Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The dart he tossed up the sideline to (maybe Turner?) was nice too. 

It was Bates.  Looked like a Cover 2 beater, and it was super well placed.  That was one of his finest throws, because if the timing or placement are just a little bit off, that safety is going to obliterate your pass catcher.  He put it on Bates and gave him time to brace himself for the contact.

Going back into preseason, Sam's accuracy has been really strong.  He's only missing on a couple of balls per game, and even when he's feeling pressure he is still placing it well.  Also he has the receivers to adjust to throws, they just have to get better at altering their routes to give him more space to throw, especially since he is a shorter QB and a lot of the angles he has to throw are tight.  It'd also help if they don't run into each other on their meshes.  That's why Sam had to hold the ball on that strip sack.  Curtis was wide open and they would have gotten the throw off quick if Dyami hadn't blown him up.  Someone ran that at the wrong depth, and the WRs have been making those kinds of mistakes a little too often.

Howell's development is on track, but one of the biggest challenges he's going to face this year aside from constantly playing catch up to master his coverage and pressure reads, is learning how to manage the wear and tear of starting a full NFL season.  It's pretty brutal and only learned by doing, and it's something every QB has to go through in order to be a long term starter.  This is Sam's first time at it, and the contacts he's taken have been really hard.  It looked like he hit the back of his head on the ground on that sack where Nik Bonitto smoked Leno with the speed rush.  Luckily he has a 23 year old's healing powers, but eventually the cumulative damage will be tougher to bounce back from and he'll hit a physical wall at some point this season.  That's when our season is going to stall out a little bit, and we're going to have to figure out ways to still get wins in order to survive.  Sam isn't going to get the luxury of a long runway for learning on the job here. He has to figure everything out fast.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

Take a bow, Sam Howell. If ever there were a game with a true tale of two halves, it was this one. Howell and the Commanders gained 90 yards on their first 20 plays and had just three points to show for it. Things started to turn late in the first half, when Howell led the Commanders on a nine-play, 49-yard drive ending in a touchdown pass to Logan Thomas on fourth-and-goal. From there, Howell took off, lighting up the scoreboard with three touchdown drives in the second half, including the best pass of his young career, a 30-yard scoring strike to Terry McLaurin. Howell commanded (no pun intended) the offense throughout the game, showing poise, confidence and decisiveness on every dropback. He extended plays and picked up yards with his feet when necessary. He stood tall in the pocket and delivered bullets to 10 different targets, finishing with an impressive passing line (27 of 39, 299 yards, two touchdowns). I see what Ron Rivera saw in him entering 2023. I'm officially sold after another performance in which Howell battled and came out on top.

Next Gen Stat of the game: Sam Howell's 30-yard TD pass to Terry McLaurin traveled an air distance of 41.2 yds with 1.2 yards of target separation for a completion probability of 22 percent.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-season-week-2-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

It looked like he hit the back of his head on the ground on that sack where Nik Bonitto smoked Leno with the speed rush.

Also, it looked like Bonitto ripped Sam’s helmet off on that play.  Isn’t that supposed to be a flag considering the violence with which he was slammed to the ground?  Meanwhile Jamin Davis puts his hand on Wilson’s helmet and gets flagged.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I remember some bloke in the off-season said that Howell’s legs were an asset, not a weapon.

And ppl argued that he was going to rush for 600+ yards. 

In 2 games so far, Sammy has 4 carried for 24 yards and a long of 11.

The same bloke said he was going to be a top 10 NFL QB.

Looking smart so far 😂😂

It was a shame that his longest run by far yesterday got called back for a hold.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

- Trade Brissett to the Jets today. Ask for a conditional 2nd, accept a 3rd and 5th.

- Sign Colt McCoy to backup Sam

- Ask McCoy if he knows any good long-snappers

Actually, ask McCoy if he can be our long snapper. Couldn’t be any worse and you kill two birds with one stone opening up a roster spot. 

Jenius!!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I want to ask Lionel and Sheehan and all the Brisket defenders who wanted him to start over Howell how they feel now. They were so certain we're were wasting a year and Howell couldn't be the guy. It was frustrating to listen to. 

Sheehan is frustrating to listen to.

Actually, he was frustrating to listen to.  So I stopped listening.  Maybe he’s better now.  I doubt it, but I allow for the possibility given I haven’t listened in months.  Maybe I’ll give his podcast a listen today.  Does he have Cooley on for film reviews anymore?

