Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I am open minded about Heinicke.  Scott Turner has had Heinicke in three different stints.  Ron Rivera has had him in 2 different stints.  They knows miles more about the dude than we do.  And if they are concerned with his durability and seem determined to bring in another QB to be QB #1 that's enough for me to believe he's not our best shot to win games next season.

We'd have no idea who the heck Heinicke is if it weren't for Rivera/Scott Turner.  So i am not all of a sudden going to question their judgement about the QB room.

If we find out that their interest in finding a new QB1 is a smokescreen and all along Heinicke was who they thought was the answer, then I'll trust it too.  But at the moment its not looking good for those who seem to want to put their faith that Heinicke is the answer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted its PFF

The Lions don’t seem to be getting as much interest in Matthew Stafford as expected

Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2021, 6:20 PM EST

Getty Images

When it comes to potential interest in Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, the glass is currently two-thirds empty.

That’s the obvious import of the news that a third of the league has reached out to the Lions. A third of the league. Ten teams. For a 32-year-old franchise quarterback who is going to get his wish for a new franchise.

The Lions undoubtedly leaked that number to NFL Media in order to generate more interest. Surely, they expected to hear from more than 10 teams — especially since calls always get made when a key veteran player is available as part of the normal due diligence process.

The teams that should at least make the call include the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Washington, Cowboys (as a potentially cheaper alternative to Dak Prescott), Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams. That’s nearly two thirds of the league.

Maybe some teams simply aren’t intersted. Maybe some teams simply want the Lions to get nervous and thus desperate and thus willing to get whatever they can for Stafford instead of driving the hardest bargain.

Regardless, the Lions for now seem to be having a much harder time than expected when it comes to generating interest in Stafford.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/the-lions-dont-seem-to-be-getting-as-much-interest-in-matthew-stafford-as-expected/

Of course. We'd have to be dumb as rocks to surrender a 1st round pick for someone about to get cut.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Of course. We'd have to be dumb as rocks to surrender a 1st round pick to someone about to get cut.

Maybe it's osweiler 2.0, and the lions have to throw in a 2nd rounder so we will take stafford off their hands.  I'd consider it, but ONLY if they threw Okudah in.  I think that's fair.

• Haha 1

INDIANAPOLIS – Before taking questions from the assembled media on Wednesday’s video conference call, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay provided a gentle reminder he’s not permitted to speak about any player under contract to another team.

Then he provided an ideal picture of the solution to his team’s quarterback quandary that sounded an awful lot like Detroit’s Matthew Stafford.

“We have a tremendous nucleus of players that are capable of competing for the Super Bowl very soon,” Irsay said. “So, ideally, if you can get someone to come in this year and several years after who is ready to go, it gives you your best opportunity and you don’t have as much of a maturation aspect of seeing them develop and get to that level that they need to get so you can get to a Super Bowl and win it.”

Stafford might very well be the fastest way to get that done.

The 12-year veteran has requested a trade, and NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday nearly one-third of the league’s 32 teams already have checked in with the Lions. That means consummating any deal for Stafford will be complicated, and Indianapolis is rightly keeping its options open.

During a more than 48-minute session with the media, Irsay repeatedly talked about the need to lock down the long-term future at quarterback. That generally means drafting a franchise talent that can be built around for the better part of two decades.

That also generally requires more than the 21st overall pick in the first round the Colts hold in April. So is moving up in the draft on the table?

According to Irsay, general manager Chris Ballard and head coach Frank Reich are exploring all possibilities.

“There is no question that we look to get an elite person at that position and preferably in the draft,” Irsay said, “but there are other ways you can do it, and you have to do it those other ways until that (draft) opportunity presents itself.”

Indianapolis has been fortunate enough to draft Peyton Manning with the No. 1 overall pick in 1998 and Andrew Luck in the top spot in 2012. But now the franchise is learning how the rest of the NFL lives.

Without that elite draft capital, it can be difficult to acquire the kind of quarterback who can carry a team to the multiple championships Irsay desires.

