Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Did we do a membership drive and no one told me?

Did we learn a lesson from the geniuses over at the Pickle Party and place ES business cards in fine dining establishments all over the metro area?

Because the main question I've asked on this thread is, "Who the hell is that guy?"

Chiefs fans are bringing their Mahomes vs. Alex Smith sewage onto ES because everyone there is already bored to death with it. Now they're peddling their opinions as "Alex Smith Experts".

Haven't read all the pages of this thread, and it probably wouldn't be healthy to, but I think some of you all are getting a little too worked up over this.  I'm not thrilled but it isn't the end of the world.  At least the Cousins drama is over.  I guess that is a silver lining.  Maybe I have just become slightly apathetic overall.

Per:Pft

After word surfaced that the Chiefs will trade (as of March 14) quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, some suggested that Washington will now trade quarterback Kirk Cousins. Washington won’t, because Washington as a practical matter can’t.

Technically, Washington can trade Cousins. To do that, however, Washington would have to have Cousins under contract when the window for trades reopens, on March 14. So Cousins would have to sign a new contract (not happening) or Washington would have to apply the franchise tag (at more than $34 million for 2018) or the transition tag (at more than $28 million) and Cousins would have to sign it. Then, Washington could trade Cousins to another team that would give Cousins a long-term deal replacing the one-year guarantee under the franchise or transition tag.

As a source with knowledge of the situation explained it to PFT, those scenarios that would allow Washington to trade Cousins provide zero benefit to Cousins. Indeed, why would he cooperate with Washington to allow Washington to get value for Cousins, when he merely needs to do nothing and become an unrestricted free agent? Washington would be stupid (even by Washington standards) to tag him after striking a tentative deal to trade for Alex Smith, and Cousins would gain nothing by going along with any such approach.

If a team were to give up draft picks or players for Cousins, that team necessarily would pay Cousins less than it would pay him if nothing of value had to be surrendered. Also, Cousins should want to be able to go to a new team that preserves all picks and players, so that he’ll have maximum help around him.

For all those reasons, a trade of Cousins won’t be happening. He’ll instead go wherever he chooses on or after March 14, truly unrestricted by the team that drafted him in the fourth round a full six years ago.

Guys, a trade just won't happen. if they tag him sure a trade can happen, but here's what needs to happen: 

1 - No crazy deals are offered, so the Skins can match (which with the QB needy teams having cap space we sorta know won't be the case)

2 - In that deal they can't have a large signing bonus, otherwise it will turn into a lot of dead cap space for the Skins (with matching someone else's offer they have no control over this portion of the pay). 

3 - You need a trade partner that now wants that deal, but also is willing to give up assets in the process. 

If the Skins either franchise or transition tag him (and get stuck with matching a contract) they are cap screwed. With whatever the Alex Smith contract we may have to restructure deals or cut players just to afford the rookies. 

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Haven't read all the pages of this thread, and it probably wouldn't be healthy to, but I think some of you all are getting a little too worked up over this.  I'm not thrilled but it isn't the end of the world.  At least the Cousins drama is over.  I guess that is a silver lining.  Maybe I have just become slightly apathetic overall.

That's how I felt, until I found out that we gave up one of our best players in a rookie contract, and gave up a 3rd rounder. That's not good business, and that's why this stinks

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's how I felt, until I found out that we gave up one of our best players in a rookie contract, and gave up a 3rd rounder. That's not good business, and that's why this stinks

Meh.  Maybe it's just what I've come to expect.  Similar to how I've gotten with politics. 

It could certainly be worse.  We know that because we have seen us do it.

Ok, a lot of the misinformation touted as fact by those bashing this trade is getting on my nerves after listening to callers on sports talk radio today.

First off, Smith signed an extension not a new contract so he will be making the 17 million he was scheduled to make from his previous deal.

Not only will we have waaayyy more cap room than some seem to think, it will pale in comparison to the cap number of Kirk's eventual deal. 

Also, the other guys some are saying they would have rather had under center instead of Smith (save for Colt, obviously) would have commanded around the same salary since they would have signed new deals in the current QB market. I'm sorry but you can't tell me Alex Smith at 17 mil isn't a better value than Bridgewater, Keenum, or Bradford at 15-18 mil. 

Not only that, but as has been repeated but continuously ignored is the fact that the contract details are yet to be known for the extension. I suspect it will be team friendly, with the majority of the total guarantees only in the event of injury or if he is on the roster by x-date in the 3rd or 4th year of the deal. Effectively making it a 2 year deal perfect for grooming a young QB under. 

And you'd be hard pressed to tell me there is/was a better option out there to tutor a young QB than Smith, and one that fits Grudens system better than Smith as well.

