Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

12 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Ok, a lot of the misinformation touted as fact by those bashing this trade is getting on my nerves after listening to callers on sports talk radio today.

First off, Smith signed an extension not a new contract so he will be making the 17 million he was scheduled to make from his previous deal.

Not only will we have waaayyy more cap room than some seem to think, it will pale in comparison to the cap number of Kirk's eventual deal. 

Also, the other guys some are saying they would have rather had under center instead of Smith (save for Colt, obviously) would have commanded around the same salary since they would have signed new deals in the current QB market. I'm sorry but you can't tell me Alex Smith at 17 mil isn't a better value than Bridgewater, Keenum, or Bradford at 15-18 mil. 

Not only that, but as has been repeated but continuously ignored is the fact that the contract details are yet to be known for the extension. I suspect it will be team friendly, with the majority of the total guarantees only in the event of injury or if he is on the roster by x-date in the 3rd or 4th year of the deal. Effectively making it a 2 year deal perfect for grooming a young QB under. 

And you'd be hard pressed to tell me there is/was a better option out there to tutor a young QB than Smith, and one that fits Grudens system better than Smith as well.

But keep getting hung up on Fuller being part of the deal. There were SIX teams interested in Smith with the original asking price being a 2nd rounder. We got him for a third and unfortunately had to give up a young player in order to beat the other teams bidding, but we did mitigate the loss somewhat by making it a player from one of our deepest position groups.

Uh yeah, I would've been fine with the second rounder. Its steep, but Id rather do that, than give up an elite nickel corner (which don't grow on trees) over someone you hope might pan out (which is always the case with picks). So I will continue to be hung up on him being part of the deal

17 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

But keep getting hung up on Fuller being part of the deal. There were SIX teams interested in Smith with the original asking price being a 2nd rounder. We got him for a third and unfortunately had to give up a young player in order to beat the other teams bidding, but we did mitigate the loss somewhat by making it a player from one of our deepest position groups.

Except now that "deepest position group is not deep at all - maybe not even serviceable. Fuller and Breeland out does not bode well.   Is Alex Smith going to be appreciably better than Cousins?  I'll bet against it - and I'm one of those perfectly happy to let Kirk walk.  

If you're the FO and you're ok with letting Kirk walk than you essentially should admit you're in a rebuild.  And when you do that the 1st rule of thumb is to get value for older players - not younger players hitting their prime.

We're going to be in QB hell IMO in 1-2 seasons with this deal anyway, better to rip the bandaid off and start looking for draft options now.  Take 1 every year in the draft if you have to - just don't be trading picks and young talent to acquire a pricey stop-gap.  Let one of the other 5 teams grab him - what was the real harm to that?  Our Superbowl chances?  Or B Allen and Danny boy's refusal to ever let a real long term plan develop. 

On top of which, and I don't think this is mentioned enough Fuller is exactly the type of straw on the back that breaks the lockeroom.  Again I was ok with letting Kirk go, that was going to be hard enough.  But to let a 2nd homegrown player go - one who had performed well for the team - I mean holy **** does that send the wrong message.  Draft pick a rd higher wouldve been way better. Although still stupid. 

15 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

+/- Kirk is going to sign a huge mega big deal. Smith has a pretty decent cap number himself. Which big time FA (in cap numbers) have we brought in after Josh Norman? Also we might want to use part of the cap to sign current of our own guys. Think a Brown, maybe extent Preston Smith if they really like him. 

So I think we will have a huge outgoing FA in Kirk. I don't see us breaking the bank on a FA target because that doesn't look to be the current FO style. We are more on the cheap side. 

So I looked at all the info. Thought about how this off-season could develop and came to the conclusion that there is a good posibilitie that we receive a 3th or 4th rounder in 2019. That is my personal view of the situation. You can disagree with that, no problems. 

The compensation picks aren't based off of salary of player, it's purely based off how many FA's you lost compared to how many you signed, THEN you look at the value if that number is tied. In this circumstance the Redskins are guaranteed to lose Cousins. So breaking the bank has nothing to do with it, they'd need to lose Breeland, Cousins, Brown, etc and then they'd need to not sign more players than they lost to even get 1 pick. It's not a good strategy in our position. The Redskins need a corner, safety, running back, left guard, center, wide receiver, defensive line, possible MLB, etc.

