Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

17 minutes ago, UKskins said:

So, if this Kirk being close to Denver deal stuff (being floated by Cowherd) is true, you have to assume tag and trade is in play here (or LTD and trade on Denver's terms). If that's true, it means that the FO could massively redeem themselves. If that is the case, Kirk wanted to go to Denver, we threatened to franchise unless we made a deal and got something back for him, then the FO have actually played this situation out incredibly well (contingent of course on the compensation from Denver being a 3rd or better). If that's the case then although it blows to lose Fuller, then I'm happy with the way the situation has panned out overall. 

I don't think our front office is smart enough to even think about this, let alone pull it off!

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know why Kirk would agree to this. He is going to be a free agent regardless at this point. There is no chance we tag him because we cant afford to lose the salary cap space. Kirk will leave for Denver and we will get the 3rd round comp pick. That is the only scenario I see playing out at this point.

But Denver can't trade or talk to Kirk if he is not owned by us. That would be tempering (although you could make the point that losing a first round pick for that is okay). So to be able to sign Kirk they need us to sign him first. 

15 minutes ago, TK said:

I'm getting a little bit more info now.

Denver offered KC 2nd & Talib

Browns had a ****load of picks to offer.

Skins offered up Fuller-he's younger & cheaper then Talib & KC still gets a starting CB.

What this implies is that boh Denver & Cleveland had Smith ranked higher then Cousins.

TK, can you confirm if Smith's cap figure in 18 will be 17m?. 

HTTR 

I don't like the fact that Fuller was traded, but the fact that he found out via social media is being overblown.

This seems to happen quite often. Ideally it wouldn't happen, but it's becoming so regular, I wouldn't crush the team over it.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@NoCalMike I agree with what you are saying but come to a different conclusion. If we aren’t contenders right away why give up a third round pick, young cb with talent, and a lot of gtd money for an old used up qb with no upside?

I would say because the team is not a 3-4 win dumpster fire.  Let's say Alex Smith is a slight downgrade from Cousins (No means is there a consensus on this, but for sake of this conversation) however as a result of this you now have more resources to make the team a playoff contender. (note: playoff contender not SB).  

I think the team is ready right now to crawl, possibly walk, but not jog, run, or sprint. 

I guess think of it like this.  Alex Smith vs. Cousins pretty much has the team in the same spot (minus a good corner) but with more resources to go out and make improvements to the team that will have lasting effects for multiple seasons to come (in theory).

Now, this is the 'Skins front office, so no guarantee they don't screw it all up, but I think it is a little misguided and hyperbolic of people to suggest this trade is somehow worthy of not being a fan of the team anymore and/or hoping they fail as a result of it. 

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

TK, can you confirm if Smith's cap figure in 18 will be 17m?. 

HTTR 

I think this has been confirmed already. We are adding 4 years to his current deal? By the way. After Smith's 17 mill that leaves us with roughly 44 mill in cap space. Figure 5 mill for rookies and that leaves you with 39 mill to play with in free agency. Not bad in all honesty.

Honestly, I would've been happier if we traded Josh Norman rather than Kendall Fuller.  KF was one of the guys I was excited about heading into the offseason, thought he would take Breeland's spot and give us a great tandem.  Maybe Norman is better, but I was more excited about Fuller's future here.  Oh well.  I'm not disappointed with this transaction but not thrilled with it either.  I actually think it's a pretty good move, I'd take it over a Case Keenum or Bridgewater deal.  We basically got a similar QB that wants to be here without busting our entire nut.

There is no way the Skins tag and trade Kirk.  The only leverage they had was that they could match an offer.  The Skins have no ability to stop a bidding war for Kirk, they could only match an offer.  Does anyone expect the Broncos to give up picks because they will be afraid that the Skins would match a deal?

If the Skins franchise tagged Cousins, I bet they would end up having to give up picks to send Kirk anywhere, like the Browns taking on Oswiler's contract for a 2nd round pick.  No one thinks he is worth 34 mil for one year.

Tagging Kirk would be the only way they could make this saga worse for themselves

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think this has been confirmed already. We are adding 4 years to his current deal? By the way. After Smith's 17 mill that leaves us with roughly 44 mill in cap space. Figure 5 mill for rookies and that leaves you with 39 mill to play with in free agency. Not bad in all honesty.

Need to leave some contingency money for IR replacements etc, but yeah, certainly not a bad spot.

1 minute ago, MahomesII said:

Mine is a fan owned and controlled board.  Most everyone is an asshole to everyone.  We are loosely moderated on purpose, it makes for a more interesting board in my opinion.  We can have really great football talk, but it's been sorta crummy lately with the way the playoffs went this year.  It's a pretty happy place today though. 

I've never visited your board, so the **** hole comment was more a generalization of some other teams boards I've been to in years past.  There are some really bad ones out there.  And the smack talk, going at it with people, insults, etc. don't bother me by any means.  But I've literally been cursed out, etc. for asking a legit question on a few boards in regards to their team and because my screen name was Redskins related, had mods jump in for no reason. 

