Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Gonna keep fanning the flames of my anger over this offline so that when i log in here every few days I can feel honest shock each time people here talk themselves into this ****show. That emotional contrast is the only thing keeping me from just being numb and never watching these fools again. Thank you, gullible dummies. 

Just now, fordranger76 said:

You have to remember more than likely Smith did want to be here due to the contract extension. Smith easily could have said "Nope I'm playing on a one year deal" and then we would have been in the same boat all over again. So yes I would say with the extension he wanted to somewhat be here.

Why wouldn't he want to cash in on 71M guaranteed at the age of 34 years old?  He'd be stupid not to.

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

I am OK with all that, I just don't know why you give up a corner like Fuller to pull it off, I think you are undervaluing him. 

The trade doesn’t happen without Fuller. He was the sacrificial piece. He’s got a long career ahead of him, so perhaps you are correct. But, make no mistake, without Fuller this deal doesn’t get done. So, which is it?  A proven starter at QB for the next 2-4 years or a stud corner for the next 10?  Very difficult to bottom that one out from my perspective. 

20 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Not hearing from the team when he has publically said he doesn't want to hear from the team because he isn't going to talk to them before the tag deadline? Like I said - he could have picked the phone up himself instead of creating a sideshow with that dumb mantra. Everybody wants to be where they're wanted. He said in the season he felt wanted in Washington last year, they tagged him two years in a row. Unless he specifically wanted Bruce on his knees to prove how much he was wanted then that mantra is nothing but an empty, meaningless soundbite.

Isn't it clear that the team didn't want him anymore? Jay Gruden didn't give him a great endorsement after the season and the front office was never sold on KC. You know, Bruce Allen is taking huge hits on this but maybe he talks with Gruden and it's JG who was never really sold on KC? Gruden inherited KC and is on record as saying the KC wasn't comfortable with making all of the throws in the offense. I expect JG to be thrilled that he gets to work with Alex Smith in the coming seasons and to be glad all of the KC drama is behind them. This closes the book on the RGlll/KC drama....

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont forget we got an EXCELLENT qb out of the deal. Smith's numbers were better than Cousins last year. And his career winning percentage and TD% are FAR abve anything Cousins has ever done.

Are Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and the KC offensive line included in the trade?

The Redskins have nothing like the talent he had around him in KC.  You can bet he will slip back to the old Alex Smith in 2018.  Count on it.

Boy, this is one time when I wish I didn't go to sleep early, and turned on sports radio this morning in the car

Here I am in the gym and I see "Alex Smith traded to Redskins" flash across the screen, and I want to say "Okay, well at least it's all over"

Then it's followed up by "3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller included as compensation"

This is gonna be a long off-season :kickcan:

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Unbelievable.

they took a bad situation that they created themselves and made it worse.

We now have the same QB,,  just a lot older and finished developing,, there isn't any more ceiling with Smith, whereas I don't think Cousins has reached his ceiling yet.

Making the move with the third round pick is dumb enough..  but then throwing in Kendall Fuller..  

yesterday, CB was a position of strength,, probably the position with the most talent of any on the team. Fuller is a bright young rising star. 

Now he's gone, and with the imminent departure of Breeland, the CB position goes right back to being tentative,  and devoid of depth.

****ing brilliant. I am starting to see a trend here. Redskins draft and develop young players, other teams players, other coaches take note and praise them, and out the ****ing door they go. Honestly, if I was the giants or Cowboys, I'd be on TV right now saing how much we think Ryan Kerrigan is a star, how impressed we are with Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff. Dumbass Allen will trade them for a punter and 5 Bazooka Joe comics by morning.

With this choice made,, even though i was dead set against the idea, I now think we would have been better off just going with McCoy.

It's the same situation,, the team is signalling it doesnt want to win now, no matter how much anyone would like to point to Smith's numbers. He's as good as he's going to get and it isn't goo enough. He comes here where there is no running game to take the pressure off of him.

If we'd have gone with McCoy, dumb as it would have been, at least we could start trying to build it back up faster.

Congratulations, Bruce. This is a move Vinny Ceratto would have made. 

~Ugh

Completely disagree with you..

The writing is on the wall, we're going QB with our first pick, many writers had us going QB. You have a veteran ( though he's captain---check that Chief Checkdown) who can tutor our future QB, and whose going to be cheaper than Cousins will be.

In terms of Cousins celing, yea I still feel he can win a SB

The CB position, yea I hate losing Fuller,  they must see and like something in Moreau though, he has the same story Fuller had coming out of college. 1st day talent who fell due to injury. And the 3rd you traded with him, you're getting back in the form of a compensatory pick. KC knew this and felt they could fleece us of talent and they got what they wanted. Of course with KC now, who knows how long Mahomes will take to develop, and if it takes a couple seasons guess what, they gotta pay Peters AND Fuller too. What did Norman get? You think KC can pay that TWICE???

Yes CB is kinda weak right now, but you can fix it in THIS draft, and sign a vet in FA, problem solved..

Yea going with McCoy, I mean this is the same McCoy that beat Dallas in Dallas on Monday night, the same Cowboy team that was a bad call away from the championship game that year..

I don't know, by the time you really draft and develop this team, with all of its holes and depth issues, would it have been too late for Cousins if you kept him, instead you draft the future in May and buy yourself some time..

Its the Wentz era in the NFC east right now and I think Bruce is preparing us to match that era with something long term

That's what I'm going to tell myself...