I don't have a ton of beef with the trade per se. Smith for Fuller is ok by me. The root issue is that were in a position where we had to make a move to bring in a quality QB. The loss of Fuller is additional fallout from the gamble we made on not signing cousins two years ago. We gambled, lost, and the cost of that mistake is more than just not having Cousins. It's loosing Cousins plus having to trade away a piece to get someone decent.  Or roll with Colt. Either way, the root issue is that we were in this position to begin with.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Casserly talking on 106.7 said most GM's had Fabian Moreau rated higher than Fuller.  I really liked Fuller but maybe they can develop Moreau this year like they did Fuller last year.

Let's hope so.

I don't like losing Fuller, but if Moreau is as good as what we heard he can be, it might be alright. 

Can we get one of the browns first round picks for Kirk..we give them Kirk and next year's first round pick.. pick best defensive player with that pick than an o lineman at 13 but only if it's the numro uno guy in the draft..maybe receiver..than buy leveon bell and Jarvis Landry?..no?..well at least #BruceAllendrinksCoorslightandsodoi and I agree with it..haha

The other thing to factor in here is Cousins saying he won't talk to Redskins until March. At face value it is a simple statement about testing Free Agency.

IF (and it is a big IF) the Redskins had told him they're not willing to let him go for nothing and they will franchise tag him if they have to, then this is Kirk trying to apply some pressure to that by calling their bluff using clever wording so as to do it subtly. If Kirk thinks we're serious about it and he is desperate to get out of dodge, then it's entirely possible that he'd agree to a tag and trade to avoid the franchise tag scenario.

Depends if you take the perspective of he wanted to be here or he wanted to leave I guess, but the timing of the Smith trade has definitely raised a lot of eyebrows. Maybe something is up, maybe we were just really aggressive in nailing our colours to the mast of Alex Smith's ship - we'll see soon enough,

2 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

If you're the FO and you're ok with letting Kirk walk than you essentially should admit you're in a rebuild.  And when you do that the 1st rule of thumb is to get value for older players - not younger players hitting their prime.

Wait what? Am I really the only one that knows that Alex Smith is 33 years old and is younger then

Aaron Rodgers

Jay Cutler

Ben Roethlisberger 

Philip Rivers

Eli Manning

Josh McCown

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

All of those guys are older. What makes signing Alex Smith say we are rebuilding? Age won’t even play a role with Alex Smith because he’s never had a cannon arm that’s made him great. He’s a cerebral QB and only will get better with time

2 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

We're going to be in QB hell IMO in 1-2 seasons with this deal anyway, 

How do you figure this? 

1 minute ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Can we get one of the browns first round picks for Kirk..we give them Kirk and next year's first round pick.. pick best defensive player with that pick than an o lineman at 13 but only if it's the numro uno guy in the draft..maybe receiver..than buy leveon bell and Jarvis Landry?..no?..well at least #BruceAllendrinksCoorslightandsodoi and I agree with it..haha

No the redskins will never trade a first round pick again. If somehow cousins could be traded he would be worth a 2nd rounder

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Uh yeah, I would've been fine with the second rounder. Its steep, but Id rather do that, than give up an elite nickel corner (which don't grow on trees) over someone you hope might pan out (which is always the case with picks). So I will continue to be hung up on him being part of the deal

By all accounts the deal doesnt get done without Fuller. KC turned down better draft picks from other teams to get him.

18 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Who in their right mind would take Cravens??? This isn't Madden where the A.I. GM accepts almost any trade you give him...When you have a Moreau lying in wait, lets see what the kid can do. He, just like Fuller was a day 1 talent who fell to us due to injury.. Breeland is gone, you can sign a FA CB to fill the gap in the meantime and draft someone in 2019..

I hate that we gave up fuller though. You'd think the 3rd was enough

Upon further reflection and normal ES over reaction. You're right. I'd of thought the 3rd was enough as well. Moreau has shown good potential in limited play. I think Breeland is gone. Moreau develops and eventually moves ahead of Dunbar. But I think Cravens still has a chance in the league. KC has veteran leadership in Peters and Berry. Not a bad spot for a talented kid in need of a fresh start. I can't see the Skinz locker room vibing w/ him. If Nicholson can stay healthy that leaves Swearinger down in the box where he excels. I don't see where Craven fits even if they brought him back.

