Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This cannot be understated.  For every AntiKirk homer here that believes Kirks success is a mirage, there are way more Chiefs fans laughing all the way to the bank that they got a stud corner and a third for a guy they've never believed in.

Its basically a tail of two franchises, one with foresight and savvy, drafting a player a year ago to take the reigns from the guy they never believed in, and then cashing in on it big time.  Another franchise desperate with no plan giving up assets to get what the savvy team didn't want.

Hmmm... interesting that Kareem Hunt does not share that outlook:

"Actually, I was at dinner when I found this out," Hunt said on Good Morning Football, just hours after the trade agreement took place. "I kind of just stopped eating. I was a little bit in shock. You know, Alex is such a great leader, a great quarterback and he's a competitor. Loves to win. He's a guy you want on your team and after a great season like this, it's kind of heartbreaking to see him go."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912684/article/kareem-hunt-i-was-in-shock-over-alex-smith-trade

Smith will be 34 when the season starts. Why would you give him 23 million a year? Are the Redskins really that dumb? How dumb can you be to give up a 3rd rounder, Fuller and then turn around and pay Smith that kind of money? The Redskins are straight up dumb. That is really the only way to say it. They're dumb, they're stupid, they need to go run an XFL team. That's just how dumb they are. And they're lead by Bruce Allen who may be book smart, but has no football IQ. Bruce should be a guy that works in a back room crunching numbers and that's  it. He should never be allowed to make a decision on real football matters. 

Just now, Alexa said:

Smith will be 34 when the season starts. Why would you give him 23 million a year? Are the Redskins really that dumb? How dumb can you be to give up a 3rd rounder, Fuller and then turn around and pay Smith that kind of money? The Redskins are straight up dumb. That is really the only way to say it. They're dumb, they're stupid, they need to go run an XFL team. That's just how dumb they are. And they're lead by Bruce Allen who may be book smart, but has no football IQ. Bruce should be a guy that works in a back room crunching numbers and that's  it. He should never be allowed to make a decision on real football matters. 

I don't know - unless you think he won't be productive at the end of this run (at 39 in a league where late-30s isn't unusual for a QB at all), I don't think it's a problem. Five years is an eternity for a team...

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Just don't take sports as seriously, man. Been telling you this for years. It's just gonna lead to tears, every time.

But I'd totally cheer if Redskins Park suddenly collapsed into a massive sinkhole

Ya, I enjoy the win and try not to let the loses get to me too much, life is too short.  They haven't broken me yet, though, gonna wait them out and see what happens.

This must be some kind of ruse right?

Had we traded ONLY the pick for him AND signed him to maybe just a ONE or two year extension for far less than what we supposedly agreed to, MAYBE I could be on board. Kirk Cousins has been more proficient with less help. Does anyone think Alex Smith would have even had a decent year with our receiving corps and o-line injuries and without Jordan Reed (i.e. see Travis Kelce)? Oh, and then we are gettin rid of a guy that's likely the best corner on the team this upcoming year that just graded out (unsurprisingly) as the top slot corner in football who had two game ending interceptions this year (and a third that was called back due to a bs penalty) and can play on the outside as well. Anyone on here that wouldn't have honestly rather traded Norman? And no, I would have been equally as pissed if we shipped Norman over there but just hypothetically of the two why trade the guy that's a top corner and getting better, is super young and hasn't even hit his prime? 

Oh, and by the way we gave up the pick and fuller for a guy that the Chiefs WANTED to get rid of. I.e. they had zero leverage and we still got fleeced. Maybe Cousins said **** off, maybe he didn't. But for maybe a few million more, maybe a bit more, I'd like to keep my third round pick and one of the best young corners in football. Thanks. 

Just saw it was Fuller. Wow.

All I'll say is: I will not feel bad at all if this team absolutely nosedives next year. I mean, I will for the players but not for the stupid f'ing leaders of this organization, top to bottom.

I started watching the NFL with the 49'ers and for the first time since I moved to the DC area 22 years ago, I have a feeling I'll care more about them than the Skins. Love Kyle Shanahan and they seem to be making the right moves while we continue to be led by a bunch of f'ing amateurs.

