Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Smith's #s were never as good as Cousins's until last year when he had waaaay better supporting cast(while all of Cousins were let go or injured).

I shudder to think what Smith will do handing off to the likes of Robert Kelly and trying to throw to Ryan freaking Grant.

5 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Not here to bash Mahomes but he is very hyped up from the Chiefs fans I know, is this kid really good or something? Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs 4 times. The fans seem happy to see him go, skins fans are on the verge of suicide over an inflated, soon to be overpaid QB that has been to one playoff game since being drafted in 2012.

I know Mahomes won his first start in week 17 but he didn’t look that good in that game. If the Chiefs acted too soon handing him the starting reigns I wonder if these Chiefs fans posting here would be willing to come back in the season and eat some crow. The whole Mahomes thing is way over hyped. The reason the Chiefs did this was because they screwed up the salary cap and needed the money. The question of if Mahomes can play and lead them to the playoffs is still in question

2 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Not here to bash Mahomes but he is very hyped up from the Chiefs fans I know, is this kid really good or something? Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs 4 times. The fans seem happy to see him go, skins fans are on the verge of suicide over an inflated, soon to be overpaid QB that has been to one playoff game since being drafted in 2012.

Alex Smith is a guy that will never take a chance, he will always dump it short, and misses wide open guys non stop.  He is a guy that can do big things, but seems to refuse to do them.  he will never win a game for you, but he wont lose them either.  Hes good enough that you will be sold 6-9 win team that is always picking in the middle of the first round, never high enough to get a legit prospect to replace him, and not good enough to win in the playoffs.  4 teams have ever had an 18 point lead in the playoffs and lost.  Alex Smith has QB'ed 2 of those games.  

Mahomes is hope for chiefs fans.  Its been 30 years since a QB drafted by KC has won a game.  

If the reason we couldn't make Cousins the top paid QB in the league is because it would doom our team to 7-9 to 9-7 records for the duration of the contract, then the FO must feel that paying Smith $23.5M/year puts us above that 7-9 to 9-7 region.  Therefore, if we don't hit at least 7-9, I would expect that the entire front office should be fired.  Is that asking too much?

I'm wondering because the fanbase seems to be evaluating this deal as if Smith is some bridge QB, the expectations aren't any higher, etc.  If Cousins would have doomed us to mediocrity, then Smith must do something better than that.  Right?

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Smith's #s were never as good as Cousins's until last year when he had waaaay better supporting cast(while all of Cousins were let go or injured).

I shudder to think what Smith will do handing off to the likes of Robert Kelly and trying to throw to Ryan freaking Grant.

Ryan Grant is pretty solid.  I’m growing a little fatigued with the “every guy on the team except Kirk Cousins is trash” narrative.

Seems kinda silly.

1 minute ago, Butters20 said:

Ugh. I just don't get this.

Hopefully they come to their senses and back out of this.

It REEKS of pettiness from Allen

If there was a way to back out of this it would be a festivus miracle.  Ideally, the trade gets revoked for tampering or something of that nature and Bruce Allen gets fired.  We need a competent GM.  This is just insane, i'm just waiting for this nightmare to be over.  

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

I know Mahomes won his first start in week 17 but he didn’t look that good in that game. If the Chiefs acted too soon handing him the starting reigns I wonder if these Chiefs fans posting here would be willing to come back in the season and eat some crow. The whole Mahomes thing is way over hyped. The reason the Chiefs did this was because they screwed up the salary cap and needed the money. The question of if Mahomes can play and lead them to the playoffs is still in question

Mahomes played in his first game with our second and third stringers.  He led a game winning drive.  he did things that Ive only seen Farve and Rodgers do.  Not comparing him to them, but he has a damn canon.  

1 hour ago, SprintBomb said:

We traded Bailey because he wasn't going to sign a long term deal.

Okay what's that got to do with trading a pick as well. I know why they traded him, but he was still the best CB in every league. Only a stupid organization would also get suckered into also trading a pick.

Just now, MahomesII said:

Alex Smith is a guy that will never take a chance, he will always dump it short, and misses wide open guys non stop.  He is a guy that can do big things, but seems to refuse to do them.  he will never win a game for you, but he wont lose them either.  Hes good enough that you will be sold 6-9 win team that is always picking in the middle of the first round, never high enough to get a legit prospect to replace him, and not good enough to win in the playoffs.  4 teams have ever had an 18 point lead in the playoffs and lost.  Alex Smith has QB'ed 2 of those games.  

Mahomes is hope for chiefs fans.  Its been 30 years since a QB drafted by KC has won a game.  

^Is that’s supposed to be some historical stat or something, because he won a meaningless week 17 game and he’s the first QB drafted by you guys to win a game in 30 years? Alex Smith was hope for Chiefs fans because he got you guys into the playoffs 4 times. Do you know the first step in winning a super bowl is? Getting into the playoffs. Good luck with the gamble. 

