Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

More on Jamie Newsom from PFN:  Concerns are highlighted.  

Jamie Newman, QB, Wake Forest - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

Analyzing Jamie Newman’s 2021 NFL Draft Profile

The flashes are bright with Jamie Newman, and it starts with his physical traits. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Newman is one of the most physically imposing quarterbacks in this class. He’s built like a linebacker, and he moves well for his size. He’s a weapon as a runner, who combines good speed and agility with infectious toughness and resilience.

As a passer, Newman is similarly flashy. He has a nice, compact throwing motion, and he’s able to generate velocity with relative ease. This velocity can enable Newman to hit incredibly tight windows. It can also enable him to hit receivers in stride downfield. The flashes are bright, but unfortunately, they come less often than one would hope.

The issues with Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman

When Newman has time to throw, he has a decent feel for mechanical congruence. However, his mechanics start to collapse under pressure, and his mental process mirrors this inconsistency.

Newman’s eyes and progressions are a big issue. On rare occasions, the Wake Forest quarterback shows the ability to scan the field and process route development. But far too often, Newman locks onto his first target, keys in defenders with his stagnant eyes, and pulls the trigger anyway. Pre-play or mid-play, he doesn’t adapt often enough, and this makes him predictable and volatile.

Newman needs a great deal of improvement as a processor. Although growth is possible there, it’s not easy to develop at the NFL level, where things move even faster. Newman already clocks in a bit late on a lot of in-breaking throws, thus hindering receiver separation. And when he’s only “area accurate” and not a pinpoint precision passer, that only makes matters worse.

Featured | 2021 NFL Mock Draft: Tony Pauline sees quarterbacks in high demand

Newman has a lot of upside. He’s a great athlete with a great arm. He’s also known as an energetic leader who can rally his teammates and lead an offense.

Yet, until Newman finds a way to sharpen his mental game, improve his decision-making against pressure, and make his eyes a weapon rather than a weakness, he’ll only be a developmental passer, with upside that might end up being unattainable.

Jamie Newman’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft

Before the 2020 college football season, Jamie Newman was an enigma. Most people thought Newman would at least get one more year in college to refine his traits. Now, there is general agreement that Newman needed that extra year and that he’s nowhere near ready to start in the NFL.

Before his decision to opt out, most mock drafts had Newman as a Day 2 draft pick. Some even boldly predicted him to sneak into Round 1. Without a crucial season of development, Newman more closely resembles an early-to-mid Day 3 pick. Newman can improve his draft stock at the NFL Combine and the Senior Bowl, but for now, there’s far too much uncertainty in his projection to warrant an early selection.

What are the best teams for Newman?

The silver lining with Newman rests in his flashes. His physical talent gives him a high ceiling, and he doesn’t have an absolute inability to go through progressions. He’s shown it in spurts, so NFL teams may see that as something they can work with.

Still, even if Newman has potential starter traits, he shouldn’t start early in his career. If Newman can go to a team with an established veteran and learn for a couple of years, that would be the most beneficial solution.

In 2021, teams that fit Newman’s needs could include the Steelers, Colts, Vikings, and Buccaneers. The key for Newman is mentorship. If he can enter a situation that allows him to grow and develop, then his career trajectory could rediscover the upward trend it lost in 2020.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds about right.   If he were polished and ready to hit the ground running he'd be in conversation for the top 10.  The fact he's developmental is why he's taked about a 2nd rounder or later -- at least pre Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl though does matter.  Our last two three rounders, McLaurin and Gibson shined at the senior bowl and it elevated the buzz about both. 

RR wants to win now and not wait on a development project.  IF he can't trade for a very good NFL QB that's on a roster right now he has to move up and get one of the Fantastic 4 with Jones being the 5 dice.  

This is why I like Mac Jones even at #19.  

Top quarterbacks at the 2021 Reese's Senior Bowl | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

Mac Jones isn’t the best quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft — that title belongs to Trevor Lawrence. He isn’t the second, third, or fourth-best either. Still, Jones operated college football’s most explosive offense and won a championship with the Crimson Tide in 2020. It’s clear that despite his limitations, he’s the best of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks down in Mobile.

The most apparent reason for Jones’ fall to QB5 is his pedestrian physical tools. He lacks the arm strength to separate himself from the pack of mediocrity — frequently underthrowing should-be touchdowns and inherently limiting the windows that he can test. Additionally, Jones isn’t the athlete the modern NFL has grown fond of. In a changing game, Jones seems left behind in this group of Senior Bowl quarterbacks.

Without the ability to win by improvising with his legs, there’s more pressure on Jones to be an elite pocket passer. He may not have the requisite arm talent, but he does have the intangibles worthy of a top-50 selection. He’s turnover-averse and will be able to meet the mental processing requirements from the jump. Thus, he’ll likely be off the board by the end of Round 2.

Give me a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and has the mental processing that Jones has and has been a winner been coached by the best.  That's what I want.  Yes, they are saying 2nd round and I'd be happy with using our 2nd on him but I think he goes in the bottom of the first worst case and we'd need to trade back into the 1st if we went LOT first.  We need an LOT bad.

Edited by RWJ
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

RR wants to win now and not wait on a development project.  IF he can't trade for a very good NFL QB that's on a roster right now he has to move up and get one of the Fantastic 4 with Jones being the 5 dice.  

I am still on team Stafford and in a big way.

Trey Lance isn't IMO a win now QB.  Mac a roll of the dice I agree.  Just watched him a little a few minutes ago, NFL Network is showing some of the practice.  A dude like Newman is a roll of the dice, too.  He's not as polished as Mac but IMO has better arm talent and mobility than him.

