Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You can bask in the glory of the team picking up Smith all you want.  It's fine really, I don't even hate the guy.

But I'm pretty sure Kirk fits the bill for a guy who works hard all the time, not only when met with a challenge, and doesn't shy away from it.  This kind of stuff is just silly.

Kirk has been a magnet of controversy for this team the past two seasons and the closer he got to free agency the louder he became. The interviews he gave this week were blatant in the message, he was leaving and wouldn’t work with the team to stay unless they tagged him. The only people not getting that point are fans who don’t understand Kirk was no longer an option and the team had to move on

We never saw Kirk have his replacement drafted when he was here so we can’t say how he would have reacted to that but we saw it in Kansas City and Alex Smith was perfect about handling it. That’s in the Redskins future and Alex will not be a malcontent when it happens. That was the point

Kirk may work hard but what did it result in? 

9-7

8-8

7-9

Yardage doesn’t matter what matters is winning ball games. Kirk for all his teachings from the QB gurus still choked in the team’s biggest games. If he doesn’t overcome that all he will ever be is an 8-8 QB no matter how long he plays. And that is not someone anyone should pay the biggest contract in the league to. 

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

What, to sit on the bench, that's not what Kirks about. It's not about the money.....

I'm sure your right, but nothing would surprise me. 

I disagree...it is about the money.  

I wish Kirk well, but honestly, I'm glad the situation has been resolved.  He's become a distraction.

6 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

He did, and last year has been an outlier in his career as far as that is concerned.  Don't expect that out of him moving forward.  He had a career year surrounded by the best offense hes had.  and he still couldnt manage to have a single drive in the second half of the last playoff game to even get in field goal range.

So he was the best in the NFL last year for deep balls but you’re saying next year he will be no where close to his production? He will tank and unproven Mahomes who won a meaningless game and threw one good deep ball will lead the “Chiefs Kingdom” to the glory years and back into the playoffs? Sheesh, wish I was a KC fan.

27 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Thanks for creating an account to come here and troll us with your views on Alex Smith.  When your shiny new quarterback is getting beaten senseless by Von Miller and turning over more frequently than a hooker in a navy town I will be sure to register on your message boards and return the favor.

I came here to warn you guys about the "word redacted" alex fans that are coming your way to ruin every discussion you guys have.  Please register and talk smack.  It's what makes internet message boards entertaining.  

I like the trade Alex is has a better W/L record than Kirk and has taken his teams to the playoffs multiple times plus he doesn't s**t the bed in the red zone or at crunch time like Kirk. I like that we're saving 7 million this year and that we can use the franchise tag on Zack Brown if we need to plus we're flush at CB though I hate giving up Fuller (beast) and we should get a 3rd RD Comp pick next year for Kirk walking. So we essentially traded Alex Smith for Kendall Fuller.

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Thanks for creating an account to come here and troll us with your views on Alex Smith.  When your shiny new quarterback is getting beaten senseless by Von Miller and turning over more frequently than a hooker in a navy town I will be sure to register on your message boards and return the favor.

We have a winner, have fun watching Mahomes go 7-9, 8-8 for a few years. He will get picked apart by the broncos secondary. 

3 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

discussion you guys have.  Please register and talk ****.  It's what makes internet message boards entertaining.  

Actually what we like about our message board is most of us engage in thoughtful or thought provoking dialogue. Trash talking boards get old fast.

Just now, maxspruill21 said:

So he was the best in the NFL last year for deep balls but you’re saying next year he will be no where close to his production? He will tank and unproven Mahomes who won a meaningless game and threw one good deep ball will lead the “Chiefs Kingdom” to the glory years and back into the playoffs? Sheesh, wish I was a KC fan.

No, I'm saying Smith has a 13 year track record of showing that is not his game.  He had a surrounding cast that consisted of a 1k yard rusher, tight end, and reciever.  It was the best offenssive cast hes ever played with and still didnt win anything of meaning.  Mahomes is an unproven kid with potential through the roof.  He may bust, but at least it will be fun to watch for a  while.  

11 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your point made me think about the 2017 Alex Smith story. The Chiefs made a surprising move up in the draft and took the Texas Tech QB. All the chatter after that was how Smith would be replaced mid season by the one year sensation.

How did Smith respond? He turned his chin to the ground, said nothing of any consequence or controversial and went out to have his best professional season in the league. 

Some have suggested in here that it is just a paycheck for him.  Bull****.  The guy has to have even a bigger chip on his shoulder now then ever before.  Has a good start with the Niners gets hurt, sidelined, Kap steps in and Alex is traded. Take that Alex.  Goes to KC, plays well for the most part and then last year while the heir apparent is in waiting he has a kick ass year.  

