Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

@ODU AGGIE  The reason I like the idea of OT in round 1 (or 2), is that it gives us competition at that spot, with the potential for improvement, especially in the ground game.  It also gives us a succession plan for Lucas/Christian and/or Moses, and improves our backup tackle position, regardless who winds up starting.

Nitpicking, but you seem to suggest we have 2 2nd round picks (we don’t).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@ODU AGGIE  The reason I like the idea of OT in round 1 (or 2), is that it gives us competition at that spot, with the potential for improvement, especially in the ground game.  It also gives us a succession plan for Lucas/Christian and/or Moses, and improves our backup tackle position, regardless who winds up starting.

Nitpicking, but you seem to suggest we have 2 2nd round picks (we don’t).

Oops. Fixed it. I screwed up second and third rounds. Went from memory. Should have known better. What were we talking about?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If we want to trade up for one of the top 3 QB's the Bengals at 5 are our target to get it done. Philly will most likely go QB if one of the top 3 are left when they pick at 6. the question is what would it really cost us? My guess is 2 firsts and 2 seconds would make it happen. My only question is if it is Fields that is left at that point is he worth that kind of investment?

I think it really depends on how many other teams are in the bidding war for that pick. If there are multiple teams looking to move there, the price could go up very fast. And if we're at 19 and a team closer to the top 10 wants to move to 5, we'll have to give up a haul to beat them out for it. I think it's really unlikely personally. If a guy falls to 10 then IMO that's when we'd be more apt to pull the trigger. Rivera has said point blank that he wants to upgrade the QB position but doesn't want to mortgage the future to do so. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If we want to trade up for one of the top 3 QB's the Bengals at 5 are our target to get it done. Philly will most likely go QB if one of the top 3 are left when they pick at 6. the question is what would it really cost us? My guess is 2 firsts and 2 seconds would make it happen. My only question is if it is Fields that is left at that point is he worth that kind of investment?

Wilson and Lawrence are the only QBs in this draft I’d be willing to give up more than a single 1st for. And they’re going 1 and 2. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Did Guice and RGIII really have reports of "character issues" though? From my recollection, they were both seen as hard working guys with big personalities but nothing "bad" or any off field incidents or them being in any real trouble, legal or otherwise. There are plenty of successful NFL players who have big personalities and do fine. Unfortunately with Guice and RGIII they both ended up having other issues down the road. 

Which, as we all know, was abundantly true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/elijah-molden-nfl-draft-player-profile-washington-cornerback/

Teams for which Molden provides especially high value

In Round 2 or Round 3, aspiring playoff teams who need help in the slot and at safety will likely benefit most from Molden’s early production potential. Organizations like the Bills, Browns, Broncos, Raiders, and Washington Football Team stand out as potential fits. However, Molden’s pallet of traits is one that should draw widespread interest. Where he goes depends on how much teams are willing to spend and if they can overlook his size.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I would take this one in a heartbeat:

image.thumb.png.9593c962da19faf07a3fffab13108f70.png

Anyone who wouldn't be happy with that draft, just go sit in a corner and think about what makes you so wrong about life.

No chance that could happen, unfortunately.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.20.18 PM.png

Love the TE, LB and CB list especially. Gives a nice glimpse at interests.

One of the interesting things with Britt is he called the teams defensive adjustments. 

They have looked at tons of mid round DB's and there is a different cuse db on every list

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.20.18 PM.png

What does all of these virtual meetings with 1 prospect mean?  I'm seeing them listed multiple times for multiple teams.  I'm going to guess it's something their college did a few different times and a bunch of teams tuned in to those.  I'm doubting it means Zaven Collins met hundreds of times through Zoom with all of the NFL teams.

Hold up, Walter Football has listed Private Visits, for one of the Official 30...but those don't exist in 2021.  NFL sent sternly worded letters to every team saying they weren't allowed.

Is Walter Football just making up who has met with whom, how, etc?

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I would take this one in a heartbeat:

image.thumb.png.9593c962da19faf07a3fffab13108f70.png

Talk about fantasy football. Even the last pick is OTL. Anybody that thinks Eskridge will still be around in the 7th round is just doing some really good drugs.

• Like 1

Bruce Feldman speculated that the types of advanced data generated by GPS tracking and the high tech measuring of the game is going to replace reliance on the traditional drills like the 40 to measure football speed.  That's a major benefit for scouting and personnel departments, but I think it'd also benefit the players to not have to go through the fairly arbitrary process of combine training.  But it'd hurt the NFL to lose the revenue from a TV-centric event like the Combine.

