Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

My summary is as follows: 💩

Offense

Sam Howell has been pressured on 80% of his dropbacks. 80%. 4 out of 5 attempts. 8 out of 10. 16 out of 20. Look, Sam Howell played horrendous. He had awful decision making today and he just wasn't good enough... However... 80%! Even if you assume that Howell is responsible for 25% of that... EIGHTY PERCENT. EIGHTY. 

That's absolutely wild. He has Patrick Ramsey watching the games and saying, "holy ****, I feel for this guy!" (I made this up, Ramsay probably avoids Washington games for the criminal activity that we allowed to occur to him). 

I don't think we help with our playcalls. We are too pass happy. We don't have Mahomes and the KC offensive line. We have an essential rookie and turnstiles that stop less people than the ones at the entrance to FedEx Field. We don't use the run game enough to keep teams off balance. 

But I have a lot more tolerance for Bienemy and Howell's missteps than I do our offensive line.

All offseason a group of folks here (and many others around the world) have pointed to the OL and said, "not good... please fix". Rivera opted not to. Or at least in any meaningful way. We drafted another defensive player in the first (I hear your arguments that the good OL were off the board and I understand them) and another in the second (I do not hear any good reasons for this one). Does that fix the issue? No. But it helps. 

And then, after Howell had been treated as a tackling dummy for 58 minutes, he sends him back out there to get sacked a few more times. It's inexcusable. 

It might be time for Harris to legitimately start cleaning house. Maybe that doesn't mean firings... maybe that means starting a real GM search (if it hasn't started already). And then if the guy he wants isn't employed, demoting the current guys and getting the new guy in place to evaluate the situation. 

I don't know. 

But if the OL situation isn't shored up it's not just Howell that will be a victim... but Bienemy will get the "see, we told you he sucks" treatment. Going to be a lot of sleepless nights for Bienemy trying to figure out a way to replace an entire offensive line. 

Maybe move Cosmi back to RT and get Stromberg in the starting lineup? Maybe just plug Lucas in? Is Jason Peters available? CRod may need to play for pass protection reasons. Use Armah for pass pro with CRod? Move the pocket more? Lots of options, not sure how many are good or not.

But something has to be fixed.

Defense

We have over invested in the defense. Four first rounders don't perform as well as other teams DLs who do not have four first rounders. However, having said that, they were fine today. Hard to look at them and complain too loud. Did they make mistakes? Yes. But they can't play offense, too. 

Specs

I didn't pay much attention to specs today. I can tell you I hated not kicking the field goal when we were on the two. Otherwise not much to say. 

Studs and Duds:

No studs.

:( :( :( Andrew Wylie

:( :( :( Ron Rivera

:( :( :( Sam Howell

I don't know. I can't keep going. If I had the desire to list 4 of the 5 OL I would right now but I just don't have it in me. 

Season Studs/Duds

5x* - Daron Payne

5x*- Montez Sweat

4x* - Kam Curl

2x* - Brian Robinson

2x* - Terry McLaurin

2x* - Jon Allen

2x* - Emmanuel Forbes

1x*  - Darrick Forrest

1x* - Chase Young

1x* - Logan Thomas

1x :( - Saadhiq Charles

3x :( - Cheeseman 

5x :( - Andrew Wylie

6x :( - Ron Rivera 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'll say the decision to go for the TD in the early 2nd was the wrong move.  Only down 10 points there.  Take the points and don't lose momentum.  I think Howell is holding the ball way too long.  It'll be his downfall.  He needs to get the ball out.  Take the easy yards.  OL was dreadful today, but Sam isn't (nor the play calling) is helping them.  

• Like 4

I've said it before, but this is an unfortunate situation (for Howell).  This year should be about him developing and helping him develop, including protecting him.  But you've got a coaching staff that isn't very good and that likely needs to win games to keep their jobs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'll say the decision to go for the TD in the early 2nd was the wrong move.  Only down 10 points there.  Take the points and don't lose momentum.  I think Howell is holding the ball way too long.  It'll be his downfall.  He needs to get the ball out.  Take the easy yards.  OL was dreadful today, but Sam isn't (nor the play calling) is helping them.  

There weren’t really any easy yards to take.

but to the point of: “Sam isn’t (nor the play calling) helping them” i do have a counter…

Why is an essential rookie QB supposed to prop up the offensive line?

To be clear, I’m not absolving Howell of any blame. He has his share of issues. But when you have a young guy at QB the goal should be to protect him the best you can.

Can we honestly say we’re doing that?

It’s not even so much on the OLinemen themselves. It’s the way it was constructed and talked about as being a good unit by our head coach. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

The play calling today was some of the worst that I've ever seen. EB just seems to want to keep doing the same thing (pass to TEs) and doesn't want to change to what's working.

I don't think Sam was really right in the head most of that game. The ghosts got to him early today. 

We can run the ball pretty well. ****ing do it! CRod and Armah, get the in the game. 

The bull**** at the end of the game was awful. 

• Like 4

I'm ok with losing to Buffalo.  They are a contender and have been a contender the last 3 years.  

I am not concerned about Howell.  Every rookie has had games like this.  It happens.  Can't take sacks to lose field goal range.  Cannot, cannot, cannot.  

I am have though lost all faith in Ron's ability to build a team.  Don't forget, the best players on this team are all from the Gruden era (McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, and Allen).  Ron's drafts have been full of JAGs (Young, Gibson, Davis, Cosmic, Dotson, Mathis, Forbes, and Martin).  Pathetic to have zero pro bowl players from 4 years of drafting.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I'm ok with losing to Buffalo.  They are a contender and have been a contender the last 3 years.  

