Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

15 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Is it me or did Cole Turner seem to fall down after catching the ball a lot today. I'd like to see his stats on YAC. I love his potential but he needs to stay on his feet and pick up some yards.

Im underwhelmed. He looks like a JAG.

Meanwhile Sam La Porta was great today.

I am listening to Finlay's podcast with Tischler.  They are normally glass half full on their podcasts.  Not today.  Finlay is hot about them keeping Howell in at the end, taking sacks and getting hit on that last drive and them taking time outs so they can score 3 points.   Not that I need to hear it from them but they don't think Howell will last the season with this type of abuse.  It's not just the sacks but he's also taken 43 hits officially so far this season -- they think the real number is higher but those are the ones recorded.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

The defense was good enough today to win, it was 16-0 through 3 quarters so this was on the offense.  The defense does bug me with their lack of playmaking vs. good teams and their inability to get off the field today on 3rd and long but they were serviceable except for the one drive that started from the Buffalo 2-yard line.

Sam made some poor decisions and then he melted down, it happens to the best of them and while I have no idea if Sam can work his way through the turnovers I know it's going to be nearly impossible if the O line doesn't give him more help. He has the talent but he's going against the opposing D and his own O line, it's gonna be tough.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am listening to Finlay's podcast with Tischler.  They are normally glass half full on their podcasts.  Not today.  Finlay is hot about them keeping Howell in at the end, taking sacks and getting hit and them taking time outs so they can score 3 points.   Not that I need to hear it from them but they don't think Howell will last the season with this type of abuse.  It's not just the sacks but he's also taken 43 hits officially so far this season -- they think the real number is higher but those are the ones recorded.

They gotta take a step back, emphasize the run, quick hitters. I think a first year staff would do this in order to get the long term gains. Ron and EB dont have the luxury of a 1st year staff, they have to impress early but its going to get Howell hurt.

Just now, redskinss said:

Missed the whole first half (had to put my dog down unexpectedly) apparently I didn't miss much.

it was an all around ****ty day that I can't wait to put in the rear view mirror.

At least the cowboys lost.

I'm so sorry, that is a rough decision

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Did we get the late hit flag? Game can’t end on a defensive penalty …

I heard there was a guy in a ref shirt in the aisle. He turned, saw the hit and then grabbed a spatula off the shelf and handed it to Wylie… who also happened to ironically be in the same room.

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chris 44 said:

They gotta take a step back, emphasize the run, quick hitters. I think a first year staff would do this in order to get the long term gains. Ron and EB dont have the luxury of a 1st year staff, they have to impress early but its going to get Howell hurt.

EB should watch some tape of the 49ers O. Not saying he just copies what Kyle does schematically but the way he ties the running game and play action game together, creates easy reads and gets his QB outside the pocket … watch and learn!!

Just now, KDawg said:

I heard there was a guy in a red shirt in the aisle. He turned, saw the hit and then grabbed a spatula off the shelf and handed it to Wylie… who also happened to ironically be in the same room.

I can’t believe Wylie was that close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I think having a running game that you actually use can change a lot for the team. 

Ironically the reason people think you need to throw is chunk yards. Yet BRob was getting 7 yards a carry. Probably would have been a better offense today with him running it.

Just now, KDawg said:

I think having a running game that you actually use can change a lot for the team. 

Ironically the reason people think you need to throw is chunk yards. Yet BRob was getting 7 yards a carry. Probably would have been a better offense today with him running it.

They need to blueprint that Philly game plan from last year and run it 30+ next week.  Only chance to win.

I know the ire directed at JDR has sort of cooled off a bit this past offseason, but I am not sure sure he doesn't deserve.  I feel like the defense has the potential to be better than it currently is, but JDR has a very basic approach and is stubborn about it.  In the modern NFL so many QB's you go up against are not going to just sit there in the pocket waiting to get sacked on 3rd & Long if you only rush 4 and give the QB runnung lanes to escape.  It happened a couple times in the first half, and then of course when they finally decided to send someone in the second half Curl whiffed or....whatever you call that and Allen ran for the TD, but I think the game was pretty much out of hand by that point anyway.   If you aren't going to send an extra rusher at these mobile QB's you better at least have someone spying them in the middle or every QB we face is going to be coached to just wait for the pass rush to move upfield and then right right past them up the middle. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Robinson looked real good. Patience. Quickness. The obvious power but hes looked the part of a full time back thru 3 games. 

just wish wed do normal handoffs instead of so many shotgun draws.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Kyle has Trent Williams and Christian Mccaffery. We have Tony Wylie and Antonio Gibson. Come on dude

Oh I get that. He has Deebo Samuel as well. 

