Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Im underwhelmed. He looks like a JAG.

Meanwhile Sam La Porta was great today.

Turner is not a stud, but he can everything pretty well, really good route runner, gets open and has good hands.

LaPorta was one my favorites in the draft and really wanted him or Mayer if we were not going to be able to get a top OT. They both could have assist the OT's as well as becoming a best friend to Howell. They both almost slipped into the first round so went too dang early for us. They will be NFL studs. 

• Like 1

My only issue with the "Sam holds the ball too long" narrative (for right now) is that it seems like the play design and calls aren't very proactive for him to be throwing quick passes.  Should he be throwing it away and/or running sooner, sure I can agree with that, but some of the plays we want to see being made downfield with this WR core require time to setup.  EB is calling 5 step drops which tells me they are still trying to run some longer developing plays behind this line.  It's also the percentage of how much Sam has very little time to drop back and go through his reads in the pocket.  It's a lot easier to do under duress if it is only happening a a small handful of times a game, but once it becomes the norm, of course it is going to affect the QB play, we see it every week with lots of QBs, many who are veterans as well. 

Sam isn't without blame, but it isn't just on the QB in his 4th start.

• Like 4

I am listening to Keim’s podcast postgsne. He said the Bills players said post game that they felt they could disrupt Howell not just from the edges but also the interior and if so he’d struggle. 

My thought though is “duh” because that basically just means bring pressure everywhere. What QB can handle that? Of course that will work 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The OL is bad,but Howell holds on to the ball way to long and his pocket presence is terrible..I don't know if that is even correctable..wasn't that one of his negatives coming out of college? There was a tweet earlier that Howell said he knew what the defensive coverage was pre snap and if that true than why is he struggling  to find the weakness in the Defense and hold on to the ball so long?

The Commanders have their reality check. What’s important is their response.

...We may not know who this team is in its totality yet, and that’s fair, because it’s not even October. But we have seen enough to know this: The offensive line is a problem. That was true in the offseason. It was true in the preseason. It is true after three weeks, in which Howell has been sacked 19 times. You will hear a lot about how not all the sacks are on the line. Put it another way: A lot of the sacks are on the line.

“As an offensive lineman, that’s on us as a unit,” said new right tackle Andrew Wylie, who at times seemed to roll out a welcome mat for eager Bills defenders, opening the door and all but offering hors d’oeuvres. “We take that personally. We got to do a better job of keeping [Howell] upright.”

Amen. Because if Howell is going to not only develop as a quarterback but merely survive, he can’t be hit as he has been. That has to change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/24/commanders-bills-loss-reality-check/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social

Buffalo also learned Washington’s offensive line was vulnerable, so it tried to capitalize, working the interior to create pressure and free up opportunities for edge rushers. And the Bills remembered the Commanders’ reality: Howell is young and inexperienced as a starter in the NFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/24/commanders-bills-blowout-loss/

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The D was good. They are a good D in general. Not elite, but that usually requires some synergy from the O... and they got no help.

I'd like to see the impact plays from our D-line return, but elite QBs have the ability to make those go away, and Josh Allen did that today.

When you have an O that has not shown the ability to be productive w/ points unless your getting blown out, I understand the urge to try and get 7 when your at the 2. I'm not upset at the attempt, its a product of what we have seen from our offense. What I am upset with is how this O seems designed to magnify our biggest weakness.

We have a really bad O line. Most of us understood this going in.

It is clear at this point that Sam is the kinda QB that will both hold the ball for as long as he can, and does not quite understand how to properly protect himself from massive damage.

And we have a playcaller who seems to think the best possible path forward is to basically forget the run game exists and put everything on his QB.

This is a combination capable of an absolute synergistic black hole... and that is what happened vs Buff.

There is virtually no way on Earth a passing attack giving up 80% pressure can be successful, but the guy calling plays chose to live and more notably die by ensuring this is the pathway we would almost exclusively travel.

