Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I read this morning that Indy has a rookie QB working with the first team. I wonder if Heinicke has any reasonable trade value.

I don't think so Tim. He's a system guy. That's why he was on Ron's speed dial last yet. Frank Reich has no connection to him. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:53 AM, SonnySideUp said:

hinglemccringleberry says:

As a Miami fan I am going to tell all you Skins fans, you are going to LOVE the energy and leadership that crazy legs Fitz brings to your team. He is a class act and an incredible teammate.

I am not a Miami fan but live in that neck of the woods and I am around plenty of Dolphin fans including my parents.  Yeah Fitz should be a lot of fun.  According to the beat guys, he's having a good camp and had a big edge for the job over Heinicke at the moment.  Will see what happens in the pre season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Perhaps, but I don't think being in the right system is why so many round the league fell in love with him during the playoffs.

Do you think he has trade value and that the Colts would trade for him? Consider the reports throughout training camp that he has struggled. 

6 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Do you think he has trade value and that the Colts would trade for him? Consider the reports throughout training camp that he has struggled. 

1) Don't really care about his trade value, to be honest lol...my thoughts centered around him being a system QB

2) I think there's a difference between knowing the system and being a system QB

3) If he does have trade value, it won't be based on reports from beat writers from camp

• Thanks 1

I have zero doubt that Fitzpatrick is going to win this "competition" and be the opening day starter.  However, I am genuinely more curious as to what is going to happen if there's a stretch of 3-4 mediocre to terrible play out of him during the season if Ron will pull the trigger and bench him for Heinicke.  I think this is going to happen.  However, whether or not Heinicke will remain the starter comes down to how well he plays in relief and (obviously) his health.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I have zero doubt that Fitzpatrick is going to win this "competition" and be the opening day starter.  However, I am genuinely more curious as to what is going to happen if there's a stretch of 3-4 mediocre to terrible play out of him during the season if Ron will pull the trigger and bench him for Heinicke.  I think this is going to happen.  However, whether or not Heinicke will remain the starter comes down to how well he plays in relief and (obviously) his health.  

I still think Fitz would have to have a series of really bad outings and/or Heinicke would have to kill it in preseason games for Rivera to bench Fitz. 1 or 2 subpar games won't do it IMO.

I'm sure Ron and Co. are fully aware of who Fitz is and the kind of playing style he has. He's going to take some chances and put the ball in the air a fair amount and let guys make plays. That's almost inevitably going to result in some INTs because he doesn't have the kind of insane arm or accuracy that a guy like Rodgers has where he's very aggressive but still hardly throws any picks.

They wouldn't have gone out and targeted Fitz as their main FA without being cognizant of all of that. He has definitely been better the last couple of seasons but I doubt the coaches are under any illusion that he's going to magically turn into a 10:2 TD:INT guy.

• Thumb up 1

As long as Fitz is healthy he will be the starter.  He is getting older and making it through the entire season might be too much to ask, but he looks pretty sturdy so I give him pretty good odds.  Taylor, who reminds me in style as a young Fitz, can step in without changing anything.  Neither is are franchise QB, that quest starts again next year.

• Like 1

If the defense is as good as we are hoping, Fitz is going to have some leeway with his play.  More opportunities to push the ball downfield.  Maybe take a couple more chances per game than normal.

The thing is we also know the ceiling on Fitz and that there is def going to be Good Fitz/Bad Fitz situations.  That is just how it is, it's what comes with the guy as the starting QB.  It is going to be about how well the team around him performs to help minimize the bad Fitz stretches.

• Like 2

Over on reddit, Dolphins fans are pretty much saying what has been said about Fitzpatrick his entire career, he will have a game that makes him look like a hall of famer, and then have one where he looks like someone signed off of the street.  And there are going to be games on the line where this happens:

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If the defense is as good as we are hoping, Fitz is going to have some leeway with his play.  More opportunities to push the ball downfield.  Maybe take a couple more chances per game than normal.

The thing is we also know the ceiling on Fitz and that there is def going to be Good Fitz/Bad Fitz situations.  That is just how it is, it's what comes with the guy as the starting QB.  It is going to be about how well the team around him performs to help minimize the bad Fitz stretches.