2 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

If the reason we couldn't make Cousins the top paid QB in the league is because it would doom our team to 7-9 to 9-7 records for the duration of the contract, then the FO must feel that paying Smith $23.5M/year puts us above that 7-9 to 9-7 region.  Therefore, if we don't hit at least 7-9, I would expect that the entire front office should be fired.  Is that asking too much?

I'm wondering because the fanbase seems to be evaluating this deal as if Smith is some bridge QB, the expectations aren't any higher, etc.  If Cousins would have doomed us to mediocrity, then Smith must do something better than that.  Right?

I think it's fair that this deal gives us an extra 5-10m in salary cap each year to further spend on bringing talent in. Lets hope that Gruden and Williams can keep bringing in impact players.

21 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

cant figure out how to embed a gif so heres a link.  

https://imgur.com/bW7KF71

If you havent watched much Alex Smith, expect a lot of this.

It is equal parts awful and great.  

So if your saying he is going to take a Sack and turn it into a 1st down then Im all good with that lol..  You can try to pick any qb apart, they all miss an open reciever from time to time but this is a feeble attempt and a good play by Smith. 

I dont know if Smith is the answer but I do think the secondary will be ok without Fuller.  Yes the loss does sting but Kirk is an inch tall when a game matters.  Put some real weapons around Smith and you never know what could happen...... Think it will be worse then 7-9??? Im guessing we will finish around the same next year maybe if we get a little luck and a lot less injuries we do better... The sky has not fallen although it may feel a little like it. 

Just now, MahomesII said:

Mahomes played in his first game with our second and third stringers.  He led a game winning drive.  he did things that Ive only seen Farve and Rodgers do.  Not comparing him to them, but he has a damn canon.  

RG had a cannon also... Not comparing, but there's no correlation to big arm = successful QB.

1 minute ago, maxspruill21 said:

^Is that’s supposed to be some historical stat or something, because he won a meaningless week 17 game and he’s the first QB drafted by you guys to win a game in 30 years? Alex Smith was hope for Chiefs fans because he got you guys into the playoffs 4 times. Do you know the first step in winning a super bowl is? Getting into the playoffs. Good luck with the gamble. 

Alex Smith is not hope.  He is purgatory.  

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

RG had a cannon also... Not comparing, but there's no correlation to big arm = successful QB.

there isn't, but it's better than a noodle arm.

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Yes we overpaid only because of Fuller but they needed this drama to end and Kirk was gone regardless. I’m fine with this trade

Sadly, so am I. The writing was on the wall with Kirk, he had to leave . So what, he wants to be wanted, he has probably always felt slighted here because in his mind the team stunted his development with the whole RG III nonsense. Personally,I don't care for people who need adulation and praise, suck it up not everyone is gonna like you kid ! Put your head down and take care of your business

Maybe this will be good for the team too. I really hope so because I am sick of stroking checks to Dan every summer for an INFERIOR PRODUCT.

6 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

The fan base and the FO are on two different wavelengths. Fan base wants someone to blame for our troubles and pay the consequences. Thats either going to be the FO (fat chance) or the players. This time it was Kurt. 

The FO wants to make money and it was personal between Kurt and Bruce. Bruce being big dog on the yard made a move to solidify that cause **** you thats why. And they have no problem using whatever excuse that the fans will except to sell it to them. 

Its really messed up when you think about it. 

7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

If there was a way to back out of this it would be a festivus miracle.  Ideally, the trade gets revoked for tampering or something of that nature and Bruce Allen gets fired.  We need a competent GM.  This is just insane, i'm just waiting for this nightmare to be over.  

Won't matter if Allen is gone. The owner will bring in another terrible decision maker. 

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Ryan Grant is pretty solid.  I’m growing a little fatigued with the “every guy on the team except Kirk Cousins is trash” narrative.

Seems kinda silly.

I've never seen such a narrative.  I think most everyone on any side of the Cousins debate can recognize guys like Trent, Scherff, Reed - when healthy which is never, Chris Thompson, those guys are not garbage at all.  But that's where the buck stops.  Pryor was a fail.  Doctson is hit or miss, mostly miss.  Grant while solid is not a guy constantly getting separation.  The running backs minus Thompson are all god awful.  I'm not sure how you could watch them last year and see it any differently.  Add to that a special teams that has atleast 1 gaffe per week and a defense that was decimated giving up so many points in several games. 

So yes, not every player on the team is trash.  But overall, the sum of the 2017 roster that actually played, was trash.

Ironic Andy Benoit who was slow to warm up to Kirk over the years but has warmed up some -- I was listening to him just now on 106.7, he thinks Alex Smith will be a noticeable downgrade from Kirk.

Andy Benoit predicts that Jay Gruden will be pulling his hair out by November because he'll be frustrated watching Alex Smith being unwilling to take chances in his offense.

6 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

This is hope.  leading a revciever open with a throw.  this is the kind of thing Smith doesnt do.

1xrszz5gb6jz.gif

Archived