Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

8 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

This $70 million guaranteed everyone is throwing around is likely to be significantly less when the full details are out.  Based on the way Bruce negotiates the 3rd year is almost certainly guaranteed for injury only and so the actual guarantees will be around $47 million and we have an off ramp in year 3 of the extension if Smith is declining and we have a replacement on the roster.  If you really think that deal would have been signed by Kirk when it is less than he was offered and declined last year then you are drinking Mike McCartney's kool aid.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not assuming that.  If they balk at another player, then you offer compensation in terms of draft picks.  

Or better still, you walk away.  Negotiating is not giving in to the other sides demands... that’s called getting screwed.  

All because Bruce was scared we wouldn’t look good at the qb spot and therefore he’d take a bunch more flak for the Cousins situation.  

Literally, we’d have been better off trading Johnathan Allen, because he costs far more than Fuller, and we can get a good dlineman in the draft or FA.  You can’t just go out and get arguably the best slot corner and (arguably) the best player on your team (from last year).  

Anyone here that would have been ok trading away Allen?  Yeah, I thought not.  

Everything in your response is an assumption. You,me and nobody else on this board knows how this trade went down. Lots of armchair general managers screaming that the sky is falling. 

You need a good QB to compete in this league, and we traded for one. 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Are you suggesting we won't hear a peep from the front office until march? 

How is that even possible on a story this big. 

Because this deal isn't "official" until March 14th when the NFL's new year begins. Which means, in a technical sense, it hasn't happened yet.

They really can't talk about something that officially hasn't happened.

We may have to wait for their reaction.

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Well, I would imagine that the team will draft a replacement in the middle round(s) of the draft in the next season or two. Ideally you want Alex Smith to progress the team forward and by the time he goes..(which is likely after 3 seasons in all reality) the drafted QB who has been sitting on the bench learning for a couple seasons, is ready to step in.

That plan didn't work with Brunell/Collins/McNabb so most likely this will turn in to a **** show again. And we'll be back having the same discussion in 2020.

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Some of yall are so hurt over this its actually making me feel better lol

It's the beautiful catharsis of the Stadium :ols:

As bad as you feel, there's always someone else that's ready to end it all :ols:

In a way, nothing's really changed. We're still gonna suck next year. At least we don't have to suck with people like Paulsen or Shanahan or any other gump co-signing on every situation. That alone might make for a relaxing awful 2018 :ols:

Could they possibly... just possibly, have structured smiths deal so that they could cover the franchise tag on kirk for one more year, hoping for a trade?

Damnit we need something, anything, for cousins.  Andy Reid is out there trading ham sandwichez for 2nd round picks and we have a franchise qb and are about to get nothing

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No offense, but I'd venture a guess that you get behind most of what this team does every time they do it.  Only for it to always end miserably and then make excuses for why it should have worked but didn't.  The one consistency I see here with folks backing this move is that 99% of the folks doing it fall in the realm of the folks that always see a silver lining and remove history and logic from their view.

That is incorrect, I absolutely hate losing Fuller. I watched him at VT and knew he would excel in the NFL even with his bad rookie year. I’m looking at it as Kirk was never going to sign, he’s never won a playoff game, never won 10 games, sure he has the stats but IMO he wasn’t worth the money. Obviously this is a questionable trade, but after the final game against the giants who were the worst team in football who threw 3 picks I had seen enough. I’m still salty he threw an INT to DRC 2 years ago. Alex Smith can do whatever Kirk can. 

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I am playing Mr. Mom for the next five days, because my wife is flying to the Twin Cities to watch the Super Bowl with her dad and brother. Serves me right for marrying an Eagles' fan.

I assume McQueen would handle this turn of events by killing every member of his family in their sleep.

I've actually turned the suffering in on myself.  Like an ascetic Christian monk.  Being a permanent loser is the Sports Gods' will for us.  We have to embrace our losing as the righteous punishment for some distant sin and believe it to be a test of faith in our reward in the hereafter.

EDIT: And I meant that last part literally.  We're all going to be dead before this team wins another championship.

1 minute ago, maxspruill21 said:

That is incorrect, I absolutely hate losing Fuller. I watched him at VT and knew he would excel in the NFL even with his bad rookie year. I’m looking at it as Kirk was never going to sign, he’s never won a playoff game, never won 10 games, sure he has the stats but IMO he wasn’t worth the money. Obviously this is a questionable trade, but after the final game against the giants who were the worst team in football who threw 3 picks I had seen enough. I’m still salty he threw an INT to DRC 2 years ago. Alex Smith can do whatever Kirk can. 

