Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 minutes ago, Guard Bum said:

It seems the way of today’s NFL is athletic, mobile QBs.  I think the WFT really needs to follow suit.  There is a reason all these older stand in the pocket and throw QB’s are available (excludes Watson).  If they aren’t sold on  a QB that is available to them this year I’m good with a stop gap guy and hope to get our guy next year.  I think our #1’s are too valuable to trade on a stop gap QB.  

I think you can count on them coming away from FA, trading or drafting a QB that they will plug and play and next year's crop of QBs are far less talented than this year.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A QB that has wheels and can run, but only hit a first or second read is going to become the norm, compared to someone who can stand in the pocket and be the general. 

I suppose the keeper run option is a read.

If only we could find a guy who could make five reads and run if he has to.

Wait a second, is that... is that a Dutch beer I smell??

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Signing Tyrod is less than ideal, but if it's on the cheap and it gives you insurance against overpaying for a QB in the draft, then so be it.

Tyrod, as in Tyrod Taylor? I guess you are from the Jim Zorn "stay medium" school of football strategy.

I'd rather go all in for Stafford, or go with an unknown commodity in the draft, or give Heinecke a shot at the job before bringing in a JAG like Tyrod, a journeyman whose not done much in his 10 seasons in the league.   

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

:ols:  I love how a guy plays 5 quarters of decent football and he's suddenly the second coming. ES never disappoints I suppose. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:  I love how a guy plays 5 quarters of decent football and he's suddenly the second coming.

Speaking of Jesus, I always thought of him as more of a swimmer. Like, when I was a kid and I'd see a painting or sculpture of him on the cross, my thought was always, "Nice abs. He must swim."

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Speaking of Jesus, I always thought of him as more of a swimmer. Like, when I was a kid and I'd see a painting or sculpture of him on the cross, my thought was always, "Nice abs. He must swim."

Why swim when he could just walk?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:  I love how a guy plays 5 quarters of decent football and he's suddenly the second coming. ES never disappoints I suppose. 

And his main knock is injuries and he got injured in the only game he played every snap. The guy seriously injured himself climbing into a window of his own house. He's a walking (with a limp), talking definition of injury prone.

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Why swim when he could just walk?

Swimming would certainly bring a lot more humor to Moses's red sea trick.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So we've had five decent quarters of football in a row............when was the last time we have had that? 😃😃😃😃😃🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by tmandoug1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

ES is also willing to sell the farm for a bunch of guys who haven’t won anything in the playoffs. *shrug*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

ES is also willing to sell the farm for a bunch of guys who haven’t won anything in the playoffs. *shrug*

Not sure who the bunch are besides Stafford. 

As far as Stafford I'd certainly be willing to give up our 1st for him, but wouldn't be too happy having to give up 2. That being said, if we wanted to trade up into a spot where we could draft one of the top 3 QBs it would probably cost us at least next year's 1st anyway so to me it's a bit of a wash if we're intent on getting our QB, whether though trade or in the draft. Any QB picked at 19 is going to be in the second or even third tier of guys. Maybe Mac Jones. But personally I'd rather have Stafford than Jones.

Watson has won a playoff game, so I guess he doesn't count...but I don't think we really have a chance at him, though I think a 25 year old top 5 QB would be worth two or three 1st rounders. If he actually does hit the market they'll get a haul for him. 

Probably going to get slammed for this, but my wish is that fences can't be mended in Green Bay, and somehow Aaron Rodgers becomes a WFTeamer. I know it has virtually no chance of happening, but I like the idea of it as much, if not more than, reading all these posts about Stafford or the various college QBs not named Lawrence. Of course, there's nothing very attractive here for Rodgers other than our defense could make us a contender with the addition of a legit starter at CB and a rangy tackling machine of a MLB who plays like London Fletcher did. But Rodgers would bring tons of playoff experience, he's a confident leader on the field, and guys like playing with him. Having him as the starter for a few years with the plucky Heinicke as the number two if Rodgers goes down would be a nice little set up like we haven't had in a long time in DC.         

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guard Bum said:

It seems the way of today’s NFL is athletic, mobile QBs.  I think the WFT really needs to follow suit.  There is a reason all these older stand in the pocket and throw QB’s are available (excludes Watson).

Tom Brady is playing in his tenth Super Bowl. Mahomes is mobile but he’s also great within the system. If Rodgers is available, it ain’t because his style of play is ineffective. He’s going to be MVP. Drew Brees would also like a word with you on the subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Sounds like Lamar Jackson + Taylor Heinicke!  

