Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

19 - Cosmi

Trade up for Etienne

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

Would be the kind of prospect haul that could transform our offense from terrible to talented without having to spend a bunch of free agency dollars.  Keep the financial option for a disaffected veteran star QB to come here open, or keep the flexibility to retain our good defensive players when their rookie deals end.

Set the table to go all in for a QB in 2022 be adding playmakers and securing the OL.  You'd have good edge protection and long term continuity in the interior plus a spectacularly talented run game and some interesting toughness and flexibility in your passing game.  It's either a good cradle in which to nurture a rookie draft pick, or a panoply of young weapons for a vet to utilize.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall watching Dalvin Cook and just being mesmerized because the dude looked straight out of a video game.  You are the one who first did the comp of Etienne to Cook.   And I agree.  Ironically like Cook they have the same knock coming out of college which is fumbles.  Both with elite contact balance and vision IMO.

There were some character concerns about Cook coming out but he's been a good soldier in the NFL.  Etienne on the other hand has no bad rap on that front.  His reputation is being super humble, really good teammmate. 

Yeah, there is a core similarity there, but there have always been a couple of key differences that have made that comparison a little unsatisfying to me.  Etienne doesn't have Cook's vision, and Cook doesn't have Etienne's power nor quite his speed.  Etienne's ability to accelerate is breathtaking and somewhat unique for the position.

I think the Dolphins are going to draft him with that 18th pick.  They are in a really enviable spot given they are loaded with appealing young offensive talent and are about to get two more blue chippers.  I think they're going to get good soon.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

19 - Cosmi

Trade up for Etienne

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 5 - Cade Johnson

Rd 7 - Kylen Granson

Would be the kind of prospect haul that could transform our offense from terrible to talented without having to spend a bunch of free agency dollars.  Keep the financial option for a disaffected veteran star QB to come here open, or keep the flexibility to retain our good defensive players when their rookie deals end.

Set the table to go all in for a QB in 2022 be adding playmakers and securing the OL.  You'd have good edge protection and long term continuity in the interior plus a spectacularly talented run game and some interesting toughness and flexibility in your passing game.  It's either a good cradle in which to nurture a rookie draft pick, or a panoply of young weapons for a vet to utilize.

Kylen Granson in round 7 would be outright theft IMO. He's a very good looking prospect.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, there is a core similarity there, but there have always been a couple of key differences that have made that comparison a little unsatisfying to me.  Etienne doesn't have Cook's vision, and Cook doesn't have Etienne's power nor quite his speed.  Etienne's ability to accelerate is breathtaking and somewhat unique for the position.

I think the Dolphins are going to draft him with that 18th pick.  They are in a really enviable spot given they are loaded with appealing young offensive talent and are about to get two more blue chippers.  I think they're going to get good soon.

With the Dolphins I keep reading they will chase Aaron Jones.  If they land him, I'd presume they are out on the RBs in the draft.  But if they don't I keep reading they love N. Harris.  Dolphins need to rebuild their offense this offseason -- O line, WR, RB. 

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Kylen Granson in round 7 would be outright theft IMO. He's a very good looking prospect.

I love him too.  He's my favorite TE prospect from a cost-benefit perspective given how cheap he is likely to be.  He's listed at 6'3 on his team website but he's probably like 6'2 and I don't expect him to burn up the 40 with some crazy time.  But he plays much bigger than the sum of his parts, and I like him as one of the few TE prospects outside of the top 50 picks that can make plays against man coverage as well as be really productive and tough running through zones.

8 hours ago, duffy said:

You bring up an interesting point. So are you suggesting that Love stinks? Or possibly all we need is Love? I know he hasn't done much in his short career, but we took him in the third round if i recall correctly. Someone might still see some potential in him and that's the power of Love. And don't get me wrong, I was certainly on the Love boat when we brought him in. Let's just hope that if we're dealing with endless Love, he heals up, and starts to perform like he did in college. If that happens, I'd wanna see a whole lotta Love. 

I give it a 9.

It would have been a 10, if it weren't for the Huey Lewis and the News, reference   ;)

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With the Dolphins I keep reading they will chase Aaron Jones.  If they land him, I'd presume they are out on the RBs in the draft.  But if they don't I keep reading they love N. Harris.  Dolphins need to rebuild their offense this offseason -- O line, WR, RB. 