There’s a difference between losing and getting homecoming’d at your own homecoming.

All teams have bad games.  Great teams lose games.  Good teams lose games.  But only mediocre teams are capable getting curb stomped the likes of 37-3 at home.  I don’t care if you are playing the ‘72 Dolphins.

• Like 3

The lack of a committment to the run early on in all three games is odd.

I like Howell and his potential.  But he's learning the position.  Don't treat him like he's Dan Marino or Kurt Warner in pass happy loaded offenses or like he's running Spurriers fun and gun Gator offenses.  Give him some balance.  Robinson has proven early on that if you give him some carries to find a groove he's a good back.  Use him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

EB thinking just because you have a QB with a big arm you HAVE to call pass plays on almost every down (Turner already tried that with Wentz). The OL is not going to allow that.

You have to be close to 50% on run plays to setup the passing. Maybe this will wake EB up a bit, hopefully. Can't have this type of play calling against the Eagles next week.

• Like 2

Everyone who has tweeted the pressure rate, provides the caveat ‘some of those are on the the QB’ - which is true.

But to put it in perspective, all the QB’s who faced the high pressure rates this offense sailed by today, were also responsible for some of them as well.

Any way you chop it up, 69% is a wild number. 

• Thumb up 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The scary thing about that is the Bills on;y had 3 sacks leading to that game and no Von Miller.  Wait till they play Dallas, Philly, SF, etc. 

The Bills had a top 5 pressure rate coming in, despite a league-lowest blitz rate. The DL is dominant, but Jimmy G doesn't take sacks 

Last season the team came out with a lot of ideas on offense and they looked like maybe it could work. A win against the jags and a close loss to Detroit. Then Philly realized we can’t block anyone and the offense simply didn’t work at all. Everything had to change.  

when they didn’t upgrade the OLine drastically this off-season I suspected we might see the same.  There’s no getting around needing to pass block in todays NFL. Your QB being pressured all the time ends in disaster. So will we once again see the dramatic shift to running the ball and quick short passes? It’s either that or Ron finds starting offensive lineman in his basement, that seems likely.

• Like 5

Yeah I highlighted this weekend this number for Daniel Jones.  But we got him beat.  Heck at least the Giants can say they played two of the best pass rushes in the league in SF and Dallas.  

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Everyone who has tweeted the pressure rate, provides the caveat ‘some of those are on the the QB’ - which is true.

But to put it in perspective, all the QB’s who faced the high pressure rates this offense sailed by today, were also responsible for some of them as well.

Any way you chop it up, 69% is a wild number. 

Sam’s pocket awareness isn’t his strength so when you put a few drops of that in with the **** stew we baked up in the first half, this is what you get.

I’m not worried about his mental toughness. That is probably his greatest asset. He’ll bounce back.

You could tell early on that we had no answer for the Bills defense. This was one of those games where everything that could go wrong went wrong. 

Being a fan of this franchise is so hard. 😆

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The scary thing about that is the Bills only had 3 sacks leading to that game and no Von Miller.  Wait till they play Dallas, Philly, SF, etc. 

agreed. It was Philly last season that made it evident we didn’t have the offensive line needed to compete.

8 minutes ago, temp_fan said:

The Bills had a top 5 pressure rate coming in, despite a league-lowest blitz rate. The DL is dominant, but Jimmy G doesn't take sacks 

Ok fair enough.  Listening to the Bill beat guys they emphasizd this week that they wanted to see their defense get home because they haven't so far.  It's not though that I expect it to get worse than 79% -- that's record charting territory but it feels like we will hit those sights again sadly. 

8 minutes ago, temp_fan said:

They were not hot on PFF metrics as to pass rush.  And they do factor hurries not just sacks.   So I gather at least there are some holes to that pass rush beyond just having 3 sacks.  They have them 24th but I gather they should be headed top 5 after today's game.

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 5.53.45 PM.png

The D was good. They are a good D in general. Not elite, but that usually requires some synergy from the O... and they got no help.

I'd like to see the impact plays from our D-line return, but elite QBs have the ability to make those go away, and Josh Allen did that today.

When you have an O that has not shown the ability to be productive w/ points unless your getting blown out, I understand the urge to try and get 7 when your at the 2. I'm not upset at the attempt, its a product of what we have seen from our offense. What I am upset with is how this O seems designed to magnify our biggest weakness.

We have a really bad O line. Most of us understood this going in.

It is clear at this point that Sam is the kinda QB that will both hold the ball for as long as he can, and does not quite understand how to properly protect himself from massive damage.

And we have a playcaller who seems to think the best possible path forward is to basically forget the run game exists and put everything on his QB.

This is a combination capable of an absolute synergistic black hole... and that is what happened vs Buff.

There is virtually no way on Earth a passing attack giving up 80% pressure can be successful, but the guy calling plays chose to live and more notably die by ensuring this is the pathway we would almost exclusively travel.

We are not suddenly gonna have a great O-line. Sam is not gonna rid himself of bad tendencies overnight. The variable that can and absolutely has to change is EB. There is no reason for him to be calling plays the way he is. It is his job to put his players in the best position to succeed. He is actively choosing the worst.

He got the FG tho. It was at the expense of our guy's health, but by goodness he got it.

The man is putting a Superman cape on Howell's shoulder every Tue before the game and its mind-numbingly dumb. They are killing this kid.

• Like 3