I still am enamored by him in the TB game

He went through his reads until he found the open man.  Let's see how he does in preseason.  I think he reminds me of Fran Tarkenton and Joe Theismann.  Might be a stretch, but I think he has a decent chance to start if we draft a rookie because the vets we want are all gone.  We probably have a 1 out of 5 chance to trade for him without giving up a king's ransom.

I am excited to see if his stellar plau was a bit of luck or not.  We don't have much tape on him.  He is a dual threat.  Durability appears to be his #1 issue.  He has the intangibles that u need.  Sometimes, the solution is right in front of our nose.  He did the same at Old Dominion.  He was phenomenal.  I know, I have been drinking the kool-aid.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Probably going to get slammed for this, but my wish is that fences can't be mended in Green Bay, and somehow Aaron Rodgers becomes a WFTeamer. I know it has virtually no chance of happening, but I like the idea of it as much, if not more than, reading all these posts about Stafford or the various college QBs not named Lawrence. Of course, there's nothing very attractive here for Rodgers other than our defense could make us a contender with the addition of a legit starter at CB and a rangy tackling machine of a MLB who plays like London Fletcher did. But Rodgers would bring tons of playoff experience, he's a confident leader on the field, and guys like playing with him. Having him as the starter for a few years with the plucky Heinicke as the number two if Rodgers goes down would be a nice little set up like we haven't had in a long time in DC.         

I threw that idea out there about a month ago. Adams is also nearing the end of his deal and it would be something to get the both of them

The most problematic part of that sentiment is the negative way in which he uses "shortcut." Here's the thing about shortcuts: When you take the right one, you can get to your destination wayyyyyyyyyy faster. That's exactly what landing the right passer could do for Ron Rivera's squad.

There are absolutely holes on the roster, which Chase and his comrades will continue to point out. The franchise could use a stud linebacker, another corner, a wide receiver to pair with Terry McLaurin and a few more pieces. And if they A) trade for somebody and send away draft capital in that trade or B) sign a free agent to a fairly-rich deal, they won't have the same amount of resources to take care of those other issues. 

That said, of the many, many benefits that comes with acquiring an established signal caller, one is that the signal caller can singlehandedly overcome and mitigate weaknesses that exist elsewhere. The top options at the position are called many things — a "general", a "CEO", a "point guard", etc. — yet "eraser" might just be the most fitting. 

Being a little thin at LB or lacking in the secondary isn't as much of a detriment when the guy leading your offense is difference maker as opposed to a game manager like Alex Smith or an inconsistent player like Kyle Allen. Not everything has to be perfect when the quarterback is a star. 

As for the "course" that Chase and Co. want to "stay," that point isn't unfounded, either. Rivera is certainly building something in Washington, and he's got four more years on his contract to complete the project. Why rush, right?

Plus, the organization has done this type of thing before to various degrees in giving away everything to snag Robert Griffin III to getting Donovan McNabb from Philly to bringing in Smith from Kansas City. Shouldn't they have learned from those failures?

Let's answer the first question, the one about rushing, first. There are a bunch of reasons to act now, including the fact that the rest of the division is wobbly, much of Washington's young core is still cheap and this could be an unprecedented time for teams who crave a change at the sport's most vital spot. 

Don’t keep coasting along; smash the gas.

As for the second question, there's no such thing as trying too hard to fix QB. Washington can absolutely try smarter if they opt to address it again in the next couple of days, weeks or months, but they should in no way allow their recent whiffs affect their upcoming swing. 

Lastly, a 7-9 record and a lone, fluky division title shouldn't be confused with legitimate success. Like Chase mentions, Washington isn't "super close" — at least right now. 

But who's to say they wouldn't be with a new shot caller on offense?

Currently, Stafford and Watson are probably the only certified ceiling-raisers that Washington potentially could have, but someone like Matt Ryan, should he be made available, would fit that category as well. Any of those three along with McLaurin, Chase Young, Antonio Gibson, Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Kam Curl, Logan Thomas and Kendall Fuller could combine to boost the Football Team into the upper echelon of the league, and that would hold true even if one of those names were sent away.

Overall, it feels like many choose to focus on what would be lost or what could go wrong in any potential move for a quarterback. Stop doing that for a moment, and instead imagine what can be gained and what can go right. Risk is definitely involved, yet so is enormous upside.  

• Like 3