Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Find myself nodding my head to so many of DJ's takes, but I don't agree that Davis has great eyes.  I think that's an area of improvement for him.  He's got a top notch motor and range so he's involved in a TON of plays, but he'll get sealed watching the backfield by blocks he doesn't see coming a little more than you'd like to see.

But his mentality and his atheticism and size and his motor are all so good.  He's just a raw talent.  I feel like this coaching staff is the right kind of match for him and they could teach him to anticipate his way through the trash better and teach him to get use his hands to keep himself clean better and get him to become a very good starter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Find myself nodding my head to so many of DJ's takes, but I don't agree that Davis has great eyes.  I think that's an area of improvement for him.  He's got a top notch motor and range so he's involved in a TON of plays, but he'll get sealed watching the backfield by blocks he doesn't see coming a little more than you'd like to see.

But his mentality and his atheticism and size and his motor are all so good.  He's just a raw talent.  I feel like this coaching staff is the right kind of match for him and they could teach him to anticipate his way through the trash better and teach him to get use his hands to keep himself clean better and get him to become a very good starter.

I trust DJ on his evaluation of skill guys.  He put himself out there when he had Kamara as like the 17th rated prospect his year (when he somehow slipped to the top of the 3rd round).  He also had Jefferson as the 14th best player last year.  Everyone has misses though (had Hebert at 20).

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Its not a great year to want an immediate starting MLB whether via FA or draft unless you have a high draft pick and don't mind a guy that forces gentil dipping in teammates

Edited by DWinzit

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I trust DJ on his evaluation of skill guys.  He put himself out there when he had Kamara as like the 17th rated prospect his year (when he somehow slipped to the top of the 3rd round).  He also had Jefferson as the 14th best player last year.  Everyone has misses though (had Hebert at 20).

He's got an excellent perspective on prospects.  Even when he makes claims that seem way off at first, many times you eventually come around to seeing it his way when you catch up to his take over time.

I can't criticize him for being low on Herbert.  I didn't think his film was very impressive last season.  It's hard to put QB prospects into the context of a big board because of the unique value of the position.  They are essentially a yes-no proposition for any given round, and then if you deem them to be yes, then you take them where you can get them in that round.  20 could be as valuable as 2 if the answer is yes.  It's almost like you should just make a separate board for the QBs and then rank them only among themselves and sort them by round you feel comfortable taking them in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Its not a great year to want an immediate starting MLB whether via FA or draft unless you have a high draft pick and don't mind a guy that forces gentil dipping in teammates

Yeah, we probably need to address this need via FA IMO.  But I do trust this coaching staff to develop the position well.  I think that if you draft a guy this year, keep things fairly simple, then you could have a pretty good starter by year 2.  I like some of the developmental talent available this year, and I like quite a few of the overhang-type prospects as first and second round options.  Feels like that position is becoming better stocked in NFL caliber prospects every year, and they are some of the most dynamic defensive players in their classes.

• Like 2

I like Darrisaw flexibility and size and speed combo too.  It's an ideal combo of traits.  It's part of the reason he's a tier above Jenkins/Eichenberg even though they are much more polished than him.  They're 23 year old prospects, it's not surprising they are more NFL ready.

Darrisaw checks all of the boxes for us at 19.  High positional value and a position of large need.  Decent safety on the pick and high upside.  Local kid.  Excellent scheme fit.  BPA candidate.  Matches up with the philosophy of the new FO.  And leaves us with plenty of opportunity to address WR in the second and third rounds.

If there, Darrisaw is the pick zero fans will complain about.  I think he could be the key to drafting a very safe and excellent class.  Get him at 19, Javonte Williams at 51, and then see what's there in the 70s at WR.  Chances are, someone good will be there at that pick because of how deep the WR class is.  You will get buy in from the fan base with a class like that, and build a proper offensive foundation.  Twyman Wallace or Amon Ra St Brown in the third?  Then double dip and get Care Johnson in the fifth or sixth to play that slot role we're looking for.  That would be an absurdly good class of offensive players to bring in.

Rd 1 - Christiab Darrisaw

Rd 2 - Javonte Williams

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 3 - Cameron McGrone/Jamin Davis

Rd 4 - Kyle Trask/Kellen Mond

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

Rd 7 - Damar Hamlin/Jamar Johnson

Would make me very happy.  Lot's of upside, but enough safety that I won't fall on my face.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, we probably need to address this need via FA IMO.  But I do trust this coaching staff to develop the position well.  I think that if you draft a guy this year, keep things fairly simple, then you could have a pretty good starter by year 2.  I like some of the developmental talent available this year, and I like quite a few of the overhang-type prospects as first and second round options.  Feels like that position is becoming better stocked in NFL caliber prospects every year, and they are some of the most dynamic defensive players in their classes.

For me the off season frustration has been that I don't see a solid immediate impact guy in the middle which of course includes being the field general like Bostic has handled. It sounds like this is second to QB on the staffs priority list. There are numerous prospects that I really like between the late 1st-5th rounds but like you point out, they are mostly more developmental for the coming year. When it comes to the FA market, the available players all seem too small, too soft, too slow, too old, or health concerns. I get the feeling they bring in a couple different type FA's and at least one via draft in the 3rd round. If that occurs, is Bostic actually back, ugh. Whatever they come up with, it will be better than the group from last year.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like Darrisaw flexibility and size and speed combo too.  It's an ideal combo of traits.  It's part of the reason he's a tier above Jenkins/Eichenberg even though they are much more polished than him.  They're 23 year old prospects, it's not surprising they are more NFL ready.