Recall a quote recently saying, in effect, Fitzpatrick knows this is a different team than he’s used to (in terms of the defense) and so will adjust the risks he takes.  I don’t know if this is true, but I also think you’re right that he’ll recognize he can take chances down the field.  My hope is that he’ll balance that with the short throws to the flats and underneath.  In other words, take fewer risks, play more of a ball control and field position style, while still taking calculated risks/chances down field.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Recall a quote recently saying, in effect, Fitzpatrick knows this is a different team than he’s used to (in terms of the defense) and so will adjust the risks he takes.  I don’t know if this is true, but I also think you’re right that he’ll recognize he can take chances down the field.  My hope is that he’ll balance that with the short throws to the flats and underneath.  In other words, take fewer risks, play more of a ball control and field position style, while still taking calculated risks/chances down field.

Yep and I think there is a good chance that the first month of the season is going to be exactly that Fitz feeling out the process, learning more about his new teammates, and figuring out who he can trust with the jump balls, who he can trust to break off routes and come back to the ball when he is under duress etc etc etc.....all things that take time when you are a QB of a new team plus a lot of the talent on offense is young themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Over on reddit, Dolphins fans are pretty much saying what has been said about Fitzpatrick his entire career, he will have a game that makes him look like a hall of famer, and then have one where he looks like someone signed off of the street. 

Add to it that he is playing for this spazzy organization and he could very well have his worst year ever.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

but I also think you’re right that he’ll recognize he can take chances down the field.

We all seem to subscribe to the idea that he will reign it in b/c of the better support system around him... but what if the inverse is true.

My walking nightmare is what if, since he has a squad that can reliably cover a mistake here or there, he chooses to go F-it, and make every pass a minimum of 30 yds.

He would be the new poster boy of the fan club:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1205437069/fuck_itAVY_400x400.jpg

J/K

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:12 AM, Califan007 said:

Perhaps, but I don't think being in the right system is why so many round the league fell in love with him during the playoffs.

Why would we want to trade Heinicke? He's cheap, knows the system and the team likes playing with him. I thought he looked good last night. I posted earlier this same question but about Kyle Allen? Would the Colts have interest in him? Now that Wentz is projected to be back I doubt it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Why would we want to trade Heinicke? He's cheap, knows the system and the team likes playing with him. I thought he looked good last night. I posted earlier this same question but about Kyle Allen? Would the Colts have interest in him? Now that Wentz is projected to be back I doubt it. 

Depends on the offer. Someone offers a couple of firsts, I think we're packing his bags for him. Now, I doubt someone will make that kind of offer, but teams fall in love and overpay for QBs all the time. We're the only one that seems to want to give them away for nothing.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I think we're falling into the trap of massively overestimating the value of some of our players. Kyle Allen only netted a 5th rounder as a unremarkable but proven "decent" NFL QB, and that was before he had a major season ending ankle injury that's still sidelining him. Nobody is giving up anything for him.

I can't see us getting any more than a 6th or 7th for Heinicke, if that. Maybe there's a coach out there somewhere who watched him vs Tampa and is infatuated with his potential, but even then I can't see an offer above a 5th.

• Like 1

They did sign Heinicke first. Clearly they view him as competent.

Next, they get Fitzpatrick for $10M + incentives. 

Last, they don't add anyone else.

Clearly, if Fitz isn't consistently giving them a chance to win the game, Heinicke is going to play.

My intuition feels like since RR is fair, Fitzpatrick already knows what time it is. He is likely understanding that he doesn't have to play looking over his shoulder #1.  #2 he must play good situational football and not make poor decisions on the wrong side of the field.  With a stout D, an INT between the opponent's 20-40 yard line is likely equal to any given punt.  #3 the first instance where Fitz makes RR regret signing him, Heinicke will be on the field.  I'm pretty sure they've had or will have this sort of conversation.  I'm not saying he's on a short leash, however I am pointing out that I do feel like this is the sort of understanding that I'd expect would take place.  Since it's a competitive preseason, this sort of thing might be reinforced at the point where RR closes the door on the competition phase.