Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

In another time and place I would have been able to work out my aggression and competitiveness on some hapless 9th century Saxon village.  In this time I have to settle for doing it vicariously through sports.  It's the one avenue where a man in our society can feel anything.  I'm tired of losing.

You should join a competitive dodgeball league

Just now, SprintBomb said:

And what would you have done instead?

You weren’t asking me, but...

Trade anyone but Fuller. 

Offer a higher draft pick or an additional future one.  

Better still, grab a FA qb and not lose a pick or stud player.  

More roll with McCoy

Draft a qb.  

All of the above.  

I don’t see how anyone can look at this and think our FO looks like anything but chumps... and that’s not Factoring in how they screwed things up with our franchise qb... something no other teams do.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That, and the Chiefs seem like the quintessential "Win now" team. It seems strange, with all that talent, that they are turning it all over to a super green kid from the Big XII

Well they saw him 1 year during training. So I guess they feel pretty comfortable about his development.

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Think Smith sets us up for a serious developmental QB in this or next years drsdt. If this year, I could see us taking a QB in the 4th or 5th round.

im not buying the hype on guys like White or Lauletta going Day 2. Lauletta in the 5th to groom for 3 years may not be a bad idea. I’d be super intrigued if Lamar Jackson were to miraculously fall to the 4th ... let him learn from smith for a couple years. 

Eahc pick spent on a QB though, is a pick not dedicated to playmakers and defense. We now have essentially 2 picks and about $22-23 million in free agency to get:

- #1 WR

- Starting LG

- Starting RB

- Starting ILB

- DL depth

- CB/S starter/depth

we can get an OT to provide OL depth in the 4/5/6 round range. We’ve got solid depth and youth. I’m not going to bank on 4-7 round picks providing anything more than depth. 

I thought we could get Smiths 2018 cap hit at about 17m?.

HTTR 

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

LOL.

70M guaranteed!!! :rofl89:(remember they wouldn't guarantee Cousins any more than next years transition tag of 28M)

For a qb with more NFL years and much less success than Mcnugget had when Andy Reid fleeced our imbeciles last time. :rofl89:

for a QB that couldn't win **** with a top 5 defense 5 years in a row, :rofl89:

and last season couldn't win **** with a rookie of the year candidate 1200yd rb, a 1000+ yd Te, and a 1200 yard Wr.  :rofl89:

None of which we've ever had. 

In a division where every other team self destructed last year.

But Cousins is the one who needs help to be successful according to those without eyeballs.

I'll still be watching next year I'm just not going to cheer for the ? show anymore. I'm in it 100% for the :rofl89: now. That's the only material here.

I'm just going to do the best I can with the material this team provides and it is exclusively comedy. Bruce Allen is a buffoon but I'm actually kind of surprised that so many fans seem to think that this isn't a 4 win at best team next year but even if I'm wrong and they win 8 or even get to the Superbowl for Redskins fans, which is 9 or 10 wins.....

70+M guaranteed for Checkdown Alex!!!!!!!!!  And they won't win ****...ever! And every Redskins fan on the planet has to know this is a fact.

:rofl89:

It used to be sad, now it's just hilarious. And they won't get **** for the QB who is about to leave and will be a top 3 QB for another 10 years. Wow!

Dude, do you remember how Cousins threw a pic against the Giants for a sure playoff spot?. Did you see Cousins play the giants for the final game this season? I remember.  Cousins has hit his ceiling, last 2 years we’re we in the playoffs? Kirk was going to walk, Alex Smith is not that big of a downgrade. Some of you are delusional about this. Raiders and Lions just broke the bank for their QBs, did you see them in the playoffs this year? Losing Fuller is the only negative in this debacle.

This $70 million guaranteed everyone is throwing around is likely to be significantly less when the full details are out.  Based on the way Bruce negotiates the 3rd year is almost certainly guaranteed for injury only and so the actual guarantees will be around $47 million and we have an off ramp in year 3 of the extension if Smith is declining and we have a replacement on the roster.  If you really think that deal would have been signed by Kirk when it is less than he was offered and declined last year then you are drinking Mike McCartney's kool aid.

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Trade anyone but Fuller. 

More roll with McCoy

Draft a qb.  

All of the above.  

I don’t see how anyone can look at this and think our FO looks like anything but chumps... and that’s not Factoring in how they screwed things up with our franchise qb... something no other teams do.  

Ok trade anyone but Fuller. And your assuming the Chiefs would be ok with that. Your assuming the redskins didn't try offering another player. And roll with McCoy?? Really? There is a reason why Mccoy has been a career backup 

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Signed Kirk Cousins to a five year deal two years ago and currently look like a genius for the below-market contract my QB has.

Yes that's true but that ship sailed 2 years ago

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

In another time and place I would have been able to work out my aggression and competitiveness on some hapless 9th century Saxon village.  In this time I have to settle for doing it vicariously through sports.  It's the one avenue where a man in our society can feel anything.  I'm tired of losing.

I am playing Mr. Mom for the next five days, because my wife is flying to the Twin Cities to watch the Super Bowl with her dad and brother. Serves me right for marrying an Eagles' fan.

