Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

39 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I'll be the guy adding Fitz to my fantasy team

Yup, can be had in last few rounds, a lot of upside for that spot.  I am surprised to see some of the names listed above Fitz in fantasy rankings.  I have an advantage too being in a different market, Fitz will fly under the radar in my leagues.  In 2012 when I got Alfred Morris late was probably my best pick for a skin flying under the radar.  That one will be tough to beat.

Scot turner has a huge opportunity this year.  If we are healthy, we have a variety of weapons and no glaring weak link anywhere on offense.   Fitz could end up with some solid numbers if everyone plays their role and the ball is spread around.  Can't wait to watch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Scot turner has a huge opportunity this year.  If we are healthy, we have a variety of weapons and no glaring weak link anywhere on offense.   Fitz could end up with some solid numbers if everyone plays their role and the ball is spread around.  Can't wait to watch.

I'm more concerned with Turner than I am with Fitz. Fitz has been playing well the last couple of seasons, and even if he ends up being merely average, that's an improvement over last season. Turner is the bigger unknown quantity. How good will be his play calling now that we have a QB who's more than willing to throw it deep and more targets for him to pass to? 

8 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I'm more concerned with Turner than I am with Fitz. Fitz has been playing well the last couple of seasons, and even if he ends up being merely average, that's an improvement over last season. Turner is the bigger unknown quantity. How good will be his play calling now that we have a QB who's more than willing to throw it deep and more targets for him to pass to? 

Scot turner is probably our biggest x factor this year.  I'm confident in the players ability on both sides of the ball, and I'm confident in the defensive scheme / coaching staff, but Scot turner I'm still unsure of.  No doubt we have enough talent and complementary pieces to have an efficient offense.   Can turner apply his scheme and call plays efficiently?  That will make or break our season imo.

Turner has called 21 games and never had an offseason with his new team. We had only 1 WR that was drafted most of the year and questions at first year positions like TE and RB. 3 QBs started and 2 are probably out of the league. The other might be our QB3.

We completely reloaded the offensive roster and Turner gets an offseason to coach. I think there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am still waiting for Turner to use Gibson in the passing game haha

I won't hold my breath any longer that we have upgraded at WR though.

Gibson being more involved in the passing game has been maybe the bigger mantra of training camp so sounds like its coming.  Turner definitely not shy about using the RB in the passing game considering what happened in Carolina and McKissic here.  So if he can stay healthy I think Gibson has a monster season.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:23 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Gibson being more involved in the passing game has been maybe the bigger mantra of training camp so sounds like its coming.  Turner definitely not shy about using the RB in the passing game considering what happened in Carolina and McKissic here.  So if he can stay healthy I think Gibson has a monster season.

I would love to see Turner change it up. Use him heavy one week, force the D to adjust and then use him as a decoy. I hope he gets a lot more targets but will be happy with an extra 1 or 2 per game #ReasonableExpectations. RR and Scottie will still love them some JDMcK in the passing game. 

And of course Babar in short yardage.

31bff953-4ef0-4b0c-bec9-c77968631e18_tex

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:41 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Turner has called 21 games and never had an offseason with his new team. We had only 1 WR that was drafted most of the year and questions at first year positions like TE and RB. 3 QBs started and 2 are probably out of the league. The other might be our QB3.

We completely reloaded the offensive roster and Turner gets an offseason to coach. I think there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic. 

Thank you, you saved me the trouble lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CPOE still isn't a perfect way to measure a quarterback...

I think I'd agree with that assessment of a statistic that appears to rank Brady #23 and Mahomes #25. Was it invented by Fitz's mom? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gotta read what the stat is supposed to measure.  Mahomes' targets were more frequently open than Fitpatrick's so its harder for him to perform much higher over expected if that's the case.

Edit:  And how this can be interpreted matters as well.  Seems to me it implies Fitzpatrick is unafraid to give covered receivers a shot, and he performs well when doing so.  It could also indicate that maybe he isn't identifying the most open target at the same time.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 11:25 PM, zskins said:

They are paying Fitz 10 mil. Pretty sure he gets the start. 

I was catching up on this thread, saw these comments of paying Fitz $10 million to be a backup and got curious about top salaries for backup QBs. I found an article on top backups and looked up their contracts. My conclusion: Paying Fitzpatrick $10M to be a top level backup is pretty much in line with what the league is doing. Rivera promised a competition. Now all we have to do is wait to see who starts and who is the backup. Let the games begin!

TOP BACKUP QUARTERBACK 2021 ANNUAL SALARIES

1.     TREY LANCE*                         $34.1M FOR 4 YRS W/$22M SIGNING BONUS

2.     JIMMY GAROPPOLO*           $24.1M W/$74.1M GUARANTEED

3.     JUSTIN FIELDS**                   $18.9M FOR 4 YRS W/11.1M SIGNING BONUS

4.     ANDY DALTON**                    $10M W/$7M SIGNING BONUS

5.     TEDDY BRIDGEWATER         $11.5M

6.     JACOBY BRISSETT               $5M

7.     CASE KEENUM                       $18M FOR 3 YRS W/$4M BONUS & $10M GUARANTEED

8.     TYROD TAYLOR                     $5.5M W/2.5M SIGNING BONUS

9.     JORDAN LOVE                       $12.4 FOR 4 YRS W/$6.6M SIGNING BONUS

10.  MARCUS MARIOTA                $3.5M W/$1.75M SIGNING BONUS

11.  MAC JONES***                       $15.6M FOR 4 YRS W/$8.7M SIGNING BONUS

12.  CAM NEWTON***                   $5.1M W/$2M SIGNING BONUS $3.5M GUARANTEED

Average Salary                                $7.9M

Average Signing Bonus                  $5.8M

TOTAL                     $13.7

*One of these two will be the backup for the 49ers

**One of these two will be the backup for the Bears

***One of these two will be the backup for the Patriots

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

Damn that is some good insight there. Can you please PM tomorrows lotto numbers. :D

There's no need for that. Besides, he emailed me the lotto numbers last week and they hit.

Fitz has the potential to be a great story. Really, his survival in the league already makes him one. Heinike also could be a great story. What's really interesting to me is the answer to this question--

In today's NFL, if you have a top defense how far can you go with the best back up QB in the league as your starter. To me, that's the question we are asking.

Edited by Borgold
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, Borgold said:

There's no need for that. Besides, he emailed me the lotto numbers last week and they hit.

Fitz has the potential to be a great story. Really, his survival in the league already makes him one. Heinike also could be a great story. What's really interesting to me is the answer to this question--

In today's NFL, if you have a top defense how far can you go with the best back up QB in the league as your starter. To me, that's the question we are asking.

Personally, I would like to see Heinicke as the starter.  He was so impressive in the playoff game against Tampa Bay.  I don't think Fitz is going to be as good as Heinicke at this stage in his career.  And I think Heinicke can be a lot more than just a serviceable backup QB.  He just seems to have really good instincts.

Edited by jnhutchi3
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’ll be picking top 5 if that happens

Since his statement was "TH finishes the season", and durability seems to be a bigger concern for TH than performance thus far (in his very small sample size), I'd be confident we make the playoffs if TH takes over and stays healthy.   I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, it's just funny the wide range of expectations of a TH led team from the fanbase. 

I believe in Fitz and hope he earns the job without any second guessing, but I admit I would be very intrigued and optimistic if TH takes over at some point whether it be due to injury or poor performance.

hinglemccringleberry says:

As a Miami fan I am going to tell all you Skins fans, you are going to LOVE the energy and leadership that crazy legs Fitz brings to your team. He is a class act and an incredible teammate.

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2