Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Victory Monday! Next day thread

Bang

34 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Dotcson sucks.  There is no way around it anymore.  There are plenty of examples of good WR's that come into the league their rookie year and tear it up.  Josh isn't even close to any of those guys.  He's a very talented WR who will never turn into much in the NFL. 

I get the anti-Doctson talk, but does this need to be said after a game he played quite well in? Had some big catches for first downs and could have had another big gain at one point if Smith actually trusted his eyes and let it loose. Not to mention, he had some great blocks in the secondary to spring AP on some runs. 

17 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If we had signed a stud NT in FA, that's a whole other ball of wax. But, we didn't. If we had, would going after a S be the right call? I'm not going to disagree. But if it's between the 2, when you don't have a NT, you go NT. What we have at S is fine.

For me, the DL is going to impact the entire D more than the secondary. You can have an elite secondary, but if you don't have the big boys up front, you'd never know it. On the flip side, a great front makes everyone look much better.

I've debated right there with you on the power of a D line -- so you know I don't disagree there.  We are on the same page.  but I don't look at the draft in the way you explain it here, its not that am looking for a safety so James is it.  I am looking for baller-game changers and it just happens that Derwin is a safety.  I am a BPA guy in the draft.  He's a unique safety though in that he can play slot CB and rush the passer.  Unique player. 

6 hours ago, Bang said:

5. TEs.. honestly, whoever is their coach needs to really work with them on their blocking. I get they are more pass catchers, but the damn job requires blocking on the line as well, and while i can forgive some,, Davis is just a liability in run blocking. He literally tackled AP in the backfield on a play that had a chance to get a first down in a key spot.. and their overall ineptitude in this area of their game is a glaring problem.

Honestly, I'm giving up on that. If Jordan Reed doesn't get it yet, he never will. Lord knows he's been aware that the coaches and the fan base want him to improve in that category and he's sent a pretty clear "F you" to all that noise.

One would think Vernon's vet status would indicate he does get it but I haven't seen it this season.

Bear with me gents - this may be a bit long but I've been looking forward to writing it and explaining how I see our team right now. 

QB - Alex is pretty infuriating to watch. He consistently hesitates to pull the trigger if guys aren't wide open by NFL standards. It's interesting because Gruden said a lot last year he wanted Cousins to give receivers more chances and he's hinted at that a little lately with Smith as well. On drives/plays where Smith just decided to let it rip in rhythm the offense looks much better and we see guys like Doctson/Harris making nice contested grabs and showing glimpses of what we expect them to be! Here's the thing though, Gruden has always wanted an enforcer style dominant defense and a grinding offense. It's the identity he's been developing and trying to build his entire tenure. If anyone saw Jason Witten talking about it, he said it best - it leaves little margin for error but is effective and they've built it well enough this year to have success. Alex, while seemingly underwhelming, simply does not turn the ball over. Of his 2 picks, one was mainly because Reed stopped running. With our defense and running game, not turning the ball over is huge and for once we're winning. It matters and Smith has brought that here. I don't always like it, but it's been effective. Smith needs to improve and have more faith in his receivers on possession routes, but I think from what we've seen so far, there's no way he won't improve. What's pissed me off more than anything is the boneheaded plays he's made the last couple weeks - throwing away a ball on a free play (offsides) and going out of bounds yesterday. You expect more from a "wily vet."

RB - What's to say? AP is everything we've needed for so long. You simply can't teach the vision that he has. Guys have it or they don't. If he stays healthy it will be interesting to see how much money he demands going forward because I would LOVE keep him even with a healthy Guice. Having those 2 guys plus Bibbs and Thompson would be an embarrassment of riches and allow Gruden and Alex Smith to just keep doing what they do best. Don't think we'll be able to afford to keep Peterson though with all the other guys we have to pay. 

