Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Interesting numbers: Smith was signed for 17 mil for 2018. The new Redskins deal is for 4 years and 94 mil. Making the total of his Redskins deal 5 years/$111 mil.

The final offer we made to Cousins last offseason- 5 years/$110 mil.

Don't really think that means anything, but I found it interesting.

Also, the 71 mil in guarantees is the 17 mil he was owed for 2018 plus an additional 54 mil. Cousins was offered 53 mil in guarantees. 

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There is going to be no trade for Cousins.  We can all stop that nonsense.  

Whole thing is still fluid, but I'm thinking it doesn't happen either because Cousins really doesn't have a need to help the FO out.

9 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

What I meant by that was - by not committing to a real rebuild you're looking at exactly what we had under Kirk.  I'm not worried so much about his age but his ceiling.  We've seen it I think.  He;'s a super conservative gun shy QB - captain checkdown.  And that was with one of the league's best deep threats. How's he gonna do with this group of WR nothing?   He doesn't  elevate anyone.

And so if we ride this out with him to 2 or 3 more 6-8 win seasons we're back where we started only now having given up a draft pick and a quality young starter to continue the same old same old.   Not smart. 

I am OK with this as long as we are grooming a young guy to take his place. 

The more I think about it, the more I think that we might get Talib in a trade with the Broncos. The rumours, the timing, the willingness to part with Fuller...the pieces all tie in too nicely. It makes sense for literally everyone and is the only reason Cousins would do this kind of deal - it does Denver a favour. There's the incentive for him to sign on for this.

Much as I would hate to get older at CB and QB, Alex Smith and Aqib Talib is a markedly better combo than Cousins and Fuller if we really think we're close. It means we can afford to let Breeland walk and Moreau/Holsey/Dunbar are on slot duty with a really nasty tandem of Norman and Talib, not to mention Swearinger. We are really at that point only a decent WR, a really good (and I mean really good) RB and an ILB away from being a serious team. 

In this division, with Wentz and Dak, Talib and Norman are about as good an answer as we could make to that.

A non-exclusive franchise (tag) player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

It would be more than a favor.  I'd actually lose respect for him as a man to play nice and let his new team lose a draft pick to help out the Skins.

The Talib thing makes sense though only in the sense that they want to dump his salary.  If I'm the Skins I don't want any part of Talib at 11M making my starting corner budget 26M.

8 minutes ago, TK said:

Whole thing is still fluid, but I'm thinking it doesn't happen either because Cousins really doesn't have a need to help the FO out.

Well the only variable, since he's really played nice this whole time he apparently wanted out of town, is him being a hand shake gentlemen with a predetermined deal in place. That seems like Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

I don't really want to sift through this entire thread but did anyone mention the possibility that Smith's cap number for this year could be ridiculously low...like $5 million?  Working in round numbers, let's say they replaced his $17 million in 2018 with a $20 million signing bonus and a $1 million base.  With guaranteed salaries of $25 million in 2019 and 2020, you have $70 million in total guarantees.  The only money spread over the life of the contract would be the $20 million bonus at $4 million per year, leaving a 2018 cap number of $5 million.  Skins can walk after 2020 with only $8 million in dead cap.

It's been awhile...did I do this right?

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It would be more than a favor.  I'd actually lose respect for him as a man to play nice and let his new team lose a draft pick to help out the Skins.

The Talib thing makes sense though only in the sense that they want to dump his salary.  If I'm the Skins I don't want any part of Talib at 11M making my starting corner budget 26M.

I agree, I don't see any scenario with a draft pick after thinking it through, but Talib makes a lot of sense.

We have to have someone to play corner and Talib at 11mill is better than Bree at around 14mill+ (which is where I think he values himself - whether he can get anyone to pay that is a different question though) or a JAG getting beat all season because teams avoid throwing at Norman and punish us relentlessly on the other side.

And of course all this conjecture is contingent on Kirk wanting to be a Bronco over wanting to get the extra few million and suck with the Browns or Jets (which his recent comments seem to suggest he does, if we take him at his word)

25 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

What I meant by that was - by not committing to a real rebuild you're looking at exactly what we had under Kirk.  I'm not worried so much about his age but his ceiling.  We've seen it I think.  He;'s a super conservative gun shy QB - captain checkdown.  And that was with one of the league's best deep threats. How's he gonna do with this group of WR nothing?   He doesn't  elevate anyone.

And so if we ride this out with him to 2 or 3 more 6-8 win seasons we're back where we started only now having given up a draft pick and a quality young starter to continue the same old same old.   Not smart. 

Alex Smith is a bridge QB. We are likely competitive with him for the next few seasons. Will it result in a championship?

