Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I'm sad this morning.  Not because of the trade, but because of my reaction to it.  Which bordered on indifference.  My passion for this team has gone.  It had been fading over many seasons. But it kind of snuck up on me. This event crystallized how far gone it is, and it was an eye-opening realization.

I can count on one hand the number of games I've missed watching over the last couple of decades.  And two of those came last season.  That number will likely rise.  I'll still watch.  I'll still cheer. And like a bandwagon fan, if they ever become good again, I'll become more invested once again.  But to quote B.B. King, the thrill is gone.

That's why I'm sad this morning.

Let's turn this city into a baseball town.

https://days.to/until/mlb-season-opening-day

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah.... We've been remaining optimistic and seeing what happens for 18 years. And for 18 years we keep paying the price for that baseless optimism. It's usually the same outcome every time. Rudderless organizations know no other way than that.

I'm sure you were optimistic that this would get resolved and Kirk would either sign here or  both sides would get what they wanted and ride off into the sunset. Instead we get at absolute best, an equal talent tradeoff, and give up a high pick AND o e of our best DB's, still on a rookie contract.

They don't deserve optimism

26 years.....

Only team in the NFL to not have an 11 win season in that time frame. 

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The team has Alex Smith signed for the next 5 (!!!!!!) years with $70 million in guaranteed money. You don't make that deal and then draft your future QB. Smith is the QB through 2020, I would think. That's the year you go after a young QB - which means our future franchise QB is probably an incoming freshman right now.

Why would you wait and HOPE there's even gonna BE a viable QB in the draft 5 years from now???? That's TERRIBLE PLANNING.. If the talent is there now at 13, draft the kid and let him learn under Smith. And maybe he takes his job a year or two down the road. Just cause you signed Smith for 5 years doesn't mean he's going to be around for 5. 

Just now, LightningBuggs said:

He just had his first 4K yard season.  The guy he's replacing had 3 in his only 3 full seasons.  That includes this year when he did so with much lesser talent.

Here comes the yards argument again. I will just stop here. Smiths INT% ALONE makes him a better option than Cousins. Just saying.

Just now, PortisBetts said:

26 years.....

Only team in the NFL to not have an 11 win season in that time frame. 

You're right, but I'm specifically talking about our time under Dan Snyder, where not only have we been losing, we have been a complete disaster of an organization in every way imaginable

Almost 50 pages in and no mention of Doug Williams. Sure, I'm cynical, but at some point today, I suspect we'll hear from him. Maybe at a press conference if they have one, about how he, Jay, Bruce and Mr. Snyder were all on the same page on this. Our power duo management team will want to shape how this is presented so Doug can be scapegoated down the road, if need be.

Just now, fordranger76 said:

If it saves 7 or 8 million you could wind up with a Richardson or Poe too. Perhaps Pugh from the Giants. And I do not agree with giving up Fuller. But as I stated earlier the price was the price. There was a lot of interest in Smith.

There is a lot of interest anytime a competent and proven QB is available.  It doesn't mean the Redskins have to be the team to "win" their services.

I'm willing to bet that it's more like 4M saved.  I also know that Alex Smith will cost 4.5M more per season than the 19M dollar, 5 year deal Kirk's agent approached the team with after 2015.  It requires real mental gymnastics to find reasons why this was a good idea.  Unless you're Bruce and could care less about building the team long term and are only concerned with attempting to save face.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty big differences there. Comp%, TD%, INT% and rating arent close.  I like Tyrod as well. And would have been fine with signing him as a FA.  But he isnt Smith by a long shot.

As I said before, ignoring the career year Smith had last year, his rating the 3 seasons prior was 91.2, 95.4,  and 93.4.  53 TD's to 21 INT's.  Tyrod was 89.2, 89.6, and 99.4.  51 TD's to 18 INT's.  Smith's completion percentage was better.  Other than that, they are very similar.  And I did not want either of them.  Would've rather just stuck with Colt and drafted a QB.  

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

From a running a team standpoint, what the hell just happened?

A level of incompetence in management whereby Bruce Allen makes--I don't make this multi-sport analogy lightly--Ernie Grunfeld look like Theo Epstein in comparison.

When you unpack the layers of fail in this debacle it will end your fanhood.  Don't forget that we're also going to have to let a franchise QB walk for nothing in your calculation.  Could have traded him last year and drafted DeShaun Watson.  Could have held off on taking a bad deal for Smith to try and tag and trade Kirk this offseason.  The Smith trade was an awful desperation move performed so that an unworthy front office might keep their jobs another year.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Here comes the yards argument again. I will just stop here. Smiths INT% ALONE makes him a better option than Cousins. Just saying.

