Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Well, they traded Champ before and probably figure they got away with it.

I'm with you. I thought trading Fuller was a mistake.

That Champ trade was push come to shove, he wasn't signing here. At least we got something for him. Are they going to get something for Cousins now? Did it just up the anty or lowering it? I think by having Smith done, it lowers it...sadly. 

10 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Says in this article deal can't be completed until March 14th at 3:00PM....hmmmm

I'm wondering if they've agreed to a deal with some team to trade KC before they executed this?

Kevin Sheehan was discussing this theory on 980 this morning and I wondered it last night.  What if they told Kirk, "we're going to let you go but we want a sign and trade in place to do that." before they executed this Alex Smith thing?

Good thing they saved the extra money for the CAP by signing Smith instead of Cousins.

Now they can use that money to go pay for a corner back to replace Fuller with and be right where they would have been had they signed Cousins.

Great job FO, great job...

I heard Casserly say that the reason that Alex Smith was able to finally attain 4K yards, was that KC went to a spread offense.   I hope Jay plans to use the spread a lot more.  Heck, we wouldn't even let our prized pick running back run from the gun / pistol despite only 2 100 yard games last year.

Look at the bright side, at least Allen didn't throw in our 13th overall or a 2nd rounder.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Well, they traded Champ before and probably figure they got away with it.

I'm with you. I thought trading Fuller was a mistake.

It absolutely is. And the fact that they did it shows that they have no idea how to value players and will never learn. 

I can't root for perpetual stupid. 

5 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

That Champ trade was push come to shove, he wasn't signing here. At least we got something for him. Are they going to get something for Cousins now? Did it just up the anty or lowering it? I think by having Smith done, it lowers it...sadly. 

What could they possibly get for Cousins? They still  have absolutely no leverage in the situation. He is gone and they will get nothing back. He is a free agent come March 14th and that is that. Can't tag him unless you want to get held hostage all offseason and not be able to sign any other players because the cap is tied up. 

23 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I see this move as on Jay and Bruce. No way that Bruce went out and got a player at QB for a disapproving Coach. This sets up a two year run. They better have it together in two years now, or if you think the backlash has been bad, you have seen nothing yet. The stands will be empty. 

Agree with this point.  But I recall even Shanny explaining that Bruce is the compensation guy, his job is to figure out what to give in a trade.  He referred to that in both the McNabb and RG3 trade.   So The deal itself I'd bet is all Bruce.

As for Alex Smith yeah I agree Jay must like him.  I like him, too.  But I don't like the deal.  But yeah it smells of a win now directive.

23 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Now onto the positive aspect of this trade. If Cousins indeed had no intention of re-signing a reasonable LTD with the Redskins then this move speaks of future plans to draft a QB (not a very high pick) with a Vet to play for a year or two while he prepares. Trading away Fuller might signal that they indeed do intend on re-signing Breeland. While all that is not my choosing it is a viable reason for why this occurred. 

The win now mentality I think smacks that they are unlikely going to use a high pick for a QB.  But agree maybe the 4th-5th round.  They might have their eyes on a CB in the draft like Ward, Jackson -- they are in position to get one of them at 13.  

With Alex Smith, the dude was loaded with a running game and weapons. I gather they'd want him to be successful desperately especially in the context of Kirk going elsewhere so maybe an ambitious FA on offense or maybe they draft Ridley or Guice or someone like that early.

10 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Honestly...I’m thrilled.

It's not as bad as some are saying, unless they know the future.  I think Smith is on the same level as Cousins or higher for much less money, not to mention Cousins didn't want to play for the Redskins anymore.  Don't like them trading Fuller, but they will get the third-round pick for Cousins back next year.  IMO, they did as well as could be reasonably expected.

2nd best CB on the team and young/cheap, supposed to be part of our young and built through the draft defense... gone!

loss of a 3rd rounder

not going to get any thing other than possible comp pick/s for Cousins when in reality we should have received at least one 1st rounder for him

..... and I happen to like Smith

Just now, SWFLSkins said:

I really do think this was also "push come to shove" I think they felt/knew that Cousins wasn't signing here no matter what. They felt they needed a QB. I question the timing. Why now? Maybe it was the afraid of the price once the QB market heated up. They decided getting their QB was worth a CB, even a very promising one

Fuller was collateral damage. . Unfortunately, Fuller was collateral damage that was also really important infrastructure.

