Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

24 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

It's stuff like that that will kill you about Smith.  He could be a top 5-10 QB but he cant get out of his own way.  

You clearly missed Cousins taking a knee on the Eagles 6 yard line with 6 seconds on the clock before half time. He meant to spike the ball but got confused.... or Gruden icing his own kicker on a game winning OT FG attempt against the Bengals in London - he made it the first time, and after the icing missed it - game ended in a tie.... Like I said, we're well prepared for crazy, boneheaded plays around these parts.

1 hour ago, MahomesII said:

Alex Smith is a guy that will never take a chance, he will always dump it short, and misses wide open guys non stop.  He is a guy that can do big things, but seems to refuse to do them.  he will never win a game for you, but he wont lose them either.  Hes good enough that you will be sold 6-9 win team that is always picking in the middle of the first round, never high enough to get a legit prospect to replace him, and not good enough to win in the playoffs.  4 teams have ever had an 18 point lead in the playoffs and lost.  Alex Smith has QB'ed 2 of those games.  

Mahomes is hope for chiefs fans.  Its been 30 years since a QB drafted by KC has won a game.  

Hmmm. Sounds a little like the QB that is leaving here.

48 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

He did, and last year has been an outlier in his career as far as that is concerned.  Don't expect that out of him moving forward.  He had a career year surrounded by the best offense hes had.  and he still couldnt manage to have a single drive in the second half of the last playoff game to even get in field goal range.

Sounds like someone has an axe to grind. Odd that you would register for another teams board just to give your take on your EX QB. No agenda here at all folks.

41 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

I came here to warn you guys about the "word redacted" alex fans that are coming your way to ruin every discussion you guys have.  Please register and talk smack.  It's what makes internet message boards entertaining.  

Do you guys not have an ignore feature on your board or something?

Hope you all know that Alex Smith will only cost $17 million on an existing contract for 2018....not the $23.5 million being bandied about. That is the extension which kicks in 2019.  This looks like short term stop gap while grooming the next ‘franchise’ quarterback.  Wouldn’t surprise me to see the Redskins draft Mayfield if he is there at 13 and use Smith for a year or two to groom him.   On top of that Smith has been kicked around enough and closer to the end of his career for me to believe he will sign the extension just to get paid.  Highly doubt that he has any grandiose plans to win any championships at this stage of his career with this team which means he might just show up to play without giving the extra effort.  I have seen this too many times where the player has become jaded.  Another McNabb IMO.

2 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

I'm not saying Cousins was not going to leave, but that's an IF until we heard it from his mouth.

34 mil is too much for any quarterback, and Cousins knew he wasn't going to get that anywhere.

The fact that is was done soon, yes shows direction. But then signing him to maybe 3 mil per year less than the contract Cousins should/would get, while also giving up a 3rd round pick AND the best slot corner in the league(who is still on his rookie contract mind you), throws the savings out the window.

That leads me to believe it was not about the money for the FO and they were probably just fed up with Cousins.

Again, speaking of getting a 3rd round comp pick is a big IF.

For now, it is a sign they wanted to move on, and did... but they moved on for a net loss. Seems petty to me

I think if Kirk would have signed here for 25 then he would have been. We don’t know

1. What another teams going to sign him at

2. What it would have taken for the Redskins to sign him and I think it would have been more then another team that wanted to sign him

3. If the third round compensatory pick is in fact gone. It doesn’t have to be. All they have to do is not sign other teams free agents and use the cap money to sign thier own guys like Breeland, Murphy, Gillate, Brown or extend some one like Preston Smith this year. All doable and this trade helps to that end

Ive said all along that if we traded for Smith and played this right it meant that the QB position played at a high level and we can keep our 2014 draft picks. Or they could put nearly everything into the Cousins basket and lose everyone. If they do this right (shouldn’t be too difficult) then they keep Breeland and others they wouldn’t have kept and that’s good for the team.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Hmmm. Sounds a little like the QB that is leaving here.

That's kind of the point.

It's not that Smith is trash.  It's that we just paid marginally less for him than what Kirk will cost, and gave up a rookie contract stud and a 3rd rounder for it.  He's 34 years old and you know exactly who he is vs. a homegrown guy, 4 years younger, with an arrow that can still go up.  The stat and w/l comparisons are silly given the gobs of context that are missed when doing that.

