Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We all seem to subscribe to the idea that he will reign it in b/c of the better support system around him... but what if the inverse is true.

My walking nightmare is what if, since he has a squad that can reliably cover a mistake here or there, he chooses to go F-it, and make every pass a minimum of 30 yds.

He would be the new poster boy of the fan club:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1205437069/fuck_itAVY_400x400.jpg

J/K

Unleash the Dragon!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, TheShredder said:

#2 he must play good situational football and not make poor decisions on the wrong side of the field. 

I think this is it. Many defensive minded coaches enjoy the predictability of conservative QB play.  It will be interesting if Fitz remains the smart vet when the action heats up. Unpredictable QB play, poor time of possession, and a bad loss or two will mean a QB change. 

Edited by Leonard Washington

On 8/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, FootballZombie said:

We all seem to subscribe to the idea that he will reign it in b/c of the better support system around him... but what if the inverse is true.

My walking nightmare is what if, since he has a squad that can reliably cover a mistake here or there, he chooses to go F-it, and make every pass a minimum of 30 yds.

He would be the new poster boy of the fan club:

Well truth is, Sexy Rexy made it to the SB with the Bears.

I'm fine going to the SB with Fitz doing is best Sexy Rexy impersonation all year long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well truth is, Sexy Rexy made it to the SB with the Bears.

I'm fine going to the SB with Fitz doing is best Sexy Rexy impersonation all year long.

True, though I think Fitz is more accurate than Sexy Rexy and just a better overall QB by a fair amount.

The Sex Cannon just let it fly, regardless of where it might end up. Leading receivers? That's for *******. Throwing to a spot? Only assholes care about that. Back shoulder? What the **** language is that?

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mistertim said:

True, though I think Fitz is more accurate than Sexy Rexy and just a better overall QB by a fair amount.

The Sex Cannon just let it fly, regardless of where it might end up. Leading receivers? That's for *******. Throwing to a spot? Only assholes care about that. Back shoulder? What the **** language is that?

That's exactly my idea of it.

If Fitz can play decently enough to get us there, we have a good chance of winning it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah any article that questions our QB situation (which is a legit thing to have questions about) but then goes on to drop names like Sam Darnold and Cam Newton as guys we should have gone after is going to mostly be ignored by me.

Though I will say it might have been worth picking up Darnold just to see how absolutely ape**** @Skinsinparadisewould have gone.  :ols:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Opinion: Washington's decision to ride with Ryan Fitzpatrick among NFL offseason's biggest potential mistakes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5580816001

This guy comes across as a Jets fan that betted heavily for them to go to the playoffs during the Fitzpatrick year and is upset that nobody gave up a first rounder for Darnold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Opinion: Washington's decision to ride with Ryan Fitzpatrick among NFL offseason's biggest potential mistakes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5580816001

If the plan is to stick with Fitzpatrick this year, while drafting our future QB next offseason or trading for a franchise QB, I don't see it as a potential mistake.  It's the people in the fanbase, and the pundits who are hyping us as contenders that are going to turn this into a mistake if Fitzpatrick stumbles.  This is an 8-9 win team, and potentially a division winner, but that's all they are.  Anyone expecting WFT to be a 11 win team and an NFC Championship team or greater, is deluding themselves.  We don't have the QB's on our roster capable of making this team a contender.  We will either draft a rookie this coming offseason, or trade for a high profile QB.  Once we do, then we will officially be on the clock as an NFC contender.

Edited by samy316

Just now, samy316 said:

If the plan is to stick with Fitzpatrick this year, while drafting our future QB next offseason or trading for a franchise QB, I don't see it as a potential mistake.  It's the people in the fanbase, and the pundits who are hyping us as contenders that are going to turn this into a mistake if Fitzpatrick stumbles.  This is an 8-9 win team, and potentially a division winner, but that's all they are.  Anyone expecting WFT to be a 11 win team and an NFC Championship team or greater, is deluding themselves.  We don't have the QB's on our roster capable of making this team a contender.  We will either draft a rookie in the coming offseason, or trade for a high profile QB.  Once we do, then we will officially be on the clock as an NFC contender.

The issue is as an 8-9 win team you have a slim to none shot at drafting a good QB prospect especially in a weak class. They’re just doomed to mediocrity at this point because of their decision to punt on the position and draft Jamin.

