Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I don't think there's enough compensation to make my wife move away from her family for example. Especially at the level of rookie pay.

Just think in this day and age, the player should be allowed to have a think and a say - same as for example the transfer in soccer.

But the whole concept of the draft doesn't bother you?

2 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I don't think there's enough compensation to make my wife move away from her family for example. Especially at the level of rookie pay.

Just think in this day and age, the player should be allowed to have a think and a say - same as for example the transfer in soccer.

It's a part of the business they are getting into. The moment he entered the draft he had to accept this as a possibility.

If you want an idea of how bad the Redskins front office handling of the QB situation is, compare them to Kansas City.  Both teams will go forward without last years starting QB, and that's basically the only similarity.  KC chose when to move on and had the next man waiting on the bench.  They will get younger, save far more in cap space, add a starting defender, and a 3rd round pick.  All of this for an already superior team.

The front office separates winners from losers.  Consistently good teams accumulate talent and assets, and seem to get value from everything they have.  The Redskins do not have that sort of front office, they have the other kind. 

5 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

They do have a choice... don't play and make a living like the rest of us.

29 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I find it intriguing that generally players just agree to trades. Fuller isn't spoken to by either team , is under contract to Washington and isn't asked if he is fine to be traded. He could theoretically just say 'no?' or is there something in contract law in the NFL which reduces that ability?

Image result for what animated gif

Unless there is some no trade clause in a contract, the team owns the rights to the player when under contract, including the right to trade them where ever the team wants to.  So, he could say "No" all he wants, but he is a Kansas City Chief once the trade is finalized.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

but he is a Kansas City Chief once the trade is finalized.

And Fuller sure didn't sound to upset about it. I don't think I would be either, though. If I was a player, I'd jump at the opportunity to leave this rotting pile of feces and jump ship to an actual NFL franchise.

3 hours ago, maxspruill21 said:

^Is that’s supposed to be some historical stat or something, because he won a meaningless week 17 game and he’s the first QB drafted by you guys to win a game in 30 years? Alex Smith was hope for Chiefs fans because he got you guys into the playoffs 4 times. Do you know the first step in winning a super bowl is? Getting into the playoffs. Good luck with the gamble. 

RB - Kareem Hunt > Rob Kelley
WR - Tyreek Hill > Josh Doctson
WR - Chris Conley = Jamison Crowder
WR - Albert Wilson > Ryan Grant
TE - Travis Kelce > Jordan Reed

LT - Eric Fisher < Trent Williams
LG - Bryan Witzmann = Arie Kouandj
OC - Mitch Morse > Chase Roullier
RG - LDT = Brandon Scherff
RT - Mitchell Schwartz > Morgan Moses

Good luck alex

Just now, thebeermonkey said:

Yeah soccer in Europe is different. You don't trade there. What teams do is they pay a transfer fee to buy a players contract off so they need to sign him to a new one. They don't straight up trade for the players rights and are able to keep his current contract. They always need to sign a new deal with the new team. So they can then just say to the new team. No I'm not going to sign a deal with you. The team will then not pay a transfer fee to buy our his current contract. 

In the NFL the rights stay in the league. Even if you go play in Canada there are rules for that. Probably had something to do with the draft system. 

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

And Fuller sure didn't sound to upset about it. I don't think I would be either, though. If I was a player, I'd jump at the opportunity to leave this rotting pile of feces and jump ship to an actual NFL franchise.

Nope, he posted that funny gif of Homer Simpson fading away into the bushes behind him, then another about being a Chief.  

Not sure I get all of the angst around this.  The Redskins knew they were losing Kirk so went out and grabbed a decent replacement who is a known commodity and won't have to be "coached up".  The deal is likely for 2-3 years with club options at the end.  $71M in guarantees doesn't mean Smith will see all of that money.  A good chuck of the $71M is probably in annual roster bonuses that become void in the years after the team chooses to release him.

I liked Fuller but he was still an unknown quantity.  Unfortunately you have to give something up to get something in return.  With other teams interested in Smith, the Redskins had to pony up some value.  Will be much easier to add an impact defensive player (even an impact CB if need be) at #13 in the draft then it would have been to add a franchise QB. 

I don't love the mess the team got into but am not upset with the transaction to resolve it.  I'm not in love with Alex Smith but wasn't sold on Cousins either.  At the very least gives the team a multi-year extension on finding the right rookie QB to mold into a starter.

6 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

Transition tag cousins. Let the broncos work out the deal and match it. Then trade him to Broncos for a 2nd round pick.

Can't.  Skins won't have enough cap room if Cousins signs the tag to work out contracts with the rest of the players they need to sign.  Cousins could simply accept the tag then the team would be unable to fill out the rest of the roster.  Too much of a risk.

