Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Reg. our WRs, its a by product of the OL. Defenses are getting almost instant pressure often rushing just four. That means seven guys are flooding the secondary, and they don't have to cover very deep either because they know the QB won't have time to throw it far anyway. Its a massive domino effect. Then you factor in we have an inexperienced QB who is not always making the right read or isn't making the reads fast enough.

Its crazy how much disrespect McLaurin gets from his own fan base. I have friends of mine on other teams who would KILL for him. His value around the league is high but to some of our own fans he's "a good number 2." /eyeroll

Agree completely. Terry would be putting up big numbers if he were in the Bills offense. I like Diggs a lot and he is a number1 but he would not have the numbers he is putting up with the Bills if he were in this offense. Huge difference between the Bills OL and ours plus Allen is a stud Qb 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Fun fact for the kiddie-winkies…

The Redskins, 1991 Super Bowl champion O-line gave up only 9 sacks that season! Uh huh, that’s right. 9 in 16 games… Chew on that…

You’re welcome 🙏 

Those guys who played in 1991 could probably play better NOW than the likes of Tony Wylie. 

Dude is like Stephon Heyer level bad.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, fanman8825 said:

Agree completely. Terry would be putting up big numbers if he were in the Bills offense. I like Diggs a lot and he is a number1 but he would not have the numbers he is putting up with the Bills if he were in this offense. Huge difference between the Bills OL and ours plus Allen is a stud Qb 

Allen is just a complete game changer. There were quite a few plays where we got some good pressure, but he just bullied through them like a man amongst boys. I think people forget the guy is a top 3 QB in this league and legit MVP contender when he's on form. He has bad games every now and then but when he's on he's ON. 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I mean Howell holding on to the ball a long time isn't rocket science, but on 3rd and long(which I'd assume most of those 3rd downs were)you're gonna need around 3.5 seconds for guys to get downfield. Those numbers actually suggest its more on the OL, ~3.3 seconds isn't unreasonably long.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I just can’t believe after the great RG3 wars of the past decade that so many in our fanbase are still so quick to blame the Oline. Sam Howell took a ton of sacks in college. That’s literally his game. 

I honestly think every fanbase in the league with exception of maybe Dallas and Cleveland think they have a bottom 5 Oline. It’s such low hanging fruit to pick at. 

Our OLine can certainly be better but sacks are more influenced by QB than we want to admit. Some guys are just naturally inclined to take a bunch. We made the decision to start a rookie in a must win year so you have to take the good with the bad. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen is just a complete game changer. There were quite a few plays where we got some good pressure, but he just bullied through them like a man amongst boys. I think people forget the guy is a top 3 QB in this league and legit MVP contender when he's on form. He has bad games every now and then but when he's on he's ON. 

I mean Howell holding on to the ball a long time isn't rocket science, but on 3rd and long(which I'd assume most of those 3rd downs were)you're gonna need around 3.5 seconds for guys to get downfield. Those numbers actually suggest its more on the OL, ~3.3 seconds isn't unreasonably long.

3.3 isn’t unreasonable? Really?

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

All offseason a group of folks here (and many others around the world) have pointed to the OL and said, "not good... please fix".

Most of us with two eyes said that. 

The reality is that our obvious OL weakness was kind of masked when the QB Who Shall Not Be Named was around here (plays in Atlanta now?)

So when facing good to very DLs like Buffalo our semi-rookie QB crumbles.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the former QB not named Wentz would probably have fared bettered against the Bills.

28 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but the former QB not named Wentz would probably have fared bettered against the Bills.

It would've been worse...there are passes Sam made today to move the ball, especially in the 1st Drive if second half, that homie jus cannot make.

It would've been worse.

• Like 3

I just thought I’d bring this up since some got upset about Gibson being called out for fumbling earlier this year. So far this year, Gibson has 2 fumbles on 14 touches. So, at a 14% fumbling rate, you guys were correct, he does not have a fumbling problem. I apologize. Maybe it’s his arthritis or maybe his mother didn’t hold him tightly as a child.

Also, I think we really need a running back that can break some long runs. I think Gibson could be this person, but based on the rumor I just made up about his mom dropping him at least 10% of the time (again, not that much) I do not feel he has the strength or passion to hold onto the football. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The play calling today was awful. There was no reason for EB to keep getting Sam hit trying to throw every play and not changing the gameplan. 

Then that garbage at the end of the game risking guys getting hurt in garbage time, still passing, only to kick that BS FG?

Losing fan support and losing player support are not the same thing.

I was not a fan of seemingly risking Sams health to keep from getting shutout.

But if folks want to get mad a Eric for that, I point to he's going to hVe growing pains too and ultimately Ron let him do it instead of stopping him.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that our “vaunted” DL ALWAYS gets dominated by good to elite QBs/OLs is super frustrating. Means we have no chance to win because thats where our resources have been invested.

Another reason extending both Sweat and Young makes no sense at all.

