Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

That's a pretty balanced take on Browning from PFF SIP.  There are some flashy plays in coverage and as a blitzer, and I know I said we should take a chance on a toolsy but raw linebacker prospect.  But not that raw.  There have got to be some instincts there to work with in the first place and he just doesn't have them.  I'm concerned with him identifying the play and finding his gap without tripping over his own feet.  He's too much of a liability and I don't think he ever gets off of the pine for a good defense because his coaches won't trust him to make good decisions consistently.

Does everyone here agree that all things being equal twitch/burst trumps long speed?

Damn, I didn’t know that Rashod Bateman got Covid and lost 10lbs 2 weeks before opting back in and he grinded it out while recovering. That makes his first couple games and concentration miscues make way more sense. 

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Does everyone here agree that all things being equal twitch/burst trumps long speed?

Yes.

Or more specifically, two things:

How quickly can you hit max speed, and...

How quickly can you get from what you're doing (catching a ball, side stepping a defender/blocker, breaking on a route, etc) to reorienting yourself to gain ground fast.

Obviously top end speed matters, but situations where that speed can really be utilized over the opponents top end speed don't come around as often.  Track stars get less separation than guys with good speed plus twitch/burst.  Chad Johnson's speed was average, but he could turn on a dime and accelerate to his max faster than the guy covering him.

I'm nervous about 1st round WRs after Doctson. So I went back and watched him in college a bit. Bad route runner, had hardly any separation on DBs, can jump high but he has short arms, and lastly, he got a massive amount of his yards from slant routes.

You could see how his only elite trait (jumping really high) wasn't going to cut it in the NFL and he couldn't even get separation from college DBs... how did we mess up that badly and not see that coming?

46 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Damn, I didn’t know that Rashod Bateman got Covid and lost 10lbs right a week before opting back in and he grinded it out while recovering. That makes his first couple games and concentration miscues make way more sense. 

Other than being able to catch and hold onto the ball, the most important characteristic for me has always been ability to separate. 

Bateman can separate better than most out there. 

Bateman would be a beast if he had elite twitch/burst and juice/acceleration. I think he has a great release game and is very decisive, which keeps his feet clean (for the most part), but he has good rather than great twitch and juice to my eyes. He plays fast and is one of my favorite WR’s in this class, but I don’t think his tape shows 4.39 speed. He’s more like a high 4.48/4.49 guy to me, which I’m fine with. 

Someone earlier asked about Bateman and Aiyuk, well Aiyuk had better juice than Bateman to go along with an elite wingspan and an ability to maintain speed in and out of breaks. Bateman however is a better route technician who does all the little things that are highly translatable to the NFL. He’s been comped lately to Keenan Allen from the Chargers. 

7 minutes ago, method man said:

Does anyone know why? Who did they lose in FA last year? Byron Jones and who else?

It sure seems like 4 is way too many for anyone. I just looked it up for you:

Randall Cobb, Maliek Collins, Jeff Heath, Byron Jones, Robert Quinn, Xavier Su'a-Filo and Jason Witten were the Cowboys' primary free agent departures last season. Last year they signed Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Gerald McCoy and Greg Zuerlein.

41 minutes ago, method man said:

Does anyone know why? Who did they lose in FA last year? Byron Jones and who else?

go to ‘over the cap’  they have a full cancellation chart by team. Shows how the picks are derived.

• NFC East

• Dallas Cowboys
      Compensatory Free Agents Lost: 7 Compensatory Free Agents Gained: 3
      Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
      Byron Jones 3 $16,500,000 49  
      Robert Quinn 4 $14,000,000 123  
      Randall Cobb 5 $9,000,000 258  
      Maliek Collins 6 $6,250,000 331 Gerald McCoy 6 $6,100,000 391
      Jason Witten 6 $4,000,000 462  
      Jeff Heath 7 $3,375,000 512 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix 7 $3,750,000 523
      Xavier Su'a-Filo 7 $3,000,000 587 Greg Zuerlein 7 $2,500,000 564

We are starting the 2021 ES Mock Draft! We will have 32 GMs and run the full 7 rd draft. The start date is Friday March 26th. We need a few GMs! This is good time to try your hand at what is the closest thing to being a real GM you can get and not get fired or lose money for making mistakes 🙂  It is a lot of fun. This will be my 6th season participating and I have a great time every year! 

Here a link to the thread!  Please read the rules (unfortunately you have to have those or it's utter chaos!) and if you are still interested please @COWBOY-KILLA- know. He will be the GM for this year - a repeat performance from last year where he did a great job!

The teams that need GMs as of last night are below (there are two prospective GMs that may have picked teams by now). Let @COWBOY-KILLA- know as soon as possible if you are interested. 