Darrisaw checks all of the boxes for us at 19.  High positional value and a position of large need.  Decent safety on the pick and high upside.  Local kid.  Excellent scheme fit.  BPA candidate.  Matches up with the philosophy of the new FO.  And leaves us with plenty of opportunity to address WR in the second and third rounds.

If there, Darrisaw is the pick zero fans will complain about.  I think he could be the key to drafting a very safe and excellent class.  Get him at 19, Javonte Williams at 51, and then see what's there in the 70s at WR.  Chances are, someone good will be there at that pick because of how deep the WR class is.  You will get buy in from the fan base with a class like that, and build a proper offensive foundation.  Twyman Wallace or Amon Ra St Brown in the third?  Then double dip and get Care Johnson in the fifth or sixth to play that slot role we're looking for.  That would be an absurdly good class of offensive players to bring in.

Rd 2 - Javonte Williams

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

Would make me very happy.  Lot's of upside, but enough safety that I won't fall on my face.

I think there's a strong chance one of AVT and Darisow is there at 19.  Depends on whether LAC and Minny go o-line honestly.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rd 2 - Javonte Williams

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

That would be a nice draft! I find Darrisaw as one of the few no brainers if he drops to 19. I do think there will be a DB selected by the 5th.

Thank goodness it is a wealthy WR class

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think there's a strong chance one of AVT and Darisow is there at 19.  Depends on whether LAC and Minny go o-line honestly.

AVT maybe, but he's a guard. OTs and CBs go early. Every year. 

I'd bet Mac and maybe another QB slide out of 10. Figure 3 WRs go early too and maybe Parsons.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

That would be a nice draft! I find Darrisaw as one of the few no brainers if he drops to 19. I do think there will be a DB selected by the 5th.

Thank goodness it is a wealthy WR class

I like Darrisaw, I have some criticisms of him which I posted here awhile ago and it felt good to hear an ex-coach and O line expert (or so they claim) echo some of the same thoughs on a podcast I listened to which centers on his on occasion inconsistency as a blocker in certain games both in run blocking and pass blocking.  I posted clips back then to showcase that.  In short, on some plays you just wonder what happened? But there aren't a lot of plays like that.   And overall he likes him as a player and I like him, too.  I think the fact that he's not this borderline flawless LT is a gift because that's why he in so many mocks falls to our pick or goes later.  He has the prototype style-length. If he was a borderline close to being a flawless stud -- those dudes at LT go in the top 10 not #19.  But he's an emerging player, he's improved throughout his short career.

Right now if I had to pick one at 19, he'd be that guy for me.   He's not IMO the likely BPA.  But LT, Edge, QB are such premium positions and so hard to find in FA and demand so much money -- that can you afford to skip taking a LT in a rare deep draft for that spot?  And deep for LT means perhaps through the 2nd round.  LT isn't like WR where typically highly touted players can drop to the third.  Actually its rare for touted LTs to drop to the mid 2nd round.  

Can we bank on a LT at 19 in the 2nd?   I wonder who would be left?  It wouldn't surprise me if there is a run at LT before our pick in the 2nd where guys like Cosmi, Radunz, Eichenberg, Leatherwood are all gone. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rd 2 - Javonte Williams

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

That would be an outstanding first two days.  My fear is that neither of the first two guys will be available at those slots.  To me, 19 can be a little bit of no-man’s land depending on how the first 18 go.  Would love to have Darrisaw available.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Jeremiah with some out of the box takes add another one.

Maybe it was Jeremiah, but I thought it was someone else, was on Finlay and Mitchell’s show stating that Williams is their RB1 in this draft.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's impressive that he's a 2000 baby and was the leader of his college team.  That speaks to the quality of his intangibles.

I'd say Williams's floor is probably Atlanta in round 2 (they are desperate for a quality RB as it is vital for an Arthur Smith offense).

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Jeremiah with some out of the box takes add another one.

Najee's stock is all over the place.  The NFL has traditionally been skeptical of RBs like him, and they've tended to go in the second round.  I think there is a chance he makes it into the 40s since both Bell and Henry were picked in that range.

If I were in charge and he made it to day two, I'd be making calls to move up and get him from 33 on down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

AVT maybe, but he's a guard. OTs and CBs go early. Every year. 

I'd bet Mac and maybe another QB slide out of 10. Figure 3 WRs go early too and maybe Parsons.

Yeah, I also think Darrisaw is unrealistic at 19. He is there in many mocks and he is by far my favorite prospect to draft for us (going by who is available at 19 in most mocks) but OT is such a premium position that I don't see him actually sliding that far. Last year 5 OTs were drafted within the first 18 picks and Darrisaw is probably OT #2 or #3. However, that also opens the door for someone else.

Every year there is someone available in the late teens where no one thought he'd be there. Maybe Waddle or someone like that actually makes it to 19. Last year CeeDee Lamb made it to 17 when most mocks had him much higher. A nice prospect is going to be available. Whether that is a QB sliding, opening the door for a trade-up or someone else who was supposed to go earlier.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1