Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

0:58 Mark - The no look (kinda)

1:29 Mark - Immediately reacts to the pressure, dumps it off to the open back and goes down to help block. That **** is boss!!! And it get your teammates behind. **** Montae up btw. Smh.

Going to be an exciting year on the offense. No doubt about it. The playbook is going to be fully open. 11 man with sub 4.3 speedsters at every skill position. **** outta here! 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, TheShredder said:

I watched the 2015 NY Jets season where Fitz had his best year going 10-6.  I can say that the Jets D was top 10.  Fitz had his best games where they ran the ball well.  They would lose where Fitz threw 2 or more INTs.  The majority of games Fitz is going to toss at least 1 INT.  However, when his TD:INT ratio was 2:1 or better they'd win.  Almost a kiss of death with that second pick.  By the numbers, if you have a good D, add a running game, and Fitz throws 2 TDs to any INT, then they should win 10+ games.  I'm not going through other seasons because he was never QB1 with a Defense better than the 2015 Jets who were ranked 9th. 

Lets hope 6 additional years in the league brings that analytic down. Because this defense will be prominent. They were actually a scoring defense last year. If they do the same this year, I'm recording every ****ing game. 

• Like 4

"I didn’t walk out into the sweltering heat, that was a nice change up. Woke up, saw some deer in the backyard. It was almost out of a Disney movie or something." The 38-year-old quarterback showed up to practice all smiles and flexing for the first time in Burgundy and Gold, eager to see what this team is made of and what it can be. He shared his first impressions which included the energy surrounding the team, and what gets him excited for the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's only been about two months since Fitzpatrick joined the Washington Football Team, and his teammates are already gravitating towards him, according to head coach Ron Rivera. He has a simple goal for himself as the team rolls through OTAs: build up the trust and communication between himself and his teammates.

Fitzpatrick strives to do that with every team, and it tends to work out for the 16-year veteran. But why is that so important to him? It's all about getting the best possible results on the field.

"When that communication gets crisp and gets quicker," Fitzpatrick said after practice, "you play faster and that puts a lot of pressure on the defense."

Getting to know his teammates better is Fitzpatrick's favorite part of joining a new team. He normally would be able to sit with them in the cafeteria and talk about their lives off the field, but with the NFL still working under COVID-19 protocols, that option has been taken away. So, that means the interactions he has in the huddle, during stretches and walking off the field with his teammates gets magnified.

"A lot of it is just getting to know guys and making sure that they know I'm here and I'm trying to earn their respect and I'm working hard every single day," Fitzpatrick said in March. "That formula for me has worked pretty much everywhere I've been."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turner likely has the two QBs that work best for his offensive scheme.  Clearly night and day contrast from a year ago.  Turner's scheme is supposed to push the ball down field.  Last year Haskins didn't have the knowledge, nor wisdom to be capable of running the scheme.  He had no clue about reading pre-snap defenses, nor any ability to throw the ball anyway but on a line.  There was no anticipation throwing guys open.  Alex Smith basically refused to take chances unless they were playing from behind, which isn't how Turner's scheme works.  The idea of having fast and dynamic guys coming out of the backfield is supposed to create more one-on-one WR match-ups.  If your QB can't see those favorable match-ups and anticipate that advantage or refuse to take advantage of it then the scheme is inefficient.  I view the opportunity for Turner's scheme to reach it's potential this year as favorable. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Turner likely has the two QBs that work best for his offensive scheme.  Clearly night and day contrast from a year ago.  Turner's scheme is supposed to push the ball down field.  Last year Haskins didn't have the knowledge, nor wisdom to be capable of running the scheme.  He had no clue about reading pre-snap defenses, nor any ability to throw the ball anyway but on a line.  There was no anticipation throwing guys open.  Alex Smith basically refused to take chances unless they were playing from behind, which isn't how Turner's scheme works.  The idea of having fast and dynamic guys coming out of the backfield is supposed to create more one-on-one WR match-ups.  If your QB can't see those favorable match-ups and anticipate that advantage or refuse to take advantage of it then the scheme is inefficient.  I view the opportunity for Turner's scheme to reach it's potential this year as favorable. 

I hope so.