Bills

Cowboys

Bears

Lions

Texans

Seahawks

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm nervous about 1st round WRs after Doctson. So I went back and watched him in college a bit. Bad route runner, had hardly any separation on DBs, can jump high but he has short arms, and lastly, he got a massive amount of his yards from slant routes.

You could see how his only elite trait (jumping really high) wasn't going to cut it in the NFL and he couldn't even get separation from college DBs... how did we mess up that badly and not see that coming?

Yep, awful move.

Hopefully we snag a receiver in FA then double up with another in the draft. I’m ready for an overhaul at that position.

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Kyle Yates' (Fantasy Pros) mock draft with trades is intriguing. He goes 3 rounds.

Has us trading #82 and #19 for #15.

15. Mac Jones, QB Alamaba

51. Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

74. Dyami Brown, WR UNC

Don't smoke crack! - Imgflip

McGinn is a legend in the draft business purely from the context of his sources within personnel.  He's plugged in on that front.  I used to have a paid subsciption on that front with his newspaper which I used and would post what I could here.  Now he does it for the Athletic.  Some of the mock drafter geeks like Ledyard love to tout his work. 

Last time he had his personnel sources pick the 100 in the draft -- it more closely mirrored what happened more than any other draft geek.  

The personnel guys could say some outlandish stuff that some here usually don't like.  But I'll give them that often you get good nuggets about what personnel people actually know about these players personalty.  Then tend to know much more than us as to the personalities because they interview those players coaches and others who were close contact with said players, coupled with interviewing these players themselves.  That's for example partly why I knew Terry McLaurin had special intangibles -- they raved about him as a dude. 

Here's their take on some of the MLBs

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.31.04 AM.png

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McGinn is a legend in the draft business purely from the context of his sources within personnel.  He's plugged in on that front.  I used to have a paid subsciption on that front with his newspaper which I used and would post what I could here.  Now he does it for the Athletic.  Some of the mock drafter geeks like Ledyard love to tout his work. 

Last time he had his personnel sources pick the 100 in the draft -- it more closely mirrored what happened more than any other draft geek.  

The personnel guys could say some outlandish stuff that some here usually don't like.  But I'll give them that often you get good nuggets about what personnel people actually know about these players personalty.  Then tend to know much more than us as to the personalities because they interview those players coaches and others who were close contact with said players, coupled with interviewing these players themselves.  That's for example partly why I knew Terry McLaurin had special intangibles -- they raved about him as a dude. 

Here's their take on some of the MLBs

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.30.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.31.04 AM.png

This is great info on the LBs.  But Holy ****, read up on Chris Oats mentioned in the Davis section.  Heartbreaking.

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Kyle Yates' (Fantasy Pros) mock draft with trades is intriguing. He goes 3 rounds.

Has us trading #82 and #19 for #15.

15. Mac Jones, QB Alamaba

51. Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

74. Dyami Brown, WR UNC

IF this could happen, I'd be extremely happy.  

Good time for Amari Rodgers considering the physicality he plays with when he has the ball in his hands.  Another slot option.   I don't like him as much as Toney, E. Moore, R. Moore.  But he'd be among that next tier of guys for me.  This is one of the most loaded draft for slot WRs that I can ever recall. 

This is a nugget from WP today.  The point below makes me think of either Koramoah or Z. Collins because if I am thinking of higher profile type of players that fit a need and also could be a test as for where to play them it would be those two players. Zaven's intangibles strike me very on brand for Rivera as for building a culture. Ditto Koramoah who is supposed to be super smart. 

With Zaven, he has IMO the prototype physique to play OLB.  In college he played mostly WLB.  In the pro's he arguably might be the most valuable at MLB.  So he's a dude you have to dicipher fit.  Koramoah -- is he really a SS?  Nickle LB?  WLB?  You just stick him in the slot a lot, etc.

I said when I watched Koramoah recently he runs around the field like a missle and on that front he reminded me of Jeremy Chinn.  I was a big Chinn guy before the last draft.  And I know Hurney fell hard for Chinn.  They are different type of players in some ways.  But I'd gather Hurney like I did became smitten with Chinn's hyper kinetic style play.   Koramoah on that front is cut from the same cloth.  Also Hurney I'd bet feels gratified about Chinn's play his rookie year.  Arguably he was the third best defensive rookie last year.

I think you can get either dude trading down some.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/11/martin-mayhew-gm-washington-football-team/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_redskins

In the new front office’s first news conference, Mayhew, Hurney and Rivera all expressed optimism that the team’s structure could work. Mayhew answered every question first, and Hurney followed in lockstep. Mayhew mentioned one versatile college player, whom he declined to name, and said he and Hurney were aligned on where he should play if the team were able to draft him.

Archived