Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Except it wouldn't be for free. I agree with everything else you say though. Would we want to have 4 QB's under contract? What about Montez? Do we really need that many QB's? 

If they had faith in Montez, he would have started over Heinicke. Maybe there is still hope for him but I think he's a PS QB who may not even be employed during the season. But if Allen and/or Heinicke go down maybe we bring him back to get a chance. I do think he could see some preseason action (assuming we have a preseason) to see how he does in live action. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its different though because every year there are QBs at schools like Alabama and Ohio State that are saying that they're the top ever. Its kinda like USC QBs. How many times have they been put at the top of the draft and how many times have they panned out? OSU is looking similar. You can look at other schools, but they aren't generally put up there with the best ever. We constantly see these schools ranked with top prospects and they just don't pan out. 

Its not to say that it can't happen and the fact that I'm ok with us getting Darnold (not excited about it but ok) shows that I don't really believe in it. But I don't think Mac Jones of Fields are the sure fire locks that we saw in Luck or RG3 or Lawrence or Burrow or some of the other guys who have recently come out. So its part of the equation. Its a question of what makes Fields different than other OSU QBs? What makes Jones different than other Alabama QBs? Why are they going to succeed where so many others have failed? 

I think it'd be different if this were Greg McElroy who I wanted in the draft, but for a 3rd of 4th. But spending a first on a QB from a school with a history of busts like this doesn't feel right. 

So because people overrate prospects for asinine reasons, good prospects should be discounted. Yup. Makes sense. 🙄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

If we gonna trade for a qb and using multiple firsts it might as well be for Watson. 

Miami continues to be linked there.

4 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If Jimmy G is gonna get released then I would want to sign him and slightly move up in the draft to get Pitts or Waddle. 

I have got him down as the teams plan ‘b’ after Stafford.

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't know if I'm an outlier, but I hope we don't require Stafford. My preferred scenario is to go with whoever wins a QB competition between Hieneke, Allen, and Smith (assuming Smith doesn't retire) and draft the best QB we can in the second or third round that we think after a year of coaching up can be our guy.

For whatever reason, I feel like Stafford coming here will be just another McNabb, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Mark Brunnell, etc. situation. In other words, he might be a bum or he might be a very short term answer to fool's gold playoff aspirations, but he won't be a real answer to the QB question. More, I think Stafford will not last with us. He does have an injury history and we have a pretty thin line.

I've been waffling back and forth but I keep leaning this way myself. 

It's hard to get past the fact that any quarterback that's available, is available for a reason.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

I think this is probably what will end up happening but if they can sneak in and get a stafford or watson i wouldnt blame them.  I think its pointless to trade for a mid level guy like darnold or bridgewater though. Not unless its a 6th round pick or later. If they want to sign a vet, thats cool, or draft a guy in any round really, but dont trade picks for anyone that isnt a clear upgrade over heinicke or allen because they could end up being pretty good options.  Health is a factor but that why you have two of them.

Sounds like a good plan. Problem is those two elite vets will cost us a king's bounty in draft picks, which could set us back for years.

Sometimes the best strategy is to stay put?

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

If Jimmy G is gonna get released then I would want to sign him and slightly move up in the draft to get Pitts or Waddle. 

They fella that posted this has a little over 1000 followers.  How much does he really know?

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I guess it just depends on how much of a difference the coaches believe the QB in question would make. If you didn't make the trade and went BPA this year and next in the 1st round and landed a couple of good players at other positions, but still had oft injured and mediocre QBs helming your offense, how much difference would those two players make when compared to a good QB?

Two 1sts would be tough for me to digest, but if the coaches truly believe Stafford is the guy and will be able to elevate this offense then I'd be ok with it because if they're right we could immediately be a super dangerous team.

I am not against a trade but just a little concerned at the possible cost. QB is the most important position no doubt and if any position is worth multiple firsts, then it is the QB position.

In years past, I wouldn’t have cared but we are finally drafting blue chip players so those picks are even more valuable than during the RG3 years when we had no clue how to draft.

I won’t be upset at all if we trade for Stafford, I just hope we can do it without giving up multiple picks and certainly not high round ones.

• Like 1

Jimmy G is just another mediocre QB who may be a slight upgrade over Allen and Heinicke. I might give up a 3rd for him. Certainly not a 2nd or above. That would be like going out and planning on having a steak dinner but ending up with Subway instead. 

• Like 3

Just now, mistertim said:

Jimmy G is just another mediocre QB who may be a slight upgrade over Allen and Heinicke. I might give up a 3rd for him. Certainly not a 2nd or above. That would be like going out and planning on having a steak dinner but ending up with Subway instead. 

Would you pay him $25.5 mil if he were a FA? I sure wouldn't. So, why the hell would you trade a draft pick for the right to?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Would you pay him $25.5 mil if he were a FA? I sure wouldn't. So, why the hell would you trade a draft pick for the right to?

Yeah good point about the contract too. That's like going out and planning on a steak dinner but ending up with Subway instead...and your sandwich also has rotten meat in it.

8 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Less than 2000 followers. Stop posting fake sources.

Joggs.  Easy.  HigSkins is good people.  HigSkins post good info here not fake stuff.  Show a little love and respect please. :)

• Like 2

Honestly why would any decent QB want to come here. Better options and remember the Team still has to deal either penalties from the nfl or Snyder being forced to sell, which could lead to an eventual coaching change. Too much uncertainty here. So no Stafford, Watson or Rodgers.

Edited by Rdskns2000

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Honestly why would any decent QB want to come here. Better options and remember the Team still has to deal either penalties from the nfl or Snyder being forced to sell, which could lead to an eventual coaching change. Too much uncertainty here. So no Stafford, Watson or Rodgers.

1) Snyder isn’t going anywhere anytime soon

2) $$$ and Ron Rivera speaks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

Ok but who is Josh Taylor 

If you check out his Twitter profile he's a small time Washington FT Podcaster.  Higs was just posting from a small credible WFT beat reporter.  Higs shares good info and doesn't steer ESers in the wrong direction.  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

If you check out his Twitter profile he's a small time Washington FT Podcaster.  Higs was just posting from a small credible WFT beat reporter.  Higs shares good info and doesn't steer ESers in the wrong direction.  :)

If he’s unverified and doesn’t even have 2000 followers he’s not credible. Tell your man to stop misleading people.

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

That thought is so 2019.

In 2020, teams saw the Redskins win on Thanksgiving, beat the unbeatable Steelers (and break them), and give Brady a better challenge than any other team with a fourth string QB. Seriously, I think a QB looking at McLaurin, Gibson, and Logan Thomas backed up by the number 2 defense in the world wouldn't think, "Awww... Hell no!"

That said, what I said above is still true, I'm not in the "trade" camp when it comes to QBs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

It depends on how much a team offers for Stafford.  Whoever offers the most will get him.  

Stafford is in the drivers seat; it’s wherever he wants to go, IMO. My guess is Stafford and reps also won’t want to hurt the eventual team he goes to due to wild compensation. 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

49er's are probably offering 2 firsts, at least David Carr thinks so but they also might be considering what they could get back for Jimmy G.  I think it's crazy but some analyst think Jimmy G is worth a 1st - not...

https://www.nfl.com/news/matthew-stafford-landing-spots-six-teams-that-should-trade-for-qb

Many in the media are late to the fact the QB bubble of average has POPPED and new norms  are being created. 

• Like 1