Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

4 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Are Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and the KC offensive line included in the trade?

The Redskins have nothing like the talent he had around him in KC.  You can bet he will slip back to the old Alex Smith in 2018.  Count on it.

We have no RB's, barely any WR's, no reliable TE'a, and an eternally non run blocking offense. This will go smashingly.

If there's one thing to rejoice in, it's that regardless of what side (Darkside/Rebellion) you were on, Bruce Allen through one of the most wtf football transactions I have ever seen, united this fanbase again, because whether you wanted Cousins gone, or wanted him to stay, the way this was handled, was just Vinny Bug Eyes bad

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This closes the book on the RGlll/KC drama....

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hehehehehehehehbwaahahahahahahahahahaahaha

*gasps*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Funny **** bro lolol

I can't wait for when Bruce Allen goes to the podium to introduce his new starting QB, but winds up calling him "Alice Smith."

By the way, For his next big move, Bruce is exploring options on filling "Deuce" Gruden's position with Richie Simmons. Skins FO likes this idea, because they feel it will positions them well, marketing wise,  for when the Skins agree to be on Hard Knocks.

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont forget we got an EXCELLENT qb out of the deal. Smith's numbers were better than Cousins last year. And his career winning percentage and TD% are FAR abve anything Cousins has ever done.

Are you really able to sleep better at night telling yourself this bull****?  Let me know of any team that Smith has been on that had such poor defensive play along with so few offensive weapons AND he was able to come within the same stratosphere as cousins as far as play and numbers, and then we can talk.  This trade is horrible from top to bottom.  No matter where Cousins goes next year, even if it is to the Browns, he will be a winner.  The Redskins will be out of the playoff hunt in December in 2018. 

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Then why not just go with Mccoy for free?? Or maybe sign a stop gap (keenum/bradford/Taylor) why make a splashy trade and give up a young prospect on the cheap while doing it...thats what i dont get how is this trade making the organization better.

I didn't say they made the right move, just that I understand having to do something.

I dunno, Smith gives you a chance to win at least. He's been to big games and knows what it takes.

I don't think the trade made the team better, if anything maybe slightly worse due to the fact that they gave away Fuller.

But let's not kid ourselves, this team sucked ass before the trade and will suck ass after. It's not like we're coming off a divisional playoff loss.

We just finished another dud season with another wilt job at the end by Kirk.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I try my hardest not to hate people with different views, particularly about football.  I try to acknowledge that just because people don't immerse themselves in it to the extent that I do nor understand it, that it doesn't mean they are bad people all around.

But this thread basically makes me lose all hope for this fan base.  I actually thought the fan base was coming around and had seen enough to really smarten up.  But it goes to show that they will literally cover their eyes and plug their ears to common sense and make themselves believe anything for the love of the team.  I've always known fandom was a crazy thing, but being willfully ignorant is just not for me.

^^^ This ^^^

A million times this.  It's maddening that some fans are finding a way to justify this epic failure.  They need to step back for a moment and look at what has transpired.  First, this FO is letting a homegrown top half of the league QB (that's likely being conservative) hit the road for nothing after paying him a LOT of dough the last 2 years.  Instead of accepting that failure, and thinking things through slowly and rationally, they panic and make a trade for 34 year old QB who just had a career year on a team stacked with offensive talent.  And he tailed off at the end of that season in fact.  On top of that, the Skins FO overpays by letting an up and coming slot CB who made a big jump last year (only his 2nd).  Finally, this FO finishes off their day of ineptitude by wedding themselves to this 34 y.o. average QB for the next 5 years.

Just now, fordranger76 said:

I also wish people would remember that Cousins was nothing before Gruden got here. It's getting lost in all of the craziness. Perhaps our coach might just be ok and is able to get production out of a certain style QB? Nah that can't be it. 

Your argument makes no sense. If this is the case then you don't make a deal like this, you let Gruden work his magic with someone else and keep the young, cheap assets. 

A completely neutral switch in terms of QBs. Alex Smith might even end up being a downgrade compared to Cousins.

And we give up a draft pick and solid cornerback.

****ing LOL at this team. They are consistently bad to mediocre because they get hustled year after year by better, smarter teams. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

We have no RB's, barely any WR's, no reliable TE'a, and an eternally non run blocking offense. This will go smashingly.

If there's one thing to rejoice in, it's that regardless of what side (Darkside/Rebellion) you were on, Bruce Allen through one of the most wtf football transactions I have ever seen, united this fanbase again, because whether you wanted Cousins gone, or wanted him to stay, the way this was handled, was just Vinny Bug Eyes bad

True. We do have an appropriate bad guy again and until we start winning thats all we really need. 