WR - I think this group is significantly better than we give them credit for and despite my praise for Smith not turning it over, he holds them back big time. I mean this in the sense that Doctson, while not a world beater and All-Pro potential type player, showed the other day he has the hands we drafted him for and the size and ability to shield DB's from the ball that we drafted him for. He can be a possession guy with exceptional red zone ability if given the chance. His blocking was a huge plus yesterday and really impressed me. Hopefully Smith starts to gain trust in him. Talk to me all you want about catch percentage - you're not going to be great in that area when the QB only ever throws it to you downfield and even half those passes are uncatchable balls. If Smith gave him a catchable ball near the end of the half he delivers a 45 yard TD right at the half in addition to his possession catches and we're all in love today. I also LOVE Floyd and Harris - not the best receivers but their blocking and size is superb and that's a total asset in the run game. And Floyd is still a solid pass catcher I hope we continue to work in. 

TE - not great blockers. Receiving wise though, I think we all know they're great and we need to feed Reed and Davis a LOT more. Smith even missed a wide open Davis deep yesterday. 

OL - yep. They looked great with Lauvao back and Roullier at center. 

Defense - What's to say? I love them. Great group that plays well together. My biggest "I told you so" is that in a previous thread that I can't find anymore I was in a debate with guys that were saying Kerrigan wasn't much more than JAG. That he'd lost it and wasn't much of a player before other than just a guy that put up stats from never missing time. I argued that he's made huge plays throughout his career, forced more fumbles than any player in the league since arriving  and has several interceptions, almost all of which he's taken back for 6. Well, I think this is case closed after this week and hopefully he feasts this week on Eli to get back on track for another double digit season. 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, zskins said:

Oh how great it was. Crying like a toddler....:rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

Almost as soon as the game ended, the NFL's vice president of officiating, Al Riveron, sent out a tweet explaining why Ladouceur was called for a snap infraction.

As you'll see in the video below, Ladouceur made a subtle movement with the ball, which is why the flag was thrown. 

"The illegal ball movement by the center causes the defense to come across the neutral zone and contact a lineman," Riveron wrote.

Generally, you won't see a penalty called when the long snapper subtly moves the ball like that on a field goal. However, if the movement causes the defense to jump, then the official has to throw the flag. 

Proving Bayless is not only ignorant, but also an idiot.

2 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

"The illegal ball movement by the center causes the defense to come across the neutral zone and contact a lineman," Riveron wrote.

Generally, you won't see a penalty called when the long snapper subtly moves the ball like that on a field goal. However, if the movement causes the defense to jump, then the official has to throw the flag. 

We talked about that last week with @KDawg. And that's exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Great job from our Coaching staff then!

39 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Almost as soon as the game ended, the NFL's vice president of officiating, Al Riveron, sent out a tweet explaining why Ladouceur was called for a snap infraction.

As you'll see in the video below, Ladouceur made a subtle movement with the ball, which is why the flag was thrown. 

One of the caller on Chad Dukes show said just because he has been doing it for the last 14 years doesn't mean he is right. Now the officials will be watching him do it. The moron just put a spotlight on himself after making that comment. It is like you drive buzzed and don't get caught but then you get caught doesn't mean you haven't been driving drunk...lol

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I forget who jumped, but kudos also to Kotwica for (presumably) telling the players to look for it and how to react.    

Yeah, this adds a new level to it. I thought it was just Payne noticing the ball moving and reacting. If Gruden and Kotwica actually alerted officials and players, thats some of the best coaching I've seen from Gruden ever and I have more respect for Kotwica than I ever had. 

21 hours ago, purbeast said:

I just heard Grant talk about this so I looked at his Twitter and saw this and came here to post it.  LOL he just TOSSES his ass like I throw my 3 year old son onto the couch.

"Wow!!!!!" was the only word that came to my mind.  That was very impressive toss because Zeke is a grown man!!!!!  Vicious is another word that comes to mind.

I was actually wondering if it was a scouted out thing. I was going to give Kudos to Payne for actually going across the line and making the officials throw the flag - Because he and Brantley 99 moved when they saw the movement - Which was not small or insignificant - as PFT put it - but if it can be seen from that TV angle it was - significant as he tipped the ball forward. 

