Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Najee's stock is all over the place.  The NFL has traditionally been skeptical of RBs like him, and they've tended to go in the second round.  I think there is a chance he makes it into the 40s since both Bell and Henry were picked in that range.

If I were in charge and he made it to day two, I'd be making calls to move up and get him from 33 on down.

I just don't see how Najee slips to round 2.  I could see Miami (18), Jets (23), Pitt (24), Buff (30), TB (32) all taking Najee because he's the rare 3-down RB.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like Darrisaw flexibility and size and speed combo too.  It's an ideal combo of traits.  It's part of the reason he's a tier above Jenkins/Eichenberg even though they are much more polished than him.  They're 23 year old prospects, it's not surprising they are more NFL ready.

Darrisaw checks all of the boxes for us at 19.  High positional value and a position of large need.  Decent safety on the pick and high upside.  Local kid.  Excellent scheme fit.  BPA candidate.  Matches up with the philosophy of the new FO.  And leaves us with plenty of opportunity to address WR in the second and third rounds.

If there, Darrisaw is the pick zero fans will complain about.  I think he could be the key to drafting a very safe and excellent class.  Get him at 19, Javonte Williams at 51, and then see what's there in the 70s at WR.  Chances are, someone good will be there at that pick because of how deep the WR class is.  You will get buy in from the fan base with a class like that, and build a proper offensive foundation.  Twyman Wallace or Amon Ra St Brown in the third?  Then double dip and get Care Johnson in the fifth or sixth to play that slot role we're looking for.  That would be an absurdly good class of offensive players to bring in.

Rd 1 - Christiab Darrisaw

Rd 2 - Javonte Williams

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 3 - Cameron McGrone/Jamin Davis

Rd 4 - Kyle Trask/Kellen Mond

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

Rd 7 - Damar Hamlin/Jamar Johnson

Would make me very happy.  Lot's of upside, but enough safety that I won't fall on my face.

Just looked up Jenkins age, but can't find Darrisaw's age.

If he really is that young.  And the progressive growth he showed in college...then there's no reason to think he can't continue to get better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just looked up Jenkins age, but can't find Darrisaw's age.

If he really is that young.  And the progressive growth he showed in college...then there's no reason to think he can't continue to get better.

I can't find it either.  I'm putting together a list of the birthdays of the offensive players I can find, but it is frustrating that this info isn't easy to get for some players.  That's one area the NBA draft process is better.

My guess is Darrisaw is 21 or 22.  True junior but he did a year at Fork Union.  For people not from Virginia, it's a military academy Preparatory school in central VA that we sent our biggest behavior problem kids to when I was in middle school.  But it also has a reputation for getting post high school football players academically eligible to play D1 ball.  Its football program is a D1 factory that has like 100+ NFL alumni.  It supercharges your football development and that's probably when the NFL started becoming a realistic goal for Darrisaw.   Better than a redshirt year at some massive program where the head coach probably doesn't even really know your name after you sign your letter of intent if you weren't a blue chipper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't find it either.  I'm putting together a list of the birthdays of the offensive players I can find, but it is frustrating that this info isn't easy to get for some players.  That's one area the NBA draft process is better.

My guess is Darrisaw is 21 or 22.  True junior but he did a year at Fork Union.  For people not from Virginia, it's a military academy Preparatory school in central VA that we sent our biggest behavior problem kids to when I was in middle school.  But it also has a reputation for getting post high school football players academically eligible to play D1 ball.  Its football program is a D1 factory that has like 100+ NFL alumni.  It supercharges your football development and that's probably when the NFL started becoming a realistic goal for Darrisaw.   Better than a redshirt year at some massive program where the head coach probably doesn't even really know your name after you sign your letter of intent if you weren't a blue chipper.

I believe his dad was with Tom Brady in NE when Tom was a rookie.

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Is Rashod Bateman a better prospect than Brandon Aiyuk was last year? Aiyuk had a really good year, if we got a rookie that had similar production to that we would be golden. 

Difficult to say.  I'd lean towards yes.  For the record I liked Aiyuk but was surprised he went in the 1st round.  Shows how poorly I can evaluate someone's draft range.

Keep in mind that Deebo and Kittle were hurt.  Kyle Shanahan's offense does a superb job scheming up ways to make the WR 1 open.  It makes it harder for WR 2 and 3 to get targets, as those routes are often clearing routes.  With Deebo and Kittle back healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if Aiyuk's receiving numbers stay the same, regardless of if he's improved as a player.

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I posted this yesterday in the QB thread. But I want to get it in here as well. Tim Jenkins does a breakdown of Jamie Newman which helps explain why I love him as a NFL prospect. 