My feeling is that they should have gone with Colt if Cousins wouldn't sign. Use all that extra cap to build the best team they could and let the QB come to them this year or next in the draft. Smith is probably a fine QB for the present, but the Redskins aren't ready to win now... unless we are all wrong and it was really Cousins holding us back. I don't think that's the case. Still, I would have rather transitioned and traded Kirk, grabbed a bunch of draft picks, and rode forward. It's what I said in the Kirk thread because I thought this marriage was over. I didn't think Kirk was welling to step onto the dance floor let alone dance. That probably wasn't true two years ago, but I think it was true last year. I might be wrong about that, but I think everyone knew that unless a miracle occurred Kirk was gone. Maybe he'd stay for 32 or 50 million a year, but he isn't worth that. After all, he is a rich man's Alex Smith and a poor man's Drew Brees, which is really, really good, but it ain't sell the farm, the county, and the state good.

I pray that we do not play KC on Monday night anytime soon, because you know Allen will use the opportunity to extend Alex Smith and announced the contract right before kickoff. Doubling down on knowing that he made the right move and announcing it to the world.  First play from scrimmage? Grant slips and a pick 6 by you know who. One Kendall Fuller.  Only through preparing for such scenarios mentally, will we be conditioned sufficiently to survive as Redskins fans.

I can hear the negotiations now...

Allen: We’d like Alex Smith.

Reid: OK, we want to move on to Mahommes anyway. How about a 5th round pick?

Allen: We we’re actually thinking a fourth rounder would do it.

Reid: Huh?

Allen: OK, OK. You twisted my arm but how about a third (Snyder whispers in background, “and Kendall Fuller)

Allen: ...and Kendall Fuller

Reid: OK, but you guys drive a hard bargain.

Yeah this was pretty much a nail in the coffin for me too. I mean seriously....I’d rather roll with McCoy and extra talent (and Fuller still on the roster) than what this trade cost us if they really don’t want to pay Kirk. Feels like we’re right back to the old Vinny days. 

6 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

What could they possibly get for Cousins? They still  have absolutely no leverage in the situation. He is gone and they will get nothing back. He is a free agent come March 14th and that is that. Can't tag him unless you want to get held hostage all offseason and not be able to sign any other players because the cap is tied up. 

Exactly, and now his value for us just got diminished. It's a cluster clucker, and that is not on Scot, but Bruce and co. Unless something else is afoot I see this as Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Redskins. 

4 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I can hear the negotiations now...

Allen: We’d like Alex Smith.

Reid: OK, we want to move on to Mahommes anyway. How about a 5th round pick?

Allen: We we’re actually thinking a fourth rounder would do it.

Reid: Huh?

Allen: OK, OK. You twisted my arm but how about a third (Snyder whispers in background, “and Kendall Fuller)

Allen: ...and Kendall Fuller

Reid: OK, but you guys drive a hard bargain.

Andy had to stop them at that point because Bruce and Dan were going to give him a heart attack when they were going to throw in a 2nd rounder

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I really do think this was also "push come to shove" I think they felt/knew that Cousins wasn't signing here no matter what. They felt they needed a QB. I question the timing. Why now? Maybe it was the afraid of the price once the QB market heated up. They decided getting their QB was worth a CB, even a very promising one

Fuller was collateral damage. . Unfortunately, Fuller was collateral damage that was also really important infrastructure.

My feeling is that they should have gone with Colt if Cousins wouldn't sign. Use all that extra cap to build the best team they could and let the QB come to them this year or next in the draft. Smith is probably a fine QB for the present, but the Redskins aren't ready to win now... unless we are all wrong and it was really Cousins holding us back. I don't think that's the case. Still, I would have rather transitioned and traded Kirk, grabbed a bunch of draft picks, and rode forward. It's what I said in the Kirk thread because I thought this marriage was over. I didn't think Kirk was welling to step onto the dance floor let alone dance. That probably wasn't true two years ago, but I think it was true last year. I might be wrong about that, but I think everyone knew that unless a miracle occurred Kirk was gone. Maybe he'd stay for 32 or 50 million a year, but he isn't worth that. After all, he is a rich man's Alex Smith and a poor man's Drew Brees, which is really, really good, but it ain't sell the farm, the county, and the state good.

Agreed 100%. They could have found another way out of this without giving away a very promising young corner. I rank by position QB, LT and CB as the top three on the field. I don't dig this trade for so many reasons. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  I guess the front office took that survey to heart and decided they needed to do something to improve their scores.

Dan, please open up a used car dealership and let Bruce run it.  I promise, he will still be your friend.

9 hours ago, Redd said:

A 3rd rounder isn't that bad imo.  At least Kirk can go somewhere with a team built to win around him. 

Honestly we DON'T have a championship team here and we're at least a few years away from that at best.

We've been a few years away from that at best for the last 25 years dude.

That's been a running mantra around here. "We are a few years away from contending..."

Those contending years never come.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I really do think this was also "push come to shove" I think they felt/knew that Cousins wasn't signing here no matter what.

How would they know this when reports just came out that they haven't even talked to Cousins' camp since the end of the season?  Not even 1 discussion per sources.

WHAT THE ****?????

Archived