Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

41 minutes ago, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

The guys plugged into the 9ers are saying Lynch is in Mobile to close the deal. 9ers trying to keep their 12, which might not fly.

Colts would have to offer their 1,2 and 3 just to match the 12th pick.

SF will do well to retain that #12. I mean, if they really want him, just offer the #12 and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I can understand.  His physically abilities I agree with.  He lacks special qualities like Wilson/Lance and is nothing special but he can throw the ball short to intermediate in his passing well and see's the field well and makes good decisions.  That's what I like in a QB.  

Yeah those are certainly good qualities to have in a QB. But I don't think you necessarily need to spend a 1st rounder to find a QB who can do that. These days with a 1st round QB pick most coaches are looking for something extra...a guy who has multiple aspects to his game. Just sort of the nature of the position now.

20 years ago a QB's athleticism was borderline irrelevant. Having a guy with a huge arm was nice but not really necessary, and more of a perk than anything else. And you didn't want your QB getting out of the pocket much back then because he could get killed...so that mobility could almost work against you. 

Very different league nowadays.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah those are certainly good qualities to have in a QB. But I don't think you necessarily need to spend a 1st rounder to find a QB who can do that. These days with a 1st round QB pick most coaches are looking for something extra...a guy who has multiple aspects to his game. Just sort of the nature of the position now.

20 years ago a QB's athleticism was borderline irrelevant. Having a guy with a huge arm was nice but not really necessary, and more of a perk than anything else. And you didn't want your QB getting out of the pocket much back then because he could get killed...so that mobility could almost work against you. 

Very different league nowadays.

Good points.  One thing we can agree on the WFT has a plan and a BIG one at QB and I hope whatever they do it works!  :)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

While driving for some groceries, I listened to some local sports' radio. One of the hosts was suggesting Chase Young and a third rounder would be okay with him. In other words, you're right... I would be complaining that that price is too high and be apoplectic.

Would I trade Watson and a third for Chase Young?  Not sure, but that might be an argument worth having. 

If that deal got us Watson it's a no-brainer that we do it in my opinion...Hell, we'd still have all of our 1st round picks and would get a franchise QB. What a deal that would be.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

While driving for some groceries, I listened to some local sports' radio. One of the hosts was suggesting Chase Young and a third rounder would be okay with him. In other words, you're right... I would be complaining that that price is too high and be apoplectic.

Would I trade Watson and a third for Chase Young?  Not sure, but that might be an argument worth having. 

You picked the only player that would be off the board for me. I really am not a fan of trading any players. I would rather use draft picks. The draft is such a crap shoot. Fans over value draft picks, especially later rd picks. Don't get me wrong, in terms of overall building, the draft is the way. But when you have a specific need use the picks. At least you know what you are getting. 

It will be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So how about Derek Carr? I saw this idea floated around on Reddit. I thought he had a pretty good year honestly. 

Derek Carr lands the team back in the Kirk Cousins level of QB play, which I’m okay with at roughly 7% of the cap. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So how about Derek Carr? I saw this idea floated around on Reddit. I thought he had a pretty good year honestly. 

No, please no. He is as boring and vanilla as it gets. 

However, he did beat Mahomes this year....that has to say something about him. 

I'm only interested in Carr if he comes very cheap....4th rounder cheap.

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I’m sensing a lot of leaks by Stafford’s agent

Yep...or the Lions to get higher offers. 

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

SF will do well to retain that #12. I mean, if they really want him, just offer the #12 and be done with it.

SF doesn't have a 3rd (its ours).  I mean a 2nd, and two future 1sts is the only thing I can see Detroit demanding if they don't get #12 this year.  

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Derek Carr lands the team back in the Kirk Cousins level of QB play, which I’m okay with at roughly 7% of the cap. 

Yeah I feel like Carr is sort of an in-between where he's not really a playmaker who will elevate your team, but he's not quite as meh as a Mariota. Sort of underwhelming, but decent. I suppose we could do worse but I don't really want us to give up a high pick for him. I think the Cousins comparison is not bad. He'll do his job, play pretty well within the system, but he's not going to wow you or really jumpstart your offense on his own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

They have 3rd comp picks for Mayhew and Saleh.  Not sure if they are trade-able or not.

They are able to be traded, they changed it a few years ago which has been great for draft day movement

Call me crazy, but when I see teams like the Rams, Eagles and Packers talking about moving on from their franchise QB's, shouldn't we be taking a closer look at just how well Heinicke played in the one game he played? He may get interest from some teams that we never thought would look twice at him. We better lock him up regardless of who else we bring in here cause he may just be a better option than we realize. 

• Like 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Call me crazy, but when I see teams like the Rams, Eagles and Packers talking about moving on from their franchise QB's, shouldn't we be taking a closer look at just how well Heinicke played in the one game he played? He may get interest from some teams that we never thought would look twice at him. We better lock him up regardless of who else we bring in here cause he may just be a better option than we realize. 

He’s not a starting QB. He’s just one of numerous backups that will get figured out once more teams have tape on him.

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

No, please no. He is as boring and vanilla as it gets. 

However, he did beat Mahomes this year....that has to say something about him. 

I'm only interested in Carr if he comes very cheap....4th rounder cheap.

4000 yards, 27 TDs and 9 Ints is very nice for vanilla. There is no way you get Carr for a 4th rounder. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't the issue with the team, I'd be okay with us giving a 2nd rounder for him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

He’s not a starting QB. He’s just one of numerous backups that will get figured out once more teams have tape on him.

Romo was an unknown til he got thrown in there too....you don't know for sure what the ceiling is for Heinicke. I don't either. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

4000 yards, 27 TDs and 9 Ints is very nice for vanilla. There is no way you get Carr for a 4th rounder. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't the issue with the team, I'd be okay with us giving a 2nd rounder for him. 

Good point, but then why doesn't Gruden like him? Makes you wonder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If we had any sort of a defense with Kirk Cousins, people would have appreciated him a bit more. I'm of the belief that we can't roll into next season with what we have at QB. 

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Good point, but then why doesn't Gruden like him? Makes you wonder.

I think Gruden had his issues with Carr before the season. I really don't even think he's available anymore, he's proven to be a very solid QB and thats really all we need. I just want us to be competitive against the good teams. It's hard to win the SB these days if you don't have a superstar QB, getting a pretty good QB and making the season fun to watch is the next best option for me. 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Bring him in to compete for the starting position. There really isn't anything more you can do, it would be foolish to claim he's our starter after that one game. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda