Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

15 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

If he’s unverified and doesn’t even have 2000 followers he’s not credible. Tell your man to stop misleading people.

Dude, it's Twitter. If you take pretty much anything from there as gospel truth, that's PEBCAK. Lighten up.

• Like 2

So ... curious to hear other's takes on this.

Scenario 1: Trade 1st and 3rd for Matt Stafford, sign to $32m APY extension

Scenario 2: Trade '21, '22, '23 1st and '21, '22 2nds to Houston for Deshaun Watson

Scenario 3: Trade '21 1st and 2nd, '22 2nd to move into Top 10 to get one of the non-Lawrence Big 3

Scenario 4: Trade a 6th round pick to bring in Marcus Mariota, draft developmental QB in 2nd Round

Scenario 5: Sign Dak Prescott as a free agent for 5 years at $40m APY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Scenario 2: Trade '21, '22, '23 1st and '21, '22 2nds to Houston for Deshaun Watson

Scenario 3: Trade '21 1st and 2nd, '22 2nd to move into Top 10 to get one of the non-Lawrence Big 3

Scenario 4: Trade a 6th round pick to bring in Marcus Mariota, draft developmental QB in 2nd Round

Of those scenarios I think I'd go Dak, Stafford, Deshaun, Top 10 Rookie, Mariota.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So because people overrate prospects for asinine reasons, good prospects should be discounted. Yup. Makes sense. 🙄

It sounds funny when you put it like that. But just like before the draft with Haskins or a year later with Tua, I just don't get excited about these prospects from these schools. In general I try not to get excited about first round QBs but I'm even less so with QBs from certain schools. 

I think its different for somebody like you or people who live in the draft thread. You all watch prospects all year and know the ins and outs of every player. I don't. I know what Mel Keiper and Walterfootball and whatever else is out there grading the draft prospects says. And it seems like every year there's a guy from one of these schools that has it all and is going to be the first from this school to make it and blah blah blah but then he's a bust. There are different reasons why: work ethic, injury, weak arm, reading defenses, etc. But I look at these guys and compare it to schools like Clemson where they are still competing hard but the schools don't have the same (recent) history of failure and its easier for me to get excited about a Lawrence. Part of me wonders if its something like Spurrier's system in the NFL where his QBs could never make it. But thats not fair because OSU and Alabama and USC have had different HCs and OCs and still same results so I don't know. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Stafford. He won't cost nearly as much in cap and picks as Watson.

2.  Watson:  You have to have a QB in this league and the names of retreads are crazy suggestions IMO.

3.  Trade up in the draft:  Distant 3rd, the miss rate is too high when we have proven options in the first 2 scenarios

4.  Dak:  Again not a call I would make to pay a non-elite QB elite QB money

5.  Marriotta is a waste of time, see my Watson comments. If drafting a QB in the top 10 is a long shot drafting a franchise QB in the 2nd round is off the charts long odds.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Scenario 1: That would be a very good deal and I'd jump on it, but I doubt we'll get it. I think it's going to be at least a 1st and 2nd, but more likely two 1sts assuming there's a bidding war.

Scenario 2: That's a hell of a rich trade, but I'm not sure how realistic it is because everything with Watson is purely rumor now and him whining. Rich trade, but I'd be tempted. Elite 25 year old top 5 QBs just don't hit the market really, so there's not much of a precedent as far as trade value.
Scenario 3: IMO is more likely to be '21 1st, '22 1st, '22 2nd, because we'll probably need to move into the top 3 to really guarantee we'll get one of those guys. That would be another rich trade, but if the coaches truly believed that the dude they were targeting was their guy, then I'd roll with it.

Scenario 4: Completely meh on this. More mediocrity. Basically just trading a soggy chicken sandwich for a soggy turkey sandwich.

Scenario 5: Not sure how I feel about this. One thing people seem to not mention when talking about Dak is that he's coming off of a devastating ankle injury. There's no way to know if he'll be the same guy or not. Will he be able to run and plant to throw like he could before? It's a huge risk for that kind of money. Probably a no for me.

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/27/nfl-mailbag-jared-goff-last-game-rams

From Jason Kroulik (@crowlick): Where does Stafford end up and what is the trade compensation?

Jason, I think Denver, Indianapolis, New England and San Francisco are all obvious potential suitors, and each has its merits for Stafford. It’s hard for me to say at this point where he’ll land, because we don’t know exactly which other quarterbacks will be available, and I certainly could see any of those teams drafting one in the first round (the Colts, Patriots and Niners likely would have to trade up to do it).

As for the price tag, I think having Stafford out there early does at least set the Lions up to get a solid return (a first and maybe something else), because it puts them ahead of the market. We’ve heard a lot of names over the last week, and speculation on which quarterbacks could be on the move. What Detroit can offer another team now, in late January, is an opportunity to gain certainty at the most important position. Getting done early would also be good for Stafford, for a variety of reasons.

Trying to get a deal done now really would be win-win-win for the Lions, Stafford and his new team. And it’s not like that would be unprecedented. You may remember the Chiefs moved Alex Smith during Super Bowl week three years ago.

2 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

That makes me think we don't land him, so many more teams have higher picks.  I'm with Burgold and just roll with Allen and Heinickle. Stafford AND Jimmy G are available for a reason. 

And there's also a reason there's a bidding war for Stafford and not Jimmy G. The 49ers would be incredibly lucky to land a 2nd rounder for Jimmy G. Stafford will probably get upwards of two 1sts.

But I do agree that if it's between Allen/Heinicke and parting with a 3rd or 2nd for Jimmy G, I'd probably just say roll with the mediocre guys we already have. Jimmy G isn't going to elevate an offense. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In order of preference:

Scenario 3 if the scouting department and coaching staff believe in Wilson and/or Fields

Scenario 5 if Dak can pass a physical and has no long term limitations from his injury

Scenario 1 no caveats needed.

I'm staying away from the other two scenarios because of the cost for Watson and Mariota.  

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

With the injury histories of those two and Allen possibly being on PUP, that scenario might get Steven Montez a chance. 

We can always try and can stick with the hot hand and grab another guy from an Old Dominion engineering class.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

More, I think Stafford will not last with us. He does have an injury history and we have a pretty thin line.

Every QB has an injury history. All of them have missed time before with various injuries including major ones. Watson (Knee), Rodgers (Leg/Knee), Carr (Thumb), Goff (Thumb), Jimmy G (Knee), and every QB on our current roster except Montez.

Stafford missed eight games in 2019. Played all 16 this year. Played all 16 from 2011-2018. Now if you're saying you are more worried because of where his injury occurred (back), then I guess I understand, but to me it is no different than any of the QB's listed above in terms of suffering a significant injury at some point in their careers. Its the nature of the position.

In terms of injury history that scares me the most...Its Heinicke because he has been injured often in such a limited time starting at QB. The worst QB decision we could make in my opinion, would be to stand pat with what we have. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Jimmy G is a trap, not a good target. QB purgatory again. He had a Shanahan running game, Kittle/Aiyuk/Deebo when healthy and didn’t come close to expectations. 

If he's released and we sign him to a team friendly deal and address QB in the draft, I'm happy with the bridge.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Google here we come!

Yeah, that lemon party was a real blue waffle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1