I've got to say that here, the mods do a great job of making sure to keep it civil, while allowing it to be fun, as long as the rules are obeyed. 

Just now, Hail4Life said:

Honestly, I would've been happier if we traded Josh Norman rather than Kendall Fuller.  KF was one of the guys I was excited about heading into the offseason, thought he would take Breeland's spot and give us a great tandem.  Maybe Norman is better, but I was more excited about Fuller's future here.  Oh well.  I'm not disappointed with this transaction but not thrilled with it either.  I actually think it's a pretty good move, I'd take it over a Case Keenum or Bridgewater deal.  We basically got a similar QB that wants to be here without busting our entire nut.

I agree. Norman is coming up to 30 and is expensive. I'd take that hit because that would give us more cap flexibility etc - he's good but he's only going downhill from here whereas Fuller has huge upside. Kansas are right on the cap even after trading Smith though so they couldn't have afforded to take Norman's contract on.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I've never visited your board, so the **** hole comment was more a generalization of some other teams boards I've been to in years past.  There are some really bad ones out there.  And the smack talk, going at it with people, insults, etc. don't bother me by any means.  But I've literally been cursed out, etc. for asking a legit question on a few boards in regards to their team and because my screen name was Redskins related, had mods jump in for no reason. 

I've got to say that here, the mods do a great job of making sure to keep it civil, while allowing it to be fun, as long as the rules are obeyed. 

You could have a redskins related name on my board and we would absolutely raz you for it, and it may seem mean, but there is a lexicon used on the site that from an outside perspective seems really harsh, but its meant playfully.  If an opposing team fan sticks it out long enough, they are welcomed,(mostly)

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If we just rolled with Colt and drafted a QB ... we would have:

- 61M in cap space,

- Young cheap promising DB in Fuller,

- Wouldnt have to eat massive amounts of dead money after the 2019 season when Alex is not starter quality anymore.  

edit -- oh and lol, how could i forget, a 3rd round draft pick. hahahaha .... yeah not bad .. if you're the chiefs or eagles, giants or boys. 

Just now, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

If we just rolled with Colt and drafted a QB ... we would have:

- 61M in cap space,

- Young cheap promising DB in Fuller,

- Wouldnt have to eat massive amounts of dead money after the 2019 season when Alex is not starter quality anymore.  

You forgot to mention that we would be screwed at QB :)

22 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

He may agree to it if Denver is his preferred location and he has some reason to believe Denver may move on to another target rather than wait and take the risk, however slim, that he is not available in free agency.  Denver has trade ammunition and veterans it needs to move and might prefer to lock up their QB situation before FA begins.

I admit it seems like a long shot but there are valid reasons why it might happen.  I do doubt it though because Kirk and his agent have spoken so often of wanting to know what FA would be like for him that I think even if Denver is his preferred choice he would rather risk them moving on than limit his options at this stage. 

With Smith off the table, their options are next to nil.  It's basically Cousins or the draft.  

15 hours ago, ZRagone said:

Yeah! Because I'd much rather pay $8 mil to an expensive aging CB and other player as opposed to the cheap rookie deal CB we just gave up and the cheap 3rd round pick that it took to get this "cheaper" QB. 

We gave up two cheap potential starting pieces to get a cheaper QB and two expensive potential starting pieces. 

And Smith is barely cheaper, if at all.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

You forgot to mention that we would be screwed at QB :)

Well, yes we would be screwed this upcoming year. But I dont think we are contenders this year anyway. I think we will be screwed in 2 years when Alex is not a serviceable starter anymore but we have a good chunk of guaranteed money committed to him. 

8 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Well, yes we would be screwed this upcoming year. But I dont think we are contenders this year anyway. I think we will be screwed in 2 years when Alex is not a serviceable starter anymore but we have a good chunk of guaranteed money committed to him. 

He may get benched mid season this coming year. 

33 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But Denver can't trade or talk to Kirk if he is not owned by us. That would be tempering (although you could make the point that losing a first round pick for that is okay). So to be able to sign Kirk they need us to sign him first. 

Look, everyone is tampering with everyone right now. And nothing can officially happen until March 14.

Kirk is not under contract. He can still be tagged so the team has some control. And no one is supposed to be talking to anyone right now. But he can be signed 1 minute after the free agency period starts on March 14, assuming the team does not tag him on February 20, which they won't.

This is what it looks like is going to happen.

The team will decline to tag him, which will make him a UFA come March 14th.

He'll start "officially" talking to teams on March 12th, when he's permitted to do so.

On March 14th or 15th, I think he's going to sign with Denver at a eyeball-bursting number.

On March 14th, Alex Smith will officially become a Redskin.

And so it goes, this thing of ours.

Archived