I just wonder if now other teams are going to be following suit and watching him (and or all long snappers) and use it as a key point just like icing the kicker (providing you don't give up a first down that is) 

As much as the Cowboys fans want to **** and complain that the refs stole the game - a 52 yard FG is not OMG impossible - The guy still kicked and missed. And this is the point - He missed - Had he been 10 yards closer that same missed kick that curled out and hit the upright would have sailed through - No one would be saying anything about - well he clearly moved the ball before the snap - just how dumb Payne was for bitting on it ... 

Holding and minor infractions can be called on most every play but the Refs have to make a snap decision to let something inconsiquential fly or throw a flag on something that ends up bringing back a huge play - This illegal motion was huge for both teams and the Refs made the right call ... 

Still i guess i would be pissed at it if it was us :)

I may have to pay attention to whoever this guy is lol....from before the game:

Final Analysis

Dallas exited Week 6 looking like one of the top teams in the NFL after its dominant performance against the Jaguars. The Cowboys still haven’t proven that they can go on the road and play to that level, however.

The line on this game essentially makes it a pick 'em, which is exactly why the Redskins are so appealing. The offense must avoid coming out flat like it did against the Colts earlier in the season. If Washington is sharp out of the gate, this game shouldn’t prove to be overly difficult.

One area where Washington will need to capitalize is in the red zone. The Cowboys are ranked No. 4 in the NFL (41.18 percent) in red zone defense.

The Redskins, on the other hand, are only averaging 3.2 trips to the red zone per week, according to TeamRankings.com. That means they’ll need to take advantage of at least a couple of those opportunities if they want to land a divisional win on Sunday.

Prediction: Redskins 23, Cowboys 17

Regardless of the call, which obviously I believe was the correct one, the Redskins outplayed the Cowboys for 55 minutes and it shouldn't have even come down to that FG. We won, we deserved the win and the bitter Bayless people just make it even sweeter.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Regardless of the call, which obviously I believe was the correct one, the Redskins outplayed the Cowboys for 55 minutes and it shouldn't have even come down to that FG. We won, we deserved the win and the bitter Bayless people just make it even sweeter.

Missing Moreau and Dunbar those last 2 drives showed...

The call was the right call. The long snapper is expected to pick the ball up as he's getting set to get it in position... But he lifted it and moved it three times. One time? Normal and allowable. Three? Snap infraction. Every. Single. Time. Just they usually get away with it because the refs aren't looking for it.

The coaches and Payne played that perfect.

19 hours ago, Morneblade said:

If we had signed a stud NT in FA, that's a whole other ball of wax. But, we didn't. If we had, would going after a S be the right call? I'm not going to disagree. But if it's between the 2, when you don't have a NT, you go NT. What we have at S is fine.

For me, the DL is going to impact the entire D more than the secondary. You can have an elite secondary, but if you don't have the big boys up front, you'd never know it. On the flip side, a great front makes everyone look much better.

We should have gone NT and drafted Kenny Clark in 2016 instead of wasting the pick on Doctson.  Let DJax walk because of the $$$ he would require and resign Garcon, whom we could have added for a reasonable price.  

16 hours ago, moondog said:

Bear with me gents - this may be a bit long but I've been looking forward to writing it and explaining how I see our team right now. 

<SNIP>

Thoughts?

Apart from the gender omission in the first sentence :), I couldn't agree more with this. Nice write-up.

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

We should have gone NT and drafted Kenny Clark in 2016 instead of wasting the pick on Doctson.  Let DJax walk because of the $$$ he would require and resign Garcon, whom we could have added for a reasonable price.  

I'd been good with this move. Basically doing anything other than what we did (ask a DT to play NT................****ing stupid) and not bother to address it. Draft, FA, SOMETHING!

But we finally did, and I really like Payne. The fact that he can also pressure the QB is icing on the cake for me, I just wanted a guy that could be stout in the middle, and push the pocket. We got that, and now the entire D looks miles better.

Archived