If Alex Smith is as great as you seem to think he is, why are the Chiefs, who made the playoffs with him this season, so eager to move on from him?

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a lot of interest anytime a competent and proven QB is available.  It doesn't mean the Redskins have to be the team to "win" their services.

I'm willing to bet that it's more like 4M saved.  I also know that Alex Smith will cost 4.5M more per season than the 19M dollar, 5 year deal Kirk's agent approached the team with after 2015.  It requires real mental gymnastics to find reasons why this was a good idea.  Unless you're Bruce and could care less about building the team long term and are only concerned with attempting to save face.

This is the nail on the head. He's a politician, through and through. He only cares about 1. Being right and 2. Being in charge. Anywhere he isn't "right" he will show that he's No. 2 (pun intended) and throw Williams, Gruden, Smith, anyone he can under the bus.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I shouldn’t get into this because the arguments comparing Cousins to Smith are ignoring that we just gave up one of our best (and really cheap) young players, but...

What is Smith better than Cousins at besides rushing yards and win %?

Ball security (AS 5 Int, 4 Fum - KC 13 Int, 8 Fum) and his downfield passing is better than Kirks and that's what Jay criticized at some point this year

Just now, LightningBuggs said:

If Alex Smith is as great as you seem to think he is, why are the Chiefs, who made the playoffs with him this season, so eager to move on from him?

Because they have a young guy they drafted that they like and want to get on the field. Plus it saves them 17 million in cap space to make this trade. 

Some team is going to make Kirk Cousins the highest paid player in football. I'm glad it's not us and anyone who comprehends football should be saying the same thing. Alex Smith = Kirk Cousins, both are above average game managers but only one of them will be getting paid accordingly.

That being said, I HATE that Fuller was part of this trade. #1 rated slot CB last year... I would have much rather given up a 2nd round pick, which was the apparent asking price. We got a bit hustled, but I'm glad the drama is over and we're not stuck with a Bradford.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All I can is at this point is that they screwed up in 2015 with the price of the contract. I'm not bailing them out at this point. But what's done is done. This could be a horrible move. Also could be brilliant. A lot of variables are still yet to be in play here. I'm not ready to jump off the bridge yet. I'm happy that we have a QB for a few years. Not happy with Fuller being gone. That's where I stand in January. Come May I may just be cussing them with everyone else.

4 minutes ago, SoulSkin said:

Almost 50 pages in and no mention of Doug Williams. Sure, I'm cynical, but at some point today, I suspect we'll hear from him. Maybe at a press conference if they have one, about how he, Jay, Bruce and Mr. Snyder were all on the same page on this. Our power duo management team will want to shape how this is presented so Doug can be scapegoated down the road, if need be.

Doug Williams doesn't even know what he does here

41 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Completely disagree with you..

The writing is on the wall, we're going QB with our first pick, many writers had us going QB. You have a veteran ( though he's captain---check that Chief Checkdown) who can tutor our future QB, and whose going to be cheaper than Cousins will be.

In terms of Cousins celing, yea I still feel he can win a SB

The CB position, yea I hate losing Fuller,  they must see and like something in Moreau though, he has the same story Fuller had coming out of college. 1st day talent who fell due to injury. And the 3rd you traded with him, you're getting back in the form of a compensatory pick. KC knew this and felt they could fleece us of talent and they got what they wanted. Of course with KC now, who knows how long Mahomes will take to develop, and if it takes a couple seasons guess what, they gotta pay Peters AND Fuller too. What did Norman get? You think KC can pay that TWICE???

Yes CB is kinda weak right now, but you can fix it in THIS draft, and sign a vet in FA, problem solved..

Yea going with McCoy, I mean this is the same McCoy that beat Dallas in Dallas on Monday night, the same Cowboy team that was a bad call away from the championship game that year..

I don't know, by the time you really draft and develop this team, with all of its holes and depth issues, would it have been too late for Cousins if you kept him, instead you draft the future in May and buy yourself some time..

Its the Wentz era in the NFC east right now and I think Bruce is preparing us to match that era with something long term

That's what I'm going to tell myself...

I hear you, but it doesn't make sense to say "we need to fix CB" so we do, then bust it again and say "well, we can fix it in this draft.."