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This year will be crazy with RB threats on film. Defenses will have to respect AG, Samuels and McKissic coming out of the backfield. It kinda makes for up to 5 WR to cover on a given formation. How do they defend if you have good OL play, a QB with experience and a OC looking to attack defenses? 🤔

Not sure if this was mentioned already (most likely was, but oh well lol), but with all the talk about this arguably being the best all-around team Fitzpatrick has played on (emphasis on "arguably"), what tends to get overlooked is Ron Rivera will be the strongest, most experienced and most accomplished head coach he's ever played for, and it's not even close:

List of head coaches Fitzpatrick has played under, and the NFL head coaching experience and success each had prior to Fitz playing for them:

(bold text = rookie head coach or interim head coach)

2005: Mike Martz - 5 years of head coaching experience including a SB appearance in 2001; Fitz was only on the roster for 5 games under Martz

2005: Joe Vitt - rookie interim head coach when Mike Martz had to leave coaching the Rams due to illness after 5 games

2006: Scott Linehan - rookie head coach

2007-2008: Marvin Lewis - 4 years of head coaching experience, made the playoffs once

2009: Dick Jauron - 9 years of head coach experience, only had one season with a winning record

2009: Perry Fewell - rookie interim head coach when Dick Jauron was fired mid-season

2010-2012: Chan Gailey - 2 years experience as head coach with the Cowboys in the late 90s

2013: Mike Munchak - 2 yrs experience coaching the Titans, had one winning season

2014: Bill O'brien - rookie head coach

2015-2016: Todd Bowles - rookie head coach (outside of 5 games as interim head coach back in 2011)

2017-2018: Dirk Koetter - 1 year of head coaching experience

2019-2020: Brian Flores - rookie head coach

2021: Ron Rivera - 10 years of head coaching experience, 5 playoff appearances including one SB appearance

Mike Martz had a better win-loss percentage, but not the length of head coaching experience.

Dick Jauron had almost the same length of head coaching experience,  but nothing close to the same success or win percentage.

Of the remaining 10 coaches on that list, six of them were either interim head coaches or rookie head coaches. The list of head coaches Fitzpatrick has had to play under is almost as bad as the list of QBs Terry Mclaurin has had to play under lol...

Fitz is 38 now but if he really has been playing the best football of his career over the last 2-3 years, maybe being paired up with a head coach like Rivera will allow that trend to continue or even get better.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned already (most likely was, but oh well lol), but with all the talk about this arguably being the best all-around team Fitzpatrick has played on (emphasis on "arguably"), what tends to get overlooked is Ron Rivera will be the strongest, most experienced and most accomplished head coach he's ever played for, and it's not even close:

List of head coaches Fitzpatrick has played under, and the NFL head coaching experience and success each had prior to Fitz playing for them:

(bold text = rookie head coach or interim head coach)

2005: Mike Martz - 5 years of head coaching experience including a SB appearance in 2001; Fitz was only on the roster for 5 games under Martz

2005: Joe Vitt - rookie interim head coach when Mike Martz had to leave coaching the Rams due to illness after 5 games

2006: Scott Linehan - rookie head coach

2007-2008: Marvin Lewis - 4 years of head coaching experience, made the playoffs once

2009: Dick Jauron - 9 years of head coach experience, only had one season with a winning record

2009: Perry Fewell - rookie interim head coach when Dick Jauron was fired mid-season

2010-2012: Chan Gailey - 2 years experience as head coach with the Cowboys in the late 90s

2013: Mike Munchak - 2 yrs experience coaching the Titans, had one winning season

2014: Bill O'brien - rookie head coach

2015-2016: Todd Bowles - rookie head coach (outside of 5 games as interim head coach back in 2011)

2017-2018: Dirk Koetter - 1 year of head coaching experience

2019-2020: Brian Flores - rookie head coach

2021: Ron Rivera - 10 years of head coaching experience, 5 playoff appearances including one SB appearance

Mike Martz had a better win-loss percentage, but not the length of head coaching experience.

Dick Jauron had almost the same length of head coaching experience,  but nothing close to the same success or win percentage.

