Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

How would they know this when reports just came out that they haven't even talked to Cousins' camp since the end of the season?  Not even 1 discussion per sources.

WHAT THE ****?????

I'm not sure I believe the sources. Mind you, given that Cousins said he would not talk to the Redskins or entertain any offers before March I could imagine that he gave orders to McCartney not to pick up the phone if the Redskins called.

I don't believe Kirk was coming back. I don't think he wanted to come back. I think he did everything in his power to forestall a deal, including never countering any offer made last year. Given all of that, I put the blame 65% on Bruce Allen and the Front Office.

Adam Schefter just on 980 said he was very surprised about the trade.  There was no contact with the FO and Kirk in the off season.   The timing of the deal surprised him.   Sheehan-Cooley had the theory maybe they still have a tag and trade agreement with Kirk -- Schefter goes he doesn't see how since they've had no contract with Kirk at all. 

Kendall Fuller was the key to the deal.  High character guy.  Highest graded player on the Redskins defense. 

Redskins created their own problems at QB, created their own hole, but they had to solve it, since its A QB driven league. 

He thinks Kirk gets in the end 27-28 million range. 

Whatever positives that want to be spun on this one will never make up for the fact it looks like we're letting Cousins leave for nothing, no trade for a first rounder, nothing.  If that's what we're planning to do, I'll live with it, but I don't support it.  Smith is 33 years old, we should've drafted a QB, no way he's going to be the same player in 3-4 years.

Can they trade Cousins to a team before the deadline, which will be able to negotiate w/o outside interference? (Ie: the NHL?) That way, if there's a few team who really want him, someone may be willing to give up a late round pick at least? But if there's one spot he's likely to land and everyone knows it, then it'll be moot.. It's a shame DC sports GM's are only outdone by their crappy owners.  

I guess Bruce and Dan cooked up the idea of announcing a big deal right before the Super Blow. Marketing gurus that they are.  Create a buzz around the team, generate hits, Skins trending...  Little do they know, they are more likely to create an angry flash mob outside redskins park. Bruce to Dan, what are all those people doing outside?

Those 2 are literally too stupid to insult.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Whatever positives that want to be spun on this one will never make up for the fact it looks like we're letting Cousins leave for nothing, no trade for a first rounder, nothing.  If that's what we're planning to do, I'll live with it, but I don't support it.  Smith is 33 years old, we should've drafted a QB, no way he's going to be the same player in 3-4 years.

Agreed Reid traded up 17 spots for a qb last year I don’t think he does that if he had faith in smith long term, we however don’t know football and clearly got duped again 

I've been probably the biggest Bruce defender on this board, maybe going back and forth with @DC Lumber Co. or @Burgold for the biggest defender. But I HATE this move. It is eerily similar to a Vinny move, or to the McNabb trade. Its way worse than the Portis trade because at least then Portis was a 3rd year player coming off 2 1500 yard seasons. I would defend Smith vs Cousins and even teh 3rd rounder considering that the Patriots gave Jimmy G up for a 2nd and could have gotten a lot more, but we panicked, plain and simple. Smith was not the only QB going to hit the market and we spent all this time talking about how confident we were with Colt only to trade above market value for Smith.

I don't think Fuller is irreplaceable or that the CB position is more important than the QB position. I don't even care about how he found out. I care about the philosophy of the team. This shows that what I thought was true - the strategy to get younger and continue to improve through building our depth and the draft is FALSE. I don't doubt we can trade down in the draft and get more picks or even find another Fuller, but the question still remains of how you can trade your best defensive player who's only 22 for a 33 year old. I could see if there were questions of something like scheme fit or an injury history or an attitude problem, or even if Fuller's situation was like Kirk's and he was demanding a release.

Forget what I said earlier, this reminds me of the Bullets from the 90s. This is the Chris Webber trade all over again. This is the Gilbert Arenas situation combined with the Andre Blatche situation, or maybe trading the first rounder for Randy Foye and Mike Miller. And as a result, the little hope that I had (I actually had hope in Bruce that he was set on building through the draft and making our roster younger) is lost. I feel like we are the Bullets/Wizards of the NFL - not these recent Wizards where there is at least some degree of competence but the ones led by Abe Polin and Wes Unseld (the coach not the player) where it made just being an NBA fan almost impossible because you knew your team would max out at 25 wins and never be competitive. I saw the Bulls and hated them because I knew my team would never be that. I see the Patriots and hate them because I know my team is not that. I thought we were getting closer, but I'm over it.