We are not suddenly gonna have a great O-line. Sam is not gonna rid himself of bad tendencies overnight. The variable that can and absolutely has to change is EB. There is no reason for him to be calling plays the way he is. It is his job to put his players in the best position to succeed. He is actively choosing the worst.

He got the FG tho. It was at the expense of our guy's health, but by goodness he got it.

The man is putting a Superman cape on Howell's shoulder every Tue before the game and its mind-numbingly dumb. They are killing this kid.

They sacked Sam Howell 9 times.  Our "elite$$$$$D" line had 0 sacks. What...one QB hit.....unacceptable.

Tough day but it seems like we made a lot of history today

Through three games, Howell has been sacked 19 times — tied for the second-most to start the season since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, according to Stathead. Only former Bills quarterback Rob Johnson was brought down more often (20 times in 1998). 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/sep/24/bills-mafia-takes-over-fedex-field-blowout-loss-co/

• Sad 1

Team is just built all wrong and when you have a coach that has final say over the roster you end up with what Washington has..Ron doesn't see what is best for the future and only what is good for the now..A lot of these players should be traded off for future picks, but that won't happen,because Ron would loose his job.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't matter how good you may be in other positions, if your OL is bad it will tank your entire season. Its like having a house with a nice kitchen and furniture but the foundation is shaky and the roof is leaking. You can get by with being bad at almost any other position, but a bad OL will destroy you.

So the question is can the OL be salvaged? I think the rest of the team is good enough to at least contend for a Wild Card spot. I'm not like others who think we're just awful everywhere. Howell has shown he can play, but he's young, inexperienced, and will have growing pains. Robinson looks like a baller at RB. The WR trio is good and Turner is starting to develop a bit. I still like the DL, but they got dominated by an MVP caliber QB who was on form today. In general the Bills just made some fantastic plays today. That's why they're a Super Bowl contender and we are not. 

Its gonna be on Rivera and Bienemy to find a solution to the OL. They aren't just bad. They aren't just league worst. They are HISTORICALLY TERRIBLE. I don't think they can go three plays straight without giving up pressure. Howell effed up today no doubt, but he also has no chance to stabilize because he's under pressure literally every play(okay sorry not every play, only....80% of drop backs. That's absurdly high). 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The play calling today was awful. There was no reason for EB to keep getting Sam hit trying to throw every play and not changing the gameplan. 

Then that garbage at the end of the game risking guys getting hurt in garbage time, still passing, only to kick that BS FG?

For EB To loss the locker room this early would suggest never having it in the first place

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

If there is one thing Rivera has instilled in this team its good toughness and leadership in the locker room. No way will there be any mutiny this early. 2-1 is still a good start and turnovers aside, the offense has shown it can move the ball. You gotta take your lumps with Howell and hope you get more good(2nd half of last two games) than bad (entirety of today).

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

For EB To loss the locker room this early would suggest never having it in the first place

It's not like any players were already complaining about him to Ron or anything, right?

That play calling today was pathetic and could have really gotten Sam hurt.

• Thumb down 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not like any players were already complaining about him to Ron or anything, right?

That play calling today was pathetic and could have really gotten Sam hurt.

The oline is just as much to blame. So is the kid. If players turn on the coach after 3 games when they themselves are not playing well they need to leave anyway. It’s a bad game they will be ok

• Like 3

Reg. our WRs, its a by product of the OL. Defenses are getting almost instant pressure often rushing just four. That means seven guys are flooding the secondary, and they don't have to cover very deep either because they know the QB won't have time to throw it far anyway. Its a massive domino effect. Then you factor in we have an inexperienced QB who is not always making the right read or isn't making the reads fast enough.

Its crazy how much disrespect McLaurin gets from his own fan base. I have friends of mine on other teams who would KILL for him. His value around the league is high but to some of our own fans he's "a good number 2." /eyeroll

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough day but it seems like we made a lot of history today

Fun fact for the kiddie-winkies…

The Redskins, 1991 Super Bowl champion O-line gave up only 9 sacks that season! Uh huh, that’s right. 9 in 16 games… Chew on that…

You’re welcome 🙏 

• Like 3