office ****ing botched his contract negotiations at every turn.

That alone is a fireable offense.

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Here comes the yards argument again. I will just stop here. Smiths INT% ALONE makes him a better option than Cousins. Just saying.

Oh we are going to hate Smith because of his interception percentage. Trust me on this one.

Smith does not throw the ball into traffic....ever. And he will not throw with a hand in his face.

Smith will take the check down and take the sack on third down every single time over risking the interception. It's not even something he thinks about any longer. It's an instinct like breathing.

On the one hand, we have pretty good receiving running backs, and Jordan Reed should thrive if he stays healthy. On the other, our receivers are not good enough to ever get themselves open to the point that Smith will trust a throw to them. We are going to lead the league in 13 play drives that end in a field goal.

37 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I'm sad this morning.  Not because of the trade, but because of my reaction to it.  Which bordered on indifference.  My passion for this team has gone.  It had been fading over many seasons. But it kind of snuck up on me. This event crystallized how far gone it is, and it was an eye-opening realization.

I can count on one hand the number of games I've missed watching over the last couple of decades.  And two of those came last season.  That number will likely rise.  I'll still watch.  I'll still cheer. And like a bandwagon fan, if they ever become good again, I'll become more invested once again.  But to quote B.B. King, the thrill is gone.

That's why I'm sad this morning.

Yeah but it could be other things, you know.  In my own life, I didn't watch one single complete game (I watched halves and quarters but only a handful) of football--college or pro.  Both my teams were at least competitive.  I used to watch football all the time.

Now, I'd rather learn (intellectual or some sort of craft), have fun, relax and not worry about a sport that's been changed for the worse over the last decade plus and may end up dying out within two generations.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Players always want to sign fair market deals to stay with their teams.  What I feel the people justifying this debacle by saying "Well, Kirk didn't want to be here" are willfully ignoring is that fact that, if Kirk truly didn't want to be here, it was because 

The Front Office ****ing botched his contract negotiations at every turn.

Have you seen me defending the FO? Do you really think I'm blind to their failing here?

They screwed it up, but I'm sick of the "poor Kirk" narrative. If the kid is that hurt by the way he's been treated in Washington then he needs to grow a pair. If he isn't that hurt and wants to be here then why didn't he bother negotiating last year? Why wasn't he on the phone the day after the season ended trying to work something out instead of waiting for the FA bidding frenzy. He has no interest in giving us any kind of discount. What he will end up getting paid is not the market rate for QBs of his calibre (unless he signs for Denver where he would take a discount if he is truthful about it not being all about the money).

Kirk does not want to be here, and would not have signed a fair market deal to do so. End of story. Whatever mistakes the FO have made in the past have been made, and they are rightly pilioried for them, but Kirk Cousins does not want to be a Redskin and hasn't for quite a while.

5 minutes ago, Saeth29 said:

Well that's just false...

LOL, yes of course it is. I mean how could it be possible? lllllllllllllooooooooooollllllllllllllll 

Jay will change that. 

I actually like Smith's metrics and do think he is better for Jay than Cousins. 

23 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Im Meh on Smith over Cousins, mainly due to the age. What really makes me angry is us trading one of our best young players, and the best slot DB in the league, for a 33 year old QB. Mind boggling. Ill tune in for the games on Sunday but I have to step away from this team until the season. So done with Bruce Allen. I wouldnt trade Fuller for Alex Smith straight up, let alone WITH a fricken 3rd round pick.

This is where I am. Feels like he's just sitting up in his nice mansion with a **** eating grin, calling us all suckers.

I think I hate him more than Vinny now.

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh we are going to hate Smith because of his interception percentage. Trust me on this one.

Smith does not throw the ball into traffic....ever. And he will not throw with a hand in his face.

Smith will take the check down and take the sack on third down every single time over risking the interception. It's not even something he thinks about any longer. It's an instinct like breathing.

That's demonstrable nonsense. You only have to look at his highlights from last season on youtube to see he is willing to throw into traffic and throw under pressure. At least Smith will take the checkdown, rather than watching another season of Kirk ignoring a wide open checkdown whilst trying to sit in the pocket for 30seconds until it's a sack/fumble.

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

If my only goal was to survive and make money as an NFL QB for a long time, Alex Smith would be my hero.  At some point he figured out that he could keep coaches happy and hold down a job in perpetuity by playing the position with abject cowardice.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-chiefs-qb-alex-smiths-2017-improvement

Smith aired the ball out on opening day, connecting on a couple of long touchdown passes to WR Tyreek Hill and Hunt out of the backfield, but they were both more a product of the scheme busting players wide open down the field and less a product of this new, aggressive Alex Smith. As reticent as Smith has always been to uncork the deep pass, even he has always been happy to put the ball in the air when he has as much open space to look at as he had on these passes.