• Like 2

Just now, RWJ said:

This is why I like Mac Jones even at #19.  

Top quarterbacks at the 2021 Reese's Senior Bowl | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

Mac Jones isn’t the best quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft — that title belongs to Trevor Lawrence. He isn’t the second, third, or fourth-best either. Still, Jones operated college football’s most explosive offense and won a championship with the Crimson Tide in 2020. It’s clear that despite his limitations, he’s the best of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks down in Mobile.

The most apparent reason for Jones’ fall to QB5 is his pedestrian physical tools. He lacks the arm strength to separate himself from the pack of mediocrity — frequently underthrowing should-be touchdowns and inherently limiting the windows that he can test. Additionally, Jones isn’t the athlete the modern NFL has grown fond of. In a changing game, Jones seems left behind in this group of Senior Bowl quarterbacks.

Without the ability to win by improvising with his legs, there’s more pressure on Jones to be an elite pocket passer. He may not have the requisite arm talent, but he does have the intangibles worthy of a top-50 selection. He’s turnover-averse and will be able to meet the mental processing requirements from the jump. Thus, he’ll likely be off the board by the end of Round 2.

Give me a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and has the mental processing that Jones has and has been a winner been coached by the best.  That's what I want.  

I haven't done the research, but maybe someone else on here has. 

How does Mac compare to recent Bama QBs besides Tua? I was never really impressed with really any of them. Always thought they were just a product of being surrounded by blue chips. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trey Lance isn't IMO a win now QB.  Mac a roll of the dice I agree.  Just watched him a little a few minutes ago, NFL Network is showing some of the practice.  A dude like Newman is a roll of the dice, too.  He's not as polished as Mac but IMO has better arm talent and mobility than him.

I'd like Stafford first and foremost with ya, SIP.  I'd take a good mind over a body of talent any day of the week at QB. Just me.  :)  Sadly, someone will probably put a better trade package together than us for Stafford. 

Edited by RWJ

Why do I keep thinking we dont stand a chance to acquire stafford?..I just keep picturing him running out onto the field with the blue horseshoe on his helmet...or the Patriots..or the niners...GQ dude from San Fran and some picks to Detroit for Stafford?..possibly..

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm not huge on Lance early. And I agree that he's definitely not a "win now" QB...he's a high upside somewhat raw developmental dual threat guy. IMO if the team wanted to go that route I'd rather them take a flyer on Newman in the 3rd than Lance in the 1st. 

Mac Jones I'm "so so" on. I've watched him play multiple times and watched his cutups and he runs their system really well, is mostly quite accurate, doesn't turn the ball over much, and obviously has a good head on his shoulders. But it's also hard to not notice his physical limitations as well. He's kinda the inverse of a Lance or Newman. Pretty high floor, but likely not a super high ceiling. Most elite QBs these days have the physical gifts to go along with the mental ones. Brady is the GOAT and more the exception to the rule at this point. The other top guys have mobility and can extend plays when need be.

• Like 1

It's basically up to Mayhew and RR and talks between the Lions as to whether RR will give up a 1st this year and probably a conditional 2nd that could become a 1st if Stafford meets certain criteria.  We have to outbid a lot of teams ahead of us in the draft order.  Hopefully, we see a tweet come across in sometime in the near that says "Stafford traded to the WFT"

This sounds like an absolute pipe dream to me. I wonder where he head this "rumor" that Detroit might be willing to accept a pair of 2nd round picks. I don't see it at all, but I'd absolutely jump at it if true.

Can Washington Trade Just 2nd-Round Picks For Stafford?

A few days ago, an NFL team chasing a new QB might've been picked from a crop that includes Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jacoby Brissett. 

However, that equation has changed. The speculative list includes Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson. And the truly-on-the-block list includes the Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford, who have bowed to his request to seek a trade.

What will be the cost? Nobody knows how the Washington Football Team might view Stafford than our Chris Russell; see his view below.

Meanwhile, few NFL execs outside of Detroit have an insider's view on Stafford that's better than Martin Mayhew's, given that the WFT's new GM just left Detroit's front office - where he was a vocal supporter of Stafford's talents.

So ... anybody's guess at the price? 

Over the weekend, some NFL speculation had it that in order to land Stafford, a team would have to give up a first-rounder, at least a second-rounder, and a starting player. Our man in Denver, Chad Jensen, relays that for the Broncos, that would mean having to give up the No. 9 overall pick in the 2021 draft, plus another high pick, plus and/or young QB Drew Lock or a wide receiver.

That's ... a lot.

But on Monday, NBC Sports' Peter King floated a less prohibitive possibility.

King lists the Broncos among three top suitors in the Stafford sweepstakes, ranking Denver No. 2 behind the Indianapolis Colts and in front of the New England Patriots. He does not mention Washington. (Our friend, NFL.com's Tom Pelissero, does.) But that doesn't impact our point here.

King writes that the Broncos' predicted (by him) compensation: 

Two second-round picks ... Or Lock plus this year’s second-rounder.

• Haha 1

It seems the way of today’s NFL is athletic, mobile QBs.  I think the WFT really needs to follow suit.  There is a reason all these older stand in the pocket and throw QB’s are available (excludes Watson).  If they aren’t sold on  a QB that is available to them this year I’m good with a stop gap guy and hope to get our guy next year.  I think our #1’s are too valuable to trade on a stop gap QB.  

• Like 2