We are fixing things that are not broken. Fuller. . i would hope they tried to make a lesser offer. That kid earned a lot of respect this year,, and him we will miss.

the Cousins writing was on the wall, no doubt, but it's because the Redskins so totally screwed this up that they wrote it on the wall themselves. There is no positive way to spin that, and nothing short of an Alex Smith Super Bowl will erase it. They drove Cousins out the door, and now they've made strides into dismantling the good building we've done.

Alex Smith will be 34 when he takes his first snap for us. What KC does with Fuller isn't really any concern. He was here, he was under contract, he was drafted ansd groomed and performing at a high level. We weakened our team by letting him be part of this deal. If Breeland walks, a solid strength and core of youth is suddenly gone, and we once again have to use draft picks to fix a problem that did not exist in any shape or form until last night.

As far as "all the holes and depth issues"..  this i need explained to me, please.

This team's depth got significant playing time this year due to an injury list that I have never seen the likes of since i've been following this team, and that is over 45 years worth. Never have i seen so many starters and their backups end up on IR, or missing games. We finished the year with 3rd stringers on the OL, third stringers at LB, backups along the interior DL, guys who we signed off the street that stepped in to play.

So, given that all of these depth players just turned in a 7-9 season..  how many of these big holes are there, really? Other teams with similar injury issues won 3 games. 

Holes: WR1 & 2. RB. LG. These are positions in which there is no player that can step up and claim to be a viable starting player in the NFL. These are holes.

A lot of people say the DL..  well, Jonathan Allen comes back and plugs a massive hole. Lanier got great experience last year and provides solid depth. Our pass rushers, with the exception of Gallette are all high round draft picks. Kerrigan is a 1st, Murphy was our 1st pick, even though it was the second round. Smith is a 3rd round pick. We have been building on the DL, and picks we've made are panning out into decent players. 

Zach Brown leaves, and we have a hole. But overall LB depth is looking pretty good given the extended playing time most of the bench got this year. 

ILB would be one of my main target areas in the draft regardless. The kid from Georgia looks good, and may drop to 13. Regardless, I think Foster only signed a 2 yr deal, so may as well work on the position. I like Compton and I like Vigil, but I like them to play sparingly. I'd like to see both on special teams.

But by and large, depth players can be gotten via late draft choices, smaller FA signings. We can always use OL depth, but that should be on the offseason to-do list every year.

The Holes... again, there are not nearly as many as most fans seem to think. A good chunk of the team, guys we brought in to be part of the building we've been doing, spent significant parts of the year on the sidelines. As a result, all this time you seem to think we have such a dire need to continue building .. so much so that a 6th year QB would be too old by the time it was ready to compete. Pardon me, but that's nuts.

The last 7 years has seen a dramatic shift on how the Redskins have built this team. They've drafted 69 players in that time, as compared to 42 in the previous 7. (I go back 7 because i think drafting Trent Williams started the current build in earnest.)

They have signed smaller free agents. Some work out, some don't.  Redskins One is not flying willy-nilly in the first week of March bringing in high dollar guys. By my reckoning, they have signed exactly one high priced guy, and he fell in their laps. (Norman)

They have bolstered areas of need, worked the draft and have built a pretty solid team, provided we don't get hit with apocalyptic amounts of injuries.

This is a **** up, no other way around it. Going with McCoy is a **** up, in fact, since they decided to low-ball Cousins two years ago, it's been nothing but a **** up at the most critical position in all of sports. (A position we had finally developed a young player to play.)

~Bang

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Could have held off on taking a bad deal for Smith to try and tag and trade Kirk this offseason.

I have to believe they pursued this and got the cold shoulder from Kirk and his team, otherwise why the desperation move.

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeah, I guess I'm speaking more from the position that JG has had to deal with the pieces of KC still being hurt over how he was handled during all of the RGlll drama. Now Gruden is free of both of the 2012 QB's we drafted and he can focus on a future with a guy he knows will be here and will be able to run. Alex Smith will be good for the Skins if we get him help. He can make the plays if given the right tools to work with and has proven that he can take teams to the playoffs. 

You know what? You are right. From that prospective it is a nice clean slate for the first time since hes been here. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Depends what you think it would have taken to make Kirk sign here. If you share my opinion of him not wanting to be here then the difference is immaterial. If he signs for Denver on a discount because he thinks they give him a shot of a SB then the saving comparison is not right because he wouldn't have signed the same deal here. If he signs somewhere nobody wants to play like CLE then I can imagine he will sign for a similar number to what it would take to get him here and you can draw that comparison, if you accept the premise that he would have signed here over a fresh start anywhere else in the league. I think the only way he would have signed here is on the franchise tag, so I put the saving at 10.5 million and stability long term.

Archived