I can't even say what this means ultimately. I don't plan to listen to the radio for a while. I have a few books to get through to help me deal with this situation. I didn't think I'd be here but I'm so angry that I can't really relax to get work done. Half of my Skins friends at work took the day off cause they're "sick". Maybe I should have. I was getting pretty excited about the draft because I thought we actually had a plan, but now I don't know.

What does this mean for my son though? Once upon a time, I dreamed about father son moments where I'd tell him stories of the glory years. But do I really want him to know this pain? Especially when he's tempted by friends at school wearing purple and rooting for the team slightly up north. Am I really right to say he's tempted by the dark side to just want a winning team that makes good decisions? I've made my bed, but do I need to put that same fate of mysery on him? Its like I'm locked in a dungeon and my son has a chance to get out, but I'm trying to rationalize why the dungeon is where he should be?

I can't honestly say that I'll be as big an advocate as I've been in the past. That's been the case for a while, but every bad decision makes me get a little quieter, a little more reclusive, a little less likely to jump into a conversation defending a move or insulting the team and a little less likely to talk to my son about this team. Its a tough road and I don't think I can wish that on him. Heck, I don't wish it on myself.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I guess Bruce and Dan cooked up the idea of announcing a big deal right before the Super Blow. Marketing gurus that they are.  Create a buzz around the team, generate hits, Skins trending...  Little do they know, they are more likely to create an angry flash mob outside redskins park. Bruce to Dan, what are all those people doing outside?

Those 2 are literally too stupid to insult.

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

So much for the "Kirk didn't want to be here" narrative.

In what way does that impact that narrative? Kirk has done NOTHING that indicates he wants to be a Redskin. He's given out a few PC platitudes etc but if he really wanted to be a Redskin then he is perfectly capable of picking up the phone and saying "I want to get this whole thing worked out" - in fact he was perfectly capable of making a counter-offer, negotiating last year or accepting the deal he was happy with instead of listening to his agent saying "I can milk so much more money out of this". He said himself he was happy with the deal, if he really wanted to be a Redskin he would have signed it rather than chasing the $. I'm not trying to knock Kirk or bash him for not wanting to be a Redskin, but to say the fact neither side has picked up the phone kills the Cousins wants to leave narrative doesn't make sense.

47 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Deuce Gruden is on the Raiders staff with his old man now.

"Y'know, Deuce, when we tell the guys to go out there and break a leg, we don't want it to actually happen. 

Aww heck, I can't stay mad at you. Let's go get a Spider 2 Y banana split."

1 minute ago, UKskins said:

In what way does that impact that narrative? Kirk has done NOTHING that indicates he wants to be a Redskin. He's given out a few PC platitudes etc but if he really wanted to be a Redskin then he is perfectly capable of picking up the phone and saying "I want to get this whole thing worked out" - in fact he was perfectly capable of making a counter-offer, negotiating last year or accepting the deal he was happy with instead of listening to his agent saying "I can milk so much more money out of this". He said himself he was happy with the deal, if he really wanted to be a Redskin he would have signed it rather than chasing the $. I'm not trying to knock Kirk or bash him for not wanting to be a Redskin, but to say the fact neither side has picked up the phone kills the Cousins wants to leave narrative doesn't make sense.

"I want to be where I'm wanted" is the mantra often repeated.  Not even hearing from the team at all sends a pretty clear message.  The ball was in their court, not Kirk's.  And for the record, Kirk and his agent counter offered their 2015 end of season low ball offer.  That's a indication that he wanted to be here.  

7 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Saving much compared to what? You knew what Kirk was going to sign for? And know how the contract is structured? Could easily be backloaded with an out after two years easily allowing for plenty of moves to be made for the upcoming season.

You can’t backload, pay 70 mil in guaranteed and cut after 2 years.  Well, without taking a big dead cap hit.  

in a time where many fans are talking about jumping ship completely this is the exact type of move this front office makes simply to keep the fan base watching. just in case........

it is a tried and true sales tactic. " I know youre about to walk away but what if we add THIS to the mix..???

this is designed to keep our interest, keep us talking about the redskins and make sure we come back next season. nothing more. pathetic.

