Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

So wasn’t it speculated a while back the Rivera was happy to go with a QB they really liked coming out of college this year, presumably one they had a chance with at #19 or lower.

Can’t see it. Can’t even see him rolling with Smith. Kyle Allen still limping around. Heinicke likely ends up back on speed dial once the hype dies away. 

23 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This seems wonky....

If true that's fine.  I've always thought we were going to draft our QB of the future and with both of the ATH (analytical talking heads) Mayhew, Hurney in Mobile and at the Pro Days I'd expect it most especially if the tweet you posted here is legit.  If the Skins need to move up and they know they do they will get their guy. :)

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not too long ago he was viewed as a Top of R1 type of talent.

Only issue I see with Newman(and it could be shown to not be an issue at the Senior Bowl) is that he lost the year to polish his game.  I'd almost assume if we took Newman we'd have to bring Alex back for the year and choose between Kyle and Taylor.  He did flash some but didn't do anything to wow me but he has the tools to be good in this league.  Has a high ceiling but has an equally low floor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Part of the reason I like this dude's potential

You can be athletic monster but if you ain't got what it takes between both your eyes (the mentality needed to be an NFL QB, i.e., Haskins).  A BIG NO!

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So wasn’t it speculated a while back the Rivera was happy to go with a QB they really liked coming out of college this year, presumably one they had a chance with at #19 or lower.

Can’t see it. Can’t even see him rolling with Smith. Kyle Allen still limping around. Heinicke likely ends up back on speed dial once the hype dies away. 

TH is a RFA.  I doubt he goes anywhere.  He's be on our roster for 2021.  :)

• Like 3

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone know where Dan Sileo’s preferred destinations for Stafford came from?

Just what he thinks or is that supposed to be insider knowledge?

Because, that sucks.

I was wondering the same thing. Seems that it's now been reported that BOTH Watson and Stafford have the Jets high on their list.

Um, why? What exactly is it about the current state of the Jets team that screams "This is definitely where my NFL career with thrive"?

Chance are we have to trade/use more picks for a decent rookie than we would to acquire Stafford. Appreciate the trade off re rookie contract value, potential careers years left etc. And Stafford maybe has no interest in us at all. 

Big call for Ron and the brains trust. Massive call in fact. 

Just now, mistertim said:

I was wondering the same thing. Seems that it's now been reported that BOTH Watson and Stafford have the Jets high on their list.

Um, why? What exactly is it about the current state of the Jets team that screams "This is definitely where my NFL career with thrive"?

All I can think is being good in NY = more money from endorsements and opportunities.

No idea what would possess anyone to want to go there for football reasons.

My view is that Heinicke did everything asked of him as a starter.  So keep him as a starter until he fails.  Sometimes you need to simplify decision-making.  Forget his lack of pedigree.  Forget his arm strength.  What did he do when called upon in a game situation?  Go by that. And by that measure, he hasn't failed yet. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

You can be athletic monster but if you ain't got what it takes between both your eyes (the mentality needed to be an NFL QB, i.e., Haskins).  A BIG NO!

Newman is mobile.  Freaks as for arm strength combined with mobility intrigue me.  Haskins isn't mobile.  I studied Haskins a lot before the draft, I didn't want him.  Newman's physical skills intrigue me more than Haskins.  I thought Haskins physical skills were overrated -- he has a strong arm but not a rocket and throws an atrocious deep ball.

I admit I have to study Newman more but from what I've seen I've been intrigued by him for months.

I know @KDawg and I didn't agree per se on Ridder.  But we are on the same page on Newman.  That alone should be enough for the WFT to consider Newman. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

I just can't get past the feeling that Teddy Bridgewater is somewhere on Rivera's and Turner's radar. His best two years were his rookie year in 2014 and 2015 with Minnesota, when Norv Turner was his OC and Scott Turner was his QB coach. The familiarity is there with the offense and Rivera seems to like bringing in guys that he or his staff are comfortable with.

Watson is going to be too expensive and Stafford is going to have plenty of other suitors for us to beat out. Bridgewater would have to be traded for, but he's young and would come cheap- relatively speaking.

I'm not a Bridgwater fan by any stretch of the imagination and hope this doesn't happen. But if we can't get one of the bigger names, I can see Rivera and Turner seeing this as a solid option.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

My view is that Heinicke did everything asked of him as a starter.  So keep him as a starter until he fails.  Sometimes you need to simplify decision-making.  Forget his lack of pedigree.  Forget his arm strength.  What did he do when called upon in a game situation?  Go by that. And by that measure, he hasn't failed yet. 

When you're a team that's in "win now" mode that's banking an awful lot on a guy's performance in one game though isn't it? Especially when it's an undrafted guy who we pulled out of an engineering class at Old Dominion, who's been on 4 teams in 5 years, and has also had multiple injuries. Yes he played well when asked but it's not like he went out and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs. Even if he had, I'd still be wary about anointing him the starter for the next season after one game.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Newman is mobile.  Freaks as for arm strength combined with mobility intrigue me.  Haskins isn't mobile.  I studied Haskins a lot before the draft, I didn't want him.  Newman's physical skills intrigue me more than Haskins.  I thought Haskins physical skills were overrated -- he has a strong arm but not a rocket and throws an atrocious deep ball.