Well said

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

It's the beautiful catharsis of the Stadium :ols:

As bad as you feel, there's always someone else that's ready to end it all :ols:

In a way, nothing's really changed. We're still gonna suck next year. At least we don't have to suck with people like Paulsen or Shanahan or any other gimp co-signing on every situation. That alone might make for a relaxing awful 2018 :ols:

That's what I'm saying with out without Kurt we would have been a clown show anyway. I was a little disappointed but this thread has more more amused than anything now. 

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Don't mistake hurt for simply dropping logic on folks that don't use it often.

I think most of us, look at my screen name, no longer end up "hurt" by the dumb stuff this franchise does on the reg.

Case in point lol. You dropping logic on these fools is one of the best parts of this. These inferior posters with their inferior (but equally useless) opinions. How dare they!

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'm sure we will still try and tag Cousins to draw teams in that he doesn't want to go to. I expect some **** to still fly on that.

Regarding Alex Smith, would have to think Gruden is heavily involved in that decision.

If you tag Cousins and he signs, you are locked into that if he doesn't get traded. And the cap hit is immediate.

In other words, it's impossible to tag him now as I'm not sure the cap space even exists.

4 minutes ago, zoony said:

Could they possibly... just possibly, have structured smiths deal so that they could cover the franchise tag on kirk for one more year, hoping for a trade?

Damnit we need something, anything, for cousins.  Andy Reid is out there trading ham sandwichez for 2nd round picks and we have a franchise qb and are about to get nothing

Dude if we let this guy walk for nothing, with all the interest in him, they have to be about the DUMBEST group of **** holes I have ever seen. Especially now that its confirmed the Broncos want him and we already made them waste a year waiting for him. 

We can debate if Smith will succeed, if a 3rd was good value or if Fuller was in the long term plans. 

The weirdest thing is the timing. Why now? I've only been able to think of a few reasons: 

Business related:

- Something happened where the Smith trade was going down and they had to move - Could happen, but the timing seems weird. The Chiefs were under no time crunch. 

- Washington wanted to spend no more effort on extending Kirk - Could be the sad truth, but still didn't need to do it now. 

Petty reasons: 

- Allen/Snyder was butt hurt over Kirk and his agent's comments - This makes sense with the timing of the trade. 

- Wanted to have the Skins mentioned in Superbowl week - Very petty, but I wouldn't put it past them. 

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

Everyone needs to come down. To much over reaction going on. Dan and Bruce are running the show. Have they ever let you down?

Never have I wanted to judo chop someone over the internet more than this moment lol

6 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Relax everybody. Bruce and Dan have a master plan. It’s a well-oiled machine. Redskins til the day I die baby! That day that can’t get here soon enough.

Seconds apart. All yall getting judo chops today. 

7 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

That plan didn't work with Brunell/Collins/McNabb so most likely this will turn in to a **** show again. And we'll be back having the same discussion in 2020.

Comparing this to McNabb is low hanging fruit at this point.  McNabb's work ethic was awful, he showed up to camp bloated and unmotivated.  Andy Reid being willing to trade within the division should have set off red flags.

Alex Smith has cons to his games, but he isn't McNabb 2.0.

24 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I thought the never-Kirkers and the Kirk-homers would agree one one thing: if Kirk was gone, the best course of action was to replace him in the draft.  Now I'm seeing plenty of never-Kirkers lauding this trade as some sort of a necessary transaction.  5 years for $111 million.  The never-Kirkers would've flipped if Cousins got that deal.  It was never about anything other than wanting Kirk gone.  It didn't matter who we signed for what price.   

The WORST place to replace Kirk was via the draft. The ONLY reasons to dislike this move is if one believes there really was a good chance to keep Kirk (no crying over spilled milk) or the fact that Fuller was included.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've actually turned the suffering in on myself.  Like an ascetic Christian monk.  Being a permanent loser is the Sports Gods' will for us.  We have to embrace our losing as the righteous punishment for some distant sin and believe it to be a test of faith in our reward in the hereafter.

^

Look at this. Look at what Dan Snyder has done to this poor guy :(

This could be you, or someone you love

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

We can debate if Smith will succeed, if a 3rd was good value or if Fuller was in the long term plans. 

The weirdest thing is the timing. Why now? I've only been able to think of a few reasons: 

Business related:

- Something happened where the Smith trade was going down and they had to move - Could happen, but the timing seems weird. The Chiefs were under no time crunch. 

- Washington wanted to spend no more effort on extending Kirk - Could be the sad truth, but still didn't need to do it now. 

Petty reasons: 

- Allen/Snyder was butt hurt over Kirk and his agent's comments - This makes sense with the timing of the trade. 

- Wanted to have the Skins mentioned in Superbowl week - Very petty, but I wouldn't put it past them. 

I heard at least 4 other teams were trying to get this deal done.

Archived