Unknown but I go back to the first game of the 2017 NFL season, would Kirk have beaten the Patriots and thrown for 4 TDs and near 400 yards in New England with the world watching? I would say hell no to that. But Alex did. So I’m not writing off Smith not winning here, he is a winner and Jay is a winner maybe it’s in the cards and we can’t see it yet. 

Anyway this teams a long ways away from that but it does have talent. Why rebuild and tear it down with the past few drafts we’ve had? All they need is to continue the course of drafting well.

The front office needs to continue building up a young team and that means adding a QB who can sit and learn like Kirk did. QBs who sit a season or two before playing have a helping hand in the development phase. Alex Smith is the bridge to that

8 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

A non-exclusive franchise (tag) player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Now if we claim that we are doing this, Kirk doesn't get a choice right???  People saying that he wont play nice and sign a tag for us. Well, if he doesn't sign it, then he will miss out on the 2018 season. Am I wrong here??  He will be forced to sign the tag if he wants to play this year, no other options for him at that point if we designate this tag to him??

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

MahomesII mentioned it a few pages ago, but Mahomes4Life shot it down a couple pages afterward.  

I guess we can't know for sure but certainly the consensus seems to be that he plays this year on his KC contract which is 17mill.

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Alex Smith is a bridge QB. We are likely competitive with him for the next few seasons. Will it result in a championship?

Unknown but I go back to the first game of the 2017 NFL season, would Kirk have beaten the Patriots and thrown for 4 TDs and near 400 yards in New England with the world watching? I would say hell no to that. But Alex did. So I’m not writing off Smith not winning here, he is a winner and Jay is a winner maybe it’s in the cards and we can’t see it yet. 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Now if we claim that we are doing this, Kirk doesn't get a choice right???  People saying that he wont play nice and sign a tag for us. Well, if he doesn't sign it, then he will miss out on the 2018 season. Am I wrong here??  He will be forced to sign the tag if he wants to play this year, no other options for him at that point if we designate this tag to him??

We do not have the option of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Unavailable after the 2nd consecutive tag as per Player Agreement.

The only options for Kirk were transition tag and exclusive. Entire reason the Skins did this deal

5 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

That’s correct. He either signs the tag and accepts the sign and trade OR he can be petty and not sign and have us be stuck with his salary for the year BUT then yes he sits for the year and pretty sure he wouldn’t get paid either since he refused to sign the tender. 

Three quick things:

1) I think too many people are being hung up on the "5 years" part of this contract. Make no mistake, Alex Smith is a bridge.  In all likelihood he is here 2-3 seasons, and a QB is drafted to be groomed.  Smith likely only sees the 4th & 5th season of his contract if he is willing to re-negotiate and/or the team is a legitimate SB contender by then and the coaching staff is not comfortable handing over the reigns to a rookie for that run.

2) Are we overrating the loss of Kendal Fuller?  I like the dude, we all like the dude. However most of the media seems to think you make the trade of a slot corner for a starting QB every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  This includes DC media.  I understand that national media probably isn't overly familiar with Fuller yet being a 2nd year player on a .500 team, but even the DC media doesn't seem to be too down on Fuller being the player included in the trade.

3) Does this mean this team will finally be able to beat the NYGs when they are mediocre? Cousins seems to be the one QB that defense can fluster, confuse, and make look bad no matter what condition their team is in. 

4 minutes ago, mrfixit28 said:

giphy.gif

We do not have the option of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Unavailable after the 2nd consecutive tag as per Player Agreement.

The only options for Kirk were transition tag and exclusive. Entire reason the Skins did this deal

Ok, well we could still apply the same concept to the transition tag. And if he doesn't sign it, he doesn't play or get paid this year.

28 minutes ago, TK said:

Cousins doesn't have to want to help anyone but himself. Cousins is 29 playing the long game, no chance he'd sit out 2018 just to not "help" the Redskins. He's under direct orders by his agent to sign any franchise tender offered to him as he'd be guaranteed $34,000,000 to play for us this season. He signs, and gets traded is to his benefit. Redskins can literally franchise Cousins and play him next year and not go through with the KC trade if they so wished, 0% chance Cousins sits himself and risk losing the $100+ million he'd make on his next deal.

2 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Ok, well we could still apply the same concept to the transition tag. And if he doesn't sign it, he doesn't play or get paid this year.

True. However there is no real compensation from transition tag. Not saying the Redskins dont have ANY leverage here.

They still have the leverage of about 4 weeks with a hungry team if Kirk and that team want to beat the market (only real way anyone can negotiate a deal with Cousins) to do a sign and trade. However, Cousins does have any real incentive to do any of that. He can wait a month and sign with whoever he chooses.

Anything is possible, but I dont see much of any Cousins compensation other than the 3rd rounder next year.

Well....and the general lack of incredibly costly turnovers

giphy.gif

I'll just go ahead and bad joke myself on that one.

Archived