Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Trump believes millions voted illegally, WH says -- but provides no proof (and other stories not supported by the facts advanced by the Trump administration)

PeterMP

5 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

He's had a terrible first four days.  He did not pivot to become presidential, he has pissed off a hell of a lot of people, he was upstaged by women, his spokesman and woman have destroyed any credibility with anyone other than his sycophants, Paul Ryan, Lindsey Graham, and John McCain have all had to disavow things he has said. Remember he came in with well under 50% against H, who I'm guessing you would call a flawed candidate.  His support has dropped if anything, it damn sure hasn't gone up.  Yeah stuff is steamrolling through congress, but the Rs are tied to him more closely every day.

You're concerned with image and polling.  He's executing a right wing dream sequence. 

33 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I am sure there are many smart folks here and elsewhere that are not distracted.  But literally EVERY newscast I watched today talked at length about votegate first and most intensely.  

The sad thing is if you watched the entire press briefing there was some good content but you won't hear about it if you use certain media sources.

54 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

People will believe it because "large scale voter fraud" has been GOP mantra, reinforced by Fox for years.

Yep. Trump didn't invent this. Giuliani pushed the dead Democratic votes thing in October. (link)

Here is an 'article' by the absurd Gateway Pundit pushing the same idea. The Gateway Pundit is claiming that they'll have a White House correspondent this year, which is both insane and completely believable. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

Did you get whiplash watching them switch from illegitimate president to asserting no fraud in the election?

How bout that Republican party?

28 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

The sad thing is if you watched the entire press briefing there was some good content but you won't hear about it if you use certain media sources.

Dude, he's an F-

Quit acting like it's unfair that the media portrays him as such.

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Instead of the news dominated by conversation about his (imo) unconstitutional exec orders, the media and TDSers are talking about this.  

Dont  to throw me in the briar patch!

I could have quoted several Kilmer17's post here, but there is spot on and shame on some of you guys for totally getting sucked into it. Let Trump say crazy things to Congressmen. That's good, cause they need to recognize he is insane, but don't get sidetrack with conversations about things like this topic. If someone posts this on Facebook, tell them to stay focused on things that actually matter like the executive orders or the whitewashing of climate change science or science in general or the pay freezes or any one of a number of things that actually impact us significantly more than his complaining about the fake voter fraud. Hell, send the media companies messages to stay focused on what matters. Over the next 4 years he is going to throw **** out there to take your eyes off of all the bad **** he is really doing. 

5 hours ago, twa said:

Looks historically bad to me:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/202811/trump-sets-new-low-point-inaugural-approval-rating.aspx?g_source=Politics&g_medium=lead&g_campaign=tiles

Add: http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

5 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

You're concerned with image and polling.  He's executing a right wing dream sequence. 

I understand he is "winning" now.  The Rs are going on a mad bender and are going to wake up to a lot of damaged relationships.

I think Graham sums it up pretty well:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/politics/lindsey-graham-trump-illegal-votes/index.html?sr=fbCNN012417lindsey-graham-trump-illegal-votes0757PMVODtopVideo&linkId=33733090
It may not be the most important thing, but it is an important thing.  Just another shot at undermining our confidence in knowing anything; the electoral process, science, intelligence, the press, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance

Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it

Exaggerating your achievements and talents

Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate

Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people

Requiring constant admiration

Having a sense of entitlement

Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations

Taking advantage of others to get what you want

Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others

Being envious of others and believing others envy you

Behaving in an arrogant or haughty .

"Newspeak"............ color me surprised

‘1984’ sales soar after Trump claims, ‘alternative facts’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/1984-sales-soar-after-alternative-facts-trump-claims/2017/01/24/fc5d47f4-e2a3-11e6-a419-eefe8eff0835_story.html?tid=pm_entertainment_pop&utm_term=.d2fe7baa8d3d

Of course this is lost since the shrinking demographic that might actually read is vastly outnumbered by the trogs whose only connection to 1984 is the truck they're still driving (but the Trump stickers and Confederate flags decals are brand new!)

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

I could have quoted several Kilmer17's post here, but there is spot on and shame on some of you guys for totally getting sucked into it. Let Trump say crazy things to Congressmen. That's good, cause they need to recognize he is insane, but don't get sidetrack with conversations about things like this topic. If someone posts this on Facebook, tell them to stay focused on things that actually matter like the executive orders or the whitewashing of climate change science or science in general or the pay freezes or any one of a number of things that actually impact us significantly more than his complaining about the fake voter fraud. Hell, send the media companies messages to stay focused on what matters. Over the next 4 years he is going to throw **** out there to take your eyes off of all the bad **** he is really doing. 

I think this issue needs to be taken a bit more seriously now. 

Reublican voter ID laws are not doing that well in the courts. 

A narcissistic nutjob who is still pissed that he lost the popular vote. Now he's going to waste tax payer money to soothe his ego by finding "voter fraud" in NY and CA.

This is a larger pretext to more voter suppression efforts led by the GOP. 

I'll tell you what I got whiplash from.

Trump going from "IT'S RIGGED!" (pre-election) to "IT'S NOT RIGGED!" (Stein recount) to "IT'S RIGGED AGAIN!" (present).

And yeah, apologies in advance to all the citizens who are gonna not be able to vote in upcoming elections.  Suppression is real, but we're no longer concerned about pesky "rights" so much as we're in "might makes right" mode.

Just now, No Excuses said:

He announces his SCOTUS pick Thursday, apparently.

Republican voter suppression (or denial, let's use the truth here) efforts have been crafted on ID laws so as to pass muster in daylight, just to give them some figleaf of respectability.