17 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We'll see how excellent he is without that excellent supporting cast he had in KC.

He has been excellent in the past without a great supporting cast? He was 6-2 and having the best season of his career in San Fran in 2012. Then got a concussion and lost his job to Kaepernick. Most thought that was the wrong the decision and he got screwed. He then went to KC and carried that team on his back for 4 years? I dont know what more you could want out of a QB than Smith. The guy is a great player and leader. We HAD to have a QB for 2018. Cousins wasnt going to sign here. Check out Smiths stats since 2011:

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2017 Kansas City Chiefs 15 505 341 67.5 33.7 4,042 8.0 269.5 26 5.1 5 1.0 79T 52 13 35 207 104.7

2016 Kansas City Chiefs 15 489 328 67.1 32.6 3,502 7.2 233.5 15 3.1 8 1.6 80T 39 8 28 140 91.2

2015 Kansas City Chiefs 16 470 307 65.3 29.4 3,486 7.4 217.9 20 4.3 7 1.5 80T 42 10 45 235 95.4

2014 Kansas City Chiefs 15 464 303 65.3 30.9 3,265 7.0 217.7 18 3.9 6 1.3 70T 40 3 45 229 93.4

2013 Kansas City Chiefs 15 508 308 60.6 33.9 3,313 6.5 220.9 23 4.5 7 1.4 71T 42 6 39 210 89.1

2012 San Francisco 49ers 10 218 153 70.2 21.8 1,737 8.0 173.7 13 6.0 5 2.3 55 22 4 24 137 104.1

2011 San Francisco 49ers 16 445 273 61.3 27.8 3,144 7.1 196.5 17 3.8 5 1.1 56T 41 6 44 263 90.7

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hehehehehehehehbwaahahahahahahahahahaahaha

*gasps*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Funny **** bro lolol

You laugh but look at it from Jay Gruden's perspective. He inherited a real mess with the RGlll/KC issues and now gets a fresh start without any ego's being hurt. This also puts the onus on him to make this all work. 

I haven't reacted specifically to this deal yet as I wanted to clear my head before making some knee-jerk post. I've gone through every single post in this thread in the process, so here is where I'm at.

1) Alex Smith is a very good QB and a prototypical fit for WCO and he is about the best match for Gruden we could find of the FA QB's. If the FO liked him enough then I don't blame them for pulling the trigger and locking him up. I don't love his contract figures but will wait and see how this shakes out before criticising it too much. The devil will be in the detail but I think it's safe to assume we won't be cutting him before the end of Year 3. However, we have paid market rate for the services of a decent if not outstanding QB, and one that is a great fit for Jay. I don't see him as better than Cousins in terms of skill set, but I don't see him being much worse either. Jay is very good at getting creative in the passing game and Smith has great ability to make plays with his legs and throw on the run. They will work something out that is productive - I don't doubt that. We need a WR weapon, but Crowder is capable of being good even coming off a bad season last year, and Doctson has shown some promise and made decent developmental progress last season - I have a feeling he's going to breakout next season - Kirk hates throwing into coverage, Smith is willing to take a shot. Doctson's game is based on winning the ball due to his wingspan and 50/50 ball ability - I expect him to get a lot more targets. I want another decent WR in the building, but a RB is absolutely crucial. We can't have another season with no running game.

2) I don't love the trade, but I can live with it. This kinda depends on where we go from here - if this is taken in complete isolation, then the trade is nuclear bad, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum - there are other factors here.

- Firstly Fabian was an absolute beast on teams. He flew to the ball and made the tackle several times. He is quick, and he was graded out as 1st round talent before the injury. If the coaches believe he is ready to break out this season then losing Fuller is a lesser blow. I hate that we've lost Fuller, that kid is going to be an outstanding player for a long time, but if you feel you can get nearly the same production out of a guy you already have in house then you can afford to do this although I don't think any of us are very thrilled about it - but if that's what it took to get the deal done then that's a price you have to pay. 

- Secondly, if we can somehow leverage this into a tag and trade with Denver then it is ideal. I really doubt this scenario plays out, but if it does then you have to credit the FO for being aggressive in getting Smith in the building early to allow them to do that with no pressure scrabbling around for a JAG once that deal got done.