I admit I have to study Newman more but from what I've seen I've been intrigued by him for months.

I know @KDawg and I didn't agree per se on Ridder.  But we are on the same page on Newman.  That alone should be enough for the WFT to consider Newman. :ols:

Newman has been working with a QB coach in Atlanta since opting out (Lance is working with the same guy and I believe the two of them are roommates). Hopefully, that leads to better mechanics for him. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree Newman/Haskins comparisons are bogus.  Newman's ceiling from what I watched could be a poor man's Cam Newton before the injuries started taking their toll.  A better passer(so long as he's worked on his mechanics) but not quite as powerful a runner as Cam.  He really needed last year to refine his game.

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

If we end up with Darnold, I could legitimately see Heinicke or Allen beating him out. I'd rather Ron suit up and start ripping PA passes, than see Darnold in a maroon and yellow jersey.

If we wind up with Darnold I may be in the corner crying. Find me. And help me.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I'm leaning this direction too unless we can get stafford at a reasonable cost.

I'll say this, if we don't get an A lister and heinicke is not on our roster next year I'm gonna be pissed!

Not because I'm certain he's the future, simply because that was the most exciting quarterback play I've seen from a Washington quarterback in a long time.

His mobility was amazing but what really got me was the touch he put on his floaters.

That's something you only see the elite passers do regularly and we got a tiny flash of it and I want to let him have a chance to show me more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Look, I understand that. I really do. We might not be "outbid" by Detroit so much as Stafford might push to go there (and seems DET wants to do well by him). If all is equal, he could go there over here.

Now, before you throw the book out on Lance because he is an FCS QB ... if Lance were to return to NDSU and play next fall I would put some serious $$ on him being next year's #1 overall pick and likely talked about in the way Lawrence and Burrow were talked about this year.

You're building in the risk that his inexperience makes him a longer-term project by taking him at #7. If there's a QB to make that sort of gamble on THIS year, its Lance.

I had the fortune (misfortune?) of traveling down to Frisco in January of last year and watch Lance lead NDSU to a title win over my beloved JMU. JMU trounced people last year. Their defense shut down every offense they saw. They had no answer for Lance, and he didn't even have to throw the ball. And when he did, the throws were deflating. He's got an electric arm. He just needs some serious time to learn the NFL ropes.

I prefer Lance over almost any other QB option not named: Rodgers (he’s gonna leave but if his cost is in Watson territory move him off this list too), Prescott (he isn’t going to get away from Dallas but doesn’t cost assets).

Guys I would like equally to Lance: Fields, Lawrence

Guys who I like to be our QB but a little less due to cost: Stafford

Guy who would be a good flier: Zach Wilson

Guy who’s trade compensation is too much: Watson

Guys I want nothing to do with: Darnold, Newton

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Is it realistic to think that Heinicke and Allen could combine for 16 starts before we are on our third QB?

• Like 1

Pump the brakes on Stafford

Stafford's sparkling numbers are mostly because of volume passing. He has thrown more passes per game (37.2) than any QB in NFL history. In the important yards per attempt category, Stafford is 20th among active QBs at 7.2 (between Teddy Bridgewater and Andy Dalton). Stafford's QB rating (89.9) is 15th among current QBs, just behind Jared Goff and barely ahead of Bridgewater. Stafford has thrown 23 pick-six interceptions, third among active players and seventh all time. In contrast, Aaron Rodgers has thrown just three and Russell Wilson five. His completion percentage of 62.2 is 20th among active QBs, right between Carson Wentz and Alex Smith. The website pro-football-reference.com has a Hall of Fame metric. Stafford is 56th all-time among QB's, considerably lower than any Hall member and slightly behind Joe Flacco and barely ahead of Smith.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Pump the brakes on Stafford

Stafford's sparkling numbers are mostly because of volume passing. He has thrown more passes per game (37.2) than any QB in NFL history. In the important yards per attempt category, Stafford is 20th among active QBs at 7.2 (between Teddy Bridgewater and Andy Dalton). Stafford's QB rating (89.9) is 15th among current QBs, just behind Jared Goff and barely ahead of Bridgewater. Stafford has thrown 23 pick-six interceptions, third among active players and seventh all time. In contrast, Aaron Rodgers has thrown just three and Russell Wilson five. His completion percentage of 62.2 is 20th among active QBs, right between Carson Wentz and Alex Smith. The website pro-football-reference.com has a Hall of Fame metric. Stafford is 56th all-time among QB's, considerably lower than any Hall member and slightly behind Joe Flacco and barely ahead of Smith.

Stafford has adjusted his game over time. Early on in his career, he would bomb it deep to Megatron. More recently, he has worked the underneath routes more