That’s what makes Stafford’s availability such a unique opportunity. He was the No. 1 overall pick out of Georgia in 2009 and has completed 62.6% of his passes for 45,109 yards and 282 touchdowns. He’ll be 33 years old on Super Bowl Sunday and still has years remaining in his prime.

Passers like that don’t hit the open market often, but this figures to be a unique offseason at the game’s most important position.

There are four quarterbacks in the draft who are viewed as having franchise potential. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence is a lock to go with the first pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Ohio State’s Justin Fields, BYU’s Zach Wilson and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance are all likely to go in the top 10.

Alabama’s Mac Jones and Florida’s Kyle Trask also could draw first-round interest, adding to the intrigue.

On the veteran side of the equation, Houston’s Deshaun Watson reportedly wants out and the New York Jets could look to trade 2018 No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold.

It’s an unusually crowded field that still could add another surprise entrant or two, and that’s what’s fueling Irsay’s optimism.

He believes the Colts have a roster that’s close to a championship level and just need a piece or two to complete the picture.

“There is such a great nucleus to build from, and when I said I thought we were the most complete team in the league, I really believed that from the three phases of the game because I thought we did so many things so well,” Irsay said. “It just didn’t quite gel at the end, and that can happen. We really have some special players.

Taylor Heinicke did nothing more than earn the right to compete in TC next season. If someone wants to dump a bunch of money at his feet to come play for them, he should take it and we should not try to match it. Nice gutty player that has gotten hurt both times he got into a game.

If the team really wants Matthew Stafford they will have to pay for him. Anything less than a 1st plus will not get it done. Someone is going to step up. If it's us, then so be it. That means Ron really believes Stafford can get this team to the next level. 

Don't want Rogers - he is a bit older and as I showed earlier, he wilts when the game is on the line and he has to bring his team back. Stafford out performs him in this scenario and it's not even close, both in #s and % opportunities. Surprised me too. 

Deshaun Watson - if he is the guy pay up. It will be expensive but he may be the best prospect of them all due to his age. I personally like him for us more than any of the other FAs. 

All the rest - pass as starters. Just not interested in any of the other vets out there unless they are strictly for depth or you have no choice (all the best are gone and you can't get a top draft prospect). Bring a guy in a minimum deal to compete, especially if you don't land a big fish makes sense. 

They have some interesting decisions to make. First, we don't know if Alex is retiring  -he really should for his own health. Also, where is Kyle in terms of rehab. Most reports have him on PUP next year. So we could still need 2 or maybe 3 QBs.

My plan would be first convince Alex to retire and bring him back as a coach if he is interested in doing that. If you get Watsons or Stafford you bring in a cheap vet to compete for back-up with Taylor then draft someone mid to late round as a developmental QB. If you don't get one of those two, then you have to draft high and then bring in a slightly better vet that could possibly start for you for a year. This is where a Carr (if available) or Fitz or someone like that comes in play. Then you sign an UDFA you like for the PS. 

It's clear Ron has a vision. Will be fun to watch it unfold - good or bad.

7 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

@SkinsinparadiseSounds like a vague answer. “We can do this but we can also do this and that”.

Nothing that revealing in the Colts article aside from him tipping off that they likely prefer a veteran, Ballard hinted the same in a different interview.    I'd take it as he's saying they got a SB window and the want a veteran.  It's logical.  It's what most suspect.  I'd take it if there was any mystery if the Colts are in the dance for Stafford, he was likely confirming it. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted its PFF

The Lions don’t seem to be getting as much interest in Matthew Stafford as expected

Getty Images

Wonder if Detroit's original asking price is too high and teams are balking at that price and not countering.

• Like 2

I am open minded about Heinicke.  Scott Turner has had Heinicke in three different stints.  Ron Rivera has had him in 2 different stints.  They knows miles more about the dude than we do.  And if they are concerned with his durability and seem determined to bring in another QB to be QB #1 that's enough for me to believe he's not our best shot to win games next season.

We'd have no idea who the heck Heinicke is if it weren't for Rivera/Scott Turner.  So i am not all of a sudden going to question their judgement about the QB room.

If we find out that their interest in finding a new QB1 is a smokescreen and all along Heinicke was who they thought was the answer, then I'll trust it too.  But at the moment its not looking good for those who seem to want to put their faith that Heinicke is the answer. 

