Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

My few thoughts:

1. We got to see a Ryan Kerrigan play.  Too near the guy who made it played for Buffalo.

2. Referring to an earlier comment, I'm pretty sure the sacks allowed record is held by the Texans during their early expansion years when David Carr got murdered.  Which... isn't an ideal comparison.

3. Admittedly my Penn State homerism, but I really hope we land Olu Fashanu in the first round next draft.

7 minutes ago, Forehead said:

3. Admittedly my Penn State homerism, but I really hope we land Olu Fashanu in the first round next draft.

Me too.

I'd love Bowers but right now anything aside from O line is a luxury pick and we can't afford to go luxury IMO in the next draft.

or Alt

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I'm ok with losing to Buffalo.  They are a contender and have been a contender the last 3 years.  

I am not concerned about Howell.  Every rookie has had games like this.  It happens.  Can't take sacks to lose field goal range.  Cannot, cannot, cannot.  

I am have though lost all faith in Ron's ability to build a team.  Don't forget, the best players on this team are all from the Gruden era (McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, and Allen).  Ron's drafts have been full of JAGs (Young, Gibson, Davis, Cosmic, Dotson, Mathis, Forbes, and Martin).  Pathetic to have zero pro bowl players from 4 years of drafting.  

Agree 100% with this 

I didn't have any expectation that they'd beat the Bills 

I still don't really know what Rivera brings to the franchise about from off the field respectability, discipline and manners. 

He rode an incredible defense and Cam Newtons 1 great season to the bowl

re: the front office, I've posted this before but bears repeating:

Since Scherff was taken 5th in 2015, we've only drafted 3 O linemen in the first 3 rounds (Geron Christian, Cosmi and Stromberg)

and we haven't exactly been spending money on good FA linemen 

This is negligence

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I imagine ownership since day one has had professionals analyzing and documenting as much as possible inside the org and around the league with the assumption next offseason will be very active. This was one of those moments that probably focuses more on the front office and how they've built (or haven't) their OL. 

This isn't Snyder meeting with coaches or leaving vanilla ice cream outside their offices. It's notes that it's year 4 for Ron and things like this stand out. 

• Like 4

Sam had his rookie game today and it was obviously a terrible one.  EB had a bad game  He should've stuck with the run which was working in the first half and in the 2nd half before the game got away.  The OL is horrific and may easily be an excuse for a firing Rivera and Co.  They team hasn't arrived and maybe they will under a different coaching staff. 

• Like 3

Yeah that was just a raging dumpster fire. Howell played like crap and made some horrid decisions, but the percentage of snaps where he was pressured is completely off the hook. I'm certainly not absolving him of blame by any means, but hardly any QB, let alone a guy who's on his 4th NFL start, would be able to succeed in that sort of environment.

Howell has shown himself to be very resilient so far, but this is going to be one hell of a test. Hopefully he comes out on the other side ready to play and with some lessons learned.

The OL...I just have no words. None.

Also, EB needs to let go of his "pass a ton in the first half and then reverse the ratio in the second half when that doesn't work" thing. It's getting dumb. Yes, it's a passing league now, and yes we have a QB with a big arm. But he's still close to being a rookie. EB needs to stop thinking he has Mahomes and start figuring out better ways to try and protect Howell and get the run game going earlier.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah that was just a raging dumpster fire. Howell played like crap and made some horrid decisions, but the percentage of snaps where he was pressured is completely off the hook. I'm certainly not absolving him of blame by any means, but hardly any QB, let alone a guy who's on his 4th NFL start, would be able to succeed in that sort of environment.

Howell has shown himself to be very resilient so far, but this is going to be one hell of a test. Hopefully he comes out on the other side ready to play and with some lessons learned.

The OL...I just have no words. None.

Really should've addressed the line better. Every successful young QB I can think of, really had good to great protection at least, w others having a great running game too.

• Like 2

The fact that our “vaunted” DL ALWAYS gets dominated by good to elite QBs/OLs is super frustrating. Means we have no chance to win because thats where our resources have been invested.

The OL is garbage. Complete and utter garbage. Howell was bad but hes young and can get better. There are way too many plays where he has zero chance. 

Beyond that not much else to say. Lick our wounds and get ready for Philly.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I'm ok with losing to Buffalo.  They are a contender and have been a contender the last 3 years.  

I am not concerned about Howell.  Every rookie has had games like this.  It happens.  Can't take sacks to lose field goal range.  Cannot, cannot, cannot.  

