Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Victory Monday! Next day thread

Bang

39 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I have a Bama Boys Boner this morning. They are ****ing monsters. No one is missing Derwin James right now.

Payne is playing great and has been a really pleasant surprise for me, and we obviously are benefiting from him being there. But don't downplay Derwin James; the dude looks like Polamalu out there.

Also not much to add.

The D-line is awesome and is only going to get better. LB's were improved. I liked that we were blitzing at last, more of this please.

Welcome back Lavaou, we didn't know we missed you until you were gone. Chase is a good center.

AP is a beast and one of the main reasons that we're 4-2.

Punt team was excellent, return team was average

I don't have any issues with Doctson's emotionless expressions, we are all different. While he doesn't get a lot of separation, he does use his body well to shield the defender and can also catch jump balls. I really hope that he will come good and am quietly confident that he will.

I've said before that I don't like Alex Smith's style of play and the unexpected accuracy problems are not helping. Others have said that he will improve with time, so I'm still trying to convince myself to wait and see.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. **** dallas, **** Elliott, **** Prescott. Four and two, ****ers. HTTR.

Just now, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Absolutely loved the front 7 this week. Linebackers filled much better. Saquan worries me though, most of his success is from bouncing it outside. Foster simply doesn’t have the speed to keep up with him. 

I'm assuming our Dline will absolutely demolish the giants and Barkley will start bouncing it out on almost every run, so should be predictable. Anderson and McPhee are perfect outside backers for that.

I was out at the bar with some buddies who aren't Skins fans, but who threw a bunch down on the Skins to win. Right before the final FG attempt I said that it would be a guaranteed miss, Tandler will make sure of that... RIP, hope you enjoyed the seat from up above.

The scoreboard said 20-17, but this was a dominant Redskins win. 

-Zeke was absolutely shut down.

-The Cowboys got a lucky, garbage TD at the end of the first half.

-The first time the Cowboys entered our Red Zone was with 4 mins left in the game when we went into Prevent.

-We marched the ball down the field four or five times against a top 5 D. Should have come away with more points; we really need to figure out some plays inside the 5.

-Manusky, well done. Gruden needs to grow some balls. On our final drive, play action would have worked perfectly on 1st down, but he just refuses to do it. 

-AP is a beast. Doctson sighting! Why are we still not using Jordan Reed?

-Okay, if this D shuts down Saquan next week then I'll officially buy into the "Alabama Wall" nickname. 

-Alex Smith is still finding his way here. Running out of bounds on the 3rd down was poor, but realistically, it was meaningless. They would have had zero timeouts instead of one and plenty of time to get into FG range. He's not committing costly, gamechanging turnovers like his predecessor did and I appreciate that. We're 4-2 with Smith still in limbo, if/when he figures this thing out, this team will be in a great place.

Next up is the Giants, for which we should use the same exact gameplan. Shut down the stud RB and make a poor QB beat us. HTTR let's goooo!

57 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Payne is playing great and has been a really pleasant surprise for me, and we obviously are benefiting from him being there. But don't downplay Derwin James; the dude looks like Polamalu out there.

Yeah ditto with me.  Payne's been really good, no complaints.  But the comparisons of Derwin to Sean Taylor and just everybody says he's a lock for DROY -- does it all turnovers, sacks, etc -- he's a special player -- doesn't make me think they made slam dunk the right move.  Nonetheless, I do value defensive tackles over swiss army knife type safeties so I am more than cool with Payne.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm assuming our Dline will absolutely demolish the giants and Barkley will start bouncing it out on almost every run, so should be predictable. Anderson and McPhee are perfect outside backers for that.

Giants are a weird team.  Barkley is as good as advertised.  They struck gold it looks like with Will Hernandez in the 2nd.  BJ Hill looks like a beast too as a defensive tackle.  Yet, they are still struggling.   I said all off season they are overhyped and all for one reason:  Eli Manning.  Manning has been dreadful.  So you got to load the box and stop Barkley, take your chances with Eli.  Eli cowers with pressure especially up the middle so Allen and Payne might freak the dude out.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah ditto with me.  Payne's been really good, no complaints.  But the comparisons of Derwin to Sean Taylor and just everybody says he's a lock for DROY -- does it all turnovers, sacks, etc -- he's a special player -- doesn't make me think they made slam dunk the right move.  Nonetheless, I do value defensive tackles over swiss army knife type safeties so I am more than cool with Payne.

Yeah it's a tough call. I definitely value the trenches and having a good DL is huge, but I'd also never say no to having an all over the field dynamic playmaker in the mold of a ST or a Polamalu. James looks the part in the games I've watched, and he's still a rookie. I could see him being the best all around Safety in the NFL in a couple years.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's a tough call. I definitely value the trenches and having a good DL is huge, but I'd also never say no to having an all over the field dynamic playmaker in the mold of a ST or a Polamalu. James looks the part in the games I've watched, and he's still a rookie. I could see him being the best all around Safety in the NFL in a couple years.