They had three rookies getting big snaps on that OL last season.  They were bound to play like trash under the circumstance, but they could also rapidly improve as those three get better.  I think they could fix WR by getting Chase at 3 and then fix RB by getting Etienne.  If I were them, I would much rather draft Etienne or Harris than give Aaron Jones a big contract.

Harris would be a good pickat 18 too, but I think it'll be Etienne for some reason.  Almost all of us here are sold on Harris but we're higher on him than the consensus.  The NFL is much more skeptical of prospects like Harris than they are of ones like Etienne, and I think he might end up being the only back taken in the first round this year.  He's younger and faster than Harris and has star potential written all over him too.

Kind of frustrating because I was really hoping Etienne would fall into the second round like Nick Chubb did, but his stock has only become less elastic after running that fast 40.  We're not going to be able to get a bargain with him.  Thus my focus has kind of shifted to Javonte Williams, who is the last of the really good tier of backs in the class.

If Najee does make it to day two, I would trade 51 + the second third and the fourth to go up and get him, and I would do the same for Etienne.  I don't really care which of either Najee or Etienne we go up and get, I just want to get one of them.  They are different weapons, but I think you win big either way.  Either you get the best back in the storied history of the Alabama program, or you get the best back in ACC history.  They are a potential face for the franchise with the superstar power to sell our franchise to the broader football world.

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think he has the chance to become a good one though despite of what he showed.

Me too, and their line could get good again if Brooks and Johnson get healthy.  I remember how Carson Wentz used to run around and carve us up with improvisation before he broke down from injury and I would not enjoy for us to have to tackle Lance.

But the indications seem to be that they are giving it a go with Jalen Hurts.  I don't think they will draft Lance.

18 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I think Using a high pick on a rb when you don’t have a quarterback is a terrible use of draft capital. If you can’t upgrade the qb, you continue building through the lines with those picks. 

Any pick where you get a stud is a good use of draft capital.  I think some of you guys are over thinking this position value stuff.  Success in the draft comes down to picking hits, and that's hard to do.  If you get a chance at a blue chip talent, you have to take it.

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree. I’d love to see some trade backs and trade ups that consolidate our first 4 picks and net us Cosmi, Brevin Jordan, and Elijah Moore. I could walk out of that draft satisfied. I might even double dip at WR. There will still be good slots round 4. 

I love the idea in theory, but I would do those kinds of trades for one of the blue chip RBs, not for one of the slot WRs or TEs.  Jordan is a very good prospect, but I don't think he's special.  Etienne and Harris are special.  You could realistically get a 14 or 15+ AV player from them whereas I don't think you're getting near that from Jordan.  Etienne and Harris are two of the most consistently undervalued players in the class in terms of their projected range against their safety and potential impact.  They are the easy home run value buys.

And the slot WR class is just way too deep to justify trading up for any of them.  The Moores are so good, but I can fill that role with a really good prospect in round five.  Cade Johnson is getting projected to go in round six, and he's a legitimately good prospect.  I could see him being an 8 AV player and that is dirt cheap for that level of value.  Slot WR this year is the quintessential position where you let the draft come to you instead of chasing individual prospects because almost half the teams in the league are going to be getting a good prospect at that position this year.

I'd rather go with my guy Tylan Wallace in the third round to add that Hines Ward-like stalwart on the outside, then just see which good slot WR prospect falls to our pick in round five.  Could be Darden.  Could be Tutu.  Could be Johnson.  I'm satisfied with any of those outcomes.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They had three rookies getting big snaps on that OL last season.  They were bound to play like trash under the circumstance, but they could also rapidly improve as those three get better.  I think they could fix WR by getting Chase at 3 and then fix RB by getting Etienne.  If I were them, I would much rather draft Etienne or Harris than give Aaron Jones a big contract.

A. Jackson and Hunt weren't good as rookies.  Could that change?  Sure.    Big seasons for them both.  As a unit it was one of the league's worst pass blocking and run blocking unit. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love him too.  He's my favorite TE prospect from a cost-benefit perspective given how cheap he is likely to be.  He's listed at 6'3 on his team website but he's probably like 6'2 and I don't expect him to burn up the 40 with some crazy time.  But he plays much bigger than the sum of his parts, and I like him as one of the few TE prospects outside of the top 50 picks that can make plays against man coverage as well as be really productive and tough running through zones.

