Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

Watching Joe Burrow and the Bengals… Burrow has all day in the pocket. His time to pressure might be 5 seconds right now. He has some plays where he’s sitting back there, holding it for 5 seconds and pressure never comes. How is that scored? 

And how can one watch the Commanders and that Bengals drive and think they are at all comparable?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gameplan next week has to be quick throws and running game to set up the deeper stuff. They can’t have intermediate routes be the primary reads. Get it out of his hands, get a rhythm and confidence and get the running game going early.

And screen passes of all sorts. RB screens, WR screens, TE screens.....

Here's a question, why don't we run any read option with Sam? That's another wrinkle that could help the O-line.

And Sam should never, ever have a naked backfield for the rest of this season. We need to at least show the possibility of run in every set. 

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gameplan next week has to be quick throws and running game to set up the deeper stuff. They can’t have intermediate routes be the primary reads. Get it out of his hands, get a rhythm and confidence and get the running game going early.

I thought this was supposed to be the game plan going into the season with an inexperienced QB. We'll see if EB is as stubborn as Ron.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Truly reminds me of these same types of debates from 2013 and 2014. 

I think Sam will be a decent QB some day but I also think the sacks will always be a part of his game. You take the big plays with the bad.

It’s…..really hard for me to watch the games and come away thinking this is correct lol

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They have to incorporate the fake action... jet sweep in their play design. Give the defense something to think about on every play. Buy Howell a couple of seconds. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I know. Every fan thinks their Oline is the worst in the league. 

Meanwhile, Bills players literally came out and said they know he holds on to the ball a ton and they were glad he did. 

Best in the whole ****ing league tho? Come on. No one can actually believe that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I know. Every fan thinks their Oline is the worst in the league. 

Meanwhile, Bills players literally came out and said they know he holds on to the ball a ton and they were glad he did. 

For all this talk about how he had all day and how our line was good via PFF, why am I not seeing screenshot after screenshot of everything he left on the table?

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, just haven’t seen anything other than the iffy Dotson in the end zone screenshot.

I understand the comparison to RG3/Cousins but the internet was full of videos and screenshots of Griffin clearly not getting through progressions and missing bunnies all over the place.  There was a ton of evidence that he just wasn’t that dude in the pocket.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It said they have the lowest share of blame of all pressures given up. That’s more of an indictment on Sam and less a glowing review of them. 

I get it. I just don’t see it that’s all. 

And I have said before I don’t generally know what I’m talking about. So it’s not shocking that I don’t see it. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It said they have the lowest share of blame of all pressures given up. That’s more of an indictment on Sam and less a glowing review of them. 

I'm not sure what they watching, and it's already been commented how often Burrow is back for like 5 seconds before making a final decision on where to throw.

I've even seen them play in person, there's no way on Earth he's getting top 10 amount of time compared to other QBs. His oline, like Wiley are openly admitting to this now.

Is Howell responsible for some of his own sacks? Of course he is, he's 22.  Is our oline least responsible for their QB getting sacked in the league? Bull fn ****.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Any team that can put up sacks terrifies me from a matchup standpoint b/c then your getting someones strength matched up against you biggest weakness. That is prime territory for a negative snowball effect on our end.

Unless we drastically change our entire offensive gameplan from what it has been the first 3 weeks, the Eagles D-line will decide the game by themselves.

Whatever we can do to minimize the Eagles D-line impact needs to be done. This will be our Olines first real test and I am not confident they will hold up

• Like 2

I won't argue against Howell holding the ball too long, he absolutely does. But its not like he's playing behind the Hogs either. The OL absolutely is really bad. Is it made to look worse at times by Howell? Absolutely. But there are also plays where they give Howell absolutely no chance.

• Like 2

Jack is calling terrible defenses, too. I wonder if containing Hurts will be in the game plan.

EB cant scheme the WRs open.

Ron's already retired.

How do you just abandon the run game like that?

I winder how many of these plays about Sam not seeing the field were after he got the snot knocked out of him.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

People continue to look right past the fact that the offense was looking fine when they were running the ball on the first drive and then for no logical reason they decided to drop back Howell 3 times in a row once they were just outside of the red zone.

The first half running attempts this season so far through 3 games are single digits in each game.....you don't think this has a lot to do with the over-aggressive pass rush the O-line is having to deal with?

BRob went for 70 yards on 10 carries, how does that average ypc work out?  Even Gibson was getting decent yards......outside of that fumble.

We beat a better Eagles team last year with Heinicke behind an O-line that was just as bad if not worse because we utilized the run game, (with BRob who wasn't even 100% at the time) ball control, and tried to limit Hurts rushing yards.   And the passing game picked it's shots based on how Philly's defense was reacting to getting run all over. Terry owns this secondary and if you commit to the run, it will force extra help and leave some of their secondary exposed in 1 on 1 match ups.

This isn't rocket science. I am not saying that if we stick to that game plan it means we will win the game, but it will make the game competitive because that is the current makeup of the team and it's personnel.  We don't have an O-line where a QB, let alone a QB in his 5th start can sit back there and scan the field while something develops.  Hell, tonight Hurts was getting 5+ seconds to throw dump off passes in the flat.  

I know EB's scheme isn't Scott Turner's scheme, but EB has plenty of run plays in his scheme too and he needs to start utilizing more of those when the match ups call for it.  Tons of stuff went wrong in that Buffalo game, but it starts with the head-scratching play calling for a lot of the game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we played a lot better against the Eagles. I never liked the matchup with the Bills - I think the Eagles beat us but in a much closer game. 

Only thing is the Eagles have been MUCH better against the run than the pass defensively so far this season. But the ball has to come out quicker that’s for sure. 

Id like to see us use more screens and get him outside the pocket more - make that Eagles D’line move side to side.

The little bit of the game I was watching today, they were picking on Jobe

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I said the same thing some years ago: this PHI team tends to treat our O-line like a sack of potatoes.

The only way to handle them is run run run directly at them so they tire until some passing lanes open up like we did last year. Extremely conservative football.

Otherwise we're looking at a 40 burger.

Edited by El Mexican

38 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

I said the same thing some years ago: this PHI team tends to treat our O-line like a sack of potatoes.

The only way to handle them is run run run directly at them so they tire until some passing lanes open up like we did last year. Extremely conservative football.

Otherwise we're looking at a 40 burger.

Again, the difference is this year they have Jalen Carter and a second year Jordan Davis. Running on them is going to be really hard

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Run? The Bucs were only able to get 41 yards running on them last night lol