Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Just now, Mahomes said:

mahomes beat von miller and boys without kelce hunt hill in denver

I wouldn't use that as a feather in his cap. A whole lot of teams beat "von miller and boys" last year. Hell, we beat them this past season with half our team on IR. They were also manhandled by the Giants, Dolphins, and the Bengals.

11 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Kendal Fuller made $737,106 in 2017 ($2,405,000 guaranteed).  It takes me 3 1/2 years to make that. 

Wait... you make 200.000 dollar a year in the US? More then 16k per month. ? If that is normal in the US I'm booking my flight right now and gonna apply for a green card. 

Average here is around 3k in euros a month. 

Idaho here I come! 

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Wait... you make 200.000 dollar a year in the US? More then 16k per month. ? If that is normal in the US I'm booking my flight right now and gonna apply for a green card. 

Average here is around 3k in euros a month. 

He writes contracts for NFL players part time

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I think this has been confirmed already. We are adding 4 years to his current deal? By the way. After Smith's 17 mill that leaves us with roughly 44 mill in cap space. Figure 5 mill for rookies and that leaves you with 39 mill to play with in free agency. Not bad in all honesty.

Pretty sure that’s nowhere near correct.  

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Browns and Broncos chased Smith as their #1 target, both knew we were in the mix. Going to be interesting seeing where Cousins ends up and how much cash he lifts.

That says alot about his price. 

2 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

He writes contracts for NFL players

Im an architect actually and my point was that I feel players are very well compensated - you felt they aren't compensated well.  

No one forces any player to sign a contract allowing a team to trade them.

A member of the armed forces for example is not nearly as well compensated and are moved around at will by those in charge.  You have an issue with players being traded without being asked if its "ok" first... I guess I don't see the injustice.

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I wouldn't use that as a feather in his cap. A whole lot of teams beat "von miller and boys" last year. Hell, we beat them this past season with half our team on IR. They were also manhandled by the Giants, Dolphins, and the Bengals.

All I can say it's like the woman you divorced gets remarried. No more alimony she's your problem now I am ecstatic. I am full on chiefs homer after 50 years of being a cynical because chiefs fan.. Think about this smith was the 5th thats right the 5th ex sf qb kc got. 5 times and it didn't work with montana. That's why many chief's fans were never going to back alex.

3 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Okay what's that got to do with trading a pick as well. I know why they traded him, but he was still the best CB in every league. Only a stupid organization would also get suckered into also trading a pick.

Considering Portis became the 2nd leading rusher in Redskins history, that trade turned out good for both teams. 

Im an architect actually and my point was that I feel players are very well compensated - you felt they aren't compensated well.  

A member of the armed forces for example is not nearly as well compensated and are moved around at will by those in charge.  You have an issue with players being traded without being asked if its "ok" first... I guess I don't see the injustice.

It was a joke ffs. :)

I think sportsmen and women and the military are slightly different concepts.

I never said they weren't compensated well - I said some were not and they generally have short careers. A player might tear his ACL/MCL on day one and may never play again. It's just luck.

I would like everybody to have a say in where they work, whatever they do. It's not too draconian. Happy people tend to work better as well. 

I know nobody forces them to do it. I think less and less will be doing it due to the potential medical reasons. I think the NFL will change anyway so maybe the idea of contracts like that will change as well.

5 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

The Redskins will have a better record than the Chiefs and cousins new team. What are you going to be saying then?

I'll have whatever you're smoking?

I'm actually fine with this, though I'm not happy with giving up Fuller. Cousins was leaving and the Skins knew it, so we made an aggressive move to beat other teams to the punch. Smith should fit well with Gruden and his system and as long as we get healthy and add a few pieces, I'm confident we will have a potent offense. I don't compare this to Reid finessing us in the McNabb trade at all. McNabb was fat and done and Reid knew it, so he traded him to a divisional foe with a head coach in Mike Shanahan that thought he can win with anybody playing QB. Smith is playing at the top of his game and isn't close to washed up like McNabb was when he got here. Smith coming here kind of reminds me of Rich Gannon in Oakland with Jon Gruden- a solid veteran that is smart with the ball, is mobile and is coming here with a chip on his shoulder. And I don't think that it's a stretch to say that under Jay's offense- that was very instrumental in putting Andy Dalton's and Kirk Cousins' careers on the map- that Smith's best years are in front of him, just as Gannon's were when he got to Oakland under Jon.

We may very well suck for Smith's time here and this might not end well. But I feel strongly that if we suck, it's going to be much more the fault of Greg Manusky's defense and big mouths like DJ Swearinger than it will be Gruden's offense and Alex Smith's.

11 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

What does compensated fairly mean? If the company is bringing in billions when the players are the driving force behind that, maybe it's not so fair. IMO, fair relative term and I don't think comparing athletes to the average day job is a good comparison. 

Your division is way tougher than the afc west. You could have a better team and be 2 games worse. Phil>oak dall>sd den nyg a wash.

Don't know or care about where cousins goes but chiefs will have a better record because your division is better. Oakland is way overrated nobody even close to philly that kc has in division.

14 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Ah good choice! I almost choose that when I went to college but chose marketing instead. More creative and strategic freedom. 

What kind of buildings? 

O wait I need to stay on topic. Let me add this to it. What do you think of Redskins using cap space to bring in D help. Like a slot corner. ;)

4 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

What does compensated fairly mean? If the company is bringing in billions when the players are the driving force behind that, maybe it's not so fair. IMO, fair relative term and I don't think comparing athletes to the average day job is a good comparison. 