All of us would much rather have a tangible measurement for how fast players play on the field itself--how fast they accelerate in X, Y, and Z situations, how fast they change directions, how fast is their top speed and how long can they sustain it, etc.  This is stuff that teams are getting access to and that we're probably not going to know for a while.  Our days of doing these evaluations from home strictly on what we ourselves can glean and having any reasonable expectation of accuracy in the draft stock of these kids are probably numbered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-patriots-pick-qb-in-round-3

This is a ridiculously good draft for us. (1)Jaylen Waddle (2)Wyatt Davis (3) Eric Stokes (3)Brevin Jordan (4)Rhamondra Stevenson

Holy hell. Those guys plus what we have? That's a team that can bring in Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl. 

If we can pull this off and sign a LB in FA I’ll be a happy camper.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But it'd hurt the NFL to lose the revenue from a TV-centric event like the Combine.

I bet the nfl could put together a really cool NFL Prospect Special, showing highlights and background info of players, along with the explanation of how they use the technology to gather data.  They could have an agreement not to release any of the data (ie 40 time) until the special aired, similar to the march madness bracket release special. I'd imagine it would be at least as popular as the combine, which is pretty dry and only watched by die hards. They have the ability to appeal to a larger audience if done the right way.

Edited by KillBill26

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He looks so instinctive and has been productive. He'd be super tempting at 51, if he is there. I think Bolton would be an instant starter and upgrade. 

I seem to fall for undersized straight line athlete thumpers a lot and they never get picked as high as I expect, or end up being as good as I thought they would be.  I was high on him heading into the season because his highlights are so splashy and impressive.  But the Georgia game demonstrated for me why he is a marginal NFL prospect who doesn't seem likely to significantly upgrade our current LB talent.  He's slow and short with short arms and doesn't change directions well.  He's one of the few alpha dog SEC linebackers who will take on Najee Harris solo and win some of those battles.  But running backs who aren't even that special have no trouble juking him in the hole or beating him to the edge.  I think he will get drafted far later than people expect.

In general, slow and undersized is a tough combo to overcome in the NFL.  Our defensive coaching staff is supposed to be one of the best out there, and our top coaches specialize in linebacker teaching.  We don't need a low upside fully developed guy like Bolton.  We can take fliers on athletic projects at the position and get way better results, like Cameron McGrone.  Give them someone with 4.4 or low 4.5 speed and let them mold that player into a starter.  We need fast linebackers in this D.

• Like 1

I watched Jamin Davis and he's a rough project I'd rather take a chance on than Bolton.  There is kind of a lot of ugly in the film, but also some really good stuff.  A little too willing to be the nail instead of the hammer but he takes chances to make plays and sometimes gets worked.  Diagnostic skills need a fair bit of work and he definitely struggles to feel his way through the trash and stay clean.  But he is aggressive and that is a good sign.  And in terms of range and ability in pursuit, it is very good for such a tall player.  He has real open field speed paired with high end length.  CoD skills aren't the best but the length can compensate and if he gets better at diagnosing and taking a better approach to breaking down in the hole, he'll get harder to block or fool.  He'll get stronger too and that will help.

Get that guy in the mid rounds and give him a redshirt season with our coaching staff and you could end up with a really big and fast starter who has an aggressive play making mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I seem to fall for undersized straight line athlete thumpers a lot and they never get picked as high as I expect, or end up being as good as I thought they would be.  I was high on him heading into the season because his highlights are so splashy and impressive.  But the Georgia game demonstrated for me why he is a marginal NFL prospect who doesn't seem likely to significantly upgrade our current LB talent.  He's slow and short with short arms and doesn't change directions well.  He's one of the few alpha dog SEC linebackers who will take on Najee Harris solo and win some of those battles.  But running backs who aren't even that special have no trouble juking him in the hole or beating him to the edge.  I think he will get drafted far later than people expect.

In general, slow and undersized is a tough combo to overcome in the NFL.  Our defensive coaching staff is supposed to be one of the best out there, and our top coaches specialize in linebacker teaching.  We don't need a low upside fully developed guy like Bolton.  We can take fliers on athletic projects at the position and get way better results, like Cameron McGrone.  Give them someone with 4.4 or low 4.5 speed and let them mold that player into a starter.  We need fast linebackers in this D.

Bolton’s instincts make him a worthwhile flyer, but his sideline to sideline speed is severely lacking and will be an issue.

The LB to keep an eye on is Werner, in my opinion.

Werner, Collins, Cox and a few others.

And to rehash a convo a few pages back (getting caught up):

Parsons isn’t on my board and I wouldn’t draft him. He’s a locker room problem waiting to happen.

• Like 2

I just heard Mort report that the Eagles owner Lurie wants the team to work on making Hurts successful not bringing in competition. 

That should take them out of the market for a QB in the first round. That's good for the QB market, bad that it means they probably get Chase or Pitts

• Like 1