How is he different than Kelvin Harmon, who's 6-2/220, has great hands, blocks hard, fights for everything, and loves football (but doesn't cost a draft pick)?

25 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I hope Kyle Pitts doesn't become an Eagle.  That's my fear.  I gag a little every time I see a mock that lands Pitts in the division.  

Me too.  I had Pitts to Atlanta in my last mock (if they don't go QB and Sewell is gone, who else is the pick)?  If Sewell is gone, I could see Cincy taking Pitts as well (focusing on o-line with their high 2nd).

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love the idea in theory, but I would do those kinds of trades for one of the blue chip RBs, not for one of the slot WRs or TEs.  Jordan is a very good prospect, but I don't think he's special.  Etienne and Harris are special.  You could realistically get a 14 or 15+ AV player from them whereas I don't think you're getting near that from Jordan.  Etienne and Harris are two of the most consistently undervalued players in the class in terms of their projected range against their safety and potential impact.  They are the easy home run value buys.

And the slot WR class is just way too deep to justify trading up for any of them.  The Moores are so good, but I can fill that role with a really good prospect in round five.  Cade Johnson is getting projected to go in round six, and he's a legitimately good prospect.  I could see him being an 8 AV player and that is dirt cheap for that level of value.  Slot WR this year is the quintessential position where you let the draft come to you instead of chasing individual prospects because almost half the teams in the league are going to be getting a good prospect at that position this year.

I'd rather go with my guy Tylan Wallace in the third round to add that Hines Ward-like stalwart on the outside, then just see which good slot WR prospect falls to our pick in round five.  Could be Darden.  Could be Tutu.  Could be Johnson.  I'm satisfied with any of those outcomes.

I don't think Tutu lasts that long.  DJ and Kiper both have him super high.  They have legit contacts and aren't going out on a limb here.

Seeing a lot of posts about taking a RB (Etienne or Harris) with one of our first two picks. If we were to do this, would Gibson be used in the slot and in other spots like the Steelers used to do with Le'Veon Bell? Gibson was a WR in college so you would think this could work. There's no way we take a RB high and take Gibson off the field. 

55 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Seeing a lot of posts about taking a RB (Etienne or Harris) with one of our first two picks. If we were to do this, would Gibson be used in the slot and in other spots like the Steelers used to do with Le'Veon Bell? Gibson was a WR in college so you would think this could work. There's no way we take a RB high and take Gibson off the field. 

I’d look at how Browns used their 1-2 of Chubb and Hunt.  Maybe get both on field depending on versatility, as it seems versatile players fits Turners desire to have Gibson and CMC.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Harris would be a good pickat 18 too, but I think it'll be Etienne for some reason.  Almost all of us here are sold on Harris but we're higher on him than the consensus.  The NFL is much more skeptical of prospects like Harris than they are of ones like Etienne, and I think he might end up being the only back taken in the first round this year.  He's younger and faster than Harris and has star potential written all over him too.

Kind of frustrating because I was really hoping Etienne would fall into the second round like Nick Chubb did, but his stock has only become less elastic after running that fast 40.  We're not going to be able to get a bargain with him.  Thus my focus has kind of shifted to Javonte Williams, who is the last of the really good tier of backs in the class.

If Najee does make it to day two, I would trade 51 + the second third and the fourth to go up and get him, and I would do the same for Etienne.  I don't really care which of either Najee or Etienne we go up and get, I just want to get one of them.  They are different weapons, but I think you win big either way.  Either you get the best back in the storied history of the Alabama program, or you get the best back in ACC history.  They are a potential face for the franchise with the superstar power to sell our franchise to the broader football world.

We dont really need a 3 down back. Gibson played well last year and should only get better this upcoming season. Besides that IMO Williams may end up the best back in this draft. He is built to be a 1st and 2nd down back. 

15 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Does anyone know the status of Bryce Love?  Is he back, done?  I had hoped he would be 100% last year and would live up to his potential.

Sheehan talked about this recently, said he might not regain his form and at a minimum the dude is an unknown still.   Not sure if that was him guessing or it was something he heard. 

I recall before that draft reading that teams were concerned about the seriousness of his injury and there was more stiffness (I assume that came from some medical staffs) than normal and that made them concerned about his recovery. 

Archived