Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

What gives me any hope at all that the situation with Fitz and/or Heinicke is that neither of them are the kind of flashy Jeff George/Donovan McNabb/RGIII moves that Snyder has made in the past.  The decision to stand pat with Fitz/Heinicke seems like a decision made by people who know football.  So, I'm optimistic and for the first time since JG 2.0 I'm planning on going to a game this year.  

Thank the football gods that they didn't go for a splashy move at QB to "energize the fans"...

• Like 2

I watched the 2015 NY Jets season where Fitz had his best year going 10-6.  I can say that the Jets D was top 10.  Fitz had his best games where they ran the ball well.  They would lose where Fitz threw 2 or more INTs.  The majority of games Fitz is going to toss at least 1 INT.  However, when his TD:INT ratio was 2:1 or better they'd win.  Almost a kiss of death with that second pick.  By the numbers, if you have a good D, add a running game, and Fitz throws 2 TDs to any INT, then they should win 10+ games.  I'm not going through other seasons because he was never QB1 with a Defense better than the 2015 Jets who were ranked 9th. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Galdi's podcasts which are good IMO had Monson on in a recent one from PFF.  His points are somewhat repetitive from the article from him I've posted before below.  I am bringing it up again because it was a good listen and he expounded on his point more on that podcast. 

He thinks this is a legit SB contending roster though doesn't see it as a favorite like a KC/Tampa.

He somewhat makes the same point I have in the past which is Fitz is the type of QB that you may hit lightening in the bottle with because when he gots hot he can get red hot.  He said he had a large share of 90 PFF ratings in games in recent years, among the top in the league.  In recent years on the aggregate he had their 15th best score for QBs.  His point on the podcast was guys like Foles got hot in the playoffs.  Fitz if he gets there has the potential to get hot.

The thing is with non-elite QBs winning Superbowls.  With the exception of Dilfer but that was done in a different era where defenses still ruled, its not being the game manager QBs who broke the mold as for winning SBs (versus great QBs) but its been QBs who went toe to toe with the great QBs because they got hot at the right time.  Foles and Eli for example weren't just along for the ride.  They were key as for driving the bus.  Both winning SB MVPs.

Its not that I am counting on this from Fitz.  I am definitely in the camp that great-elite QBs are typically needed for the big dance.  But I do think if you are going to try to be an outlier, Fitz would fit that category.  If it was someone like Dalton or name that journeyman QB, I'd say no way.  But a streaky QB like Fitz who can get red hot, I'd think you might have a shot albeit long shot.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-washington-football-team-super-bowl-contender-ryan-fitzpatrick-2021-nfl-draft

Coming out of the 2020 campaign, everybody’s focus was on where Washington would find its next quarterback. The team evidently adopted the same mindset, but once they evaluated the various options and decided to effectively punt on the position for a year while seeing just how good they can be with a league-average quarterback steering the ship.

Maybe the 2022 NFL offseason will present them with a better option for the future, or maybe they will have to be prepared to tread water for a few seasons until something comes along. There is precedent for good teams in similar situations in the past, and critically, Fitzpatrick does give them viable play at the position, which they didn’t really have last year.

And Washington is good enough to win with that. Alex Smith went 5-1 in 2020 because he elevated that baseline just enough. Fitzpatrick is significantly better than Smith was last season, which gives the team even more margin for error, and they have added even more talent to the supporting cast.

When you are compiling a list of the contenders in any given season, you typically work through a list of elite quarterbacks and draw a line where a quarterback's talent simply won’t make a difference (Houston). But the Football Team are going about it a different way. They are attempting to create a supporting cast so good that an average quarterback can crash the party. Fitzpatrick has never even made the playoffs in his NFL career, but this may be the best situation he has even been in, and both he and the Washington Football Team are looking to take advantage of that in 2021.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing is with non-elite QBs winning Superbowls.  With the exception of Dilfer but that was done in a different era where defenses still ruled, its not being the game manager QBs who broke the mold as for winning SBs (versus great QBs) but its been QBs who went toe to toe with the great QBs because they got hot at the right time.  Foles and Eli for example weren't just along for the ride.  They were key as for driving the bus.  Both winning SB MVPs.

Joe Flacco with the Ravens in 2012 is another good example of this. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Mark Rypien in 1991 is the ultimate example.  That cast was so good, that team beat the best team in the AFC, 2nd-best record in the NFL, #2 offense.  Not just beat, but after a slow start, beat down hard.  Bills didn't do jack until garbage time.  That was Rypien's one great season.  1989 he was quite good too.  That's it.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, terpfan said:

Joe Flacco performed like Joe Montana in his prime during that playoff run though.  He was all-world.  He made them make him an offer he couldn’t refuse *Ravens make first contract offer*  *Flacco*I Cant Do That Marlon Brando GIF by The Godfather

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, -JB- said:

Joe Flacco performed like Joe Montana in his prime during that playoff run though.  He was all-world.  He made them make him an offer he couldn’t refuse *Ravens make first contract offer*  *Flacco*I Cant Do That Marlon Brando GIF by The Godfather

Yeah Flacco hit the powerball lotto that season...

A lifetime mediocre  player, with a world class defense, has the 4 (or so) best games of his ENTIRE career in succesion-- the last one being the Super Bowl-- just as his contract expired.

Then with all of the leverage in the world he forces the Ravens to chose between over paying him or letting him leave to go to another team that would gladly overpay him. With a gun to their head and no viable backup the Ravens hold their nose, cross their fingers and sign him to a bloated overpriced albatross of a deal.

Finally, and predictably, Flacco progresses back to his mediocre mean and never ever even glimpses his short lived excellence again.