Just now, Rex Tomb said:

Hmmm... interesting that Kareem Hunt does not share that outlook:

"Actually, I was at dinner when I found this out," Hunt said on Good Morning Football, just hours after the trade agreement took place. "I kind of just stopped eating. I was a little bit in shock. You know, Alex is such a great leader, a great quarterback and he's a competitor. Loves to win. He's a guy you want on your team and after a great season like this, it's kind of heartbreaking to see him go."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912684/article/kareem-hunt-i-was-in-shock-over-alex-smith-trade

Is Kareem Hunt a Chiefs fan?  So I'm not sure what that has to do with anything at all.

I don't expect any of Smith's teammates to say anything but nice things about the guy.  I've never heard anything bad about Smith as a person and he's not terrible by any stretch.

What I'm talking about are the Chiefs fans that have watched him for years and have never believed in him and felt like he was holding their team back.  Very eerily similar to Cousins.  The only difference being the Chiefs field a much better overall roster than the Redskins ever have in that time period.

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

, they're stupid, they need to go run an XFL team. That's just how dumb they are. And they're lead by Bruce Allen who may be book smart, but has no football IQ. Bruce should be a guy that works in a back room crunching numbers and that's  it. He should never be allowed to make a decision on real football matters. 

This is not the place to discuss it but i was thinking about all the reject players from the NFL that are going to end up in the XFL and it had me excited. RG3-Tim Tebow, Colin Cappernick, hell maybe even Farve suiting back up....

I like Cousins and love Fuller. I do understand we needed to get ourselves out of this hole our FO dug with Cousins. Do I blame that hole 100% on our FO? Not 100% but definitely a lot of the blame lies squarely on their shoulders. I believe this move was the right, albeit painful because of Fuller, move. We are now out of this hole and can continue to progress forward, but we lost a young stud corner in the process. I also do not like how that was handled either. No one from the FO told Fuller what was happening so that will sour Fuller on the Redskins as well.

We definitely need to tighten up our FO so we don't have instances like Cousins and Fuller going forward. Also in terms of Cousins, I do believe he and his agent never really intended to stay in Washington and always wanted to test Free Agency.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

LOL @ stay mediocre.  Will he have mediocre games, yeah.  But you're fooling yourself if you think he's just going to go somewhere and suck.

Never said he'd go anywhere else and suck.  And like I've mentioned, most franchise have had the same problem with figuring out the whole franchise QB thing, even franchises we consider quality like Denver.  Is what it is at this point.

I'm ok with this trade, puts me in the minority probably.

Smith is a damn good QB who will do a job here over the next 3/4 seasons. I don't see a massive drop off from Cousins. Smith will be looking at 5yr 111mil deal. Kirks will have another 40mil added to it. Don't see the value. I've grown tired of the whole Cousins debate and his stance in the media. Too driven by his agent.

Yes, then FO handled it badly, but we've moved on quickly this offseason and I think that's a positive. We'll recover the 3rd rounder by trading back in the first is my guess.

Losing Fuller is a negative, but he isn't Champ Bailey yet. We must be comfortable at CB. Dunbar got the next deal a few weeks back, plus we got last years rookie to step in.

I expect a massive push for Jarvis Landry in FA now.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is Kareem Hunt a Chiefs fan?  So I'm not sure what that has to do with anything at all.

I don't expect any of Smith's teammates to say anything but nice things about the guy.  I've never heard anything bad about Smith as a person and he's not terrible by any stretch.

What I'm talking about are the Chiefs fans that have watched him for years and have never believed in him and felt like he was holding their team back.  Very eerily similar to Cousins.  The only difference being the Chiefs field a much better overall roster than the Redskins ever have in that time period.

Chiefs fans much like Redskins fans better be careful what they wish for. Patrick Mahomes is completely unproven at the pro level. There is no guarantee this guy is going to step in and the chiefs wont miss a bit, The fact Kareem Hunt is outspoken as he is tells me the locker room doesn't believe in holmes. Say what you will about Alex Smith but he lead that team to the playoffs every year. People act as if winning a Super Bowl is a easy thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, Alexa said:

And what would you have done instead?