4 first round picks on the dline and not a single one on the oline is absolute madness, the results speak for themselves.

That kinda of resource differentiation is not a winning formula.

• Like 3

Yeah time to clean house.

In terms of play calling and the lack of commitment to the run game, my only assumption can be is that this season is all about EB testing Howell. An NFL standard OL might have made the exercise somewhat fairer though.

Gibson should be a dud as well.

Edited by Est.1974

I really hope that we will make some use of Brissett in short yardage situations going forward. I think he has a career record of 100% on qb sneaks. If it's 3rd or 4th and a yard, sneak it once or twice with him. The Eagles have scored so many TDs that way recently and we have a QB who might bei just as good as Hurts. I think it's stupid to not do it and the Browns did it with Brissett even when Watson was playing.

41 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

The reality is that our obvious OL weakness was kind of masked when the QB Who Shall Not Be Named was around here (plays in Atlanta now?)

Good-googly-moogly no. A billion times no. What a take.

TH was so bad, he was regulated to a Tim Tebow role and not allowed to effect the game.

With TH:

-We Ran the stuffing outta the ball to prevent touches by our QB, and we were bad at running the ball

-There was no 2 min Offense because your not putting him in an obvious pass situation where the guy who led the league in turnover worthy plays can create more

-Massive swaths of plays had to be removed from the playbook b/c TH could not throw them. At all

-They gave up on the prospect of having a productive passing O before the opening whistle

You put TH is Sam Howell's O, where he actually has to do something other than hand the ball off 40 times a game, he throws 8 INTs and has 4 fumbles.

He was just so bad the coaches didn't even believe in him and actively designed an O that minimized our biggest weakness (him) and provided the smallest opportunity for TH to suck even harder in an attempt to prevent him from costing us games.

There was a masking effect all right, and it was because TH sucked so bad, we didn't even try to pass the ball and thus our terrible pass blocking was less exposed.

Unreal

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I just can’t believe after the great RG3 wars of the past decade that so many in our fanbase are still so quick to blame the Oline. Sam Howell took a ton of sacks in college. That’s literally his game. 

I honestly think every fanbase in the league with exception of maybe Dallas and Cleveland think they have a bottom 5 Oline. It’s such low hanging fruit to pick at. 

Our OLine can certainly be better but sacks are more influenced by QB than we want to admit. Some guys are just naturally inclined to take a bunch. We made the decision to start a rookie in a must win year so you have to take the good with the bad. 

What is he missing though?

There are absolutely times where he should get rid of it faster, no doubt.  I’m just not seeing a quick game being called or wide open reads he’s missing.

4 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Most of us with two eyes said that. 

Probably, because they wouldn’t attempt so many passes with him behind center, because he’s not a good passer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Very interesting point. Is McLaurin that guy? I still see him as a very good number 2. 

We have never really tried to feed him like we should.  He should be getting 10 targets every week.  Diggs had 12, Mclaurin had half that. You have to make a concerted effort to get your top people the ball.  We complained about Terry not getting involved against the Cardinals with only 4 targets.  Our solution, 6 targets in each of the next 2 weeks.

You look at the top guys and they're getting the ball thrown to them every other play.  Jordan Addison, Jonathan Mingo, Jayden Reed, Darius Slayton, Tank Dell, guts like that all get more looks than our top guy.  

• Like 1

I’d like to see more motion in our offense. Get Terry into the slot. More crossers, china routes, jailbreaks, backside drags. We have to scheme Terry open and as a primary read. Dotson should be the alternative slot guy with a similar focus.

• Like 2

Unless you have a generational talent under center - someone like Patrick Mahomes and Patrick Allen (when he isn't throwing interceptions every which way) - if you don't win in the trenches, you don't win ball games. We knew going into the season that this offensive line was suspect (to put it lightly) and when they went up against a first division team like the Bills, that was brought into sharp focus. We have fine players and a young, albeit raw, quarterback that has absolutely shown flashes of promise but the Bills are clearly in another realm than we are right now. That's no surprise. Oh well.

Rest up and prepare for an awfully tough Philadelphia squad this week. 

7 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Very interesting point. Is McLaurin that guy? I still see him as a very good number 2. 

McLaurin is a good player and has made outstanding catches.

He still hasn’t become the “we need a play, we run something for Terry” or a “OMG the world knew he was getting the ball, why was he so open”-type of player. 

6 hours ago, bowhunter said:

So if RR is truly auditioning to keep his job, does he admit he was wrong and remove Wylie from RT and show that he can adjust? 

He needs to be let go, i dont want him part of this franchise, why let decent players walk and replace them with bums? Holcomb is the latest example…. But there are many others and his draft picks have all stunk so far, I know there’s a lot of hope for dotson and jamin davis has improved per se but neither were worth first round picks when you have a Swiss cheese offensive line. It’s very apparent Cam Newton carried him.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2