Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Is it safe to say we finally have a QB now???  I didn't see the game but sounds like he played great. I am reluctant to get too excited just yet but sounds like we might finally have some hope at QB now.

Howell is clearly still figuring out, not only a new offense, but the speed of the NFL game in general. He is gonna be our guy because he doesn't get rattled....we need to keep him healthy cause he takes risks. Yes, I'd say we have the kid we should roll with moving forward.....today was just a tremendous win for the team and Sam Howell in particular. The defense can do soooo much to help him by showing up earlier in games. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I can't get enough of how he keeps his eyes downfield and is willing to strike it into tight windows or make anticipations throws 

The pass to McLaurin left his hand when McLaurin was still far enough away from the ball

its washing the stench of every Smith check down off and it feels amazing 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

For a young guy, playing in his second system in two years, he sure has been hanging in there and battling, and he made some big time throws today.

Hopefully he stays alive for all 17 starts, but I like what I've seen. He can make plays in this league.

yes he definitely needs to look after himself a little more, we want him under centre a long time 

hopefully as the game slows down he has to improv less 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

I can't get enough of how he keeps his eyes downfield and is willing to strike it into tight windows or make anticipations throws 

The pass to McLaurin left his hand when McLaurin was still far enough away from the ball

its washing the stench of every Smith check down off and it feels amazing 

yes he definitely needs to look after himself a little more, we want him under centre a long time 

hopefully as the game slows down he has to improv less 

Another season in EB's system, and some high quality fat guys, should help him immensely. Mile High is a tough place to play. I can't remember the last time we won there, before today. He's a gamer.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

For a young guy, playing in his second system in two years, he sure has been hanging in there and battling, and he made some big time throws today.

I felt like he was a bit more decisive today. It seemed like he hit the underneath routes with a better sense of urgency. Taking what the defense was giving him sooner. 

But that 45 yard rope to TMac was an eye popper for sure. The dart he tossed up the sideline to (maybe Turner?) was nice too. 

Entertaining football. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

How many QB hits did he take today? It seems he was constantly holding the ball to the last second and getting hit. I *know* the throws were accurate and he needed the extra time to deliver but that is too many hits for me. Playing catchup was part of it, I know so we have to not get behind and play that kind of ball to protect him. Just HOW we do that..I don't know..find a running game????

Dude hasn't lost yet...saying that isn't jinxing him because we all know he will indeed lose, but even when behind by 18 points on the road the team pulls out a win with him behind center. I'll need to find out how often a QB on this team won their first 3 starts...it'll probably include a guy like Tony Banks or Shane Matthews or some **** lol...Oh, well it will also include the QB we broke out of prison during the 1987 strike. 👍

• Like 2

There are two calibers of QB that win in this league.  QBs you can win with, and QBs you can win because of.  There are usually only 3-5 "win because of "QBs in the NFL at any given time/era.  Howell to me is at least starting to show he is a QB you can win with.  "Win because of" is still something we have to wait on and won't likely know for another season or two, but I really think Howell is doing enough to put him in that Jalen Hurts category where if you build the talent around him, he can make the big plays necessary.  

The main criticism of Howell right now is holding onto the ball, but for starters, I think the issue is more about cleaning up his decisiveness once the pocket starts to break down.  I think on a good number of those sacks, if he just committed to bailing and taking off a half a second sooner, he'd be getting yards.  This isn't to say he should be doing that every time over simply throwing the ball away, I am just saying I think as a mobile QB who can hurt you with his legs, that option has been there a few times where instead he sort of sits down with the ball and waits too long for an off-script play to develop.  Also, I think that is common with a lot of mobile QBs, even the vets.  They often will refuse to give up on a lot of the plays the non-mobile QBs.  There is always going to be pros & cons to that mindset and it is going to pay off sometimes and look bad at other times.  The hope is that the more Howell gets experience and reps, the  better he will be at making those kinds of decisions.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If noone is open I just want Howell to take off and run. He's a really good runner.

The flipside is you want him to buy time to let plays develop or receivers to get open downfield for bigger chunk yardage gains. But yes, he's a good runner who can use his legs to keep defenses honest a time or two a game.

Today was great for Howell, and his first "good" game. That's a positive.

He'll need to continue to perform, and do so in non blowout situations, but there was a lot to like today, and the good grossly out-weighted the bad.

And if anyone wanted an example of an anti-TH QB role in a gameplan and game, put up tape of Howell v Den. It was so far in the other direction it made me angry lol.

All you can ask for out of a young QB is consistent improvement.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I remember some bloke in the off-season said that Howell’s legs were an asset, not a weapon.

And ppl argued that he was going to rush for 600+ yards. 

In 2 games so far, Sammy has 4 carried for 24 yards and a long of 11.

The same bloke said he was going to be a top 10 NFL QB.

Looking smart so far 😂😂

• Like 1