The statements at the end were bold but it was a nice breakdown on some of the things Newman does well and some of the things he does poorly.  I'm not sure his performance in the Senior Bowl should be brushed off so easily but I understand not defining the prospect by one game.  I fully expect the team to walk away from the draft with a QB that they believe has some upside.  Could be someone like Mac Jones, could be Mond or Trask, or it could be Newman or someone else.  I have no clue whether we are better off spending a first on Mac Jones or a 4th on Jamie Newman but at the very least I expect us to take a shot on a developmental QB with some upside.  With Newman's size and ability to run the ball you, at the very least, could end up with a Taysom Hill type of player while you are coaching him up / developing him.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Difficult to say.  I'd lean towards yes.  For the record I liked Aiyuk but was surprised he went in the 1st round.  Shows how poorly I can evaluate someone's draft range.

Keep in mind that Deebo and Kittle were hurt.  Kyle Shanahan's offense does a superb job scheming up ways to make the WR 1 open.  It makes it harder for WR 2 and 3 to get targets, as those routes are often clearing routes.  With Deebo and Kittle back healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if Aiyuk's receiving numbers stay the same, regardless of if he's improved as a player.

That's an interesting little tidbit on how Kyle runs an offense. I never knew he called plays that made it more difficult for the 2nd and 3rd targets, I think Julio had some monster years when he was calling plays so that makes sense. I keep going back and forth on what I want in the draft. If they think there's a franchise QB to go up and grab, I absolutely want them to do that if they can. If they stay at 19, I really like Zaven Collins and Bateman right now as guys for us at that spot. 

50 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If AVT is the clear cut best Guard prospect.  Any chance that Gettleman goes after him to replace the "Hog Molly" he lost by releasing Zeitler?  Or is their pick a little too rich for AVT's range?

I think it would be in the best interest for all the NFC East teams to build a strong offensive line, if I was the Giants I wouldn't be upset at that pick but they absolutely need a WR1. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Been watching more of the OSU defense and it feels like Baron Browning has at least a couple snaps a game where he just trips over his own feet.  I don't understand why has has so much trouble with his balance.  Direction changes are an adventure with him and he he also has trouble finding the football too.  I think the game is too fast for him, which is not a great sign given he is a senior with a ton of playing experience.

Bad coordination and bad instincts aren't a great sign despite the fact he was a super blue chipper, but you can't totally write him off because he has the rare ability to single cover all manner of slot receivers as a linebacker.  And his motor is good.  I think his traits are going to get him way overdrafted but he needs a ton of work to become a legit good linebacker and he probably won't ever get there.

Still not particularly impressed with Werner either.  He's their smartest defender by several miles and he is their best at block shedding but his instincts aren't superior because I just don't see him dialing in and playing proactive.  And his range, while pretty good, is not great.  So many snaps in his general area where he is the last one to rally.  More missed tackles than I am comfortable seeing from a MLB too.  I think he's got the tools and the head to be good, but not the heart.

I would be staying away from the OSU defense on the first two days this year.

• Like 2

Werner's lack of impact on the games he played in is indicative of why I wouldn't be in a hurry to draft a MLB who doesn't generate big plays on day one or two.  The position is like safety, you can fill the job adequately with late picks.

But Werner's plug and play skills become tempting to me on day three.  Browning is going to get picked too high for the very low floor he presents.  But I could see Werner going in round five or so, at which point the value is there.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Mac Jones never falls that far neither does TE Jordan from Miami.  This draft database this sight is using is WAY OFF on evaluating talent, IMO.  

You can adjust the sliders. I lowered "draft by team need" all the way down and raised "randomness" all the way up. The prospects that fall are hilarious. Najee Harris was drafted right before my pick at 243 in this 😆

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Mac Jones never falls that far neither does TE Jordan from Miami.  This draft database this sight is using is WAY OFF on evaluating talent, IMO.  

Not just Mac Jones and Brevin Jordan falling but Darrisaw dropping to the 3rd, Zaven Collins falling to the 3rd, and Kadarius Toney falling to the 5th round.   The best part is how they graded Zaven Collins in the 3rd, Brevin Jordan in the 7th, and Cameron McGrone in the 7th all as "C+" picks. lol   

Would feel like a championship draft if it ever happened.     

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

Not just Mac Jones and Brevin Jordan falling but Darrisaw dropping to the 3rd, Zaven Collins falling to the 3rd, and Kadarius Toney falling to the 5th round.   The best part is how they graded Zaven Collins in the 3rd, Brevin Jordan in the 7th, and Cameron McGrone in the 7th all as "C+" picks. lol   

Would feel like a championship draft if it ever happened.     

I would assume Dan Snyder put something in everyone's drinks if this was how our draft turned out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Long Time Fan said:

Could be someone like Mac Jones, could be Mond or Trask, or it could be Newman or someone else.  I have no clue whether we are better off spending a first on Mac Jones or a 4th on Jamie Newman but at the very least I expect us to take a shot on a developmental QB with some upside.  With Newman's size and ability to run the ball you, at the very least, could end up with a Taysom Hill type of player while you are coaching him up / developing him.    

I just can't get very excited about Trask. I still find myself preferring Davis Mills, Mond and Sam Ehlinger over him.

• Like 2