The guy is going to do the same thing here.  Of course he has pride and an ego.  He is an NFL QB.  He is going to just shut his mouth and work.  But he will have a massive chip on his shoulder.  Let's see how he does.

It is up to this FO to get him a decent back and upgrade at the receiver position.    We will see. But Alex is a very comparable product to Cousin's IMO.  

On 1/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, purbeast said:

While I agree with you, all of the arm chair GM's (and the Redskins GM) thinks you can win without a QB because the Ravens did it once like 15 years ago or whatever. 

I can't believe I still am reading people saying to draft a rookie or roll with Colt and just get a stronger defense and we'll be ready to compete...

Most of us that are saying that are okay with sucking next year and taking some lumps, if it sets us up for a stronger 4-5 year run.

14 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I can't even sleep right now cause im pissed off. The sad thing is they don't even tell him that hes getting traded. 

That was me last night, could not fall asleep.   I'm just thankful since I drew the short straw and had to pick a non skins team on MaddeN (son won the skins rights) I was torn between the Packers, Steelers, Colts, or Falcons.  I chose the Pack... and first thing I did was Trade for Fuller.  (Now I got Fuller and Ricky JF. former skins both now :/)

14 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Maybe Moreau steps up this year. You can always get another corner in free agency..

If the rumors of Kirk to Denver being lined up with a Brinks Trunk and a Cabin Cruiser on a trailer, and that Denver may release a high priced corner to make room.  Isn't Aqib Talib an old Bruce Allen pick from Tampa Bay?

Alright. I'll give it a try...

Jay Gruden got quite a bit out of Andy Dalton. I think if ranking on talent I'd go Cousins, Smith then Dalton. If we can agree on that then Jay should be able to get some decent production from Smith...

I feel so dirty...

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh Good God....

Everyones talking about how this was Smiths first time ever throwing for 4000 yards and how Kirk did that for the past few seasons like that matters.

You tell me this. To start the NFL season the Chiefs had to go into New England who was hoisting it’s newly received Super Bowl Championship banner that night.

Given the same team would you rather start Kirk in that game or Alex Smith?

Kirk showed me enough over the past six seasons that I would have rather started Alex Smith in that game. And of course we all know the Chiefs won that game. Do you really think that Kirk could win a game like that on national TV in New England when he couldn’t win a game in NY no one was watching against a two win team? 

Just now, skinsmania123 said:

Some have suggested in here that it is just a paycheck for him.  Bull****.  The guy has to have even a bigger chip on his shoulder now then ever before.  Has a good start with the Niners gets hurt, sidelined, Kap steps in and Alex is traded. Take that Alex.  Goes to KC, plays well for the most part and then last year while the heir apparent is in waiting he has a kick ass year.  

The guy is going to do the same thing here.  Of course he has pride and an ego.  He is an NFL QB.  He is going to just shut his mouth and work.  But he will have a massive chip on his shoulder.  Let's see how he does.

It is up to this FO to get him a decent back and upgrade at the receiver position.    We will see. But Alex is a very comparable product to Cousin's IMO.  

Alex Smith absolutely will work harder than anyone in your building, he legitimately cares about winning and will be great in the community.  But none of that matter when it comes to winning in the playoffs.  He just hasn't shown that he is good enough to do it.  I dont wish him any ill will by leaving.  Im just glad the chiefs have a QB with upside that is higher than what Smith provided.

5 minutes ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

You are so wrong for this! I had him purged from my mind until I saw this and it all came flooding back! Curse you

To be fair, I probably would have forgotten him too. I just happened to start an 05 franchise in Madden and have been rocking the game with his cannon arm because I can't use left handers like Brunell for anything lol

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

If the rumors of Kirk to Denver being lined up with a Brinks Trunk and a Cabin Cruiser on a trailer, and that Denver may release a high priced corner to make room.  Isn't Aqib Talib an old Bruce Allen pick from Tampa Bay?

Now we're talking! Norman as our #1 CB, Aqib Talib #2, and we finally move DeAngelo Hall back to CB to be our nickel now that Fuller is gone. I hear Phillip Buchanan is still on the market...

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

To avoid a bidding war.   He is (by most accounts) a franchise QB going into his prime... Very rare a QB like that hits FA... IF a team like Denver really wants him and wants to avoid a team like the Jets with a ton of money out bidding them then this is a way for them to get their QB.  Are they or any team willing to do a deal for 28 mil?  Id think its possible. 

Edit*

Better yet lets just start making deals with all QBs.  Tag kirk.  Then we can set the market and sell high!

But Cousins gets to pick where he goes under any circumstance.  If he signs the transition tag and Denver or anyone goes to low he can say nah I'm good at 28 Mill this season.  Then what do the Skins do?  And why if he is tagged does it keep anyone from bidding? I just don't see any upside for the skins using the tag now.  

Archived