Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

EChiefs had to go into New England who was hoisting it’s newly received Super Bowl Championship banner that night.

Given the same team would you rather start Kirk in that game or Alex Smith?

You definitely want Alex.  The guy wouldn't throw an INT if it wasn't clear he would complete it.

So if you look in Skins history (ignore KC)... what QB might smith most remind us of?

Mark Brunell
Trent Green

Could Alex Smith be the return of Trent Green? (man I'm still hurting over losing that guy.)

4 things I thought of they may or may not have already been posted here.  First...Alex Smith costs the Redskins only $17 million for 2018 since he is playing on an existing contract.  Second....no one really knows what the extension looks like until after March 14.  It could very well be another one of those inflated number bogus contracts we have seen in the past.  Third...who released the information on the contract extension?  This is important because it may have come from Allen as a petty parting shot at Cousins since Allen is a petty man.  Fourth...I am happy for Cousins to finally be free to move to another team and by looking at some of the possible suitors, Cousins could end up in 3 places that could contend for a Super Bowl immediately...Denver, Minnesota, and Jacksonville.  Because of how the Redskins FO has treated past players and employees, I have gravitated towards the 49ers and whomever Cousins ends up with as my new teams.  The Redskins are officially dead to me now.

2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

You definitely want Alex.  The guy wouldn't throw an INT if it wasn't clear he would complete it.

Haha. He did throw the least amount of picks in the league for QBs throwing more then 3500 yards last year which I like. 

I’ve been making a case for Smith here for weeks. Some out there see him as an upgrade over Kirk. We won’t know how this works out for years but given the choices I think they made the right call here. 

Losing Fuller sucks, sucked and wish he wasn’t part of this deal. I am excited and think Smith with Jay will make a lot of us fans very happy this year.

3 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

Alex Smith absolutely will work harder than anyone in your building, he legitimately cares about winning and will be great in the community.  But none of that matter when it comes to winning in the playoffs.  He just hasn't shown that he is good enough to do it.  I dont wish him any ill will by leaving.  Im just glad the chiefs have a QB with upside that is higher than what Smith provided.

Well you know I really turned around on Cousin's this past year and part of it was how the D let him down when he played really well only to lose in the end because of his teammates not him.  So I saw improvement when I was one of the detractors.  But he has improved and I think he will be an upgrade big time for any team he goes to.

With that said towards the end of the year I was watching Smith a lot and his teammates dropped balls, and his D fluttered in the end and just got beat in the secondary and they were pretty flat at the end of year.

I think Cousin's did lose big games during his time here, and showed propensity for struggle in the RZ, and I do not always like his deep ball BUT he really gave them opportunities to win big games as I said this past year and the TEAM blew it and I am going to say the same thing about Smith.  I saw massive parallels this year.  I felt their teams let them down.  

Let's see what the FO's do to give each of these GOOD QB a chance to win.  Hell they did it in Philadelphia for Foles.  But you need a good CONSISTENT D.  You need a decent back. You need good receivers.   

I think both Cousin's and Smith could use a change of scenery but their respective FO's need to do their part and bring in the pieces.  No one is going to take a franchise and put it on their back and win. Just ask Tom Brady in his new series on FB. He recently said the same thing.  They are here he said because the D turned their **** around and started balling after the first 4-5 games.  

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Given the same team would you rather start Kirk in that game or Alex Smith?

On a team with no running game and mediocre receivers would you rather start Kirk and Alex Smith?  I would start Kirk because he's shown that he can make a team productive without a ton of help.  I haven't seen the same from Alex Smith. 

16 minutes ago, MahomesII said:

I came here to warn you guys about the ****ty alexsexuals that are coming your way to ruin every discussion you guys have.  Please register and talk ****.  It's what makes internet message boards entertaining.  

You.

Go here NOW.

Or you won't be here long since you've already broken several of them. 

24 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

For one I believe they were over $8 million OVER the cap before the trade.  Business side of things.

Please stop.

So you're telling me the Chiefs ditched their QB because they were temporarily over the cap?  That's absurd.

They ditched him because they like the guy behind him better.  And that guy is a rookie who played 1 game last year.

4 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

4 things I thought of they may or may not have already been posted here.  First...Alex Smith costs the Redskins only $17 million for 2018 since he is playing on an existing contract.  Second....no one really knows what the extension looks like until after March 14.  It could very well be another one of those inflated number bogus contracts we have seen in the past.  Third...who released the information on the contract extension?  This is important because it may have come from Allen as a petty parting shot at Cousins since Allen is a petty man.  Fourth...I am happy for Cousins to finally be free to move to another team and by looking at some of the possible suitors, Cousins could end up in 3 places that could contend for a Super Bowl immediately...Denver, Minnesota, and Jacksonville.  Because of how the Redskins FO has treated past players and employees, I have gravitated towards the 49ers and whomever Cousins ends up with as my new teams.  The Redskins are officially dead to me now.

Ok bye. I will be rooting against Cousins next year.