But the way he calls plays, his use of play action off the run design and getting his QB outside the pocket. You don’t need Trent Williams to do that. 

We had Trent Williams of course …

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

If the defense is as good as people think they need to lean on them as much as possible and like you said run more and play field position. I just don't think the D is capable of holding Philly to a low enough score that would allow this to work. Going to inevitably get behind forcing more throws. Wasting the talent at WR either way.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I know the ire directed at JDR has sort of cooled off a bit this past offseason, but I am not sure sure he doesn't deserve.  I feel like the defense has the potential to be better than it currently is, but JDR has a very basic approach and is stubborn about it.  In the modern NFL so many QB's you go up against are not going to just sit there in the pocket waiting to get sacked on 3rd & Long if you only rush 4 and give the QB runnung lanes to escape.  It happened a couple times in the first half, and then of course when they finally decided to send someone in the second half Curl whiffed or....whatever you call that and Allen ran for the TD, but I think the game was pretty much out of hand by that point anyway.   If you aren't going to send an extra rusher at these mobile QB's you better at least have someone spying them in the middle or every QB we face is going to be coached to just wait for the pass rush to move upfield and then right right past them up the middle. 

There are things to criticize him for but I am glad he is our DC after seeing the likes of Barry, Manusky and Haslett. There are group of guys like Barry, Donatell and Vance Joseph who keep getting DC gigs despite mediocrity. Jack’s defenses have mostly been top 10 throughout his time in the league. I hope the next guy keeps him around (If EB were to get the job, I could see him bringing his boy Joseph in because it is the Nepotism Football League)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The defense was good enough today to win, it was 16-0 through 3 quarters so this was on the offense.  The defense does bug me with their lack of playmaking vs. good teams and their inability to get off the field today on 3rd and long but they were serviceable except for the one drive that started from the Buffalo 2-yard line.

Sam made some poor decisions and then he melted down, it happens to the best of them and while I have no idea if Sam can work his way through the turnovers I know it's going to be nearly impossible if the O line doesn't give him more help. He has the talent but he's going against the opposing D and his own O line, it's gonna be tough.

I mean this is the first good team we've played this year

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

If the defense is as good as people think they need to lean on them as much as possible and like you said run more and play field position. I just don't think the D is capable of holding Philly to a low enough score that would allow this to work. Going to inevitably get behind forcing more throws. Wasting the talent at WR either way.

This is the thing with throwing. If you start the game pass heavy and it works you can build a nice cushion and create a ton of momentum Then at a certain point you force the opponents hand and they have to pass. 

But when it’s not working you are giving up a ton of ToP and giving the other team the ball back quickly. Which allows for them to pile up possessions and scores.

Turnovers have a similar effect. 

Running the ball helps keep ToP and limit scoring opportunities for the other team.

Now, a passing game that is connecting and humming is just as viable for ToP and limiting possessions. But one that isn’t has more bad than good.

Clock stops, 2/3 outcomes are bad. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, method man said:

There are things to criticize him for but I am glad he is our DC after seeing the likes of Barry, Manusky and Haslett. There are group of guys like Barry, Donatell and Vance Joseph who keep getting DC gigs despite mediocrity. Jack’s defenses have mostly been top 10 throughout his time in the league. I hope the next guy keeps him around (If EB were to get the job, I could see him bringing his boy Joseph in because it is the Nepotism Football League)

That would be the one reason why you'd never want to hire EB.  Vance Joseph looks worse than Ron Lynn as a DC.

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

I mean this is the first good team we've played this year

Not just good, elite.  Aside from maybe SF & Miami, they'll be the best team we play this year.  I'd rate them higher simply because of Allen.  He's the best QB we'll play this year.  They are a top 5 team in the NFL.  We all know Dak.  Good QB, but not even remotely like Josh Allen.

• Like 3