Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

We didn't get fleeced, but we certainly gave up more than I would have liked. When I heard the trade was a pick & player, I was hoping for 3rd and Preston, and I was fine with that. Fuller is an absolute stud and I'm very surprised many on here are downplaying that. We went from having the #1 slot corner in the NFL to no slot corner. 

Anyhow, the trade still works for me. Because of our dumbass front office, Cousins had us by the cojones and the only way to keep him would have been to tag him again, which would have put us in an even worse spot. Getting Smith is a lateral move, keeps us competitive and if we can find a way to NOT be the most injured team in the league next year than improvement is certainly possible.

5 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Ugh. I just don't get this.

Hopefully they come to their senses and back out of this.

It REEKS of pettiness from Allen

I take the opposite view.

Kirk Cousins was gone unless they forced him to stay at a cost of 34 million this season. That’s far too much to pay for any QB. The front office had to make a decision on what to do

The fact this was done and announced so soon shows direction from the front office. The fact that they choose Smith over the questionable free agents out there in hopes of low balling them in price and leaving the third round compensatory pick in play shows intellegence.

Like I said before if they get the third round pick back next year they end up getting Alex Smith for Kendall Fuller. That’s a win for them. I don’t like Bruce and hope he is fired and gone but this was not a bad decision. 

Someone somewhere decided that Kirk wasn’t a QB they believed in and they didn’t want to be strapped to. He was gone in March regardless unless the team massively overpaid for him like they did the past two seasons. Thing about Kirk is he’s been working with some of the absolute best QB minds in the NFL today. He learned from Jay, from McVay, and the Shanahans. So I don’t think he is a system QB. But he maybe

I like whoever made the decision he wasn’t worth signing probably saw all of the losses to the Giants and chokes and thought he was good for 8 wins a year. And Alex Smith is worth 8 win a year too except with Smith they now have a bridge QB who won’t make noise when they draft a new QB like Kirk would. Until Kirk puts on tape signature wins and starts making regular playoff appearances these two Alex and Kirk are on the same level and some NFL executives believe that Alex Smith is an upgrade from Kirk.

what a cluster of a team.....I saw this pop up on my phone and first thing that came to mind is Donovan Mcnabb.   That worked great.  I really hate this franchise.   Such a ghost of what it was back with the old man was alive.    

Well we know fuller will go on to be a great player somewhere else and get a shot at a superbowl.   

9 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Sadly, so am I. The writing was on the wall with Kirk, he had to leave . So what, he wants to be wanted, he has probably always felt slighted here because in his mind the team stunted his development with the whole RG III nonsense. Personally,I don't care for people who need adulation and praise, suck it up not everyone is gonna like you kid ! Put your head down and take care of your business

Maybe this will be good for the team too. I really hope so because I am sick of stroking checks to Dan every summer for an INFERIOR PRODUCT.

Your point made me think about the 2017 Alex Smith story. The Chiefs made a surprising move up in the draft and took the Texas Tech QB. All the chatter after that was how Smith would be replaced mid season by the one year sensation.

How did Smith respond? He turned his chin to the ground, said nothing of any consequence or controversial and went out to have his best professional season in the league.

Even during the season when the Chiefs lost a couple of games in a row there wasn’t any serious noise about benching Smith. Chiefs fans knew they could right the ship with Alex he had led them to the playoffs 3/4 seasons he played there. And that’s what Alex did. Led them to the playoffs and gave the Chiefs a chance.

Thats the type of player we need. Someone when met with a challenge works hard and meets it head on. 

4 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

He just had his first 4K yard season.  The guy he's replacing had 3 in his only 3 full seasons.  That includes this year when he did so with much lesser talent.

Ironically it was the 1st year Andy Reid had a QB throw for 4000 yards.  Different coach and system.  Comparing apples and oranges.

Plus the Chiefs have a running game.  More often then not, will you not have a 4000 passer when you're pretty much consistently ranking in the top 10 in rushing as a team.

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yes you have.  

Sure, every once in a blue moon, someone will make a general statement like "It's Kirk and a bunch of scabs".  If you choose to count that as a narrative, that's on you.  But I think there has been more than enough in depth discussion on the topic to know that people don't truly believe it's Kirk Cousins as gods gift to the QB position and 52 terds every Sunday.  And honestly, coming from a guy that speaks almost totally in hyperbole in regards to Cousins, it seems kind of an odd thing for you to point out.

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Thats the type of player we need. Someone when met with a challenge works hard and meets it head on. 

You can bask in the glory of the team picking up Smith all you want.  It's fine really, I don't even hate the guy.

But I'm pretty sure Kirk fits the bill for a guy who works hard all the time, not only when met with a challenge, and doesn't shy away from it.  This kind of stuff is just silly.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'd sign it immediately.

$32 million this year and he's a free agent next year. He would be in position to make $150 million over 4 years in guaranteed money.

What, to sit on the bench, that's not what Kirks about. It's not about the money.....

I'm sure your right, but nothing would surprise me. 

4 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Didn’t Alex smith have the best numbers in the NFL last year for throws 20+ yds?

He did, and last year has been an outlier in his career as far as that is concerned.  Don't expect that out of him moving forward.  He had a career year surrounded by the best offense hes had.  and he still couldnt manage to have a single drive in the second half of the last playoff game to even get in field goal range.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sure, every once in a blue moon, someone will make a general statement like "It's Kirk and a bunch of scabs".  If you choose to count that as a narrative, that's on you.  But I think there has been more than enough in depth discussion on the topic to know that people don't truly believe it's Kirk Cousins as gods gift to the QB position and 52 terds every Sunday.  And honestly, coming from a guy that speaks almost totally in hyperbole in regards to Cousins, it seems kind of an odd thing for you to point out.

There are guys in here...really smart guys...reeling off doom and gloom screeds in giant font and a dozen rofl smilies while I’m asserting that Kirk is a C+ level QB with excessive salary demands and a foot out the door and that Alex Smith is a very solid QB.

But I’m the guy guilty of hyperbole?!?

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

There are guys in here...really smart guys...reeling off doom and gloom screeds in giant font and a dozen rofl smilies while I’m asserting that Kirk is a C+ level QB with excessive salary demands and a foot out the door and that Alex Smith is a very solid QB.

But I’m the guy guilty of hyperbole?!?

fv8dDvK.gif

They did the best they could under the circumstances.  So unlike the plan to try to draft Baker Mayfield at least there is hope moving forward.  And let's not put Kendall Fuller in the Hall of Fame just yet.  Keep in mind the reports are the Broncos offered a real Hall of Famer Talib and a 2nd but was unwilling to sign a long term deal which is why Smith rejected the idea.  So the trade was fair, when I first saw the news I thought it would involve a higher pick.

With all that said I will always remain bitter that they let a QB as good as Kirk walk out the door by simply being unfair in their negotiations.  That story above about sending him the exact same offer later is downright embarrassing.  I hope Kirk goes to Denver and wins the Super Bowl next year. 

24 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

Alex Smith is not hope.  He is purgatory.  

Thanks for creating an account to come here and troll us with your views on Alex Smith.  When your shiny new quarterback is getting beaten senseless by Von Miller and turning over more frequently than a hooker in a navy town I will be sure to register on your message boards and return the favor.

Archived