Of the remaining 10 coaches on that list, six of them were either interim head coaches or rookie head coaches. The list of head coaches Fitzpatrick has had to play under is almost as bad as the list of QBs Terry Mclaurin has had to play under lol...

Fitz is 38 now but if he really has been playing the best football of his career over the last 2-3 years, maybe being paired up with a head coach like Rivera will allow that trend to continue or even get better.

My goodness that's a murderers row of general head coach ineptness and/or inexperience. The most impressive guy on the list was Martz  during his 5 game rookie campaign.

Rivera is the best head coach (in experience and ability) that he's worked with by a nautical mile.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 3

It’s amazing the stuff I’m reading about Fitz in practice...this must be what it feels like to have one of those crazy long tenured vets mentoring and teaching on the field. Commanding respect and attention, and leading through love for the game. It’s such a change from the QB’s we’ve had here in my lifetime, it’s cool to read about. This might just be the perfect team at the perfect point in Fitzpatrick’s unlikely career.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It’s amazing the stuff I’m reading about Fitz in practice...this must be what it feels like to have one of those crazy long tenured vets mentoring and teaching on the field. Commanding respect and attention, and leading through love for the game. It’s such a change from the QB’s we’ve had here in my lifetime, it’s cool to read about. This might just be the perfect team at the perfect point in Fitzpatrick’s unlikely career.

Except that we just had one of those in alex Smith but yeah they've been pretty rare in the last 30 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Except that we just had one of those in alex Smith but yeah they've been pretty rare in the last 30 years.

I didn’t feel the same way about Alex Smith at all, personally. Players respected him, but they respond to Fitz in a way I’ve never seen here before. He’s taking ownership of the offense already in a way that Alex never did, regardless of how good of a guy as he was. Fitzpatrick brings a swagger and ability to make downfield throws that Smith didn’t, and players respond to that. Smith was a leader, but not a playmaker at all. More of a veteran steward of an offense. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, redskinss said:

True, Smith was a good leader and mentor type.  Forgetting about the trade/contract, he was a good qb to help this team foundationally.  Not that you were saying otherwise, but Fitzpatrick brings a very different energy.  Same hard work, but with that infectious personality coupled with the “I trust my guys” confidence that carries through to those around him.  

@ConnSKINS26 - I’m with you that this might be the perfect team for Fitz at the perfect time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I didn’t feel the same way about Alex Smith at all, personally. Players respected him, but they respond to Fitz in a way I’ve never seen here before. He’s taking ownership of the offense already in a way that Alex never did, regardless of how good of a guy as he was. Fitzpatrick brings a swagger and ability to make downfield throws that Smith didn’t, and players respond to that. Smith was a leader, but not a playmaker at all. More of a veteran steward of an offense. 

I agree with this, I was just responding to what you put.

this must be what it feels like to have one of those crazy long tenured vets mentoring and teaching on the field. Commanding respect and attention, and leading through love for the game. 

These are all things that Alex Smith was well known for.

The other things like throwing downfield and swagger I agree 100 percent. 

Fitzpatrick and Alex Smith have both been great teammates, leaders, and mentors. And both seem to truly love and understand the game. That is rarer than most realize in the NFL.

But they definitely have different vibes to them. I think Fitzpatrick's demeanor and personality is probably far more infectious like ConnSKINS26 alluded to earlier. And the dude seems to always have either a smile on his face or is almost laughing. If he posted on ES I bet he'd type "lol" even more than i do lol...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Pretty impressive to walk in and just take over. Coming off a vet like Alex, with Ron and JDR as veteran coaches, even Turner and Zampese are pedigreed. I assume this is what Ron wanted to happen. Take the offense and make it his.

• Like 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty impressive to walk in and just take over. Coming off a vet like Alex, with Ron and JDR as veteran coaches, even Turner and Zampese are pedigreed. I assume this is what Ron wanted to happen. Take the offense and make it his.

He didn't even need to be given a license to lead first lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Agree.  Will see.  My feeling is Fitz wil be a better Qb than Alex was here.  With Alex I felt that everything else had to be humming and if it was he wouldn't spoil the party. Alex would hold serve.   But if you are up against a hot Drew Brees or Matt Ryan we would get smoked.  With Fitz, I think he can go toe to toe with a hot Qb on the other side and he will win more games I think through his efforts specifically than Alex would.  Fitz will also spoil the party from time to time in ways that Alex rarely did.  But on the aggregate I feel better with Ryan at the helm than I did with Alex.