It’s one of those potential Rudy like stories, what Washington fan wouldn’t get behind Taylor tearing up the league in the back half of his career. Those willing to just go all in and not explore a potential great veteran or even an above average guy are trying to hit on an option call way out of the money— it hits rarely, but the percentages are not in your favor. 

With that said, I’m not totally opposed to the idea of Taylor, due to the team also having Allen. You have an insurance policy for both of them next year. I’m not the biggest supporter of Allen, but you could see had command of the offense. Going with those two and a rookie isn’t crazy, IMO. The risk is mitigated a bit due to having the both of them. 

I like Taylor more because he seems to be a highly skilled runner and if the QB is going to lack pedigree, then he MUST be able to create, extend, and manipulate the field with his legs. Allen lacked running awareness, but has good speed that provides the playmaking element as well. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

That “only ten teams” concern from Florio  is so so dumb. 

So he says ten have already inquired.

Three more are division foes, not happening.

One more has Mahomes. Another has Burrow. Another has Allen. Another has the #1 overall pick. Another has Herbert. Another just drafted Tua. Another is tied to Brady for at least another year. Another is perfectly happy with Tannehill. Another has their guy in Mayfield. He’s not going to the Jets, they’re awful and have the #2 pick and Darnold. The Eagles are stuck with Wentz, and the Rams are stuck with Goff. Those contracts are so punishing across the board that even IF they managed to trade their guys away, they wouldn’t have room for Stafford’s 25M+ contract on top of the hit anyways.

That’s at least 25/32 teams in the league accounted for, including the Lions themselves. And that’s assuming I’m not missing anyone else. Pretty silly to say that ten early suitors is a bad sign when you look at it this way.

So essentially there are only 7 teams unaccounted for here who “should” at least check in. And that’s assuming his info is even good in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Wonder if Detroit's original asking price is too high and teams are balking at that price and not countering.

I wonder how you can use the word undoubtedly and not use a source?

Reads like Florio is speculating on previous speculation.

IOW, Florio being Florio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted its PFF

Getty Images

When it comes to potential interest in Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, the glass is currently two-thirds empty.

That’s the obvious import of the news that a third of the league has reached out to the Lions. A third of the league. Ten teams. For a 32-year-old franchise quarterback who is going to get his wish for a new franchise.

The Lions undoubtedly leaked that number to NFL Media in order to generate more interest. Surely, they expected to hear from more than 10 teams — especially since calls always get made when a key veteran player is available as part of the normal due diligence process.

The teams that should at least make the call include the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Colts, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Washington, Cowboys (as a potentially cheaper alternative to Dak Prescott), Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Falcons, 49ers, and Rams. That’s nearly two thirds of the league.

Maybe some teams simply aren’t intersted. Maybe some teams simply want the Lions to get nervous and thus desperate and thus willing to get whatever they can for Stafford instead of driving the hardest bargain.

Regardless, the Lions for now seem to be having a much harder time than expected when it comes to generating interest in Stafford.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/the-lions-dont-seem-to-be-getting-as-much-interest-in-matthew-stafford-as-expected/

That's just a ludicrously bad take from PFT (this is my shocked face 🙄)

1. They are treating the "1/3 of the league" report as gospel and an exact figure.

2. It's only been a couple of days and the season isn't over yet.

3. Just because Mike Florio thinks a team "should be interested" doesn't mean it's surprising that they aren't calling. The Jets and Dolphins have high picks and are rebuilding. It's not news if those teams are thinking draft pick, or Watson (or Tua) and not a 32 year old Stafford. The Falcons could draft someone or stick with Ryan. The Browns? After Mayfield took them to the final 8? The Steelers aren't going to be talking trade with Ben still around. The Saints are like 90 mil over the cap. The Rams are way over and Goff's guaranteed salary is unmovable. The Vikings and Bears surely know he's not getting moved inside the division. 

4. Even if he's right that there's some news here, 10 teams bidding on Stafford is plenty and it's likely going to lead to a real high price tag for him.