I did a lot of homework on him, and I recall you likewise spent a lot of time on the draft thread.  The thing about James that got me was his athleticism and unique skills -- can play slot, free, strong, rush the passer and mega leader.  Seemed like the total package.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000964133/article/top-10-defensive-rookies-derwin-james-jumps-off-film

When I watched Chargers rookie Derwin James crashing the backfield over and over against the Billsin Week 2, visions of former Pittsburgh All-Pro Troy Polamalu danced in my head. Combining natural instincts, rare athleticism and uncanny timing, James is already one of the most disruptive blitzers in the league.

It didn't take long, however, for my thoughts to veer from the Steelers toward their AFC North rivals in Baltimore. James was the best player on the Ravens' board when the draft's No. 16 spot came around in the middle of the first round.

Would Ozzie Newsome and assistant general manager Eric DeCosta pull the trigger on a playmaker with the potential to transform their secondary for the next decade? Or would they try to squeeze one more Pro Bowl-caliber season out of veteran Eric Weddle, allowing them to trade down for much-needed offensive help?

I thought Derwin James was one of the best players in the draft," DeCosta acknowledged to BaltimoreRavens.com's 

I can swallow it though because of the dual threat of Payne and Allen seems to be a game changer.  I still think they could have done similar by signing Sheldon Richardson for example while drafting James.  But whatever, I can't quibble with it at the moment since its working. 

Great win! Defense was obviously very good & carried the day. The fact that this game was even close though, was frustrating. We left a lot of points out there & 14 to 21 were on Smith. The easy toss that he missed to Sprinkle for a TD was about as easy as a TD throw is going to get in the NFL, he just simply blew the throw. The overthrow to Doctson before half, has to have more loft on it & not be thrown on a line- give your receiver a chance to run under it. And then he had Harris coming across the middle open near the goal line in the 4th quarter & threw the ball away out of the back of the end zone. If he leads him with a throw out in front, I think Harris scores. That's a lot of points left on the field because of poor throws or decisions by your QB. The dropped Hail Mary by Floyd before half was another missed opportunity at a TD, but that obviously wasn't on Smith.

I have to mention Smith running out of bounds on 3rd & 9 with 1:18 left in the game to give Dallas what amounted to an extra timeout for them, was inexcusable- especially for a 14 year guy. A lot can be forgiven when you win, but if we would have lost that game yesterday, it would've fallen squarely on Smith, in my opinion. He's got to start playing much better if we're going to get to where we want to be. Hopefully once we get Thompson, Crowder & Richardson back, Smith will play better with a full disposal of his weapons.

Other than that, all is good. Can't wait for next week to see how we play now that we have control of the division & people are starting to take the Skins seriously.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can swallow it though because of the dual threat of Payne and Allen seems to be a game changer.  I still think they could have done similar by signing Sheldon Richardson for example while drafting James.  But whatever, I can't quibble with it at the moment since its working. 

Yeah I can deal with it; just glad it seems that I was wrong about Payne and he is turning out to be a stud. Having Allen, Payne, and Ioan manning the trenches for the next decade is A-OK with me.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Next up is the Giants, for which we should use the same exact gameplan. Shut down the stud RB and make a poor QB beat us. HTTR let's goooo!

I have a feeling next week Eli is going to look like Beetle Bailey after the Sarge gets through with him.

Eli could have a rough game against us if our front 7 play the way they played yesterday. Dak at least is young and has plenty of mobility. Eli is old and has all the mobility of a 1 legged dog. 

IF they play the same way. I'm just so used to this team being completely inconsistent from one week to the next that I never take for granted that a unit playing lights out one week will actually show up the next week.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did a lot of homework on him, and I recall you likewise spent a lot of time on the draft thread.  The thing about James that got me was his athleticism and unique skills -- can play slot, free, strong, rush the passer and mega leader.  Seemed like the total package.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000964133/article/top-10-defensive-rookies-derwin-james-jumps-off-film

When I watched Chargers rookie Derwin James crashing the backfield over and over against the Billsin Week 2, visions of former Pittsburgh All-Pro Troy Polamalu danced in my head. Combining natural instincts, rare athleticism and uncanny timing, James is already one of the most disruptive blitzers in the league.

It didn't take long, however, for my thoughts to veer from the Steelers toward their AFC North rivals in Baltimore. James was the best player on the Ravens' board when the draft's No. 16 spot came around in the middle of the first round.

Would Ozzie Newsome and assistant general manager Eric DeCosta pull the trigger on a playmaker with the potential to transform their secondary for the next decade? Or would they try to squeeze one more Pro Bowl-caliber season out of veteran Eric Weddle, allowing them to trade down for much-needed offensive help?