But keep getting hung up on Fuller being part of the deal. There were SIX teams interested in Smith with the original asking price being a 2nd rounder. We got him for a third and unfortunately had to give up a young player in order to beat the other teams bidding, but we did mitigate the loss somewhat by making it a player from one of our deepest position groups.

My only thoughts left after this fiasco is about Fuller himself. Did he not have micro fracture surgery? What are the implications of that on his long term career? If anybody knows, it would be greatly appreciated. I still think I’d rather have No Kirk, No Smith, and keep our 3rd and Fuller, but that question has been buzzing in the back of my head all day and I haven’t heard anybody address it.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am curious. Does anyone know if we control his rights until the start of the league year? And if so can we even trade him while he is on the franchise tag?

We only control Kirk's rights if the Skins can reach a LTD or tag him. 

PFT did a nice little recap on the chances of trading him .

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am curious. Does anyone know if we control his rights until the start of the league year? And if so can we even trade him while he is on the franchise tag?

interesting question. Is it possible to trade him now, and another team applies the franchise/transition tag on him for 2018?

33 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Did we do a membership drive and no one told me?

Did we learn a lesson from the geniuses over at the Pickle Party and place ES business cards in fine dining establishments all over the metro area?

Because the main question I've asked on this thread is, "Who the hell is that guy?"

We are still friends though right? 

And this trade goes goes against all principles of SHF long term corporate/football planning 

23 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

Right now this day Alex Smith is a better NFL QB than Kirk Cousins. I don’t care about your incoming advanced algorithms. Alex Smith has won 10,12, and 11 games the last 3 seasons. Cousins won 7,8, and 9. Who has more playing time left? Cousins. Who would give your team a better chance to win next season?Smith

Is that you, greenie ??

Thanks, after seeing your avatar, it reminded me where I stashed my mandrax ...

4 minutes ago, BruceAllenIsFootballGenius said:

The only way a trade would work is if Cousins, Redskins and Broncos all agreed to follow through before the transition tag is placed. This would probably be too complicated for the Broncos front office.

It still seems possible.  We keep hearing media outlets talk about how this can't happen but the work around is a tag/sign/trade the opening of FA.  Also keep hearing well "Cousins wouldn't do that" but what if Skins told him they weren't letting him go, they'd tag him unless he agreed to a tag/sign/trade prior to the Smith thing going down?  Who knows but it is possible, just complicated.

19 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

For all those reasons, a trade of Cousins won’t be happening. He’ll instead go wherever he chooses on or after March 14, truly unrestricted by the team that drafted him in the fourth round a full six years ago.

Denver also want to dump Talib's contract.... we need a Cornerback.... Kirk probably doesn't want to risk Denver moving on and him ending up a Brown....Denver probably don't want to get involved in a bidding war and risk Kirk chasing the money and losing him. Not saying it will happen or it's even likely, but there are a few reasons that this could go down... 

For example, Kirk likes Denver, Denver likes Kirk. Denver can't afford Kirk and their other FAs with Talib on the books. Redskins like Talib and would take him.... That scenario would work for all parties and would be more favourable to Denver than picking him up in Free Agency... Kirk gets security of decent landing spot with enough money to be happy as Denver can pony up a bit more if they get rid of Talib (and they save another $1 mill through not accruing the dead cap from cutting him). In that scenario, Denver actively want a tag and trade so if Kirk is landing there, and we'd take Talib's contract on then this actually makes an awful lot of sense.

11 hours ago, purbeast said:

Who knows ... but we'll never know because the Redskins never even made contact with Cousins since the end of the season.

It would've made no difference if the Redskins had contacted Cousins.

Cousins said in a recent interview that he was NOT going to negotiate with the Redskins' front office until March.

The problem is, the franchise tag deadline is in March. That would be cutting negotiations a little close. It's clear that Cousins was trying to force a third franchise tag designation and collect almost $35 million. The Redskins weren't going to pay that.

So you could say that the Redskins saved almost $18 million for this year (if Smith's first year in Washington is at $17 million as we've been hearing).

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

No one wants to give credit to the FO for picking Fuller (mostly SM) and developing him into a trade-able asset that was used to close this deal. It sucks to loose him but some credit is due.

Same as the fourth round QB everyone loves but few are noticing and instead just want to bring up other past failures and act like this didn’t happen.

Ive said it before and will say it again, the fans have been burned by different things before - trading for an Andy Reid QB - and that doesn’t mean anything at all.

Successful people aren’t successful because they always got something right the first time. Successful people are those that get knocked down by failure and have the guts to get back up and try again. 

Our drafts the past few years minus the Doctson draft SM did have been good. If they found Fuller once they can do it again

Archived