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

The issue is as an 8-9 win team you have a slim to none shot at drafting a good QB prospect especially in a weak class. They’re just doomed to mediocrity at this point because of their decision to punt on the position and draft Jamin.

Didn't the bears have the 20th pick in the draft this year?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I agree that we're in that no-man's land of draft slots.  If we're an 8-9 win team, then we're picking no earlier than 15 or 16.  If we win the division at that record, then we might be picking at 19-20 like last year, which would be worst case scenario.  I personally would've traded up to 8 or 9 in the last draft to get Fields.  If Fields kills it with Chicago, we're going to regret not pulling the trigger.  We're almost forced then to trade for a high-level QB, but the question is, would Rodgers, Wilson or Watson even want to come here?  We're in a quandary until we get the QB position fixed.  That's why I'm not expecting much beyond possibly winning the division this year.  If Fitz has a bad year, and Heinecke can't do anything if he sees playing time, it might not be the worst thing in the world if we win 6 games or less.  Makes it easier for us to draft a franchise QB the higher we pick.

Edited by samy316

15 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

It's impossible to tell if it's a weak class.  There's a chance anywhere from 2-5 QB's go in the first round next draft.

Last year nobody thought Zach Wilson would be a first rounder.  Previous year, nobody thought Joe Burrow would be.  Year before that, nobody thought Kyler Murray would be.

So much changes for QB draft value every college season.

All we know now is that Rattler, Willis, Corral, Strong, and Howell have the best chances to play themselves into or out of the 1st round. (According to TheAthletic) That list doesn't include the come out of nowhere college season to land in the 1st round that happens in every draft.

Maybe none or maybe most of that list profile as better prospects than someone we could've traded for in Mac Jones.  But it's impossible to say right now, as history always indicates draft value will still fluctuate wildly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yeah any article that questions our QB situation (which is a legit thing to have questions about) but then goes on to drop names like Sam Darnold and Cam Newton as guys we should have gone after is going to mostly be ignored by me.

Though I will say it might have been worth picking up Darnold just to see how absolutely ape**** @Skinsinparadisewould have gone.  :ols:

Yeah I'd add sports writers are predictable on this topic.

A.  The young QB who has failed elsewhere will strike gold somewhere else theory.  You tend to have a vocal group who believes that.  Remember a few years ago any team that would get Josh Rosen from the Cards would be a genius and Rosen would be the top pick or top 3 in that upcoming draft according to them if he was up again.  Nonsense like that.  Same stuff we heard about Darnold from some within the media this off season.  Will see.

B.  Any team that traded up in the draft for a QB killed it.  Almost every team gets lauded for it.  As we did in 2012.  Clearly these climbs don't always work out.

I like Fields, I'd have traded up for him.  I liked Jones too.  But Jones didn't fall to their pick like he did for the Pats.  And it likely wouild have cost a fortune to trade up to the top 10 -- so if it didn't work out with Fields it would set the franchise back.

I posted this elsewhere.  Great article from Mike Silver, who is close with Ron that gives a window into their off season QB thinking, lot of gossip in that article

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's impossible to tell if it's a weak class.  There's a chance anywhere from 2-5 QB's go in the first round next draft.

Last year nobody thought Zach Wilson would be a first rounder.  Previous year, nobody thought Joe Burrow would be.  Year before that, nobody thought Kyler Murray would be.

All we know now is that Rattler, Willis, Corral, Strong, and Howell have the best chances to play themselves into or out of the 1st round. (According to TheAthletic) That list doesn't include the come out of nowhere college season to land in the 1st round that happens in every draft.

Maybe none or maybe most of that list profile as better prospects than someone we could've traded for in Mac Jones.  But it's impossible to say right now, as history always indicates draft value will still fluctuate wildly.