Hopefully Sam will learn to keep chucking it to Terry knowing that there's a good chance the results will be good. And Terry may need to keep reminding him of that. 

Also, how bout sending Samuel deep some more to keep defenses honest? 

Funniest moment of the game had to be the crossing route we tried and the receivers collided? Good idea, needs more work. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sheehan is frustrating to listen to.

Actually, he was frustrating to listen to.  So I stopped listening.  Maybe he’s better now.  I doubt it, but I allow for the possibility given I haven’t listened in months.  Maybe I’ll give his podcast a listen today.  Does he have Cooley on for film reviews anymore?

He’s going to be disingenuous and claim he never actually said what he was implying (his official line was something along the lines of “we don’t know what we have in him”).

What makes it disingenuous on his part is that he very rarely had good things to say about him in the offseason. It was 95% questioning him, mainly with the lazy analysis of how Day 3 guys do as starters vs his actual game. Standig is another **** I could care less about listening to.

Keim handled it perfectly all offseason, fairly discussing both the positives and things to watch out for

Sheehan's a sharp guy and offers good analysis, but he's also a fan and like many fans chooses strange hills to die on. Remember this is the same guy who STILL vouches for Sam Darnold. Sam Darnold! He actually predicted a few weeks ago he thought Darnold would end up being the starting QB for the 49ers at some point this year and not because of injury either.

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

In hindsight, we probably should have traded up in 2021 to get Fields and pass up on Davis, Cosmi, Dotson, and Robinson.  /s

That 2022 trade down is looking incredible right now. Not gonna lie at the time I hated passing up on Olave(and other guys like Kyle Hamilton)but we got Dotson, Robinson, AND Howell out of that trade. Looking like at the very least, average to above average starting QB and RB and above average with elite potential WR for an above average with elite potential WR. Heck of a haul and coup by Rivera and Mayhew et al.

11 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

In hindsight, we probably should have traded up in 2021 to get Fields and pass up on Davis, Cosmi, Dotson, and Robinson.  /s

The guy I would have traded up for is Parsons or Surtain jr. Fields was a bust from day 1 and I can't believe more people didn't see it. He literally can't read defenses or run actual passing offense. But he can run a fast 40!!

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That 2022 trade down is looking incredible right now. Not gonna lie at the time I hated passing up on Olave(and other guys like Kyle Hamilton)but we got Dotson, Robinson, AND Howell out of that trade. Looking like at the very least, average to above average starting QB and RB and above average with elite potential WR for an above average with elite potential WR. Heck of a haul and coup by Rivera and Mayhew et al.

The guy I would have traded up for is Parsons or Surtain jr. Fields was a bust from day 1 and I can't believe more people didn't see it. He literally can't read defenses or run actual passing offense. But he can run a fast 40!!

Exactly correct. Fields was flashy in college, just like Dwayne was (may he rest in peace). When was the last time a Ohio State QB (can't say Joe Burrow because he transferred to LSU) actually did something in the NFL? Joe Germaine I think and he only won a ring because he was backing up to kurt warner lol

Edited by Tress Is The Way

22 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Exactly correct. Fields was flashy in college, just like Dwayne was (may he rest in peace). When was the last time a Ohio State QB (can't say Joe Burrow because he transferred to LSU) actually did something in the NFL? Joe Germaine I think and he only won a ring because he was backing up to kurt warner lol

Everyone wants super athletes but you have to be able to process information quickly and make NFL throws.

Howell is already a better passer than Fields.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

CJ Stroud has more 300+ yards passing games that Justin Fields and he's only played in two games.  I will never understand why people are still pretending that Fields is going to magically turn it around.  I'm so glad we drafted Howell when you look at how terrible other options are.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Everyone wants super athletes but you have to be able to process information quickly and make NFL throws.

Here's a list of QB's from the 21 and 22 drafts....judge for yourself on where Howell would fit based on all of their performances so far:

Lawrence, Z. Wilson, Lance, Fields, Mac Jones, Trask, Mond, Davis Mills, Book, Ehlinger, Pickett, Ridder, Willis, Corral, Zappe, Howell, Oladokum, Skylar Thompson, Purdy.

Of all of them you could argue that Howell would rank in the top 5 and maybe even higher depending on what you think of Fields, Pickett and Mac Jones. Howell might have the best package of skills out of each of them all things considered. It's too early to crown him but Sam is showing signs of having a bright future.

Edited by kingdaddy
clean up