I think most everyone was sold that Cousins was gone.  But most expected to salvage something out of the deal and nobody expected to lose Fuller, a 3rd, and 71M in obtaining Smith.  That's the reason for the onslaught of doom and gloom.

So, if this Kirk being close to Denver deal stuff (being floated by Cowherd) is true, you have to assume tag and trade is in play here (or LTD and trade on Denver's terms). If that's true, it means that the FO could massively redeem themselves. If that is the case, Kirk wanted to go to Denver, we threatened to franchise unless we made a deal and got something back for him, then the FO have actually played this situation out incredibly well (contingent of course on the compensation from Denver being a 3rd or better). If that's the case then although it blows to lose Fuller, then I'm happy with the way the situation has panned out overall. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Do you guys nto have an ignore feature on your board or something?

We do, but if any one quotes a post from them it still shows up unfortunately.  No axe to grind.  I legit only came here to tell you guys about this group of "chiefs" (Smith only) fans that will inevitably show up and be annoyingly pro-Smith al the time.  I poked at Smith a few times because I come from a jaded fan base, not that different from yours.  Im ducking out of here most likely permantly, but be warned, Alex Smith fans are coming, and they will be the bane of your internet boards existence.

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

So, if this Kirk being close to Denver deal stuff (being floated by Cowherd) is true, you have to assume tag and trade is in play here (or LTD and trade on Denver's terms). If that's true, it means that the FO could massively redeem themselves. If that is the case, Kirk wanted to go to Denver, we threatened to franchise unless we made a deal and got something back for him, then the FO have actually played this situation out incredibly well (contingent of course on the compensation from Denver being a 3rd or better). If that's the case then although it blows to lose Fuller, then I'm happy with the way the situation has panned out overall. 

I pray they do redeem themselves.

In a vacuum, the deal they just agreed to sucks.

If they can get something significant, I'm not holding my breath, they could turn this into a huge win. Especially if it comes out later that Kirk wouldn't sign here unless we started at the 34 million mark, or not at all.

I'm getting a little bit more info now.

Denver offered KC 2nd & Talib

Browns had a ****load of picks to offer.

Skins offered up Fuller-he's younger & cheaper then Talib & KC still gets a starting CB.

What this implies is that boh Denver & Cleveland had Smith ranked higher then Cousins.

1 minute ago, Butters20 said:

I pray they do redeem themselves.

In a vacuum, the deal they just agreed to sucks.

If they can get something significant, I'm not holding my breath, they could turn this into a huge win. Especially if it comes out later that Kirk wouldn't sign here unless we started at the 34 million mark, or not at all.

if the compenstation we get for Cousins is more than what we gave up in this deal.  AKA we gave up a 3rd and then Fuller is a 4th

We’ll need to see what Kirk gets from his new team before we judge this 100 percent. 

There were were a lot of qbs available this year. Personally, I could have been more interested in Christian ponder or bridgewater, at least for a year or so as they have upside potential and would have been cheaper.

i hate to loose a young sure fire talent for an old average qb...

id rather go 3-13 with ponder and continue building our defense than 8-8 with Alex smith.

People saying we can't win a Superbowl with Alex Smith.....ok point conceded. I probably agree.

However, this team is so far off the radar of "Super Bowl contenders" that I am not sure why that is even a valid criticism.

This team needs to start making the playoffs or hell, even being in the conversation come December, CONSISTENTLY, before anyone even flirts with claiming to be a SB contender.

There is a very good chance by the time this team is a true contender Alex Smith would theoretically be in the final season of his contract or the team would be starting his draft pick replacement in his first season.

Newflash, this isn't a super bowl contender that just lost it's QB.  It was a perennial .500 team.  The team overall still needs to be improved.  Regardless if the team found a way to keep Cousins.  Even with Cousins, there were tons of holes to fill.  Those holes still need to be filled.  Fuller is gone, so yes, one more hole needs to be filled.  Losing Fuller sucks, but it's not the end of the world.  I didn't want to lose him either, but I've never seen so many people willing to jump off the bridge over a slot corner.  Bring in guys to improve the pass rush and it will lessen the impact of losing Fuller. 

Everyone acting like this trade was the end of the offseason need to take a step back, take some deep breaths, count to ten, and buckle up, because there is still a draft coming, plus free agency.  Players are coming back healthy for Week 1.