1 minute ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

No the redskins will never trade a first round pick again. If somehow cousins could be traded he would be worth a 2nd rounder

NO idea what your are saying here? 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

You can never have enough quality DBs, especially cornerbacks. Never.

I'm with others in saying i'd rather have given the 2nd and kept Fuller. I wouldn't even have to think twice about that.

~Bang

Browns outbid them, they had to up the ante. 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

You can never have enough quality DBs, especially cornerbacks. Never.

I'm with others in saying i'd rather have given the 2nd and kept Fuller. I wouldn't even have to think twice about that.

~Bang

That wasn't on the table though - Denver and CLE were both offering their 2nd round picks, which are higher than ours and Denver was ponying Aqib Talib into the deal. The reason we won out was because of all the reasons we're mad about losing Fuller, young, cheap, huge upside etc. Chiefs can't afford Talib but they could have taken the second on it's own from Denver or CLE and either offer would have beaten our second. It's not about the price we would have wanted, it's the price we had to pay. Nobody likes it, but it is what it is. You don't get Smith without putting Fuller into the deal.

11 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Wait what? Am I really the only one that knows that Alex Smith is 33 years old and is younger then

Aaron Rodgers

Jay Cutler

Ben Roethlisberger 

Philip Rivers

Eli Manning

Josh McCown

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

All of those guys are older. What makes signing Alex Smith say we are rebuilding? Age won’t even play a role with Alex Smith because he’s never had a cannon arm that’s made him great. He’s a cerebral QB and only will get better with time

A big part of Smith's game is using his legs.  Most of his success in KC has been in RPO situations. Option style running doesn't age well ussually. 

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Is this guy implying something else is going to happen here?

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:
I think he is. 

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

His AVI changed from Bruce Allen's Booze bottle to HTTR.

He also tweeted this afew hours ago.

If an Alex trade can go down yesterday, a Kirk trade can go down today or in the very near future.

7 replies2 retweets10 likes

FYI - He's also the guy that impersonated JSteelz for awhile & got busted plagiarizing some of my posts.  Just saying...

4 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Maybe something is up, maybe we were just really aggressive in nailing our colours to the mast of Alex Smith's ship - we'll see soon enough,

The right thing for the team to do was to make a decision on what they were willing to pay Cousins and once they figured out it was too much to move on. They screwed this up so bad waiting to see if Kirk was good that they lost him when he was affordable 

I think based on the comments that Kirk was making this week the team knew that he was forcing free agency and they were letting him go. Us fans didn’t know that was happening but clearly the team was moving on

The market for Alex was heating up and if the team was going to make a move for him they needed to do it quick to stop the other teams from getting him. So they did what they had to do and it happened much earlier then anyone expected.

Why it leaked out last night weeks before it was official idk. That’s the odd thing to me

2 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Let's hope so.

I don't like losing Fuller, but if Moreau is as good as what we heard he can be, it might be alright. 

Yep ya know that's about all we got at this point..I said in a previous post that if Kirk Cousins is not the starting quarterback in 2018 I would hand in my fan card. And just exactly what I was afraid of happening has happened and if I were to stick to my word I would be completely done with this team.

But when you have put so much time and money and heart and so forth and so on how do you let go?..stop being a fan...I claim being a skins fan since birth..I already admitted to the mistake(I call it)made when I fell in love with the Packers from 94 to 96 but overall I'm a Redskins fan from birth and for the at least last 15-plus years I have not missed a single snap except for The Bengals and 49ers game that was in I believe 2007... for the last 10 years each Sunday my parents and my sister gather to watch the Redskins play and we are very very passionate I cheer and root on the Skins each game as if I was in the stadium... it's embedded in me..how do I let go?... Until death, it will never happen..I'll pick up other hobbies here and there but once September 1st hits it just starts running through my veins I don't know what to call it but it is something I cannot let go of or never will...HTTR for life!!

7 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

A big part of Smith's game is using his legs.  Most of his success in KC has been in RPO situations. Option style running doesn't age well ussually. 

His legs? Alex ran for only 355 yards last season and that was his third highest of his career. In fact his best three finishes were in the last five seasons he’s played. He hasn’t always been this rushing QB your making him out to be and was just added to his game recently. 

Archived