• Like 1

Nothing that revealing in the Colts article aside from him tipping off that they likely prefer a veteran, Ballard hinted the same in a different interview.    I'd take it as he's saying they got a SB window and the want a veteran.  It's logical.  It's what most suspect.  I'd take it if there was any mystery if the Colts are in the dance for Stafford, he was likely confirming it. 

I actually just read an article where he was actually inviting....wait for it......Andrew Luck to come out of retirement and rejoin the team. Don't know if there have been whispers that he's considering it or whether it's just a pipe dream from Irsay but it bears watching. If that came to pass, it might open the way for Stafford to DC. We shall see. 

3 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

How many times do we see these “impressive” workouts and the player doesn’t pan out?  Throwing in practice is nothing compared to NFL game speed.

A lot.

But the hype machine is real this time, I swear!;) 

The funny thing is that most drafts produce 1 or 2 bona fide NFL starters. There are occasional drafts that are exceptions, but those are pretty rare. I know everyone's trying to hype up options 5 and 6 in the coming draft, but it's asking a lot for those to pan out. Could happen, but it's a long shot. 2018 was supposed to be one of the best QB years in a long time. Ended up with 5 first rounders. But...one was a complete bust (Rosen). Another is not long for his team (Darnold). Despite a strong rookie year, there are still plenty of critics of Mayfield. That leaves two real hits in Jackson and Allen. And it took Allen 2+ years to get there and Jackson still can't throw the ball all that great. The rest of the draft was crap.

2017 had two really good QBs - Mahomes and Watson

2016 had Goff and Wentz, but both of them are at a bit of career crossroads. Would we count those as hits? There's also Prescott from this draft. 

2015 had nothing

2014 has three players that are currently starters in name, though all their current teams want to replace them (Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy Garoppolo). Only Carr has really proven much over any extended period, though individual opinions on each may vary.

2013 had nothing

2012 is the great RG3 year. Probably the best QB draft in the last 10 years. Unfortunately RG3 was not one of the successes. Luck was pretty good until retiring, Tannehill has been decent (though didn't help Miami much before they moved on from him), and then there's Wilson and Cousins. Plus I suppose whatever you want to count Nick Foles as, though he hasn't held a starting job for any consistent amount of time.

2011 had Cam Newton and whatever you think of Andy Dalton

2010 had...Sam Bradford? He was sort of okay when he wasn't injured

2009 had Stafford and nothing much else

2008 had Matt Ryan and the mediocrity of Joe Flacco

2007 had nothing

2006 had Jay Cutler as the best

2005 has Aaron Rodgers and eventually Alex Smith turned out okay (but took a really long time to get there)

This list is not encouraging me to think Washington will really find any solution in the draft without moving up significantly. At which point, it's probably better to just trade for a sure thing like Stafford or Watson (if you can, but does depend on price)

• Like 2

You know what I just realized that annoys the **** out of me... hadn’t really thought of it before because he didn’t get good until he got to Tennessee. I bet Tannehill would have been damn good in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. And I wonder if either Shanahan brought that up as an option before Snyder and Allen dropped three 1sts to move up for RG3. 

In an alternate reality where we took Tannehill at 4, we might be a regular playoff team at this point. Kyle Shanahan is probably our Head Coach. Maybe we could have won something. 

41 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

In an alternate reality where we took Tannehill at 4, we might be a regular playoff team at this point. Kyle Shanahan is probably our Head Coach. Maybe we could have won something. 

I recommend you take however much you're drinking and smoking, and cut it in half.

...and then send the extra half to me please 😁.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

You guys are insane if you think he won’t go for a first rounder

He wont....have you watched him play? Detroit is always behind so his passing stats are high yet often times when he needs to make the play he cant..hes got a big strong arm but thats about it.

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

This list is not encouraging me to think Washington will really find any solution in the draft without moving up significantly. At which point, it's probably better to just trade for a sure thing like Stafford or Watson (if you can, but does depend on price)

We're close to a large QB desert right now, after having legit starters on most teams for over 20 years.

Reminds me of the famous 83 draft. That was the last time 6 QBs went in the first and that may happen again this year.

Next year doesn't look great, but there are going to be a few good QBs there as well, just like in 84.