I assume McQueen would handle this turn of events by killing every member of his family in their sleep.

2 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Some of you are delusional about this.

No offense, but I'd venture a guess that you get behind most of what this team does every time they do it.  Only for it to always end miserably and then make excuses for why it should have worked but didn't.  The one consistency I see here with folks backing this move is that 99% of the folks doing it fall in the realm of the folks that always see a silver lining and remove history and logic from their view.

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Trade anyone but Fuller. 

More roll with McCoy

Draft a qb.  

All of the above.  

I believe their thinking in this trade was the following:

Chiefs wants a second, but we're not gonna trade a 2nd. We can offer a 3rd, because we believe we're gonna win a 3rd compensatory for letting Kirk leaves (probable, but have yet to be assigned, it's more complex than that). So we give a 3rd and a player to make up for it. Why Fuller? Because I think they think they are fine with Moreau behind?

Now they better signed Bree back, otherwise our secondary will look thin once again.

That being said, sorry for the delay but I had an awful work of day, but BRBN is now up to date! Be sure to check page 2 as there were an awful lot of articles to post down there. Those guys from the Post are never done... Just like those at NBC Sports... If someone could tell Dan or Bruce next time to do that kind of trade at 5 or 6am, that would suits me better :)

Anyway, up for you to read them all.

27 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

What if the Redskins were to resign Cousins and keep Alex smith both with mega contracts

What if they turn around and trade Alex Smith and his contract to the Browns for a high first rounder before the draft this year?  Is that allowed?  That's the only way that contract makes any sense to me.

I am not as upset about getting Smith as I am about giving up a young and very good corner still on a rookie deal. 
facts are:
1. Skins FO screwed themselves by not signing Cousins in 2015 and 2016. After, there were hurt feeling and KC was not going to resign with the team period.
2. Only option was to transition tag him for 29mil in 2018 and then he would have been gone a year later. you cant plan an O that way or build a team, plus they would have lost other good players with smaller cap. Cousins will make 28-30mil/ year on a long term deal with lots of guarantees somewhere.
3. While Alex smith is not as good as KC, he is a good qb on a much cheaper deal. Depending on guarantees its probably a 2-3 year deal after which skins can get out with little cap hit.
4. Time and time again we see that in order to win in the nfl for every team (except NE) is that you need a strong D and a strong running game. Now skins can use the draft to improve their D and running game and still get a 3rd rd compensatory pick for KC next year.

My problem is that they gave up one of the best corners on the team to get an old QB who even with the season he had in 2017 does not really scare anyone, essentially making their D worse in the process. Also, there were a lot of FA QB options this year so they could have found someone and drafted a qb to develop. This team is not that close to a superbowl run

13 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

LOL.

70M guaranteed!!! :rofl89:(remember they wouldn't guarantee Cousins any more than next years transition tag of 28M)

For a qb with more NFL years and much less success than Mcnugget had when Andy Reid fleeced our imbeciles last time. :rofl89:

for a QB that couldn't win **** with a top 5 defense 5 years in a row, :rofl89:

and last season couldn't win **** with a rookie of the year candidate 1200yd rb, a 1000+ yd Te, and a 1200 yard Wr.  :rofl89:

None of which we've ever had. 

In a division where every other team self destructed last year.

But Cousins is the one who needs help to be successful according to those without eyeballs.

I'll still be watching next year I'm just not going to cheer for the ? show anymore. I'm in it 100% for the :rofl89: now. That's the only material here.

I'm just going to do the best I can with the material this team provides and it is exclusively comedy. Bruce Allen is a buffoon but I'm actually kind of surprised that so many fans seem to think that this isn't a 4 win at best team next year but even if I'm wrong and they win 8 or even get to the Superbowl for Redskins fans, which is 9 or 10 wins.....

70+M guaranteed for Checkdown Alex!!!!!!!!!  And they won't win ****...ever! And every Redskins fan on the planet has to know this is a fact.

It used to be sad, now it's just hilarious. And they won't get **** for the QB who is about to leave and will be a top 3 QB for another 10 years. Wow!

Slight overreaction and over-smiley use... Good god man, get a hold of yourself.

FYI- The Chiefs had a turrible D last year.

1 minute ago, SprintBomb said:

Ok trade anyone but Fuller. And your assuming the Chiefs would be ok with that. Your assuming the redskins didn't try offering another player. And roll with McCoy?? Really? There is a reason why Mccoy has been a career backup 

Yes that's true but that ship sailed 2 years ago

I’m not assuming that.  If they balk at another player, then you offer compensation in terms of draft picks.  

Or better still, you walk away.  Negotiating is not giving in to the other sides demands... that’s called getting screwed.  

All because Bruce was scared we wouldn’t look good at the qb spot and therefore he’d take a bunch more flak for the Cousins situation.  

Literally, we’d have been better off trading Johnathan Allen, because he costs far more than Fuller, and we can get a good dlineman in the draft or FA.  You can’t just go out and get arguably the best slot corner and (arguably) the best player on your team (from last year).  

Anyone here that would have been ok trading away Allen?  Yeah, I thought not.  

Archived