6 minutes ago, Mahomes said:

RB - Kareem Hunt > Rob Kelley
WR - Tyreek Hill > Josh Doctson
WR - Chris Conley = Jamison Crowder
WR - Albert Wilson > Ryan Grant
TE - Travis Kelce > Jordan Reed

LT - Eric Fisher < Trent Williams
LG - Bryan Witzmann = Arie Kouandj
OC - Mitch Morse > Chase Roullier
RG - LDT = Brandon Scherff
RT - Mitchell Schwartz > Morgan Moses

Good luck alex

Thanks for this in-depth analysis, Chiefs homer.

Oh, and you're in for a shock if you think that Mahomes is going to be any better than Smith. I fail to see how the one average game he played has allowed him to be the undisputed starter going forward.

9 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

They're not all making a fortune and have a pretty short career.

Kendal Fuller made $737,106 in 2017 ($2,405,000 guaranteed).  It takes me 3 1/2 years to make that.  His next contract will dwarf that.   Maybe it would not be worth it to you to have your career controlled in this way by your employer but for many that level of compensation would be well worth it.  

How do you feel about the service?  The pay isn't quite as good and your butt and its location is not controlled by you.

No one made him (or any other player) sign the contract that allows him to be traded.  

7 minutes ago, A Skinhead in Saints Land said:

Anybody that sees this is good is looking through burgundy and gold colored glasses.  This is no way a slight to Alex Smith.  I like Alex Smith.  The FO isn't looking to the future, and God forbid the word rebuild.  The evidence is strong.  You don't sink that kind of money in a 34 year old quarterback if you're looking to the future.  You don't trade away a 22 year old, very good, cornerback.  You don't trade picks for a 34 year old QB looking to the future.  I get the sense that this dumbass FO thinks we are "almost there" when we are literally light years away from it.

Cousins was gone after this season.  I had no delusions on that.  Our FO gave him 100% leverage in the situation, which is almost unheard of.  I'm not say Cousins is a game breaking QB either.  I find him and Alex interchangeable in my opinion, but there would've been plenty of serviceable quarterbacks we could've signed in FA to be a one year stop gap while a rookie sat for a year to soak up the system, but all the evidence is showing me that drafting a QB in the first round is the farthermost thing from the FO's mind.  Reaching for a receiver or cornerback will be the most likely scenario during this year's draft.

I am inclined to not like this deal but at the moment the full picture is obscured.  It is possible there are more moves yet to be revealed that may help make more sense of why we went in this direction and in truth the winners and losers of the trade won't be known for certain for a couple of years once we see the impact on the respective teams fortunes.

I get the desire to go get Smith if Kirk was 100% out of here.  I don't think FA provided any better options and so absent this deal we would probably have rolled with Colt which might have been ok but probably a disaster.  The problem here is that we would have been obligated almost to spend our top pick on a quarterback and we are picking too low for that to end well, we either would have had to trade a ton of capital to move up or sit where we were and end up reaching just like the Vikings did with Ponder or the Jags with Gabbert.  Looking at the draft analysis that is out there it is clear that this years crop does not include an Andrew Luck or any other sure fire prospect and swinging and missing could set the team back years.

I like that we are in a position to continue to flesh out the roster and build and are not under pressure to go get the next QB this year or even next and can take our time to find the right guy.  Smith allows us to be patient, he is also a legitimate starter so the guys already here won't feel we are throwing in the towel and any new offensive pieces we acquire can be properly evaluated which is not always the case when you have inept QB play.

I am a homer, not afraid to admit it after 37 years following this team, but at the end of the day you have to accept the things you cannot change.  I liked Kirk, wanted him here for his career but it didn't happen.  I can let it fester and eat away at me or I can look for the positives and remain optimistic that in spite of our obvious failings we somehow can come out of this ahead.  I see lots of people saying they are out and done with the team but that is not an option for me, it's Redskins or nothing, only way I know how to be a fan.

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I get that part but everything else is crazy. 

If the redskins can't comment how are so many details of the deal known. 

Like full compensation and the extension for smith. 

How is this possible without a word from the office. 

They probably get the info either from the player's agent or from a source on the team.Or a source in the league office, possibly.

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Thanks for this in-depth analysis, Chiefs homer.

Oh, and you're in for a shock if you think that Mahomes is going to be any better than Smith. I fail to see how the one average game he played has allowed him to be the undisputed starter going forward.

mahomes beat von miller and boys without kelce hunt hill in denver rmaking throws smith wouldn't attempt let alone complete

7 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

Transition tag cousins. Let the broncos work out the deal and match it. Then trade him to Broncos for a 2nd round pick.

BruceAllenIsFootballGenius

• Cheerleader
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  •  
  • 6 posts

Dear Sir (s), 

Please exit the building at the nearest fire escape, move to the safe area already agreed upon and await further instruction. Do not take your company issued devices with you, including but not limited to phones, laptops, ipads, two way radios, etc. A Staff member will be there shortly to assist you. Your dreaming if you think the Bronco's and Cousins are down for that. 

This is not a test, this is a joke, like Bruce Allen's handling of the Redskins. 

Archived