I thought Derwin James was one of the best players in the draft," DeCosta acknowledged to BaltimoreRavens.com's 

Sorry, but Sheldon Richardson isn't going to have the same impact. He's not a NT, and that's been the issue ever since we moved from the 4-3. We needed a NT desperately, one way or the other. We drafted Payne, and it's made the entire defense better. There is not a S on the planet that is going to make up for a 3-4 that has no NT. And it looks like got a really good one.

My thoughts........And I'm happy with the win over Dallas, thrilled to ****ing death.  But we have a trap game coming up next week, especially if the Giants lose tonight.  On the road against a division rival, who is one of the worst football teams right now with a chance to snag another division win in a game where we should crush them.  

This game, imo, dictates the rest of our season.  The Dallas game was part of that test too, could we string together multiple wins instead of flip flopping every week, well, test passed.  Ugly win, imo, but still a W.  Now the question is, can we go on the road against a bad football team and win a game we should win? 

I get the whole "any given Sunday" crap, but screw that.  Beat up on a team we should beat up on.  I'm sick of watching this team go out year after year and lose games to bottom feeding teams in games they should win.  This is the first time in a long while that I look at the next part of our schedule and actually see winnable games to give us some wiggle room.

Giants, Falcons, Bucs, Texans.  ALL winnable games.  I don't trust this team/coaching staff enough to guarantee anything, but we have a legit shot of winning all of those games or three of them and hitting a record of 7-3 or 8-2, which would be huge.  If we could just put up points in the 2nd half I'd feel a lot more confident.  Fix the offensive struggles and put up some damn points in the 2nd half of games.

Reed was only targeted 4 times, Vernon had 0 targets.  With two starting WRs out and our 3rd down best receiving back out, throw the ****ing ball to Reed and Davis.  Really Jay, it's pretty easy to call their numbers.  We always hear how great Reed can be when healthy and for the first time, he's as close to 100% as he has ever been and we don't go to him enough.  This is what is making me go crazy.  

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sorry, but Sheldon Richardson isn't going to have the same impact. He's not a NT, and that's been the issue ever since we moved from the 4-3. We needed a NT desperately, one way or the other. We drafted Payne, and it's made the entire defense better. There is not a S on the planet that is going to make up for a 3-4 that has no NT. And it looks like got a really good one.

He's played some NT with the Jets but agree with his more of a 3-5 technique -- bit undersized for nose.  Then take your cake in FA -- Poe or whomever.  Richardson by the way off to a strong start, better PFF score than Payne.   I loved Joseph who is a legit NT a few years back in FA -- also a stud with the Vikings.

But my point was simpler than that -- FA DT/NT AND Derwin James.  Or Payne? 

My point was I've backed off the point. Not that i think I was wrong to tout a NT and Derwin James over Payne.  James has been killing it.  But I like Payne so i am good.  I was the first person on the draft thread a year ago that touted Payne. And posted clip after clip on the Payne thread about how we were gashed on the ground last year and how i think Payne should help fix that.  So I am not exactly late to the party as to liking Payne.  My son is an Alabama guy, I actually went to one of their games this year.  And as you know I've been right there with you shouting about wanting a NT on the FA thread for years.

And while i am digging Payne -- am not exactly looking foolish either by touting Derwin James who right now is graded as borderline elite by PFF and right now touted as the shoo in DROY from a number of corners.  I could let go of James if Payne keeps emerging and so far I like what I see.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's played some NT with the Jets but agree with his more of a 3-5 technique -- bit undersized for nose.  Then take your cake in FA -- Poe or whomever.  Richardson by the way off to a strong start, better PFF score than Payne.   I loved Joseph who is a legit NT a few years back in FA -- also a stud with the Vikings.

But my point was simpler than that -- FA DT/NT AND Derwin James.  Or Payne? 

My point was I've backed off the point. Not that i think I was wrong to tout a NT and Derwin James over Payne.  James has been killing it.  But I like Payne so i am good.  I was the first person on the draft thread a year ago that touted Payne. And posted clip after clip on the Payne thread about how we were gashed on the ground last year and how i think Payne should help fix that.  So I am not exactly late to the party as to liking Payne.  My son is an Alabama guy, I actually went to one of their games this year.  And as you know I've been right there with you shouting about wanting a NT on the FA thread for years.

And while i am digging Payne -- am not exactly looking foolish either by touting Derwin James who right now is graded as borderline elite by PFF and right now touted as the shoo in DROY from a number of corners.  I could let go of James if Payne keeps emerging and so far I like what I see.

If we had signed a stud NT in FA, that's a whole other ball of wax. But, we didn't. If we had, would going after a S be the right call? I'm not going to disagree. But if it's between the 2, when you don't have a NT, you go NT. What we have at S is fine.

For me, the DL is going to impact the entire D more than the secondary. You can have an elite secondary, but if you don't have the big boys up front, you'd never know it. On the flip side, a great front makes everyone look much better.

Archived