Yep.  Exactly.  Kyler Murray came out of nowhere.  Heck arguably Mac Jones came out of nowhere too -- he was a well known player but he didn't have hype as a first round prospect type at the beginning of that college season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The problem with that though, is that you listed 4 of the top rated QB’s from the next draft class.  If one or more of them becomes a draft darling, we’re not going to be able to have the draft capital necessary to move up via trades.  Philly and NYG both are in a better position to move up in the ‘22 draft, because they have multiple 1st round picks (we don’t), and both teams have an awful QB situation (like us).  We’re not in a great position to draft a rookie QB next year.  It’s why we should’ve pulled the trigger this past draft.  Now we’re kind of forced to go the free agent route or trade route, and there’s no guarantee that A-Rod, Russ or DeShaun would want to willingly be traded here.  We’re competing with Denver, Minnesota, Philly, NYG and Miami for a franchise QB this off-season.  We’d be last on those QB’s list as far as those list of destinations go.  We already had one highly touted free agent QB ghost is this past offseason (Stafford).  He didn’t even have us in his top 3 destinations to be traded to.  What makes you think other QB’s would consider us in the future?

Edited by samy316

IMO we should stop thinking about Wilson, Watson and even Rodgers coming here for multiple reasons.

The first two have no-trade clauses in their contracts which means they get final say in where they go. There were leaks about both players' short list of acceptable destinations and WFT wasn't on either. Of course leaks should certainly be taken with a grain of salt, but I don't find it implausible that we're not really on anyone's short list of desired destinations. Now that could potentially change if we have a good season and appear to be a QB away from winning it all...but then that brings up the compensation issue below.

As far as Rodgers, he doesn't have a no-trade clause but I find it highly unlikely that GB would deal him in-house to another NFC team. In addition, Rodgers is also the kind of dude who I could see making noise publicly about who he would or wouldn't play for and saying he'd refuse to play if traded to a team he didn't want to go to.

Another issue is compensation. Unless we have a horrible season and somehow end up with a top top 3 pick, there will be plenty of teams with more draft capital to spend. Add to that if any of those guys get traded before the draft, multiple teams have 2 1st round picks in 2021 including the Eagles and Giants.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

The problem with that though, is that you listed 4 of the top rated QB’s from the next draft class.  If one or more of them becomes a draft darling, we’re not going to be able to have the draft capital necessary to move up via trades.  Philly and NYG both are in a better position to move up in the ‘22 draft, because they have multiple 1st round picks (we don’t), and both teams have an awful QB situation (like us).  We’re not in a great position to draft a rookie QB next year.  It’s why we should’ve pulled the trigger this past draft.  Now we’re kind of forced to go the free agent route or trade route, and there’s no guarantee that A-Rod, Russ or DeShaun would want to willingly be traded here.  We’re competing with Denver, Minnesota, Philly, NYG and Miami for a franchise QB this off-season.  We’d be last on those QB’s list as far as those list of destinations go.  We already had one highly touted free agent QB ghost is this past offseason (Stafford).  He didn’t even have us in his top 3 destinations to be traded to.  What makes you think other QB’s would consider us in the future?

If we perform well as a team and show progress people will want to play here.  The other end of that is who fits the profile RR desires in players?  We now (seemingly) have a strong respected front office.  it makes a huge difference.  I think you can reverse your hypothesis/thinking a bit to ask yourself who fits Ron?  We will be able to get players and become a more desirable location in the future, or at least that feels like the momentum currently.  just my opinion mind you. 

7 hours ago, samy316 said:

Now Minny may move on from Kirk in 22 but they would have to absorb his guaranteed contract. He's guaranteed 35 million in 22 and I think his cap number is 45 million.  Vikings may be stuck with him next year.

I didn’t like what I saw from Fitz this preseason and I was pretty bullish on his signing. There were too many mistakes costing points and he did not seem to handle pressure well at all. Moreover, he doesn’t have the wheels to get himself out of trouble. Am I alone in this thinking?

3 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

I didn’t like what I saw from Fitz this preseason and I was pretty bullish on his signing. There were too many mistakes costing points and he did not seem to handle pressure well at all. Moreover, he doesn’t have the wheels to get himself out of trouble. Am I alone in this thinking?

The one thing I have no clue about (ok, there's a ****load I have no clue about lol...I meant have no clue about when it comes to Fitz). Anyway, the thing I have no clue about when it comes to Fitzpatrick is how does he usually play in the peseason? I don't know. Maybe what we saw this preseason falls exactly in line with how he has played in the last 5 preseasons. Honestly, I didn't care enough to go look lol...none of our QBs looked very sharp, so just going into the season with fingers crossed and optimism.