R-E-L-A-X.

9 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I dont know why Kirk would agree to this. He is going to be a free agent regardless at this point. There is no chance we tag him because we cant afford to lose the salary cap space. Kirk will leave for Denver and we will get the 3rd round comp pick. That is the only scenario I see playing out at this point.

6 minutes ago, TK said:

Skins offered up Fuller-he's younger & cheaper then Talib & KC still gets a starting CB.

What this implies is that boh Denver & Cleveland had Smith ranked higher then Cousins.

Have you heard anything that indicates that we might get something for Cousins, or are we all dreaming?

6 minutes ago, TK said:

Gotcha.  So 3 of the worst teams in the NFL at picking QBs all picked the wrong QB.  I'm not surprised.

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Do you guys not have an ignore feature on your board or something?

Not sure if you have ever visited other team boards/forums or not, but just about all of them are moderated by fans and have extremely slack rules.  Heck, I've been on some and just asked a simple question and got cursed out by everyone on there, including mods.  Be grateful we have a nice place here to post/interact, with rules that are actually enforced and mods that actually care.  A lot of those other boards are pathetic, **** holes.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know why Kirk would agree to this. He is going to be a free agent regardless at this point. There is no chance we tag him because we cant afford to lose the salary cap space. Kirk will leave for Denver and we will get the 3rd round comp pick. That is the only scenario I see playing out at this point.

Because I don't think Kirk wants to play a game of chicken with us on whether we'll franchise tag him or not - we have proven that we're not afraid to use it and if he genuinely wants to win anything in his career and it genuinely isn't all about the $$ for him, he needs to be moving now. He'll be 30 before the season starts. 31 by the time he starts the 2019 season with a new team if we franchise him. Hell, we could tag him and bench him out of spite - we'd have a PR nightmare for doing it, but our FO aren't exactly known for being smart.

7 minutes ago, TK said:

I would add that the Redskins were about right with what they offered, though the Redskins should be able to recoup the pick next year. It also frees up the Skins with the first pick to go for BPA which might happen to be a person for the secondary and allow the Redskins for the right QB to come along to pick up in the new few years.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

He may agree to it if Denver is his preferred location and he has some reason to believe Denver may move on to another target rather than wait and take the risk, however slim, that he is not available in free agency.  Denver has trade ammunition and veterans it needs to move and might prefer to lock up their QB situation before FA begins.

I admit it seems like a long shot but there are valid reasons why it might happen.  I do doubt it though because Kirk and his agent have spoken so often of wanting to know what FA would be like for him that I think even if Denver is his preferred choice he would rather risk them moving on than limit his options at this stage. 

I was prepared to come back and recant from my knee jerk reaction last night. Then I found out about the Fuller trade and how it unfolded. 

Like I said last night, the only good news is pitchers and catchers report in two weeks. 

At this point, I'm a "Redskins fan" only in the same way an Irishman who hasn't been to Mass in a decade is still "Catholic": in name only and mostly because of where I was born. Honestly, you 'Skins fans from outside of the D.C. area/Non-D.C. area Virginia confuse me. If I weren't born in Silver Spring and if my folks weren't from the District, I would have split a long time ago. This nonsense is basically in my genetic makeup.

And what real repercussions are there going to be from this truly baffling trade? Despite 25 years, two team owners, and a carousel of front office and coaching personnel, and playing at what seems like one of the least liked stadiums in the league - this team is one of the most valuable in the world. After all the nonsense this team has been through - from the "glorious" Richie Petitbone era to today - they keep making money. Is this really gonna be the straw that breaks the camel's back? 

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not sure if you have ever visited other team boards/forums or not, but just about all of them are moderated by fans and have extremely slack rules.  Heck, I've been on some and just asked a simple question and got cursed out by everyone on there, including mods.  Be grateful we have a nice place here to post/interact, with rules that are actually enforced and mods that actually care.  A lot of those other boards are pathetic, **** holes.

Mine is a fan owned and controlled board.  Most everyone is an asshole to everyone.  We are loosely moderated on purpose, it makes for a more interesting board in my opinion.  We can have really great football talk, but it's been sorta crummy lately with the way the playoffs went this year.  It's a pretty happy place today though. 

Archived