2017-10-11_21-57-03.jpg

Smith definitively has been more aggressive across the board this season however. He hasn’t become a gunslinger overnight, but he has significantly increased the frequency with which he goes deep, which had been a big cap on his play to date. In 2016, Smith went deep on just 9.4 percent of his passes, which was tied for 31st in the league, ahead of only Sam Bradford and the disastrous Minnesota Vikings offensive line, and Colin Kaepernick.

This season his frequency has increased enough to rank 14th, ahead of Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton and Aaron Rodgers through five weeks. In raw number terms, only ten quarterbacks have attempted more than the 19 deep passes that Smith has attempted so far this season.

We are stuck in a constant loop of mediocrity. If we wanted to let Kirk walk that’s fine, use McCoy and lose games that way. With this trade we get a competent qb signed up for three years who will probably lead us to 6-8 win seasons and no playoffs. We also lose a very promising corner and a draft pick. Dumb trade. 

It's going to be hilarious next year reading all you guys try to justify Checkdown Alex until it sets in for everybody that he's not ever ever ever going to win anything, especially not on the Redskins with little to no talent.

As for me, I'm done with Snyders fantasy football team. I'm just around for the comedy now. :rofl89:

They just spent more on Alex ****ING Smith than they would have had to for Cousins even before last season if they had pulled their heads out of their asses. HAHAHAHA

:rofl89:

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Players always want to sign fair market deals to stay with their teams.  What I feel the people justifying this debacle by saying "Well, Kirk didn't want to be here" are willfully ignoring is that fact that, if Kirk truly didn't want to be here, it was 

*McQueen is angry*

That's a lot of font there, fella. 

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A level of incompetence in management whereby Bruce Allen makes--I don't make this multi-sport analogy lightly--Ernie Grunfeld look like Theo Epstein in comparison.

When you unpack the layers of fail in this debacle it will end your fanhood.  Don't forget that we're also going to have to let a franchise QB walk for nothing in your calculation.  Could have traded him last year and drafted DeShaun Watson.  Could have held off on taking a bad deal for Smith to try and tag and trade Kirk this offseason.  The Smith trade was an awful desperation move performed so that an unworthy front office might keep their jobs another year.

Here is what it says to me. It says to me that Dan Snyder has a spreadsheet somewhere that shows that as long as the team averages 7-9 each year, the revenue will stay the same the same. I think that 3-13 season under Shanahan spooked him badly as that was the closest to a full-on fan revolt as he ever saw.

The moves under Allen since then have been shockingly conservative. We are suddenly very concerned about not overpaying. There is an emphasis on stability and depth and roster balance. But it's been done at the price of actually having stars. It's not a roster with just ridiculously glaring holes - except maybe at safety. But it's also not a roster with anyone that anyone else would really want - with the possible exceptions of Williams, Norman for one year, and maybe sort of Kerrigan.

It's a roster absolutely built to go 7-9 or 8-8 every single year.

With Alex Smith as your QB, I think the absolute floor of a season is 6-10. That's if everything that can possibly go wrong does go wrong. On his own with limited weapons, he'll get you to 8-8. Give him the weapons KC had last year - and that offense was loaded - and you'll win the division.

This seems to be what Allen and Snyder want now. The Skins don't really dream big any longer. The goal is currently to avoid disaster.

2 minutes ago, UKskins said:

That's demonstrable nonsense. You only have to look at his highlights from last season on youtube to see he is willing to throw into traffic and throw under pressure. At least Smith will take the checkdown, rather than watching another season of Kirk ignoring a wide open checkdown whilst trying to sit in the pocket for 30seconds until it's a sack/fumble.

Which one is it?  Kirk is captain checkdown that just dumps off to check downs? Or he just sits in the pocket for an hour?

Even though there is a load of information out there that disqualifies both of those narratives.

The fact is, your allegiance to the team supercedes your desire to utilize logic.  That's fandom and that's fine for you.  It burns your ass that Kirk isn't in love with being a Redskin, fine.  

It doesn't alarm you at all that the QB doesn't feel positive about the FO's ability to build a winner, that numerous players are outraged about this and don't really care to hide it?  That doesn't sound off any alarms that perhaps they are right?

Archived