Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

8 minutes ago, profusion said:

It'll be interesting to see whether they can bounce back next week and adapt and play better against the Eagles, even if they still lose to a better team. This week was bad all around.

They're going to have to perform better, or next week will be an even bigger bloodbath than yesterday.  The Bills don't have the talent on the D-Line that the Eagles do, and the Bills had a historic day yesterday against our offense (9 sacks, 5 takeaways).  Jalen Carter and crew are going to be licking their chops at the thought of teeing off on this woeful O-Line next Sunday.  EB better look at the film from how this team beat Philly last year, and copy that blueprint.  It's literally our only chance for success.  This should be a game where we run the ball 40+ times, and Howell doesn't get to 20 passes.  I think the Eagles can be run on, but you need to be consistent and patient with it like Turner was last year in that game up in Philly.  Sam Howell should NOT have more that 20-25 pass attempts against the Eagles, or he might get sacked 10+ times.  This next game is all on EB and Ron, and how they manage to call this game against a ferocious Eagles D-Line.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

Thank god we play the Bears in two weeks. The Falcons and Giants might be winnable after that if we can kinda figure out how to run an offense. It get's real dicey as the season goes on. I predicted a 10 loss season and now I'm feeling that's optimistic. I mean, Bears yes, Falcons and the Giants, maybe we win two of those three. After that, Rams and Jets look like the only competitive games if we don't get it together.

Three weeks in and already hoping for draft position.  

• Like 1

I like how fans are simultaneously crediting the Bills offense for being an elite unstoppable force, while also blaming our defense who held that offense to 16 points through 3 quarters, despite the worst offensive performance we've seen since the Ole' Ball Coach was calling plays.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like how fans are simultaneously crediting the Bills offense for being an elite unstoppable force, while also blaming our defense who held that offense to 16 points through 3 quarters, despite the worst offensive performance we've seen since the Ole' Ball Coach was calling plays.

Yes, that makes no sense to me.  The defense was the least of my concerns yesterday.  Through 3 quarters, the Bills only had 1 offensive TD and 16 Pts, 3 of which were gifted by one of our Turnovers.  We were doing an excellent job until the 4th Q, when the dam broke.  No defense in the NFL can maintain that level of play, when your offense craps the bed after each drive and after every turnover.  A 2 score game entering the 4th Q was all anyone could ask for.  The defense should be upset at the offense for what transpired yesterday.  The scoreboard says 37-3, but Allen only threw for 218 Yds, and 1TD.  It wasn't like we were being boat raced by the Bills offense yesterday.  They did just enough to win, and capitalized on our many turnovers and excellent field position. 

Edited by samy316
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This next game is all on EB and Ron, and how they manage to call this game against a ferocious Eagles D-Line.

Ron is the only guy w/ the rank to smack EB upside the head for this playcalling.

stats.jpg.cb2df9877ea07916aa389bc63a3c3425.jpg

106 first half snaps. 85 pass attempts. 21 runs.

4:1 Pass/Run ratio

We are passing on more than 80% of snaps

Bush League. Stupid. Monumentally dumb.

Understand the personnel. EB has been determined on running his offense, and is doing nothing to adjust it to what he actually has available. He wants to throw the ball, so that is all we do. Doubling down on our biggest weakness be darned.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Ron is the only guy w/ the rank to smack EB upside the head for this playcalling.

Understand the personnel. EB has been determined on running his offense, and is doing nothing to adjust it to what he actually has available. He wants to throw the ball, so that is all we do. Doubling down on our biggest weakness be darned.

Trying to force feed TE3 while BRob is pulling 7 yard chucks off is incompetent. 

• Like 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Those are some shocking stats.  I knew that we were passing the ball way too damn much, but not at that level.  It's like EB forgot that this team isn't the Chiefs, and we don't have one of the best O-Lines in football.  I'm starting to doubt EB now, due to his lack of awareness of what this team is.  How can he call so many passing plays, with such a crap O-Line?