- Thirdly, Cousins did not want to be here, and I get the impression he's actually a bit of an idiot and a diva. I hate Bruce Allen with a passion, but I don't actually like Cousins very much either. There is no narrative that he wants to be here because his actions don't tie up with that. The result is either he's an absolute mercenary who will play for anyone for money, or he wants to be on a team that can compete and he doesn't think the Skins can. The whole "God told me not to sign a LTD" business last season drew the line in the sand for me, because that is the biggest pile of bull**** to come out of the whole situation. The dude doesn't have the stones to front up and be honest about a situation.
 - Fourthly, we now have a lot of flexibility in the draft. I expect us to go WR or RB in the first (more likely RB unless we pick up a marquee FA RB) to give Smith some help, but equally could go ILB as the defense has more holes than Swiss cheese. Going into the draft being hamstrung by a QB situation would have forced us into a stupid more expensive trade up mortgaging the house on Mayfield or someone - you know how this FO rolls. I like Mayfield and there's a lot of good QBs in the draft I would be happy with but I would LOVE us to pick up Lauletta to sit behind Alex Smith for a few years. If you're going to sit a guy and develop him, let him learn from Alex Smith rather than Colt McCoy. If we're going to make a trade then I'm glad we pulled the trigger on this than giving up our next 18 years of first and second round picks to move up 3 spots in the draft or something equally as dumb.

3) Smith is a leader and will give us a much needed locker room presence, and he has a winning mentality. I trust him to put the game on his shoulders when we're down 4 points with 1:40 to go, whereas with Cousins I'd have thrown the towel in (sometimes resulting in pleasant surprise, often resulting in infuriating pick thrown straight at a DB to end the game). I've posted before about Kirk losing the game in his head before it's over on the field and I haven't changed my stance on that. Not all the time, but pretty often if we were down at half time he'd come out ready to throw some picks in the third Q because his head wasn't in the game.

4) I think the FO did Fuller all kinds of wrong by not even telling him he was traded. That's just not how you treat people. Bruce is a moron and a classless human being (if he is indeed a human being)

5) The sky is not falling. We had a team that looked pretty good before the injuries. I hope we can retain enough of them to be competitive and replacing scrubs like Pryor will help us with that, although I think we have burnt some bridges with the Defense, I think they'll get over it pretty quickly.

6) I am so freaking happy that the Cousins drama is over. I'm just sick of it. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

something else to think about, this basically means there's not a chance in hell that Kyle Fuller will sign here in free agency and he's one of my top targets... brother of Kendall.... shame

You're just figuring that out? First thing that came to mind. 

One (of my many) concerns about losing Cousins was that it might dilute the FA pool for us - someone wanting to join a winning organization wouldn’t see it here.  On one hand, that was mitigated by acquiring Smith.  On the other hand, (despite some of the posts on here), including Fuller in the deal was a boneheaded move - reporters think so, other GMs think so, our players think so.  Our FO just showed themselves (again) to be incompetent... So that FA pool will remain diluted.  

Again, Fuller was our best player last year, and on a rookie contract.  I’m excited about Moreau, but 1) chances he becomes our best player, and the highest ranked a lot player in the league are nil, and 2) we just took a big hit at the one position we had a lot of depth.  

I’m curious how Manusky takes this.  Recall his interview after his hiring and corner was one of his most valued positions.  Breeland was benched last year, so I doubt paying him big money to ‘replace’ Fuller is going to be received well.  

For the people who think Alex Smith is an upgrade at QB, what do you think his numbers will look like next year?  Let's set it in stone so we can look at it next year.  Will he have his 2nd 4000+ passing yard season ever?  Will he crack 20 TDs (has only done it 3 times)?

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Outside of his career year last year, he's basically Tyrod Taylor.  Yippee!  9-7, at best, and an embarrassing loss in the playoffs.  

Smith has led his team to 11 wins in 3 of the last 5 season. 23 TD's only 5 picks this season. He is a great alternative to KC without having to start over. Plus he can run a little bit. Also, don't overlook the fact that he put up great numbers with his successor being groomed behind him. 

18 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Are Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and the KC offensive line included in the trade?

The Redskins have nothing like the talent he had around him in KC.  You can bet he will slip back to the old Alex Smith in 2018.  Count on it.

Slip back to old Alex Smith? I posted his stats above. NONE of them are bad except his first couple of seasons????

3 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Completely disagree with you..

The writing is on the wall, we're going QB with our first pick, many writers had us going QB. You have a veteran ( though he's captain---check that Chief Checkdown) who can tutor our future QB, and whose going to be cheaper than Cousins will be.

The team has Alex Smith signed for the next 5 (!!!!!!) years with $70 million in guaranteed money. You don't make that deal and then draft your future QB. Smith is the QB through 2020, I would think. That's the year you go after a young QB - which means our future franchise QB is probably an incoming freshman right now.

The team just took a solid CB and a third round pick and set it on fire in order to give an older Kirk Cousins the contract they should have given Kirk Cousins a year ago.

I think Smith is fine. I think our QB play will be roughly the same next year. From a play on the field standpoint, the end result is about equal. From a running a team standpoint, what the hell just happened?

Archived