I am have though lost all faith in Ron's ability to build a team.  Don't forget, the best players on this team are all from the Gruden era (McLaurin, Sweat, Payne, and Allen).  Ron's drafts have been full of JAGs (Young, Gibson, Davis, Cosmic, Dotson, Mathis, Forbes, and Martin).  Pathetic to have zero pro bowl players from 4 years of drafting.  

I think most people could accept a loss to Buffalo.  It's the manner in which they lost that's at issue.

I'd really like to get Dotson going.  Other than the TD number last year, not a whole lot from him. If Terry were to go down, I'm not sure right now if Samuel and Dotson could step up and hold it down 

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Really should've addressed the line better. Every successful young QB I can think of, really had good to great protection at least, w others having a great running game too.

Or, barring a top notch OL, at least had a play caller who figured out other ways to try and protect him somewhat. EB is out there acting like he has current day Mahomes.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The scary thing about that is the Bills only had 3 sacks leading to that game and no Von Miller.  Wait till they play Dallas, Philly, SF, etc. 

EB has to get out of what he wants to do and come into.these games with what he has to do.  As in, scheme within the limitations of his OL.  It's like he comes into these games thinking he's got 5 completely different guys upfront.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Sam had his rookie game today and it was obviously a terrible one.  EB had a bad game  He should've stuck with the run which was working in the first half and in the 2nd half before the game got away.  The OL is horrific and may easily be an excuse for a firing Rivera and Co.  They team hasn't arrived and maybe they will under a different coaching staff. 

Yeah I agree. More than anything, this loss felt like a culmination of roster blunders by Ron Ron and Co.

Another couple losses like this, and I think the idea of a total organizational deconstruction becomes more likely, w no one being spared.

*Edit, I think loss of the coaching staff was always a possibility, but I'm talking coaching staff, talent eval, ticket ppl, everybody.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

It was a lot worse in person.

This will be the only post I make in this thread,  because I'm moving on from this ugly loss and chalking it up to a learning experience, a dose of reality,  and rooting for the Cardinals.

The whiskey helps😉

Jason Wright stopped by our tailgate and hung out for a while. He was/is pretty cool.

20230924_113514.jpg

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah I agree. More than anything, this loss felt like a culmination of roster blunders by Ron Ron and Co.

Another couple losses like this, and I think the idea of a total organizational deconstruction becomes more likely, w no one being spared.

*Edit, I think loss of the coaching staff was always a possibility, but I'm talking coaching staff, talent eval, ticket ppl, everybody.

Part of me thinks that, while this loss was horrible to watch and even harder to stomach in general, it may have been necessary in order to open peoples' eyes to how bad some things are, especially out OL. That Ron's talk about how the unit was fine and was good in the offseason was completely BS and he needs to be held accountable for that ****.

• Like 1

After what happened to the Broncos today, only hanging 35 on them could be seen as a red flag in hindsight.

Sam Howell should sue the organization for malpractice with the OL like Trent Williams should have after his misdiagnosis.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

Time for this staff to be gone.  Everyone hitting on the draft and roster construction has identified the biggest problem with Rivera imo. We don’t seem to have a coherent strategy picking players.  2 years straight of unproductive 2nd rounds picks on D for positions we didn’t need, they weren’t even bpa.  Terrible free agency signings.  Plus the terrible starts to each of Ron’s seasons here. This season we could easily be 0-3 being blown out in 2 of 3.   

I'm still not sure on EB but thinking we are seeing why he hasn’t gone anywhere without Reid.  

Hopefully this was just a really bad game and we bounce back but I’m not optimistic. 

• Like 3

Defense was competitive for most of the game but the offense was a mess.  The oline isn't doing the team any favors and EB needs to start calling plays to help them out. 

We need a WR to step to be that guy--our wideouts not getting open is BIG problem.  Diggs showed what we need out of a #1 receiver.

Kendall Fuller played well.  Robinson did alright.  Everyone else should have played better.

Edited by Leonard Washington

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that our “vaunted” DL ALWAYS gets dominated by good to elite QBs/OLs is super frustrating. Means we have no chance to win because thats where our resources have been invested.

The OL is garbage. Complete and utter garbage. Howell was bad but hes young and can get better. There are way too many plays where he has zero chance. 

Beyond that not much else to say. Lick our wounds and get ready for Philly.

The D line are far too inconsistent, it's maddening 

Howell has only 4 starts, but he has to just throw the ball away, no one will criticise him for doing so 

4 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

We need a WR to step to be that guy.  Diggs showed what we need out of a #1 receiver.

I dunno, I think it's kinda hard to blame WRs when the OL is giving up pressures on 70% of snaps and the QB is then making terrible decisions on top of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1