1 minute ago, PF Chang said:

Seems like the same people who acted like paying Cousins $25M/yr would kill the franchise are completely fine with paying Alex Smith $23.5M/yr. Maybe you could just admit you irrationally think Cousins sucks? 

Maybe we should all see what contract Cousins gets first.

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

On a team with no running game and mediocre receivers would you rather start Kirk and Alex Smith?  I would start Kirk because he's shown that he can make a team productive without a ton of help.  I haven't seen the same from Alex Smith. 

This is my final assessment. My beef has more to do with the extra stuff we gave up, but I am 0% convinced Alex Smith could've done better with this same team in 2017. Zero.

1 minute ago, PF Chang said:

Seems like the same people who acted like paying Cousins $25M/yr would kill the franchise are completely fine with paying Alex Smith $23.5M/yr. Maybe you could just admit you irrationally think Cousins sucks? 

Well to be devils advocate most of those people were talking about this year when Smith will only cost $17 million.  For future years we don't know how the cap hits will be structured but a reasonable guess is the cap is going to go up $10 million again next year so it should not be an issue.  Honestly I was fine with paying Kirk $25 million but I really don't think he would have signed here unless we tagged him and then he would have just signed the tag so you are talking $34 million as on the transition we would have lost him for nothing anyway. 

3 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Please stop.

So you're telling me the Chiefs ditched their QB because they were temporarily over the cap?  That's absurd.

They ditched him because they like the guy behind him better.  And that guy is a rookie who played 1 game last year.

I said "for one".

It's obviously a combination of both.  They set themselves up the previous year by drafting a QB knowing they would be in this exact situation.

I clearly just mentioned the business side of things.

6 minutes ago, TK said:

You.

Go here NOW.

Or you won't be here long since you've already broken several of them. 

Read through it.  Apologies.  Coming from a board that is barely moderated and basically anything goes.  Not here to troll or rock the boat.  didnt intend to filter evade.  either misspelled or it was our made up word for the Alex only fans on my home board.

30 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I'm with you in spirit, but comparing Smith to Grossman or Beck is grotesquely underselling Smith. Neither of them were anywhere close to the QB he has been. Not even a little bit. 

No, I was comparing the situation.  I do think, and hope Smith is better, money wise he better be.  This was just many of the things I contemplated last night. 

7 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I honestly thought kirk wanted 28-29 mil.  25 mil doesn't sound bad for kirk, frankly. When you cons

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

So now Kirk is getting a deal in Denver. ? Crazy talk.

Next thing you tell me is that Denver sends Talib and a second rounder to us for Kirk. 

If there is any talk at all going on with Denver it would have to be under some kind of tag and trade scenario otherwise it would be straight up tampering at this point.  It sounds too good to be true but this is the kind of thing that goes down at the Senior Bowl all the time which explains the timing and Elway was quoted last week saying he wanted to fix the QB position and whether through draft or trade he had the ammunition to do it and would be aggressive.  Would be something of a redemption for the front office if it turns out a deal with Denver was in place before the trigger was pulled on Smith.

55 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I take the opposite view.

Kirk Cousins was gone unless they forced him to stay at a cost of 34 million this season. That’s far too much to pay for any QB. The front office had to make a decision on what to do

The fact this was done and announced so soon shows direction from the front office. The fact that they choose Smith over the questionable free agents out there in hopes of low balling them in price and leaving the third round compensatory pick in play shows intellegence.

Like I said before if they get the third round pick back next year they end up getting Alex Smith for Kendall Fuller. That’s a win for them. I don’t like Bruce and hope he is fired and gone but this was not a bad decision. 

Someone somewhere decided that Kirk wasn’t a QB they believed in and they didn’t want to be strapped to. He was gone in March regardless unless the team massively overpaid for him like they did the past two seasons. Thing about Kirk is he’s been working with some of the absolute best QB minds in the NFL today. He learned from Jay, from McVay, and the Shanahans. So I don’t think he is a system QB. But he maybe

I like whoever made the decision he wasn’t worth signing probably saw all of the losses to the Giants and chokes and thought he was good for 8 wins a year. And Alex Smith is worth 8 win a year too except with Smith they now have a bridge QB who won’t make noise when they draft a new QB like Kirk would. Until Kirk puts on tape signature wins and starts making regular playoff appearances these two Alex and Kirk are on the same level and some NFL executives believe that Alex Smith is an upgrade from Kirk.

I'm not saying Cousins was not going to leave, but that's an IF until we heard it from his mouth.

34 mil is too much for any quarterback, and Cousins knew he wasn't going to get that anywhere.

The fact that is was done soon, yes shows direction. But then signing him to maybe 3 mil per year less than the contract Cousins should/would get, while also giving up a 3rd round pick AND the best slot corner in the league(who is still on his rookie contract mind you), throws the savings out the window.

That leads me to believe it was not about the money for the FO and they were probably just fed up with Cousins.

Again, speaking of getting a 3rd round comp pick is a big IF.

For now, it is a sign they wanted to move on, and did... but they moved on for a net loss. Seems petty to me

Archived