Last stop-- the graveyard for quarterbacks, the town that beat up Santa Claus and sent our beloved mascot to the hospital with a broken limb-- none other than the home of cheesesteaks ("wit loads 'a onions and whiz good on it champ!")**

Filthy as ****-a-delphia.

XXX

** "Wit loads 'a onions and whiz good on it champ!"

This is actually what the drunk guy, who smelled like a Bronx urinal, in line just in front of me said at Pat's when he placed his order many years ago.

Oh, the pleasant city of brotherly love.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

What was the video?

Damnit Cali, it's so frustrating but I just don't  remember!

I know it was funny (or at least it made me laugh) but to save my life I just can't recall a thing about it.

These days it seems like I have the short term memory of an absent minded goldfish. lol

Sorry. -shrug-

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Damnit Cali, it's so frustrating but I just don't  remember!

I know it was funny (or at least it made me laugh) but to save my life I just can't recall a thing about it.

These days it seems like I have the short term memory of an absent minded goldfish. lol

Sorry. -shrug-

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

This is the perfect gif of my frustration. 

It's me knowing that if only this video didn't get taken down followed by a memory swipe it would have clearly been my creme de la creme, my ticket to ExtremeSkins imortality, the post of the year-- no make that the century. 

It would have garnered 100 laughing emojis, 70 likes, and 30 trophy emojis in the first day.

Plus a personal letter and invitation to WFT park from coach Rivera.

A white house tour and presidential medal of freedom surely would be next.

Followed by a trip to First Take as guest debater to dominate Max and leave SAS sweating, shaking and stuttering with no come back to my dominating intelect.

"For want of a shoe."

Alas...

"Damn them! Damn them all to hell!" 

Planet of the Apes

17 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

This is the perfect gif of my frustration. 

It's me knowing that if only this video didn't get taken down it would have been my creme de la creme, my ticket to ExtremeSkins imortality, the post of the year-- no make that the century. 

It would have garnered 100 laughing emojis, 70 likes, and 30 trophy emojis in the first day.

Plus a personal letter and invitation to WFT park from coach Rivera.

A white house tour and presidential medal of freedom awaits.

A trip to First Take as guset host to debate and dominate SAS and Max.

Alas...

"Damn them! Damn them all to hell!" 

Planet of the Apes

Was this the video?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Was this the video?

Perhaps but somehow I suspect it was more likely something like this...

XXXX

And to get back on topic...

5 hours ago, Buffalo Bob said:

With Fitz things are never going to be boring. He gives the formerly know as Redskins a puncher change to beat anybody.

This will no doubt be the most exciting qb play we've seen since RG3s rookie year.

I can't wait.

• Haha 2

I know they are completely different QBs, but for some reason Fitz reminds me of Brad Johnson. Johnson was also a journeyman, but he started to catch fire with Washington before ultimately being let go for Jeff George. As we all know, Jeff George wound up doing nothing here while Johnson went on to be part of a Superbowl team with Tampa. It seems the last few years, Fitz has caught fire and keeps being discarded. Maybe we can be on the other side of this story for once?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Flacco stuff gets blown way out of proportion and credits him with everything.  That Ravens felt like the team stumbled backwards into the playoffs.  The Ravens coaches knew it, so then they gambled hard and switched everything up.  Never before seen OL configuration.  New passing concepts now became their bread and butter.  They really played to the strengths of Dennis Pitta and Anquan Boldin.

The new OL unit came in and dominated.  And now opposing defenses in the playoffs had little film to work with.  People credit Flacco with getting hot, but really it was the OL getting scorching hot, and defenses unable to gameplan.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

@TrancesWithWolves just a thought....if u somehow managed to find it on youtube...you then therefore could go back onto YouTube and search your history and im sure your brain would connect the dot 

Hey, good idea old chap!

I'm on it.

EDIT:

757SeanTaylor21 you got me fired up and excited but as I started to search my history I realized that the video still won't show up because it was deleted (probably for a copyright strike). 

So still no joy.

😓😭😧😟

10 hours ago, Buffalo Bob said:

With Fitz things are never going to be boring. He gives the formerly know as Redskins a puncher change to beat anybody.

Yep...every week vs any team, as long as we can run the ball somewhat effectively. If we give Fitz a running game we will be able to compete with any team in the league with our defense. Fitz is probably salivating at the thought of driving the bus that's this offense. We are gonna be in for one of the most entertaining seasons we've had since RGlll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The Flacco stuff gets blown way out of proportion and credits him with everything.  That Ravens felt like the team stumbled backwards into the playoffs.  The Ravens coaches knew it, so then they gambled hard and switched everything up.  Never before seen OL configuration.  New passing concepts now became their bread and butter.  They really played to the strengths of Dennis Pitta and Anquan Boldin.

The new OL unit came in and dominated.  And now opposing defenses in the playoffs had little film to work with.  People credit Flacco with getting hot, but really it was the OL getting scorching hot, and defenses unable to gameplan.

Good post @AlcoholicZebra.

Illuminating details that give perspective and nuance to the Ravens Superbiwl win and Flacco's contributions.

It's funny how a seemingly logical  but actually overly simplistic narrative can take hold in the public conscience and over time it goes from questionable opinion to accepted fact.

11 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The Ravens were down 35-28 with 30 seconds left backed up on their own 30-yard line. And Denver DBs flubbed playing the ball to Jacoby Jones.

Even with that play (70 yards) and 2 OTs, Flacco only threw for 331 yards that game.

That play changed the course of the entire playoffs that year. That’s all it boiled down to.

Edited by Die Hard