9 hours ago, SkinsFanRob said:

There are no words to describe how disgusted I am as a fan right now. i have loved this team all my life and they continue to find new ways to spit in fans faces. I just want to break every Redskins thing I own. This one kind of hurts. Thanks for nothing Dan and Bruce. 

Keep the faith....this is not a bad move knowing that we were not gonna pay KC. I think Gruden is going to love working with Alex Smith and vice versa. Smith will adjust quickly to the offense and is a very solid alternative to KC without breaking the bank. If we can grab a play-making safety or stud linebacker or DT you'll see a defense that flies to the ball. Grabbing Smith now allows us to really plan for free agency and the draft knowing that we're ok at the QB position. Now we just need to go get a Landry in free agency with a running back in round 2 of the draft. 

Did Cousins not say that he intended to wait until he hit free agency to see his value? So the Skins are expected to sit there, wait for him to decide on a nice new 30 million dollar contract from a cash infused team, and gives them the finger anyways? So they wait and lose out on Smith too because teams get even more desperate at QB and either they get Smith or we give up even MORE! They were aggressive and got whom they wanted. Sucks about Fuller but lets not act like them not having any discussions makes just the team look bad. Cousins is guilty as well.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

"I want to be where I'm wanted" is the mantra often repeated.  Not even hearing from the team at all sends a pretty clear message.  The ball was in their court, not Kirk's.  And for the record, Kirk and his agent counter offered their 2015 end of season low ball offer.  That's a indication that he wanted to be here.  

Not hearing from the team when he has publically said he doesn't want to hear from the team because he isn't going to talk to them before the tag deadline? Like I said - he could have picked the phone up himself instead of creating a sideshow with that dumb mantra. Everybody wants to be where they're wanted. He said in the season he felt wanted in Washington last year, they tagged him two years in a row. Unless he specifically wanted Bruce on his knees to prove how much he was wanted then that mantra is nothing but an empty, meaningless soundbite.

It's just a trifecta of bad moves.

(1) Trading for Alex Smith. Smith isn't a bad player, but he's coming off a career year and people act like that's going to be his level of playing moving forward. It's not, it's called a career year for a reason. You max out on your stats. He'll also be 34 in a few months. And the history of QBs at that age isn't great. He should still have a few good years left, but what are we realistically expecting here? A couple average years and then he retires? That's fine if you are a real contender, but doesn't seem to help the Redskins much considering they missed the playoffs the last few years with a better QB. And the real kicker is that the Redskins had a lot of the leverage here. The Chiefs were in a tough salary cap spot. They needed to move Smith. But this is an unusually strong QB market. Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Cousins, and maybe even McCarron are all unrestricted free agents (I'm assuming Garoppolo and Brees stay put). Not to mention it's a strong QB class in the draft, with 4 guys likely going in top half of the draft. There's only around six teams definitely needing a new starter - Washington, Minnesota, Arizona, Cleveland, New York Jets, and Denver. There's a few teams that have an okay player, but could make a move to acquire a veteran (Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, maybe even Cincinnati or Baltimore). But all those teams would cut an existing QB, further bolstering the free agent market. And there are some teams looking to add a young signal caller in the draft. The Giants being a prime example. But it seems like there's a good 10 or so options out there. And less than 10 actual landing spots (at least for starting positions). No, the options aren't all equal. Some will be busts. And maybe the team team didn't want to draft and develop a rookie. But the point is that the Chiefs had to move Smith and the Redskins could have done many, many different ways. All of which would have actually cost less than this move

(2) Giving $70 million to Alex Smith. It may be market value, but its also going back to point 1. It's marrying the team to Alex Smith, and genuinely uninspiring option. It's a short term solution, but the team isn't competing for a Super Bowl in the short term. So even in a best case scenario, the team will need a new QB by the time it might actually be ready to win anything. So why give valuable assets and commit so much more? Why not role the dice with Bridgewater? Or draft a QB?

(3) Trading Kendall Fuller. The real kicker here. Made the trade a definite loss and a real head-scratcher. He's young, he's cheap, he's good. He's likely worth at least a 2nd round pick by himself.  It also means that the 49ers got what appears to be a better, far younger player for less only a few months ago.

Even if Cousins was going to leave, which seems inevitable, there are better ways to address the situation. So many better ways...

Archived