Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Trump believes millions voted illegally, WH says -- but provides no proof (and other stories not supported by the facts advanced by the Trump administration)

PeterMP

Trump specifically mentions being registered in two states as a problem.

A bunch of people around him, cabinet and family have been determined to be double registered.

What happens if Trump actually tries to crack down double registration?  Does half his cabinet get criminal penalties?

Likely answer?  Nah, they'll drop the double registration aspect of it.

If you want to talk voter fraud, then it starts with voter suppression. A lot of the tactics to prevent eligible voters from getting to the ballot box to cast their votes.  In fact, I would say that is what this is really about (which I eluded to way earlier in the thread).  This is just another diversionary tactic to create a perception because if birtherism or "but those emails" or Benghazi etc etc etc has taught us anything, it's that creating perception regardless if it is factual is a winning strategy in this country.  

Just like 9/11 was slowly morphed into "We need to invade Iraq" just wait and watch as "3-5 million legal voters" will slowly morph into a justification for sweeping changes to the voting system itself. 

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If you want to talk voter fraud, then it starts with voter suppression. A lot of the tactics to prevent eligible voters from getting to the ballot box to cast their votes.  In fact, I would say that is what this is really about (which I eluded to way earlier in the thread).  This is just another diversionary tactic to create a perception because if birtherism or "but those emails" or Benghazi etc etc etc has taught us anything, it's that creating perception regardless if it is factual is a winning strategy in this country.  

Just like 9/11 was slowly morphed into "We need to invade Iraq" just wait and watch as "3-5 million legal voters" will slowly morph into a justification for sweeping changes to the voting system itself. 

It will make Voter ID laws look tame.

So now the daughter of the Bavarian golfer that Trump claims supposedly told him about "suspicious people voting" in Florida, is claiming her father had no such conversation with Trump at any time ever and he is completely making this up.

I ask in all seriousness; Is Trump mentally ill?

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So now the daughter of the Bavarian golfer that Trump claims supposedly told him about "suspicious people voting" in Florida, is claiming her father had no such conversation with Trump at any time ever and he is completely making this up.

I ask in all seriousness; Is Trump mentally ill?

Yes

I'm finding it hard not to buy into the narrative that everything Trumps accuses others of doing is something he (or people close to him) has done.  I wanna say Olberman detailed this?

I'd be curious to see a list of these things if anyone with a better memory and more time were so so inclined. :)

because they firmly believe it will result in less votes. Likely to come from certain groups of people. 

It helps that they get most of those votes, but I firmly believe they actually think it's bad because it will cause people to not be able to vote.

Same general argument for early voting stuff

They're not exactly looking for a compromise here

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honest question:

why doesnt the left give in on voter id laws and attach a requirement that eases ability to get an id?  Maybe x number of id places in every neighborhood with y hours.  Something like that.  Look bipartisan while undercutting the intents of the right.

If you have a proposal for making sure people can still vote without needing to jump through timely and expensive bureaucratic hoops to acquire a copy of their birth certificate, etc, I'm sure that would be something to consider. 

You're still manufacturing a fake reason to make it more difficult for people to vote... and creating pointless headaches because of that. 

14 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

If you have a proposal for making sure people can still vote without needing to jump through timely and expensive bureaucratic hoops to acquire a copy of their birth certificate, etc, I'm sure that would be something to consider. 

You're still manufacturing a fake reason to make it more difficult for people to vote... and creating pointless headaches because of that. 

Oh I get that.  Just seems like a way for the left to stick it to the right.

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honest question:

why doesnt the left give in on voter id laws and attach a requirement that eases ability to get an id?  Maybe x number of id places in every neighborhood with y hours.  Something like that.  Look bipartisan while undercutting the intents of the right.

I'm not opposed to that in theory.

However, I have been to the DMV.........

And I know what polling places look like in the inner city.

I live in Texas. How many ID places do you really think are going to show up in Houston's 5th Ward? Or nearly any of the Hispanic areas?

The entire point of this exercise is to limit voting access for minorities. Any bi-partisan compromise by nature has to give up ground there. Which means, we would be agreeing to limit voting access.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Honest question:

Getting an ID isn't always so easy for people so it amounts to a poll tax of sorts. Travel to place X if you don't have a car, make sure you have your original birth certificate, which may be tough to get.

I think everyone, upon turning 18, should be automatically registered to vote and provided with an ID if needed.   

Registering people when they sign up for Selective Service wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Every citizen has to register upon turning 18, and if folks didn't want it to be a mandatory voter registration there could be a checkbox.

Its been a long time but i think you must prove citizenship and birth records for registering for Selective Service, right?

Citizens who are disabled or otherwise exempt from selective service could have an alternate method. 

~Bang

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

Getting an ID isn't always so easy for people so it amounts to a poll tax of sorts. Travel to place X if you don't have a car, make sure you have your original birth certificate, which may be tough to get.

I think everyone, upon turning 18, should be automatically registered to vote and provided with an ID if needed.   

I actually agree.  

Maybe it's the Republican in me but needing an ID to vote just FEELS right to me.  But then the government should be bending over backwards to help you get one.

42 minutes ago, Bang said:

Registering people when they sign up for Selective Service wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Every citizen has to register upon turning 18, and if folks didn't want it to be a mandatory voter registration there could be a checkbox.

Its been a long time but i think you must prove citizenship and birth records for registering for Selective Service, right?

Citizens who are disabled or otherwise exempt from selective service could have an alternate method. 

~Bang

Women don't register........yet.

Well that seems to be a simple change, and whoever implements it gets an immediate positive spin situation.All areas of the military are open to women, selective service doesn't seem to be that far of a stretch. It's been around since i turned 18, and far as i know, has never been used.

Or, we go through with the Mike Pence alternative plan, and issue girls a voter ID card when they get their first period and become fruitful.

Or we just stick with his original idea and take away their right to vote and solve the whole thing!

Winning!

~Bang

23 minutes ago, Bang said:

Or we just stick with his original idea and take away their right to vote and solve the whole thing!

Winning!

Well, of you look at the president's we had before women could vote and who we have had since I think you could argue that ........

12 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates#

I used either this or a site like this to get a new copy of my birth certificate after I lost it. Was ~$30 and took a week to get delivered to me.

I can't remember / find which site for sure, it was like 4-5 years ago I used it.

Archived