Fine

Groundlevel local efforts to reach out, support and assist people to get sufficient ID can short circuit this to a large extent. It would not take a lot of $$$ and could be done as small scale initiatives, all that is required is that people act, commit themselves to helping others, others in their own immediate neighborhoods and communities. Of course, the right will respond with a new level of interference, raising the hurdles higher, but in itself that makes it even more obvious what their intent is. Act, don't just react.

49 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I think this issue needs to be taken a bit more seriously now. 

A narcissistic nutjob who is still pissed that he lost the popular vote. Now he's going to waste tax payer money to soothe his ego by finding "voter fraud" in NY and CA.

This is a larger pretext to more voter suppression efforts led by the GOP. 

Let them do an investigation. That's fine. In the meantime, more executive orders rolling out and more dumb*** nominees getting cabinet positions. 

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So the Russians and Putin were trying to sow doubt about the very legitimacy of our election process.  And with this false claim, Trump is doing their job for them.

His baseless conspiracies are going to solidify at least 35% of our voting population as total and complete nut jobs. 

When InfoWars became mainstream right wing media during the election, that's when I knew a sizeable portion of this country had descended into madness.

I dont know what the long term effects of this will be but I can't imagine it is good for our society overall. 

7 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Groundlevel local efforts to reach out, support and assist people to get sufficient ID can short circuit this to a large extent. It would not take a lot of $$$ and could be done as small scale initiatives, all that is required is that people act, commit themselves to helping others, others in their own immediate neighborhoods and communities. Of course, the right will respond with a new level of interference, raising the hurdles higher, but in itself that makes it even more obvious what their intent is. Act, don't just react.

While this is true, grassroots efforts to overcome barriers aren't really all that easy.

Consider what they did down in 'Bama, with passing strict laws and then closing DMVs in high minority population areas.  To get IDs to everyone who should have had them, it would take thousands of people volunteering a minimum of several hours of their time.  At least.  That can get done, but it's hard to do, the coordination needed is not nothing, and coordination takes time, and time costs money.

In the end, there will be thousands of communities nationwide that would need lots of coordinated help, and there are simply not enough human resources to go around to all of them.  Some will get left behind.  And that's the point.  For every community that gets on the news and gets back to pre-suppression "normal" rates of registration, another 10 will suffer in silence.

10 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

You seem to be suggesting that image doesn't matter, which seems odd, especially given the election season we just had.  From the last election cycle, I would suggest that image is very important because certainly things like integrity, professionalism, substance, and facts did not matter.

More generally, you seem to be criticizing without really making any suggestions.  What would you suggest that anybody do at this point in time (especially given that you've admitted that smart people are likely looking at things to try and determine, which orders make sense to take the court)?

The "liberal" media is primarily only after ratings/clicks and in that sense this is quick easy to understand story and that is always going to be their primary driver so talking about them as if they have any larger objective is nonsensical (other than things like NPR, PBS, and the BBC).

But even if I put up a post, or ABC, CBS, NBC, or CNN do a large story on the Keystone pipeline lying out the argument with details that:

1.  Pipelines do leak, and when they do leak, they do make an environmental mess of essentially undetermined long term costs (not suggesting that the cost is so high that it can't be determined, but that we haven't even really tried to determine what the long term costs of these leaks are in general or how that would apply to the Keystone pipeline).

2.  That pipelines are really boons for big businesses at the expense of individuals as individuals have little to no say about if the pipeline crosses their land.

3.  That once completed, long term, only a handful of Americans are going to be directly involved in the pipeline so directly the long term effect on unemployment will be close to 0.

4.  That oil prices are already low and we are already a net exporter of oil related products, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for more production.

5.  That by building the pipeline what we are doing is making it easier to for a foreign competitor to compete with the US oil industry.

(Given 3, 4, and 5 the net effect of the Keystone pipeline on US employment is very arguable).

6.  The the oil from oil sands (which is where the oil that is feeding the pipeline is primarily coming from) is especially "dirty" and unenvironmental and yes, realistically it is going to make it easier to access the oil, which means it is more likely to go to market and therefore contribute to rising CO2 levels in the atmosphere and climate change and other environmental issues.

That anybody that really matters in the context of this conversation is going to change their mind.  Are there people out there that are Trump supporters that are going to read or watch a story on all of that and change their mind?

(Especially people that can't look at the fact that he's claiming there was wide scale voter fraud even though there is no real evidence for that and say that's bad.)

Over the last few weeks and months, I feel like I'm seeing a lot of this from a certain set of posters where there is criticism of what other people are doing, but no constructive suggestions.

People shouldn't get hung up on the fact that Trump claims there was large scale fraud in the election without any evidence of it?  Great.

What should they be doing (to prevent Trump from executing a right wing dream sequence) and why do you think that would do any good?  (Especially in the context that people are doing other things.  I'm sure that I'm not the only person here doing other things.)

9 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I'm not sure what sources you are talking about.  I looked at the Fox News page and the Breitbart page last night before bed after seeing your post.  I didn't see much of anything that appeared to be related to the press conference (the big story on Fox's page was that Conway was blaming the press for threats made against her and the big story on the Breitbart page was the bureaucrats at the State Dept. let 500 refugees into the country before Trump signed the executive order).

I also strongly suspect many press briefings have good content in them that is missed (again, my point to Kilmer.  The press primarily is looking for clicks/ratings so in that sense they are looking for quick, sensation, and easy to understand stories).

In general, HERE (this board) is what we make of it.  If you think there is good content being missed, you should bring it here instead of focusing on (your precieved) failure of others.

(As just a member of this board of no actual significance), I'd like to personally encourage you to focus on what you can do rather than focus on what you consider to be failures of others.

Archived