EB is learning to be the play caller.  Howell is learning to become a starting QB in the NFL.  I fault Rivera for not understanding what is necessary to develop a young QB.  He wasted too many picks on the Defense thinking that the Offense would be able to get by with just the basics.  We have two second round picks on the Defense (a DT, and a S) who have contributed zero to the team.  He should have invested draft capital into the OL.  A good GM will solve many of the ills.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Serious question…

Do you believe EB is game planning/play calling with winning as the #1 priority?  Or he dialing stuff up with talent evaluation as the priority?

Cause it sure feels like the second option most of the time.

I think he's trying to do the only thing he knows and that's run Andy Reids offense, which he doesn't know how to do, because he was just a rah rah guy.

I don't think he knows how to organize a game plan or call an offense. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Serious question…

Do you believe EB is game planning/play calling with winning as the #1 priority?  Or he dialing stuff up with talent evaluation as the priority?

It has to be option 2.  Because if it is option 1, then we hired a damn fool for an OC.  Under no circumstances does a normal football coach look at this horrendous O-Line, with a rookie QB, and say to himself, "Yeah, let's pass the ball 70-80% of the time, it gives us the best chance to win!".  He should be evaluated for head trauma, if that's his actual stance on the matter. 

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TradeTheBeal! said:

Serious question…

He is not gonna get a HC job fielding a bad O, so I don't think he is trying to evaluate. At worst, you gotta imagine he's trying to at least showcase his ability to develop a modern NFL O.

He is own worst enemy right now tho.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Serious question…

Said the same earlier, I reckon there is a fair bit of evaluation as the primary focus.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The offense clearly takes the brunt of the blame for yesterday.  But the D barely sniffed Allen.  It was a miracle they were held to 16 for as long as they were.  

With as many resources poured into the defense as we have, it’s disappointing for them to give up so many back breaking 3rd downs early in the game before it was evident the O had nothing to offer.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

EB calling plays for talent evaluation doesn't seem terribly off the mark, but I don't think it's exactly talent evaluation that's the goal. Between Ron and EB, I think someone there is desperate for Howell to flash superstar skills and stats instead of just being a rookie being asked to do the minimum necessary.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While I do believe in momentum, I don’t think 3 there steals it.  I think Rivera believed 2 things:

1. They need to get 7 vs. a team like the Bills.

2. He told EB the above and was confident he’d dial up 7.

Unfortunately, the play calls were 💩.  I believe Robinson missed a key block, but still didn’t like the calls.

I hate the power-draw running play we use so often.  I like it at times.  But it’s like the reverse of running to set up the pass, it really relies on you passing to set up the run.

We rarely just line up and have a “normal” straight ahead run, which slows the OL to fire off the ball.  

I think we need to mix that in.

I would have called a power running olay on third down, and on 4th, get Howell moving so he could possibly run/pass it in.  

I didn’t like the 4th down play call in the situation they were in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank god we play the Bears in two weeks. The Falcons and Giants might be winnable after that if we can kinda figure out how to run an offense. It get's real dicey as the season goes on. I predicted a 10 loss season and now I'm feeling that's optimistic. I mean, Bears yes, Falcons and the Giants, maybe we win two of those three. After that, Rams and Jets look like the only competitive games if we don't get it together.

Three weeks in and already hoping for draft position.  

Things will feel/look much different around here if we can get to the 2nd Eagles game at 5-2...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Serious question…

I dunno, seems more to me that he’s simply calling what he knows and wants to call.

He doesn’t have time to be evaluating talent.  This is his one shot.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The offense clearly takes the brunt of the blame for yesterday.  But the D barely sniffed Allen.  It was a miracle they were held to 16 for as long as they were.  

With as many resources poured into the defense as we have, it’s disappointing for them to give up so many back breaking 3rd downs early in the game before it was evident the O had nothing to offer.

They were collapsing the pocket and forcing Allen to move around a lot. Why nobody was spying him, you'll have to ask Jack.

When it mattered we held them to field goals and got the ball back to the offense, who only had 17 plays and 2 TOs in the first half. 

Holding an elite offense to 16 points through 3Q is impressive. If we were running the ball more, they'd have had less time on the field and maybe the offense can score and keep up.

• Like 1