College football... ??????

33 minutes ago, Mahomes said:

RB - Kareem Hunt > Rob Kelley
WR - Tyreek Hill > Josh Doctson
WR - Chris Conley = Jamison Crowder
WR - Albert Wilson > Ryan Grant
TE - Travis Kelce > Jordan Reed

LT - Eric Fisher < Trent Williams
LG - Bryan Witzmann = Arie Kouandj
OC - Mitch Morse > Chase Roullier
RG - LDT = Brandon Scherff
RT - Mitchell Schwartz > Morgan Moses

Good luck alex

Come on man. Conley is equal Crowder? I realize he's a physical freak, much like Hill, but he hasn't produced squat. Crowder and Conley are both '15's. 

Crowder: 192 catches in 3 years

Conley: 72 catches in 3 years

Crowder: 2240 yards in 3 years

Conley: 904 yards in 3 years

Crowder: 12 Touchdowns in 3 years

Conley: 1 Touchdown in 3 years

LDT= to Scherrf? Please

I don't know enough about the Chiefs RT, Center and Left Guard so i won't speak to that. 

In terms of the rest of the talent, of course I'd take the Chiefs.

For the record I really like Mahomes, and would gladly take him w/o a second thought over Smith and over Cousins based on salary. You won the trade by miles, I seriously view it as a potential top 5 worst trade of the decade three years from now if Fuller ends up as good as some think, continually producing as he did in '17, but there's no need to rub salt in the wound by making ridiclous comparisons that aren't even remotely accurate with guys like Conley and LDT.  

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Come on man. Conley is equal Crowder? I realize he's a physical freak, much like Hill, but he hasn't produced squat. Crowder and Conley are both '15's. 

Crowder: 192 catches in 3 years

Conley: 72 catches in 3 years

Crowder: 2240 yards in 3 years

Conley: 904 yards in 3 years

Crowder: 12 Touchdowns in 3 years

Conley: 1 Touchdown in 3 years

LDT= to Scherrf? Please

I don't know enough about the Chiefs RT, Center and Left Guard so i won't speak to that. 

In terms of the rest of the talent, of course I'd take the Chiefs.

For the record I really like Mahomes, and would gladly take him w/o a second thought over Smith and over Cousins based on salary. You won the trade by miles, I seriously view it as a potential top 5 worst trade of the decade three years from now if Fuller ends up as good as some think, continually producing as he did in '17, but there's no need to rub salt in the wound by making ridiclous comparisons that aren't even remotely accurate with guys like Conley and LDT.  

I concede to all your points but hunt kelce and hill is an explosive package that smith didnt utilize. Sorry if I offended. I am a syracuse guy and loved art monk if that means anything? And you make the best point your sb run is when qb is on rookie contract its a race against time. See seattle.

Wow, lots of FO bashing going on here.

My Reaction

Dislike

1. We traded Kendall Fuller. He is an upcoming player for our D. But if Fabian Moreau, Everett and others can hold the fort at nickel CB then that softens the blow;

2. Cousins. He is a good QB not elite nor special, home grown talent. The FO screwed this up 2 years ago and it has led to this.

3. 3rd round pick. Yeah I hate trading picks but we are addressing the most important position on the team.

1. Settled QB conundrum. Cousins is a humble guy but in the end he is asking too much for us to give ($34m tag), sorry no. If it was Brady or Brees maybe cause those guys can carry a team but we have seen that Cousins is a great game manager but falters against really good competition. Alex Smith is a similar QB or a step lower due to his age but at least he is much cheaper and allows us to address other positions like DT, ILB, FS, Oline, WR etc...

2. We can focus on BPA in the draft instead of focusing on QB prospects and we can look to take one later (Lauletta or Falk) as a project.

This does not vindicate Allen/McCloughan of their handling of Cousins 2 years ago, when they should have offered a reasonable contract and sign him up but tagged him 2 years in a row and now find it very costly to sign him long term. This move, (not signing Cousins and getting another vet QB) was expected (by me) but could have been avoided in the first place. 

Its a wait and see approach, we are not doomed yet (as some have suggested) nor I am quitting the team and fandom (as some have suggested) but wait and see before I applaud or condemn the move. My 2 cents on the matter.

Manuia.

11 minutes ago, Mahomes said:

Your division is way tougher than the afc west. You could have a better team and be 2 games worse. Phil>oak dall>sd den nyg a wash.

Don't know or care about where cousins goes but chiefs will have a better record because your division is better. Oakland is way overrated nobody even close to philly that kc has in division.

No mahomes has never played. He will struggle this season. Sorry no playoffs for chiefs next season. Redskins however time will tell.

2 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Well then we disagree.. The NFL is a business like any.  Players are employees.

Apple is making billions and Im sure the CEOs, share holders etc make more than employees yet they are the driving force behind it.  If you don't want to compare it then don't... I think its a business and can be compared.  I think NFL players are VERY well compensated and paid a VERY fair amount for what they do.  How many other athletes in this world are at the same risk of injury in other sports yet not compensated even close to the same amount.  

NFL players are what make the NFL yet there is a guy waiting to take the spot of any player on any team given the chance... because... they are compensated VERY WELL.  If the players don't feel they are being compensated fairly they don't have to play... they can strike which has happened in the past.  They can go sell cars.  They can make a choice.   I realize the owners are making billions but Im not going to feel bad for guys playing a game getting paid millions while men/women in uniform, while teachers etc. etc. scrape by.

Archived