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Chiefs fans much like Redskins fans better be careful what they wish for. Patrick Mahomes is completely unproven at the pro level. There is no guarantee this guy is going to step in and the chiefs wont miss a bit, The fact Kareem Hunt is outspoken as he is tells me the locker room doesn't believe in holmes. Say what you will about Alex Smith but he lead that team to the playoffs every year. People act as if winning a Super Bowl is a easy thing to do. 

That, and the Chiefs seem like the quintessential "Win now" team. It seems strange, with all that talent, that they are turning it all over to a super green kid from the Big XII

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Just don't take sports as seriously, man. Been telling you this for years. It's just gonna lead to tears, every time.

But I'd totally cheer if Redskins Park suddenly collapsed into a massive sinkhole

In another time and place I would have been able to work out my aggression and competitiveness on some hapless 9th century Saxon village.  In this time I have to settle for doing it vicariously through sports.  It's the one avenue where a man in our society can feel anything.  I'm tired of losing.

I thought the never-Kirkers and the Kirk-homers would agree one one thing: if Kirk was gone, the best course of action was to replace him in the draft.  Now I'm seeing plenty of never-Kirkers lauding this trade as some sort of a necessary transaction.  5 years for $111 million.  The never-Kirkers would've flipped if Cousins got that deal.  It was never about anything other than wanting Kirk gone.  It didn't matter who we signed for what price.   

LOL.

70M guaranteed!!! :rofl89:(remember they wouldn't guarantee Cousins any more than next years transition tag of 28M)

For a qb with more NFL years and much less success than Mcnugget had when Andy Reid fleeced our imbeciles last time. :rofl89:

for a QB that couldn't win **** with a top 5 defense 5 years in a row, :rofl89:

and last season couldn't win **** with a rookie of the year candidate 1200yd rb, a 1000+ yd Te, and a 1200 yard Wr.  :rofl89:

None of which we've ever had. 

In a division where every other team self destructed last year.

But Cousins is the one who needs help to be successful according to those without eyeballs.

I'll still be watching next year I'm just not going to cheer for the ? show anymore. I'm in it 100% for the :rofl89: now. That's the only material here.

I'm just going to do the best I can with the material this team provides and it is exclusively comedy. Bruce Allen is a buffoon but I'm actually kind of surprised that so many fans seem to think that this isn't a 4 win at best team next year but even if I'm wrong and they win 8 or even get to the Superbowl for Redskins fans, which is 9 or 10 wins.....

70+M guaranteed for Checkdown Alex!!!!!!!!!  And they won't win ****...ever! And every Redskins fan on the planet has to know this is a fact.

:rofl89:

It used to be sad, now it's just hilarious. And they won't get **** for the QB who is about to leave and will be a top 3 QB for another 10 years. Wow!

Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Nobody is guaranteeing that Mahomes is going to be awesome.  I like his chances with Andy Reid, their run game and weapons plus the additional haul they just got from us.  At least Mahomes is cheap and making about 1/6 or less of what we are paying Alex Smith, who also has never ran Jay's scheme or played with this personnel.  I don't think Hunt saying that about Smith means jack about how the locker room feels about Mahomes.  I expect every guy in the Chiefs locker room to show a great amount of respect for Alex Smith because by all appearances, he's always been a great guy.

22 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

If you can't sign Kirk then just blow it up. We all know skins ****ed this up two years ago but just keep throwing good money after bad. Smith might lead us to the playoffs like Burnell did but then what. What's the point he's just going to decline after that and we are back to the same boat with no draft picks or a stud cheap CB.

Well, I would imagine that the team will draft a replacement in the middle round(s) of the draft in the next season or two. Ideally you want Alex Smith to progress the team forward and by the time he goes..(which is likely after 3 seasons in all reality) the drafted QB who has been sitting on the bench learning for a couple seasons, is ready to step in.

Archived