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gonna keep fanning the flames of my anger over this offline so that when i log in here every few days I can feel honest shock each time people here talk themselves into this ****show. That emotional contrast is the only thing keeping me from just being numb and never watching these fools again. Thank you, gullible dummies. 

Must be nice to have a crystal ball!  Send us all some stock pics while you marinate in your shock ?

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I try my hardest not to hate people with different views, particularly about football.  I try to acknowledge that just because people don't immerse themselves in it to the extent that I do nor understand it, that it doesn't mean they are bad people all around.

But this thread basically makes me lose all hope for this fan base.  I actually thought the fan base was coming around and had seen enough to really smarten up.  But it goes to show that they will literally cover their eyes and plug their ears to common sense and make themselves believe anything for the love of the team.  I've always known fandom was a crazy thing, but being willfully ignorant is just not for me.

Now that I've had some time to marinate on this and kick it around, I have a few observations.

1. No matter what, Bruce is a first class asshole and moron.

2. It takes 2 to tango, Kirk would not respond to any offer until he got FA offers, and much like last year never even replied to any offers the team made. So in that regard I understand they had to make a move and do something, even if it's not the ideal situation.

3. Smith isn't a bad qb, he won't set the world on fire but he's started and won games.

4. For all the hype about how we've downgraded/got worse, don't forget that through all the years of Kirk starting we've never won more than 9 games.

5. Let's say we do worse, finish 6-10 or 8-8. Where's the difference? Still not a good team, still not going to the playoffs. I don't see much difference between 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8. They all still suck as far as records go.

6. I don't like losing Fuller, but collectively the defense has always sucked ass, Fuller or no Fuller. You'd think a team with guys like Norman, Kerrigan, Swearinger, Allen, Smith, Brown, Breeland etc would be able to do better than 25th or worse in about every major category. Those guys are all studs and collectively they suck ass.

In the end I see this as a lateral move. Not improving, maybe a little worse without Fuller but it didn't move the needle from a 12+ win team to a suddenly 7 win team.

This was a perennial 6 or 7 win team with or without Kirk, with or without Fuller.

I have no problem with Alex Smith vs Kirk.

I have no problem with the contract (we still don't know the details that matter).

I do not like losing Kendall Fuller! Not at all. The organization better be right on this one.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Death, Taxes, and Pollyanna Redskins fans eating a **** burger and desperately convincing themselves it tastes good.  I would feel compassion for them if they weren't trying to gaslight the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

DJ needs to shut up. I'm upset that Fuller is gone also, but he needs to keep some of these thoughts in house.

No, good for him. Someone on the team is finally opening their damn mouth who has access to the front office.

Not that it will change anything and he will probably be put in the dog house now, but its really stupid to trade away young, hardworking talent for an over the hill qb. 

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

DJ needs to shut up. I'm upset that Fuller is gone also, but he needs to keep some of these thoughts in house.

:ols:

It's hard to keep your thoughts to yourself when you bear witness to such tomfoolery and you have to be along for the ride.

Perhaps you should think about WHY Cousins doesn't want to be here long term, and WHY many players are speaking out about his and don't care about who they rub wrong with it.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

BUT TOM BRADY IS 41!!!!11!!1111!!!

Here is the bigger issue. Every player I've seen on Twitter last night is shocked, at best. Swearinger's reaction:

I'm kinda numb to the Fuller thing.  Fuller was our slot corner, and what this does essentially opens the door for Breeland coming back, who was starting over him.  I want to see more from Fabian Moreau before I really freak out about Fuller being gone.

1 minute ago, Tay said:

I have no problem with Alex Smith vs Kirk.

I have no problem with the contract (we still don't know the details that matter).

I do not like losing Kendall Fuller! Not at all. The organization better be right on this one.

I can save you the time and heart ache.

They aren't. 

1 minute ago, crabbypatty said:

Now that I've had some time to marinate on this and kick it around, I have a few observations.

1. No matter what, Bruce is a first class asshole and moron.

2. It takes 2 to tango, Kirk would not respond to any offer until he got FA offers, and much like last year never even replied to any offers the team made. So in that regard I understand they had to make a move and do something, even if it's not the ideal situation.

3. Smith isn't a bad qb, he won't set the world on fire but he's started and won games.

4. For all the hype about how we've downgraded/got worse, don't forget that through all the years of Kirk starting we've never won more than 9 games.

5. Let's say we do worse, finish 6-10 or 8-8. Where's the difference? Still not a good team, still not going to the playoffs. I don't see much difference between 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8. They all still suck as far as records go.

6. I don't like losing Fuller, but collectively the defense has always sucked ass, Fuller or no Fuller. You'd think a team with guys like Norman, Kerrigan, Swearinger, Allen, Smith, Brown, Breeland etc would be able to do better than 25th or worse in about every major category. Those guys are all studs and collectively they suck ass.

In the end I see this as a lateral move. Not improving, maybe a little worse without Fuller but it didn't move the needle from a 12+ win team to a suddenly 7 win team.

This was a perennial 6 or 7 win team with or without Kirk, with or without Fuller.

Then why not just go with Mccoy for free?? Or maybe sign a stop gap (keenum/bradford/Taylor) why make a splashy trade and give up a young prospect on the cheap while doing it...thats what i dont get how is this trade making the organization better.

3 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Must be nice to have a crystal ball!  Send us all some stock pics while you marinate in your shock ?

Process > outcome. Skins don't understand that and neither do many fans. That's why we are capable of a 10-6 playoff year once in a while in the midst of a historically bad stretch. This FO has no idea what it's doing regardless of how well or poorly Alex Smith plays. 

Archived