As for personalities.  They are both leaders who are vasty respected in the locker room.  From what I've heard, Alex is open but understated.  He is a bit reserved but also brings dry humor and likes to lighten the mood.    Fitzpatrick is like the dude you invite to the party and quickly becomes the center of attention because he's so extroverted and unhinged -- he's a pure fun.    Teammates seem to love both but judging by raw comments, Fitz is probably a peg higher in the leadership department I'd guess albeit both are special on that front.

https://www.fivereasonssports.com/voices/fresh-perspective-ryan-fitzpatrick-embodies-leadership-for-miami-dolphins/

What makes a leader? Is it the ability to rally the troops? To rise above adversity and come out on top? Getting the best out of those around you? There are many different ways to define leadership. However, the one thing that almost everyone can agree on is the burden of leadership is a heavy one. Not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Some are crushed under the pressure, some prefer not to take up that role at all. Those that find ways to thrive under the pressure, they’re a precious commodity. That’s what Ryan Fitzpatrick has been for the Miami Dolphins since he signed back in 2019.

Every player on the team has said how much they love the 37-year old veteran. His energy on the field is infectious, his love for the game spreads to everyone on the roster. He is a beloved figure, both in the locker room and to the fans who watch him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Dyami Brown is really high on him too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/dyami-brown-connection-qb-fitzpatrick-washington

>>Fans of the Washington Football Team still might not be all-in on Ryan Fitzpatrick as the next quarterback. After all, who expects a 38-year-old not named "Tom Brady'' to change a franchise?

But Fitzpatrick role is not as demanding as all of that. All he has to do is get the ball to the right target, limit the turnovers and watch what happens next. After 16 years in the NFL, that doesn't seem too hard, right? 

And what if a rookie comes along to help with the "right target'' part?

Unlike the previous four quarterbacks who started last season, Fitzpatrick will have an upgraded arsenal at the wide receiver spots. One name that's slowly begin to turn heads in camp is rookie target Dyami Brown.

According to the former Tar Heel, it's actually Fitzpatrick that could be making his job easy to transition from the college game to the pros. 

“Oh man, that’s a guy right there. That’s a guy. I like him a lot. You know, he’s out there, he’s composed. He likes to throw deep," Brown said on 106.7 The Fan's BMitch & Finlay. "I’ve just seen him throw deep a few times, he has a great arm...."

.....It seems clear Fitzpatrick's leadership skills have truly helped the new faces blend early. It's only been a few practices, but there's nothing but positive praise for the old-timer from a young core guy. 

"Just him as a person, he’s very well-spoken and I’ll speak highly of him," Brown said....<<

• Like 2

Is he required to be at OTA's as a 39 year old Vet or is that a leadership thing that he learned as a teammate kind of guy? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry...just had to. I mean he cold be training with the Miami crew as well.....right?🤪🤪🤪

kidding....ease your rudders!

• Haha 1

Rank

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Miami Dolphins · QB

Passer rating: 98.6 (highest in NFL)

Completion percentage: 62.1% (highest in NFL)

CPOE: +4.6%

As we all know, Fitzpatrick was not a full-time starter in 2020, but he still qualified for this list based on our minimum requirements. He started 7 of the 9 games he appeared in last season, so many of the other players on this list attempted at least twice as many under-pressure throws as Fitzpatrick. A smaller sample size likely benefitted him in the areas we're evaluating here, but we should not and will not discount Fitzpatrick's performance under pressure, especially when considering how improved he was in this department from the previous season. Fitzpatrick went from a 49 passer rating and 2:8 TD-INT ratio under pressure in 2019 to a 98.6 rating and 4:2 ratio in 2020. Fitzpatrick was very much a clutch player last season, posting the highest passer rating and completion percentage under pressure among all qualified passers. He tended to let it fly more often when under pressure, averaging 1.7 more air yards per attempt than he did on unpressured throws. He was even better in crunch time, finishing with a league-best 112.9 passer rating when under pressure in the second half or in overtime of games. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1